Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boozing.. On the Dole?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I always felt it was there until work was found...interesting how it has suddenly a life choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭podge3

I always felt it was there until work was found...interesting how it has suddenly a life choice.
    I think its more of a vocation ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Well, at the end of the day, isn't it great that they are pumping the dole right back into the ecomony.
    The duty on drink is enormous, so it goes straight back into the gov's coffers. And then theres the employment they create keeping bar staff employed.

Fair play to em all!! LOL

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Social Welfare is about €204 a week.

6 Cans of Dutch Gold = €8
    1 Nagan of Cheap Vodka = €3/€4 in Lidl/Aldi
    20 Cigarettes = €8.50

Do the math and that is 20 odd quid a day. To that you could say 40 quid on shopping a week in lidl/aldi. Thats 180 quid a week. It is possible to not have to pay bills/rent aswell if your in a council house etc.
    It is possible to get smashed all week on a few quid. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Why dont you confront them?

Just ask them there name, address and employment situation and report them.

Orrrrr you could come on boards and whine about it.

Report to

central.control@welfare.ie

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/ContactUs/Pages/reportfraud.aspx

• Advertisement

Lux23 wrote: »
    Gambling helps alot. I now have a good few unemployed friends and they make up the massive shortfall by gambling, sometimes it works quite well for them. Other times Ive had to buy them food for a week.

Is that the online poker that seems to be everywhere these days? I was in an internet cafe today, and out of the roughly ten people there, 6ish were playing poker..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Social Welfare is about €204 a week.

20 Cigarettes = €8.50

Do the math and that is 20 odd quid a day. To that you could say 40 quid on shopping a week in lidl/aldi. Thats 180 quid a week. It is possible to not have to pay bills/rent aswell if your in a council house etc.
    It is possible to get smashed all week on a few quid. ;)

Possible, but there wouldn't be enough money if they went drinking in a pub as the original poster stated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

]6 Cans of Dutch Gold = €8
    20 Cigarettes = €8.50

Firstly, what is the vodka that costs that much. Secondly you must be a lightweight if that would do you for a full day's drinking. Thirdly the OP was asking about people who are in pubs all day every day.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

amacachi wrote: »
    Firstly, what is the vodka that costs that much. Secondly you must be a lightweight if that would do you for a full day's drinking. Thirdly the OP was asking about people who are in pubs all day every day.

U got lucky with that ninja.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

Degsy wrote: »
    Maybe somebody can explain the traveller woman i saw collecting her dole this week in finglas post office before driving off in a 08 Navarara jeep?
    she obviously got sense and traded down due to the recession from the 09 merc 320 ml

as for the boozing you obviously didn't hear but its made a welcome comeback"HAPPY HOUR"

• Advertisement

U got lucky with that ninja.
    :D

Quiet you. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

I was in Dunnes Stores this morning & a foreign man on crutches was buying two cans of Bavaria. This was at 11 o' clock in the morning & the hum of drink from him was unnatural.
    Felt sorry for the guy.
    I felt worse when I got dirty looks from people for letting him ahead of me in the queue. The man was on crutches ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Not another one of these threads...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Ro: maaan! wrote: »
    Now that I'm on the dole I'll be downgrading from Tuborg (6 for €7.50) to Excelsior (4 for €3.45).

Good stuff! 'Dole Ro: maaan!' is my favourite of all Ro: maaan! incarnations!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cheerio

I know several people on the dole living at home with their parents, they have no expenses and basically have the whole dole to spend on drink. Nice work if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

cheerio wrote: »
    I know several people on the dole living at home with their parents, they have no expenses and basically have the whole dole to spend on drink. Nice work if you can get it.

Same as that. They have the clout to be annoyed at the government for cutting their dole in half with the new budget - instead of having 200 to blow each week they now only have 100. I mean literally everything is paid for, no bills, no housekeeping, food bought for them, clothes bought for them. All they do is spend it on drink/cannabis and save up for new computers and games consoles.

TPD wrote: »
    Same as that. They have the clout to be annoyed at the government for cutting their dole in half with the new budget - instead of having 200 to blow each week they now only have 100. I mean literally everything is paid for, no bills, no housekeeping, food bought for them, clothes bought for them. All they do is spend it on drink/cannabis and save up for new computers and games consoles.

Not everyone on the dole living with their parents spends their weekly income on drink/drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

amacachi wrote: »
    Not everyone on the dole living with their parents spends their weekly income on drink/drugs.

Well shoot me for implying they did.

Oh wait, I didn't imply they did. I was talking about the several people I know on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭badabinbadaboom

I'm on the dole and live at home with my parents. I have no expenses bar car insurance.
    Honestly lads 204 a week is way to much for someone in my position, there was no need to raise it. I think I'll buy another car just to get rid of the feckin' money 'cos I dont smoke or drink.
    Nah only messin' I'm gonna use it for a training course or something.

TPD wrote: »
    Well shoot me for implying they did.

Oh wait, I didn't imply they did. I was talking about the several people I know on the dole.

I wasn't saying you were implying anything. Others may infer it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Do they still give you money if you grass someone up for working while claiming the dole?
    If these threads are anything to go by, there should be an awful lot of people here with a few grand in their pockets, seeing as how they all seem to know that everyone who collects the scratch has another income.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cheerio

Sure a lot of them probably do have a few grand, I know one guy who's saving up his dole to go travelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 CalmDown

I can't really understand this one. I regularly see the same people standing outside pubs having a smoke, and much later meeting them when I'm walking home. They're usually steaming drunk by eleven o'clock. I'm on welfare myself, and see a lot of these people queuing up for their payments when i go in. I can't understand how these people can afford to go drinking a few days/nights of the week. Are they going in and having two pints, hoping the drinks will last hours, and then getting smashed because they haven't eaten all day? I could understand if they drank at home, and then hit the pubs late at night, but that doesn't seem to be the case...

I'm able to afford one nights drinking in the pub every three-four weeks, but it doesn't take much to get me drunk these days. :rolleyes:

You mind your business, let them mind theirs. No?

If this "lifestyle" appeals to you. Why not buy one of them a few jars and get the "inside track".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

Show me the aldi/lidl that sell four euro naggins and this doley will be able to afford garlic/cheese chips tonight!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

When I was on the dole during the Summer, I was going down for my last one when my Mam rang and asked me to pick up few things in the shop.

I was in the queue and behind me was the girl from the dole queue and we got talking about how awful it was not having work/college/anything to do. I was agreeing whole heartedly before bursting out laughing and saying she musn't be too bored, as her basket was full of vodkas and cigarettes.

Sheepishly she asked me to go party, good times! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Zwillinge wrote: »
    When I was on the dole during the Summer, I was going down for my last one when my Mam rang and asked me to pick up few things in the shop.

I was in the queue and behind me was the girl from the dole queue and we got talking about how awful it was not having work/college/anything to do. I was agreeing whole heartedly before bursting out laughing and saying she musn't be too bored, as her basket was full of vodkas and cigarettes.

Sheepishly she asked me to go party, good times! :pac:

See folks, all you begrudgers out there but the dole helped love blossom, or at least awkward drunken sex. Surely it's a small price to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

...6ish were playing poker...

Whats with the 6th guy? Was he fading in and out or was he also having a **** while playing poker? :D

CalmDown wrote: »
    You mind your business, let them mind theirs. No?

If this "lifestyle" appeals to you. Why not buy one of them a few jars and get the "inside track".

Can't see why some people are having issues with me asking this question.

And no, this kind of lifestyle doesn't appeal to me. I'm more of a stoner than a drinker.. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I'm more of a stoner . :rolleyes:

I'm gonna grass you up hahahaha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Aw well, I thought the Big 'R' would snap the irish out of the begrudging but it hasnt. Shame.

Thought the days of people watching every penny John and Jane down the road spend were over. Who gives a crap what people spend their money on?

Advertisement