Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,503 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Woddle wrote: »
    What flights are yous on, I'm heading out at 11am so will hope to hit the expo Friday evening, I would not recommend going to the expo on Saturday unless you have to, it's packed causing huge queues.
    Same as. Aer Lingus flight. I'm just checking out the train times from the Airport to the Zooligcal gardens. Are they easy enough to get around on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Same as. Aer Lingus flight. I'm just checking out the train times from the Airport to the Zooligcal gardens. Are they easy enough to get around on?

It's very handy to get around. Last year when I arrived in Berlin I couldn't be arsed getting a train so I jumped in a taxi but over the next few days I was using the trains non stop and there excellent, the zoological gardens is where I'll be getting off aswell. I'm staying at Kempinski Hotel Bristol Berlin on Kurfurstendamm, now it did help that last year we had an excellent guide in Collette from sports travel, must go get directions to the expo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

best of luck to you all.

It's very handy to get around. Last year when I arrived in Berlin I couldn't be arsed getting a train so I jumped in a taxi but over the next few days I was using the trains non stop and there excellent, the zoological gardens is where I'll be getting off aswell. I'm staying at Kempinski Hotel Bristol Berlin on Kurfurstendamm, now it did help that last year we had an excellent guide in Collette from sports travel, must go get directions to the expo
    Speaking to my German buddy, the train seems to be the way to go, as it'll get you there much quicker (30-35 mins) whereas the taxi will be 50-60 mins.

Visit this site: http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml
    Start: Berlin schoenefeld flughafen
    Stop: Berlin zoologischer garten
    Look for the trains with no changovers. Approximately every 25-30 mins.

Also, my buddy is taking me to the Expo on Friday evening, so if you want to meet up at the Zoological gardens, he can guide us all there!

Speaking to my German buddy, the train seems to be the way to go, as it'll get you there much quicker (30-35 mins) whereas the taxi will be 50-60 mins.

Visit this site: http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml
    Start: Berlin schoenefeld flughafen
    Stop: Berlin zoologischer garten
    Look for the trains with no changovers. Approximately every 25-30 mins.

Also, my buddy is taking me to the Expo on Friday evening, so if you want to meet up at the Zoological gardens, he can guide us all there!

Excellent will def do that, thanks. I did a bit of research myself earlier and the name of the station that gets you to the start/finish is the Hauptbahnhos, it's a big glass building. I've also mapped out getting to the expo but great to know it won't be needed :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Maeva

Hey everybody,

I am in a bit of trouble - I just realised (very late, I have to admit) that the registration closes at 6pm on Saturday, and that my flight lands at 6:30pm... so obviously there is no way i can go and pick up my number and chip on time! :(

The only person I know on the race and in Berlin that weekend is travelling with me, so now we're both stuck!!

I've seen on this forum that there are quite a lot of people in the same situation. Would anyone be able to help out? Any suggestions? :confused: I cant believe I wont be able to run the marathon just because of bad organisation skills...!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

Maeva wrote: »
    Any suggestions? :confused:

cash incentive.

I've seen on this forum that there are quite a lot of people in the same situation. Would anyone be able to help out? Any suggestions? :confused: I cant believe I wont be able to run the marathon just because of bad organisation skills...!

To be honest I wouldn't want that responsibility especially on a strangers behalf. What street are you staying on though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Maeva

To be honest I wouldn't want that responsibility especially on a strangers behalf. What street are you staying on though?

Staying next to the Bulowstrasse subway stop... not too far away from Tempelhof.
    And following up on the previous suggestion, I'm quite happy to make a donation to a charity of your choice if that's of any help!

Staying next to the Bulowstrasse subway stop... not too far away from Tempelhof.
    And following up on the previous suggestion, I'm quite happy to make a donation to a charity of your choice if that's of any help!

Thats nowhere near where I'm staying, can I suggest you go on to the runnersworld website forum and make a plea. If your not having any look come back to me and maybe, but as I said I would rather not as it will be Saturday night by the time you come to collect and to be honest thats my prep time but at the same time I would hate to see anyone miss out.

• Advertisement

3. Limited service with the Berlin elevated train (S-Bahn)

Due to technical problems, the service on the Berlin elevated train (S-Bahn) is greatly limited. Please keep this in mind as you plan your arrival to the start of the real,- BERLIN-MARATHON, as the intervals between trains could be longer. The subways will be travelling on a normal schedule. You can find out more about the current status at the website of the Berlin public transportation, BVG (www.bvg.de). Be sure to ask at your accommodations what the best way is to get to the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Hey Woddle is the post race meet up still in the Irish Pub? I still have your number so I'll drop you a line at some stage on Sunday avo villagerunner and myself and about 4 others are heading out in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Well I wouldn't worry too much about how much running you get in in a week, your not going to lose any real fitness in 10 days (as long as you haven't back to back stags planned or something).

Have you a goal time in Berlin in mind ?

RC, got out 4 times since last week so that's my lot - did DCM in 3:50 last year so with my dodgy hamstring, would be happy to break 4:00 in Berlin.

The thought of a nice cold weissbeer on Sun. afternoon is keeping me going now !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭wizwill

best of luck to you all, hope goal times are met

Sorry Maeva, I'm already picking up a number of stranger-danger numbers, and am just not comfortable with taking on any more responsibility. I hope you get sorted. Keep us updated. I'm sure there's someone staying close to you who's not already picking up a rake of numbers.

ike wrote: »
    Hey Woddle is the post race meet up still in the Irish Pub? I still have your number so I'll drop you a line at some stage on Sunday avo villagerunner and myself and about 4 others are heading out in the morning

That's where I'll be for sure :D really was electic.
    Checking out the weather for Sunday, clear, no wind and warm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Checking out the weather for Sunday, clear, no wind and warm :D
    I realize it won't be as hot in the morning when we are running, but 24 degrees and sunny is a bit concerning.

I can't remember whether we get small bottles of water to carry at the water stations or are depending on downing what we can from those useless paper cups that are used when a marathon is done on the cheap? It makes a big difference in terms of how much water you can easily take on.

Will people wear some kind of head covering to keep the sun off? I imagine we are going to be in shade either from buildings or trees in the park most of the route?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Peckham

Best of luck everyone. Hope everyone gets what they deserve on Sunday (and hopefully a bit more than what you deserve!).

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

Good luck to all and in particular to the Athenry AC boys in Berlin. Concentrate on the running lads and leave the 'clubs' 'til afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Best of luck folks - great race and a good after party, hope you all get what youy deserve & want!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

Gonna head here myself (no where else planned so why not). What time is good / best ?

Gonna head here myself (no where else planned so why not). What time is good / best ?

Last year I went for dinner with the rest of the sportstravel crowd and then headed up at about 8/9 pm.

Sounds good. I'll keep everybody a seat (from about 6pm. :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Best of luck everyone. If you get lost, follow Krusty and Mithril: they're good with maps now!

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

best of luck to all doing the berlin marathon this weekend.is it been shown on any television station available in ireland.

Don't forget your passport and most importantly your gels and gear, completely forgot to put mine in :rolleyes:
    Best of luck to all doing it, can't wait to meet you all at the Irish bar.

psychozeb wrote: »
    best of luck to all doing the berlin marathon this weekend.is it been shown on any television station available in ireland.

Thanks
    and no I doubt it, it might get a mention on BBC during coverage of the great North run but you can watch it live here http://www.universalsports.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Best of luck to all. I'll look forward to reading all your race reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭TJC

Best of luck everyone, hope yous have a great time and it all goes well for ya.. Have never actually done a marathon but quite envious of u too. U never know, i mite be out there with yis next yr...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Best of luck to everyone on here doing Berlin at the w/e.
    I hope you all have a great race,w/e....and all meet your target times.

as John Kenny would say " go out there,and enjoy yourself lads "

Looking forward to reading all the reports.

All this just means that my big day is ever approaching :eek:

Advertisement