Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Marathon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mickeybags

When I did IM Lanzarote a few years ago we were running in 30 degrees of heat
    I put 2 sponges under each shoulder strap. The idea being that you were cooling your core temperature by cooling the blood as it passed thru the arteries in the neck.

I know in Hawaii some of the Pro's used iced gloves for the same reason

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

I'm considering investing in a small (light) belt for carb drink, gels and now this sponge. Might discard the whole lot at around the 20 mile mark if I'm feeling good.
    quote]

Yeo, thats what I am doing and I am trainng with it on my LSRs to get used to it. Carry 2 powergels in it (and some money and keys ) .

Weighs hardly anything but belt cuts into you a little bit and so I am planning to chuck it after I take my second gel.

From what I have read, sponging just gives you a momentarily psychological boost - like eating an ice cream - and won't lower your core temperature noticeably. I will be in real trouble if I have to run in temperatures in the upper twenties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hopefully the weather will be similar to last year. There was no wind and while travelling to the start all you needed was a T-shirt over the gear you were going to run in. It really was perfect, cool, clear at 9am but come 11 it was getting warmer and that combined with 2 hours of effort was tough. They have big basins for you to wet your sponge but I just stuck my head in a few :D having disregarded my sponge before the off. You'll see lots of disregarded sponges in the opening miles. And on finishing just after 12:37 pm the weather was perfect, it kept you warm and made you appreciate all the fruit and cold drinks at the end. So excited, I'm so glad I've decided to this again.
    I did 20 yesterday and included a few walking breaks and I think there's a few boardsies (including myself) doing 20 on Sunday morning. The following Sunday I plan on doing 22 before tapering and running shorter but faster sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

aburke wrote: »
    Berlin or bust...Ganz oder gar nicht!

What time you hope to do ?? You finished in front of me in Ballycotton.

A good group of us are going from the home of hurling. Having been there last year it will help for preparions etc. With 4.5 weeks to go its a big nxt two weeks. High mileage and plenty of cycling. Its the diet i have to watch carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

The target has been 2:50 for a long time.
    I'd have good races and bad races all year, Ballycotton being a good one.
    I took 2 weeks holidays in the middle of training, and training hasn't gone well since.

I'm not doing enough miles to be happy nor was I happy with my Streets of Galway performance.

All that said, I plan on doing a tough 'race conditions' long run soonish, and I'll see whether 2:50 is possible after that.
    3 mile warmup, 15 mls at race pace, 3 miles warm down.

Jetzt geht's los!

Alan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

One thing I wanted to clear up. Are you allocated a pen by virtue of your previous best time or predicted time. I can't remember what the application form requested (if anything) and I'm afraid of getting stuck in the + 3'15" pen (previous best) instead of the sub 3' pen (goal). The prospect of having to battle through everyone in the 3' - 3'15" pen and try and find the sub 3' pacer concerns me.

Hi Rusty if I remember correctly you had to proove your time from a previous race but I wouldn't worry about it, you won't believe how easily you get away and how much space you have to run in.

On a different note, are we going to meet up that evening for a few beers, my mate is coming instead of the wife and we'll be heading to the Irish pub. Heads of to find out where that pub is, we went there last year and it was great crack, even the DJ had his medal on.

Woddle wrote: »
    my mate is coming instead of the wife and we'll be heading to the Irish pub.

Deft switch good sir.

I'd be very much on for that, I'll stun the OH with my powers to find common ground with 'total strangers' in a pub we (I) just happened to drop into.

My OH last year actually loved the buzz in the pub, great night. I think the one we went to was on Kantstrabe or at least near to it, I'll find out for def.

http://www.irishpubberlin.de/index.php?id=33

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

My OH last year actually loved the buzz in the pub, great night. I think the one we went to was on Kantstrabe or at least near to it, I'll find out for def.

http://www.irishpubberlin.de/index.php?id=33
    The buzz after a Marathon is somethign great, missed out on it last year after my shambles but will have to do one more sometime.

shels4ever wrote: »
    The buzz after a Marathon is somethign great, missed out on it last year after my shambles but will have to do one more sometime.

Nothing stopping you from hijacking the post Dublin drinks :D

Just looking through an attachment that I have to bring to the expo and they have this written down
    T1*** chip, 02:59:00,1979, inline skater

So I've sent them a mail to make sure it's not the skating marathon I've signed up for. Did anyone get the same

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

Hi all, I’m watching this Berlin thread banter and the exciting conversation of the marathon on the horizon now approaching the taper time.

Rusty, from experience (I won’t even go into that experience for fear of daggers again!) but you don’t need to worry about the pen allocation. I got into the Berlin sub-3 pen last year no probs despite it not being my ‘goal’… or previous PB.

Woddle, as far as I remember that Irish bar we were in (met you and wifey there) was the Irish Pub in the Europa-Center - take the U/S-Bahn Zoologischer Garten if not staying in the same hotel (Exchequer)

Just looking through an attachment that I have to bring to the expo and they have this written down

So I've sent them a mail to make sure it's not the skating marathon I've signed up for. Did anyone get the same

No mention of inline skating on mine, isn't that on the Saturday ? Why not do both ?

I know you have changed your training plans a few time and gone from doing 800m to Marathons but to take up inline skating at this point is going a bit too far ;) ...

Hope you didnt sign up for the wrong one.

I've just checked and I appear to be signed up for both :rolleyes: you can search list of participants, I'm a dope, don't know how I did that and where is my mail with my proper reg. There's alot to be said with going through an operator.

I've just checked and I appear to be signed up for both :rolleyes: you can search list of participants, I'm a dope, don't know how I did that and where is my mail with my proper reg. There's alot to be said with going through an operator.
    So better get a pair of skates then.

And yourself? Whats the plan timewise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

shels4ever wrote: »
    So better get a pair of skates then.
    Or a pair of those runners the kids wear that have wheels that flip out of the heels, so you're covered either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Attachment?? :confused: Did we get something that we're supposed to print and bring?
    I see I'm the oldest registered Boards AC runner, so that's my first excuse lined-up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

aburke wrote: »
    And yourself? Whats the plan timewise?

I will know in three weeks. Depends on my weight. I am a firm believer in this. I have improved since march so i really should break 3 hours. Ran 3,04 in Rotterdam. I might have a go at 2.55 but as i said if i behave eating wise i will go for this. hope to be a stone lighter than i was in Rotterdam so i reckon its worth 9 min. Spend alot of time on bike to burn more cals as i dont be starving after bike like i am after running. Might hook up with you over there. But i wont be going at 2.50. Thats for sure. Best of luck with you training. Whats the plan training wise fir the nxt week.

Whats the plan training wise fir the nxt week.
    Going through a bad patch mentally, struggling to get out at all.
    It happens.
    I'm getting in the long runs though, did 20 this morning.

I'd be happy just to get out every evening this week, give the way my motivation is.
    I've planned a 'paced long run' for next Sunday - that will tell a lot.

Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ergo

feel like I'm running out of time in terms of sessions before Berlin - it always seemed so far away and now we're nearly tapering :eek:

finally seeing some benefits of the miles I've been putting in -

unfortunately I haven't been able to manage to get in any proper races on the past few months but I did run a 10k in training tonight in 39:21 - my fastest for 4 years :)

and just 1 second slower than my actual PB

But, my long slow runs have become a bit too slow, have acquired a training partner just for long runs whose pace is a quite a bit below mine - I'm not too bothered though because I like the company for the long runs

my current up-to-date goal is still sub 3:10 but if it feels right on the day will try for sub 3:05 or better.......

Attachment?? :confused: Did we get something that we're supposed to print and bring?
    I see I'm the oldest registered Boards AC runner, so that's my first excuse lined-up. :)

Hi Krusty, yep you should have received alot of emails, the title starts SCC and there is lots of info in them and yep I found an old mail with my correct marathon reg but I still have not heard back from them regarding the inline skating.
    On a different note, today will be 4 days of no running, my left shin started to throb after my last lsr but feels great today.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Went for my first run last night since the 10 miler in the Phoenix Park. My right shin is still in bits, though I think I might be able to hobble round Berlin.

Daithi BC wrote: »
    Went for my first run last night since the 10 miler in the Phoenix Park. My right shin is still in bits, though I think I might be able to hobble round Berlin.

I had this problem last year also and I found stretching the calfs and using the foam roller on the calfs and shins very helpful. Also ice and the 3 days leading up to it I was an ibrufon junky :D

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

I'll make it alright. I just might need to borrow your inline skates....

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Anyone doing a final 8-10k tune-up race 2 weeks beforehand per the P&D schedule? If so where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

mithril wrote: »
    Anyone doing a final 8-10k tune-up race 2 weeks beforehand per the P&D schedule? If so where?
    I couldn't find one.. Still looking.

Advertisement