Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

I couldn't find one.. Still looking.

6 miler in kilkenny friday 4th september. Asimonov, ike myself and hopefully sosa will be there.
    10km in
    Portlaoise the 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

6 miler in kilkenny friday 4th september. Asimonov, ike myself and hopefully sosa will be there.
    10km in
    Portlaoise the 6th.
    Is the Kilkenny race open to anyone? Any links for the Portlaoise race?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ergo

well, what's everyone doing or done this weekend?

No nearby race that I can do - am off out for a 10-12 miler

Did a 10k time trial instead of a race yesterday, and doing 16 miles tomorrow.

Berlin have now launched their SMS service (you can register your mobile phone number against anyone's race number. Haile Gebrselassie's bib number is #1. Link here.
    Here's my interpretation of the over-complicated water-stations layout!

Berlin_Stations.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

Does this mean that there's no carb/sports drink on offer ?

If it all goes wrong in the first half I think I'll just treat myself to four massages. You'd have to be pretty relaxed as 26.2 miles go.

• Advertisement

The 'Tea' seems to be the sports drink. Must give it a try when I get over there. Do you remember what it was like Woddle?

Also, do you have a link to your run last year on Garmin Connect? Wouldn't mind getting a look at the elevation profile, and also find a place where the OH can give me some supplies (<insert corny Asian joke here>).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

The 'Tea' seems to be the sports drink. Must give it a try when I get over there. Do you remember what it was like Woddle?

Also, do you have a link to your run last year on Garmin Connect? Wouldn't mind getting a look at the elevation profile, and also find a place where the OH can give me some supplies (<insert corny Asian joke here>).

Berlin marathon
    I've never been able to upload this for some reason but I deleted the last lap and it finally manually uploaded although the information regarding elevation seems to be all over the place.

There is sports drinks but can't remember where they are on course but there is plenty of stands through out the course

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

I think I know the answer to this one myself, but just looking for advice or input from more experienced runners

Heading for Berlin on Sun. week and have done 3 x LSRs (18. 19 and 20 miles) plus a 14-miler last Monday. Have ongoing back/sciatica problems and my left hamstring is feeling a little "loose" as a result - not quite twanging like a banjo string but definitely not feeling like it's raring to go for a 26-mile run.

So do I rest up completely and trust that what I've done to date (did 5 x 40 mile weeks during late July and right up to early Sept.) will carry me through, or do I get another 4 or 5 "gentle" 5-milers in between now and Fri. week ?

I've run the last 2 DCMs so I have some idea of what it's like to run the distance, but I've never had to do it before with a dodgy hamstring.

Would welcome any and all advice - thanks.

Hi Jrar it's a tough one, yes you have all the hard work done but 2 weeks is a long time of doing nothing, if you can get out every second day for a 5 miler do but if there's any sign of a niggle, stop. I would imagine you could still get around the course even if you did nothing for the next 2 weeks but your confidence might be knocked slightly so again another reason to get out and run and keep the confidence high. Best of luck

Well my €0.013793 worth would say that the last two weeks is about maintaining whatever level of fitness you've achieved. You don't have to necessary run to do that so you might mix it up a bit with cycles and swims. If neither of those float your boat then as per Dubya, I'd go for some easy running. Soon enough your legs are going to have to cope with 26.2 miles so you might as well give them an airing over the next 10 days to see how they feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Is the Kilkenny race open to anyone? Any links for the Portlaoise race?
    Thanks!
    Sorry laptop broken so not logging in often. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Peckham

Mad jealous of you all after my aborted Berlin attempt. Cancelled my flights today, so guess that's me definitely out!

So, final interval session is done. Time to work on more important details.
    Anyone recommend a carb-loading restaurant, or restaurant district in and around the centre of the city?
    Anyone care to nominate a pub for afterwards? It's only been 3 weeks, but I'm gagging for a pint already.

Anyone care to nominate a pub for afterwards? It's only been 3 weeks, but I'm gagging for a pint already.

http://www.irishpubberlin.de/index.php?id=33
    I went here last year and it was fantastic, as regards carb loading, plenty of pizza huts around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Woddle / Rusty, thanks for your collective input / wisdom

I'm heading out this evening for a 5/6 miler and I'll take it from there - I don't swim and haven't got a bike (not in a gym either) so iroad running is my only exercise option.

Hopefully, I can get 4 more runs at least between now and flight-time tomorrow week, and then it's all down to the day itself.

Well I wouldn't worry too much about how much running you get in in a week, your not going to lose any real fitness in 10 days (as long as you haven't back to back stags planned or something).

Have you a goal time in Berlin in mind ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

The Fredrickstrasse/Oranienburger Strasse streets are crammed with bars. There is also another Irish bar near the Alexanderplatz, but it was quiet last year on the marathon night http://www.kilkenny-pub.de/index.php?location=kilkenny-pub-berlin-mitte&page=home

and there is also a beach bar on Kapple Ufer on the river near the main train station. Was there for a great night for the Germany / Turkey Semi final of the European cup last year. Mad atmosphere.

..... Honestly, i was in Berlin to run, not drink, lol.

But as for the carb loading, if you want an italian restraunt, either find one early and book it during the day for the evening, or show up early, there will be up to 48000 people looking for pasta that night, we were lucky. The restraunt was beside the hotel and we were able to enjoy a couple of beers till a table was free, but a lot of people were turned away. Does your hotel have a kettle? you could bring a knorr Pastaria packet meal and a bowl with you just in case. :D

Aimman wrote: »
    Does your hotel have a kettle? you could bring a knorr Pastaria packet meal and a bowl with you just in case. :D

:rolleyes:

I don't mind where we go, wherever's got the biggest Irish/marathon crowd. Culture starts Monday (I've the following week off, oh yeah).

Back to that kettle thing, I wonder could you boil milk in it for porridge in the morning ?

Well, What I did last year was brought some Instant 'Porridge in a bowl'. Think Flahavans makes them. I poured boiling water into them and some honey, cinnamon and raisins. Wasnt the most tastiest breakfast, but did the job. If you can find some cream, you might be able to throw it in after the boiling water just to give it that milky taste?

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenday/GMXX0007

12 - 20 degrees and cloud. Would be happy with that.

• Advertisement

Just in case you're not feeling the love yet - one week tomorrow:

a week today! getting excited now... :)

Would prefer 12 to 20 degrees but we'll see what happens...me too have the following week off for all the cultural things ;)

I'm very envious. I'm using my last two days of holidays on Friday/Monday. What time are you aiming for ergo?

I'm very envious. I'm using my last two days of holidays on Friday/Monday. What time are you aiming for ergo?

my current aims are:

a) to finish the marathon (it will be my first)
    b) if I do finish, sub 3:10 would be great - I have put in a lot of mileage over the past 3 months
    c) if things were going particularly well sub 3:05 or even the magical sub 3 would be unbelievable - you never know on the day - I don't feel my training has been enough for sub 3 but I know that physically I could be capable of it someday -

some setbacks have included a 2 week loss of training in July due to bizarre non-running injury and also doing some long runs with a friend who's going for sub 4:00 (not a setback because I enjoyed the runs and the company but a bit of a blip on the regimental training plan)

as it stands I plan to go for sub 3 pace for the first half and see how I'm feeling. Also, all depends on how I feel when I wake up next Sunday, you know yourself...my realistic goal is sub 3:05 to sub 3:10 - quite difficult for me to call having never done a marathon before

maybe we should update each participant's goal time on this thread...who is still in for Berlin and any updated times

PS: beautiful days for running this weekend, good old indian summer :)

Good stuff Ergo. We'll probably pass quite close to each other at some point, as we have very similar goals, although I have no intention of running at sub-3 pace for the first half. There be dragons!. Look out for my Boards AC singlet. It should be easy enough to spot, among the other 39,998 competitors. Being your first marathon you'll probably start in one of the rear-ward pens though? If you have a cert from a recent half marathon performance, it'd be worth your while bringing it with you, and brushing up on your German language skills.

What flights are yous on, I'm heading out at 11am so will hope to hit the expo Friday evening, I would not recommend going to the expo on Saturday unless you have to, it's packed causing huge queues.

Good stuff Ergo. We'll probably pass quite close to each other at some point, as we have very similar goals, although I have no intention of running at sub-3 pace for the first half. There be dragons!. Look out for my Boards AC singlet. It should be easy enough to spot, among the other 39,998 competitors. Being your first marathon you'll probably start in one of the rear-ward pens though? If you have a cert from a recent half marathon performance, it'd be worth your while bringing it with you, and brushing up on your German language skills.

I´m not sure what pen I'm in - there is no letter on my race number (on the written letter if you know what I mean...) - I went through a tour company to get the entry though and they put my goal as 3:00:00 - sö not sure what pen I´ll end up in
    Woddle wrote: »
    What flights are yous on, I'm heading out at 11am so will hope to hit the expo Friday evening, I would not recommend going to the expo on Saturday unless you have to, it's packed causing huge queues.

am not flying ´til Saturday lunch time from Switzerland (long story) so gonna have to brave the madding crowds on Saturday pm and hope for no flight delays

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Just in case I forget. Good luck to everyone doing this. Hope you really enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Just in case I forget. Good luck to everyone doing this. Hope you really enjoy it.

+1

Hope yez reach yezzer goals

• Advertisement

+2, would love to be there again this year, but I'll just have to read all your comments with envy! :-)

Advertisement