Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSA / JSB Waiting times Survey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 newmum09

Was put on three day week last year from Apr-Jun. then was on Maternity leave until end of Dec. Was put back on three day on my return this Jan...so reapplyed for JSB on 4th jan. Was made redundant the end of Jan. Went back to SW office to inform them. Still no sign of payment and its been 2 and half months. Went in two weeks ago and was told I would have it last week but no sign...went in this week to ask could they give me an idea and she said no. Any idea how long more?? I am based in Drogheda??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

I had my means test with the inspector two months ago and still no sign. It seems to be something of a lucky dip - for some people a week, for others over six months. Hilariously, my CWO told me, with the best of intentions, that it isn't usually so difficult to get sorted out. From what I can gauge on boards many months is the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm curious, some posters state they are waiting weeks/months etc without payments and money. Are people going to their local CWO while claims are being processed? my understanding is the CWO will arrange payments whilst claims are being processed, both in the case of JSB and JSA. Just curious!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

It seems to depend upon the CWO. I was told by the welfare office I'm not a priority because I'm on the casual claims list. I earned 0 in January and 100 in February so that isn't much consolation. My CWO is giving me 85 a week towards my rent which still leaves me to make up the difference, over 100 a month more. She was out one day a payment didn't go through and her replacement urged me to come back the next day and get her to set up the dole payment until they were sorted. She wouldn't hear of it though. In a couple of weeks if things don't change I'm going to be down to my final euro and will have to insist. It's not fair that you're at the mercy of the personality of the officer.

Thats pretty shocking, given your paying rent i assume your not living at home so therefore it does not appear you are dependent on parents, their incomes etc, i am also assuming you are not married so your husbands income is also not being taking into consideration. How long are you unemployed? and i have never heard of a non priority application. I obviously don't want to know your entire circumstances but it seems very odd the CWO is not giving you supplementary welfare allowance whilst your claim is being processed, in addition i am also amazed she is giving you what appears to be a very high proportion of your rent. Have you considered going to the citizens information bureau?

• Advertisement

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Thats pretty shocking, given your paying rent i assume your not living at home so therefore it does not appear you are dependent on parents, their incomes etc, i am also assuming you are not married so your husbands income is also not being taking into consideration. How long are you unemployed? and i have never heard of a non priority application. I obviously don't want to know your entire circumstances but it seems very odd the CWO is not giving you supplementary welfare allowance whilst your claim is being processed, in addition i am also amazed she is giving you what appears to be a very high proportion of your rent. Have you considered going to the citizens information bureau?

Not living at home, completely independent as the recession has hit the rest of the family too, and single. I only went to the welfare office when my savings were running out, as I saw it as a last resort. Thanks very much for the advice. At the end of the month when my savings are all but gone I'll do my homework and go back to her. I'll have no choice, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Harpic

My JSB is finishing up in the next month or so.Still no job yet.
    I am assuming they will write to me about JSA.

I have money from my redundancy payout left.Its not a huge amount but it has helped me over the year.

How strict is the means test for JSA? How much of your earnings do they take into account?

Any info would be great

Cheers

You can have savings of up to 20,000 euro and still be eligible.

Harpic wrote: »
    My JSB is finishing up in the next month or so.Still no job yet.
    I am assuming they will write to me about JSA.

I have money from my redundancy payout left.Its not a huge amount but it has helped me over the year.

How strict is the means test for JSA? How much of your earnings do they take into account?

Any info would be great

Cheers

Hi Harpic, similar situation re JSB running out in a month, unfortunately i don't have redundancy but luckily had Mortgage Payment protection. You should be grand from what i hear about the means test, the problem based on other threads is the waiting time and what to do for payments during this time. I am told not all social welfare office give notification on JSB running out, my office is a large one so i believe they will notify me, this said, I'm not taking the risk and going down next week to make inquiries. I believe you can go to the CWO for payment during the application process for JSA? anyone else have advice on this?

Update. First contact with welfare office 30 Nov, means test interview 8 January. Got my letter confirming my eligibility today. So four months in all, two months after means test. Does anyone know how long the backdated payment and regular payments start coming through after receipt of the letter?

• Advertisement

Update. First contact with welfare office 30 Nov, means test interview 8 January. Got my letter confirming my eligibility today. So four months in all, two months after means test. Does anyone know how long the backdated payment and regular payments start coming through after receipt of the letter?

This must be a record, my god where are you living (Aran Islands, LOL)

Normally what happens is your first payment will contain arrears etc, it may be a week later, this said you are owed a substantial amount so they may divide it but doubtful.

I am curious if i may ask? did you not go to a CWO to get payments while your claim was being processed. You have me worried as my JSB runs out in a month, i now have to apply for JSA and there is not a hope in hell i could survive this length of time without some income?

Thank you :) Twas in the Bishop Square, Redmond Hill branch. Don't worry your CWO will definitely help you if you need it. I've been given my rent since January and had a little bit of savings to tide me over. It takes three days for the CWO's payment to come through so if you go to see them the Monday before you're stuck it will be in the post office Thursday.

Thank you :) Twas in the Bishop Square, Redmond Hill branch. Don't worry your CWO will definitely help you if you need it. I've been given my rent since January and had a little bit of savings to tide me over. It takes three days for the CWO's payment to come through so if you go to see them the Monday before you're stuck it will be in the post office Thursday.

Phew, thats a relief, delighted you finally got sorted out. I have a small mortgage (thankfully) and am entitled to nothing. Its tough out there, almost 10 months unemployed now, first time since 1986, anyway enjoy your windfall when it arrives LOL:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Finished a FAS course on the 19th of Feb,
    Went to the welfare office on the 22nd,
    Date of means test was 11th of March,
    Will receive payment on the 16th of March.

Big difference to the 11 weeks I was waiting the first time around. And again the staff where brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

do they call everybody for a means test inter view? 2 people i have spoken to say it was just processed through the post:confused:

As far as I know, everyone meets an inspector - either in their house or in the office. Can't imagine otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭eyesofvenus

As far as I know, everyone meets an inspector - either in their house or in the office. Can't imagine otherwise.
    Why do you need to "meet" and inspecter after all the info you have to give via the application form? Seems like they could just kill two birds with one stone and have you apply for interview and do form there and then

They want you to meet an inspector to verify your means. It's an interview, partially designed to ensure you're telling the truth I believe. You also often have to bring documents not included in the original applications, such as bank statements, wage slips. There has to be a certain amount of rigour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 CommDiver

I appied on the 12th of November in Portlaoise and now it's the 21st of March and I have still not got anything. What can I do?

CommDiver wrote: »
    I appied on the 12th of November in Portlaoise and now it's the 21st of March and I have still not got anything. What can I do?

This is horrendous! are you applying for JSA? is it your first claim? have you considered visiting your community welfare officer to arrange payment while your claim is being processed? I fear something is gone wrong with your claim and you need to check it out, this is an unbelievably long waiting period!

• Advertisement

This is my second time, I've done everything gone to everyone but still nothing. I need my back pay as I just got offered a job but can't get to it as I do not have any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

have you been to your local cwo?

Hi again,

I see where your coming from but have you had to survive with no payments for this lenght of time? did you not consider the CWO. I am not sure what happens if you sign off on finding a new job but assume you are entitled to arrears for the time you where waiting for your JSA claim to be processed. I suggest you get down to your local social welfare office quickly and honestly explain the situation, in one sense they will be happy you found work and may try and get your arrears to you ASAP! The CWO will only assist if your claim is pending or still live, if you sign off they can't help!

I've been to everyone, I even sent an email to my local T.D

CommDiver wrote: »
    I've been to everyone, I even sent an email to my local T.D

This is ridiculous. Can you confirm

A. Have you been in receipt of any payments during your application
    B. Where u applying for JSA or JSB (Unlikely to be JSB as its automatic if you have earned enough stamps through employment)
    C. Why didn't you go to the CWO for emergency payment whilst your claim was being processed?

Its just bizarre you have gone for such a long time with no income and equally bizarre your claim is taking so long, despite the delays many people are facing, yours seems to be extreme.

As for TD's, forget about it, this matter can only be resolved by firstly going to the social welfare office, demanding an explanation as to the inordinate delays, followed by a visit to your local CWO, Based at most health centers, you will need to find out what day they sit.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

Applied 8th January,
    It's now 23 March.
    little help.

nachoman wrote: »
    Applied 8th January,
    It's now 23 March.
    little help.

Are you waiting for JSA?, if your in receipt of no payments at the moment, get into see your local community welfare officer, based at most health centers, you will need to find out when they sit. They should be able to give you payment as long as your application has commenced, they can check this on their systems.

Curious, are you living in a rural location or large town?

Are you waiting for JSA?, if your in receipt of no payments at the moment, get into see your local community welfare officer, based at most health centers, you will need to find out when they sit. They should be able to give you payment as long as your application has commenced, they can check this on their systems.

Curious, are you living in a rural location or large town?

I had just completed a fas course, so I dunno about JSA, and i'm living in the suburbs of dublin.
    (thanks for the advice).

nachoman wrote: »
    I had just completed a fas course, so I dunno about JSA, and i'm living in the suburbs of dublin.
    (thanks for the advice).

It may be that because you were on a fas course, this replaced your claim, i understand you can not get JSA when doing certain FAS courses, instead FAS pay an allowance as such. You need to get down to the social welfare office now your course as ended to find out what is the status of your JSA claim.

If you are living at home with no dependents your claim may not be considered priority but do check this out! The CWO will normally only assist with emergency cases, for example people paying rent, mortgages etc

• Advertisement

It may be that because you were on a fas course, this replaced your claim, i understand you can not get JSA when doing certain FAS courses, instead FAS pay an allowance as such. You need to get down to the social welfare office now your course as ended to find out what is the status of your JSA claim.

If you are living at home with no dependents your claim may not be considered priority but do check this out! The CWO will normally only assist with emergency cases, for example people paying rent, mortgages etc

I'll do that thanks

Advertisement