Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSA / JSB Waiting times Survey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Xander82

Mullingar office. Its week 12 now and still have not been means tested or received any correspondence. Live with girlfriend who is a full time student and puts herself 100% through college with no grant- as she works part-time to support herself I get €49 from Comm Welfare Officer a week. I can't go on much longer on 49 a week especially with Xmas coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lirael

applied for jb 30 sept in fermoy

got it after 10 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

This maybe a stupid suggestion but what if you went to the social welfare officers office and just queed up for a meeting with them. I think they might be there one day a week depending on the office actually doing interviews. I know I was told that I could I either go them or wait for them to come to me(which I'd probably still be waiting for)
    Does the welfare officer not tell you anything about how long ou can expect??
    I hope you get it before xmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭flickarius

My wife (who is from Transylvania) had to wait 2 years as resident here before she could sign on and applied for JSA on 13th August in Louth. Now 16 weeks later she is still waiting! The man at our Local office told her someone else who applied at the same time she did got it after 8 weeks.
    She was given a no for the office in Drogheda and rang three times being given the same answer "we're very sorry but we're busy, we'll have it processed as soon as possible"! She rang this week a few times and the phone just rang out. How long should it take to process one application??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭RebelGirrrl

Cprh wrote: »
    So, it took 22 weeks altogether.

I got the full rate, but they only back dated it to the 4th of July and not the 27th of May, so I effectively missed out on 8 weeks give or take.

They didn't really explain why except that it had something to do with my means test.

I am fairly happy that I'm on the full rate now though.

Hope this helps anyone still waiting.

By the way - absolutely anyone who has a social welfare payment application "pending" can apply to the local CWO Community Welfare Officer for an interim payment or set of payments until you are processed.

Don't go hungry!!!!!!!!

How exactly does the Community Welfare Officer work and how long does it take?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Cprh

How exactly does the Community Welfare Officer work and how long does it take?

OK, AFIK you go to the Community Welfare officer only after you've applied for a social welfare payment at your local social welfare office. It will take anything from a few weeks to a few months tro be processed so you need money in the mean time.

Your local CWO will be in your local health centre on certain times. You go to them with all the usual documents etc and tell him/her that you've applied for your benefits and are waiting to be processed.

They might give you payment on the spot or probably have it sorted by the next week.

You will then be able to get your payment each week until your original application is granted or declined.

If it is declined you WONT have to pay back anything you got from the CWO, so it's in your best interests to go to the CWO asap.

Normally people are back paid the full amount they are owed after processing - however if you have been recieving payments from the CWO the full amount you have been already paid by the CWO will be deducted from your back paid dole and you'll be given the balance.

I hope this makes sense.

citizens information should have more detail on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 indiaguy

Signed on the 1st July,got the approval today.
    The CWO sorted me out in November.
    Small town in South Tipp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Debbiefarrell82

Hi,

I applied for Jobseekers allowance in October, I had my means test last week in their offices. Any idea how long more this will take? All the paperwork that they need i.e bank statements are with them. Will it be before Christmas? It's the Blanchardstown office in Dublin. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Applied the 27th of november told i can start collecting it the 15th of december, thank god it was before x mas.. finglas offices

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mola1

I applied in April for Jobseekers Benefit and it may be because I was single and had a child that I got a letter about a week later to say that I could collect it from the post office on the Friday! Guess I was one of the lucky ones! :) Im in donegal By the way!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

What are the waiting times like in Maynooth at the moment?
    I applied for Job seekers Benefit (no means test) on 21st December so my application is probably going to take longer because of the Xmas holidays.
    I'm living off an overdraft and need to get my car back on the road so I really need the money soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Applied for 1 parent 23rd Sept - 16 weeks this week. Supposidly the officer retired & no one to replace him. Im sorry & i dont want to be rude but how is that anything to do with me. When I ring the office they answer & then hang up by slamming phone down. I understand people are busy but not too busy to pick up the phone & slam it down..

Ill be evicted or in jail by the time it comes through. Anyone any advice apart from going down & causing a scene? Im very frustrated now TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Xander82

I'm now waiting 19 weeks. I had means test a month ago. I ring up the office and ask and they tell me they can do nothing that I need to wait. I go in to the office and the same thing. What can I do now? I thought getting the means test over with and approved would mean I'd get my money that they owe me???

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mola1

:eek: I think I spoke too soon!! Went upto social office in Ballybofey,Donegal today to sign and as i got a letter to say I had to apply for JSA as my stamps was finishing i asked them how long I had left, the lady in there said 8 days she says "thats 6 plus another 4" and said it twice before I corrected her!! Then she told me that she would soon forward my application onto their main donegal office were they can decide when to process it, even though I applied over two weeks ago:mad: they seem to have had my application layin in the office since then, i asked her what happens if its not through when my JSB finishes to which she replies "well your not on one parent are you!" as in to say get him to support you, along with the mortgage etc his money alone just isnt enough, duno what il do if its not processed in time :( people in those offices really annoy me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mindymar

Just got a letter from social welfare office in dun laoghaire, i applied for JSB in sept, it was denied end of oct, i appealed straight away and just got a letter in post yesterday saying ot show up at office tomorrow morning re JSB but no indication of what that's about. Does this mean they're going to let me sign on?
    Anyone have any experience of appeals interviews and what they involve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

mindymar wrote: »
    Just got a letter from social welfare office in dun laoghaire, i applied for JSB in sept, it was denied end of oct, i appealed straight away and just got a letter in post yesterday saying ot show up at office tomorrow morning re JSB but no indication of what that's about. Does this mean they're going to let me sign on?

Sounds to me like they want to hear your appeal out, as in the reasons why you are appealing in person, probably in the format of a quick interview behind closed doors as oppossed to at a hatch. I think if it were confirmation of a successful appeal, they would just confirm that by letter. Hope I'm wrong and even if it is as I think, you may get it yet. What do others think? Best of luck op/.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I really wish mine would come, I'm only waiting 4 weeks including Christmas but I really need the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

baxterfly wrote: »
    I applied March 30th for jobseekers benefit. I was told 4 to 5 weeks.
    Now today I was told it would be around another 3 weeks. Im not even means tested.

THe woman in the SW office also said they were understaffed. Of course they are. So it looks like around 7 weeks before I get anything. This is in Kilbarrack, Dublin.

If they are understaffed, then why don't you suggest that you would be interested in applying for a job there, if you have office experience. Why not? I know I would and it would show them that you are interested in further work. It cannot be that complicated as it is fairly repetitive work!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

mindymar wrote: »

Many years ago in another lifetime, I was refused JSB, although it had a different title then! I was working in the financial sector at the time and there was a redundancy package and by and large, the general feeling was, we should not be getting any benefit, even though we had been paying into the system for years and years. I appealed it and went before a 3 person panel. I presented myself well because I came prepared. I had it all down on paper, how long I was contributing, why I was made redundant, and that I was very proactive in seeking more work and training.

If you have been contributing to the system, you have every right to appeal. But present yourself well, be composed and speak up for yourself, without losing the head, and don't wimper....they need to know they are dealing with someone who is very capable and to them, will look like being very employable in the near future. They don't want a fight on their hands. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

suitseir wrote: »
    If they are understaffed, then why don't you suggest that you would be interested in applying for a job there, if you have office experience. Why not? I know I would and it would show them that you are interested in further work. It cannot be that complicated as it is fairly repetitive work!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: It's a civil service job, you'd have to apply to them to be put on a panel of potential staff if a position was made available.

As for myself, I signed on at the start of November on a Thursday, had my first payment the following Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I've been waiting 7 months, (working part-time, but only earning roughly 400e a month).

Started a thread about it on here. Never thought it could take this long. If anyone has any advice about anythinh I may be able to speed this up it'd be much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭MeerKat17

I applied for JA in Galway in august, I finally got my interview and means test on the 21st December, and I am due to get my first payment on Friday.
    5 MONTHS waiting!:mad::eek::(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

I applied for JSA today and getting a full weeks dole on Wedneday. I was extremely surprized how fast it was. In KK by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭moggie4000

Hey ,

I am on JSB at the moment and come off it next September. What happens then, do i need to apply for JSA or do the social welfare notify me, obviously thats if i don't get a job in the mean time?

Also, the means test - how does it operate, what do they take into account etc? Would like to hear from someone who has been through the means test.

Cheers

Moggie

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭poppet84

My JSB took 1 week to processand collected it thenext week! This was in Dublin!! I was very shocked!!

Yeh, I think they send you a letter just before JSB runs out.The means test is about what you have in your savings, they look at bank statements, other halves/parents income if you live together etc!Haven't been through it myself though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

12 days in tallaght! 5 star public sector service!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bigmom3

I am waiting since July to receive anything from the Social welfare. I have been asked for everything including a years amount of bank statements and two profit and loss accounts for my husband who is unfortunately self-employed. We have 3 small kids and I have worked up until I had the children. To be honest we couldn't afford child minders and to run to vehiles. It is rediculous. The goverment cut childs allowance increase cost of living and won't help out when people are trying to go through the proper channels.:mad: We are based in Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Social Welfare Office: Bishop's St
    Social Welfare Payment: JSA - casual
    Application Date: 2 Dec 09
    Date informed of means test appointment, if applicable*: 4 Jan
    Date of means test appointment: 8 Jan
    Weeks from Application to Payment: Still waiting after 11 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭crispsandwiches

any idea on delay between claim and receieving dole, visited by inspector in house in dec but still not heard anything yet as claim still with deciding officer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I applied for dis allowance in Sep 09, i got a letter over xmas saying i would have to do an means interview and maybe a medical exam. I was called for the means interview on the 15th Feb, the woman who interviewed me said i would get a letter in the post.

Still waiting for the letter? Anyone got any times on how long it usually takes?

Advertisement