Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSA / JSB Waiting times Survey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

When people say a 15 week waiting period for example do they mean from the date of application or from the date of the interview with the inspector? I just had my interview yesterday in Galway. Any thoughts welcomed..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

It took me two weeks to get it in Mullingar.I applied in September. I was delighted but of course it was too good to be true! They then made a mistake through filing me in the wrong place and cut me off completely, it took me weeks to get it sorted but I finally got backpay and back on the system.

Top tip I would give to anyone who's having a problem with them, always take the name of the person you're dealing with. After weeks of fake promises from them, I went in to get assured that I would get my money for a third time. This time I said to the girl was 'Can I take your name in case something goes wrong AGAIN'. She immediately looked really shifty and worried. Got put back on the system the next day :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭KetchupKid

I finally received my JSB 2 weeks ago after waiting 17 weeks (Galway office). The funny thing was, when I finally received the letters in the post, I got 2 contradictory letters regarding the date for signing on and one was hand written, but part of it was illegible. After waiting so long and finally receiving the letter, but I couldn't read it. When I showed the letter to the lady in the PO, she said that was common and I had to go to the PO everyday for almost a week and she would scan my card to confirm if my funds were ready for collection until we could confirm the actual collection date.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

waiting for jsa on ballina for 22 weeks now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mindymar

Hi, applied for JSB and JSA in Dun Laoghaire at start of September, got letter end of September refusing me for JSB, I've appealed but no word back. Came home yest and had letter in post inviting me for JSA interview tmw, confused! is it possible to qualify for JSA if not qualified for JSB? didn't think it was... also they sent me a list of docs to bring but haven't asked for any evidence of job seeking, should i bring some anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

yes, you can qualify for JSA if you don't qualify for JSB.

JSB is based on PRSI contributions and JSA is means tested.

If you want you can bring in evidence of jobseeking but it's unlikely they'll ask for it at this interview which is just a means test.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Mindy, I'm waiting for JSA from Dun Laoghaire too.

(And yes, as Xiney says, JSA is for those of us who don't qualify for JSB).

I'm over 25, so the means testing isn't quite as strict as it is for under 25s - if you're under 25, your parents' income will be taken into account.

For me as an over 25, they just wanted: *a form which they should have given you already (sorry I dont' remember the name/number of the form, but I was told to complete it when I first applied - this was AFTER the first application form I completed), *birth cert, *proof of address (i.e. a bill or a letter from the bank with your address), *my last six months bank statements - I have both a current account and a savings account, to be safe I brought the last 6 statements for both accounts. They didn't ask for evidence of job seeking yet, i don't know if they will do so in the future. If you have been applying for jobs, I don't think it'd hurt to bring printouts of your application letters etc - no harm giving them more supporting docs rather than less!

That was all I was asked for, though I'm still waiting, so can't be 100% sure that's all you need. I've been waiting about 6 weeks now (since 3rd week in Sept), but am anticipating a wait of another few months at least :(

They'll advise you of a Community Welfare Officer in your neighbourhood who can help you out if you're really stuck for cash in the short-term - I haven't availed of this yet, so can't tell you more.

Good luck!

Thanks Xiney and Camilla, do they let you know on the spot if you qualify and you're just waiting for it to be processed now or you still don't know if you've qualified? I don't think i will qualify as I'm in college one day a week but citizen's information said that being able to work full time meant 30hours or more which i can easily do working 9-6 four days a week. fingers crossed but i don't hold out much hope! Thanks for the replies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭howiya

I waited just under two weeks when I signed on in August. That's in Dublin 24

Had my means test interview this morning, it was very quick and she was quite nice, basically she said that my case is a grey area and it's a discretionary thing but sounded like it wouldnt go my way. Forgot to ask what the waiting times were, oops! Hopefully its not really months and months, that'd be awful!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

mindymar wrote: »
    Had my means test interview this morning, it was very quick and she was quite nice, basically she said that my case is a grey area and it's a discretionary thing but sounded like it wouldnt go my way. Forgot to ask what the waiting times were, oops! Hopefully its not really months and months, that'd be awful!

I think the whole application is sketchy, they said to me they would contact me. I haven't received a payment in a week and the one b4 that was 34euro. What are u supposed to do? I called them again and they said to go in on a friday morning, didnt tell me to bring anything. What happens in this means test and also what are they gonna say when I dont have any rejection letters as no employer has the decency to even send on these days! So frustrating!!!!!!:mad:

Also does anyone know anything about the ce schemes? Apparently I'm one month off being eligible. Is there anyway they'd let it slide although seeing as im on no payment noe that would be hard to believe.

Please anyone know anything about this?

Hi Susan, they didnt look for letters at the means test at all, just took the docs they'd asked me to bring, copied them and i was on my way! wouldn't really call it an interview at all to be honest, she didn't ask me anything at all except few things on a form like do i have any property, forest or farmland. nothing probing! Kicking myself for not asking about the processing time tho!
    Re not having rejection letters I wouldnt worry too much about it, you don't need them for the means test but if they ask you can always just bring the letters that you've sent. I wasnt getting any rejection letters for ages so started applying for jobs i knew i'd never get as well as jobs i would've got in the old days, by widening the net like that it shows i'm trying everything and i got a couple of rejection letters out of it too. hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hey all,

I'm being let go tomorrow after just over 4 years thanks to the recruitment moratorium in the public sector. :(

I wouldn't mind so much except that I've never been busier and my employer has appealed the decision (twice) without success as even they recognize the problems it'll cause for the organisation (I'm an IT administrator/manager you see with only 1 other person - who's hours have also been cut way back -supporting an estate of over 5000 users, 45 servers and 1800 PCs in multiple sites), but the beancounters in the Department of Finance say no, so...

Although it's probably nothing new to anyone who's been through this, to say I'm scared ****less would be an understatement! I've been in the lucky position that I've always been working since I left college, so I haven't a clue where to even start with this whole thing.

I gather I need this UP1 form and a pile of supporting documents (birth cert, P45, proof of looking for work) before I go in on Monday I assume, but after that I haven't a clue what I'm entitled to or should ask.

Any idea how long it takes to process in Cavan? Sorry for the somwhat rambling post.. :o

Cheers

Well they havent actually told me to bring anything in so maybe i'll just go see what the deal is! I wish to god I just got a job before now, its such a nightmare.. Is anyone at the stage where they will take just about anything.

Re last question, I just brought in my id, proof of address and I think some tax form that wasn't my p45 as I hadn't gotten it yet(they told me I could mail it on to them when I received it which I did) I didnt bring any proof of looking for jobs, I think when your laid off its a bit different that way..

Anyway good luck with the job hunting you may get lucky! I am still waiting for my luck to kick in!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ak51535

well, I got my JSB shortly after a month of applying, am really happy with it, especially after hearing the horror stories on this!
    Best of luck to all and hope ya get ur jobseekers soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Gentle Giant

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Hey all,

I'm being let go tomorrow after just over 4 years thanks to the recruitment moratorium in the public sector. :(

I wouldn't mind so much except that I've never been busier and my employer has appealed the decision (twice) without success as even they recognize the problems it'll cause for the organisation (I'm an IT administrator/manager you see with only 1 other person - who's hours have also been cut way back -supporting an estate of over 5000 users, 45 servers and 1800 PCs in multiple sites), but the beancounters in the Department of Finance say no, so...

Although it's probably nothing new to anyone who's been through this, to say I'm scared ****less would be an understatement! I've been in the lucky position that I've always been working since I left college, so I haven't a clue where to even start with this whole thing.

I gather I need this UP1 form and a pile of supporting documents (birth cert, P45, proof of looking for work) before I go in on Monday I assume, but after that I haven't a clue what I'm entitled to or should ask.

Any idea how long it takes to process in Cavan? Sorry for the somwhat rambling post.. :o

Cheers
    You'll need to bring a Driving licence or Passport for ID and proof of address bills, bank statements etc issued within the last 2 months. Bring your PRSI card or some document with your PRSI # and if you have any evidence of applying for work emails you sent etc I'd bring those. Ask about Mortgage Interest Supplement or Rent Supplement

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Hey all, just to let you know, I just received by JSA from Dun Laoghaire, less than 7 weeks after applying!! Received a lump sum for the payments backdated to my application date too.

Very damn relieved and huge kudos to Dun Laoghaire SWO who, from what I've read on this thread, may be the quickest in Ireland for JSA (in my experience anyway!) Thanks guys, the wolf is retreating a bit from the door :)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

JSA Carlow received within 3 wks :)

Applied for rent supplement while i was waiting and received an emergency payment in 3 days.
    I recommend anyone look in to that, contact your local community welfare office for forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Due to come off Jobs seekers benefit on the 23rd of Dec...Ive filled all the forms out for Job seekers allowance and handed them back in last week..

Just wondering how long it will take them to process this in wexford..

I got my JSA after 3 weeks. Think it helps if you try and have your means test as soon as possible!

Does anyone know if a person on the dole a year can get back to education allowance, if they already have a degree??:confused:

• Advertisement

Still waiting to hear back from appeals office on JSB altho they sent a letter saying that would take about four weeks. No word back on JSA although by sounds of things that takes months. Not holding out much hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

Anyone know what the waiting times are like for JSB in Cork City and what the queues are like?
    I am also moving to a town outside Cork during my temp layoff, can i request to change post office for collection of my money?

Thanks

Jockey

jockey#1 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the waiting times are like for JSB in Cork City and what the queues are like?
    I am also moving to a town outside Cork during my temp layoff, can i request to change post office for collection of my money?

Thanks

Jockey

You have to call the social welfare office to change the collection offfice. They can give you the number in the post office you collect your "wages" in. I think you just have to fill out a form and bring it to your new local office.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭dustyrip

mindymar wrote: »
    Still waiting to hear back from appeals office on JSB altho they sent a letter saying that would take about four weeks. No word back on JSA although by sounds of things that takes months. Not holding out much hope!

You will have to go down to the head office yourself and sort it out. The SW system isso badly run that if you just sit back and do nothing you won't get anywhere with them for ages, especially if you don't have enough stamps built up.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Just got mine in the post now after applying for JSA in July at Blanchardstown, so nearly 6 months.

Such a relief, I was down to my last few pennies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Any one Know what the time length is on JSA in wexford town???

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Doctorsamuel

Hi there.
    I applied for JBA the 1th of september 2009 and at the end of october Welfare sent me this letter:

Dear Mr,

I refer to you your recent claim for Jobseekers Allowance.

Until to you to your claim has been approved for payment, you will be
    required to sign at this office on a monthly basis.
    Your next signing day will be on thursday 5th of november between
    10.30am - 12.00 pm
    If your claim has been approved for payment before the above signing
    date, you do not need to sign on the above day. You will receive a
    further letter confirming a different signing date and time.

If you are unable to attend you may either discuss the matter further
    with me or write to explain why you are unable to attend.

Failure to contact this office may result in your claim being
    closed.

Yours sincerely,

Local Officer

I went to sign and the man told me "Thanks, you'll recieve a further letter. Bye"

Anyone knows what will happen now?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

I applied on the 2nd of June, I started working on the 1st of July, I finished working on the 30th of August, I went in to the Social Welfare Office again, and this morning, the 26th of November, my claim was approved.

I have 16 weeks back money to collect, and have been waiting just under 6 months to have my claim from June processed.

But woohoo, I am down to my last €100 and Christmas was not happening! I can pay all my bills now, and give people back any money I may have borrowed. Heading to the post office now as I received two letters that where identical, one telling me my money was in the post office from today, and the other telling me my money will be there from tomorrow.

Just to say that this is all the Newbridge office. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Galway city: 3 weeks and while i was waiting i went to the community welfare office and they paid me untill i was "offically" on the dole. i think every1 is entitled to this so check it out and dont be strapped for cash before x-mass!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭KetchupKid

I received two letters that where identical, one telling me my money was in the post office from today, and the other telling me my money will be there from tomorrow.

Just to say that this is all the Newbridge office. :D

DancingDaisy,

Same thing happened to me and that was from the Galway office. Go to the PO tomorrow and if it's not the right day at least you will know what your day is. You do have 3 days to claim, but in case you need to go somewhere or are unable to go to the PO, at least you'd know your proper day.

Advertisement