Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does your weekly shop cost?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

20 or so ,maybe less . Decided to drink less milk , but I think I will start tracking where the money is going .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

For those trying to reduce shopping costs: Meal Plan.

Very simple, but it works.

Write down your meals required for the week, and then write a shopping list covering everything. Going to the supermarket without a list can be very expensive. Just stick to the list.

I do half my shopping in Lidl and half in Dunnes.

Lidl for:

Bottled Water
    Cleaning Stuff
    Cat Food
    Cheeses
    Fruit (except for bananas - always yuch)
    Pastas
    Veg
    Condiment type bits, like dried herbs/spices, oils, pesto - all grand.

It costs me about 100 a week for myself and my daughter (including toiletries and cleaning products). So probably about 70 on food. I always have a fully stocked freezer, and cupboards bursting. A few extra for dinner can always covered.

Top Tips:

Slow Cooker - Very handy. Cheaper to run than the oven. Lovely dinner smell when you get home in the evening. Bung everything into it the night before, leave in fridge till the morning, then put it on before you leave. You can get a slow cooker for about e20, but it pays for itself in no time.

Bake bread - It costs pennies to make a few loaves and freeze them.

Bulk buy bargains - I currently have 4 pork fillets in the freezer, they cost a tenner, usually cost about a tenner for one. They are potentially 4 Sunday dinners for 4 - stuff them and wrap with bacon, and they are gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

cHaTbOx wrote: »
    20 or so ,maybe less . Decided to drink less milk , but I think I will start tracking where the money is going .

€20? What do you eat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

45 / 60 euros a week i refuse to eat badly and most of my shoping is done in lidil except meet and fish where i buy it from places i no where its come from !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Private Dancer

I'd say bout 100-150 a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

I have NEVER spent less than 100 quid......I wouldnt mind but the kitchen presses still never look full:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭yay_for_summer

€30ish.
    Used to buy meat from the supermarket but meat from the butcher's is cheaper and tastier. Chicken fillets in tesco are double the price and smaller in size than the ones I get in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

€120 - €150 for two of us per week shopping in Super Valu.

We've only just moved into our new house so still coming to terms with stuff - how much we use of this or that and stocking up on things that wouldnt be bought every week - herbs, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Spent €42 today and REALLY planned. I wanted to see how cheaply I could do it. That said, no cleaning products. They are SO expensive. I only buy loo paper & washing powder when on offer though and buy all the rest in Aldi. Did ok today I think and bought loads of genuine offers. I make my own bread and all my own sauces.

Bought (for one for one week, will have the better half over for din once and a friend once too. Plus I bring my own lunch every day bar once.)

Bag of quinoa, 2 2lt milk, 2 big pots yog, frozen fruit, 6 bananas, 6 juicing oranges, 2 lt oj, 6 pears, 6 apples, carrots, small bag of spuds, peppers, auburgines, 6 chicken fillets, 3 tins of tuna, 2 salmon darnes, bag of brown pasta, bag of brown rice, small pot/tub of cream, 2 packs of biscuits, jar of coffee, 6 museli bars, 6 bagels, brown flour, 6 eggs, coleslaw, scallions, bag of mixed beans, tub of ice-cream and jar of honey...

Fingers crossed it does me. I'm going to really try to both eat well and spend little on food from now on, would love to knock a chunk off my mortgage and have to think wisely on how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Spent €42 today

Bag of quinoa, 2 2lt milk, 2 big pots yog, frozen fruit, 6 bananas, 6 juicing oranges, 2 lt oj, 6 pears, 6 apples, carrots, small bag of spuds, peppers, auburgines, 6 chicken fillets, 3 tins of tuna, 2 salmon darnes, bag of brown pasta, bag of brown rice, small pot/tub of cream, 2 packs of biscuits, jar of coffee, 6 museli bars, 6 bagels, brown flour, 6 eggs, coleslaw, scallions, bag of mixed beans, tub of ice-cream and jar of honey...

Jesus, all that for €42? Aldi yeah?

I'm so sick of how over priced Dunnes is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Nope, Dunnes, buy a lot of the cheaper brands and always buy genuine offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Actually, today's shop only cost €87 & there was a fair bit of stuff in there inc a bottle of wine. Some weeks are better than others...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

€60 per week including butcher shop down town, 2 adults one 4 month old. switched to Lidl last summer, so since then been saving on average €200 per month, also switched nappies to Lidl so a big pack costs €8 and find them better too. so the savings will be paying for hols this year! One of the best moves i've made over the years. Also Lidl fruit & veg is the best around!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 catussa

I am buying most of the food in Lidl - in my opinion the cheapest supermarket.
    After that we buy Juice and Fruits in Aldi (they have fruit offers for 69 cent piece - changes each month, this month they had for example pineapple for 69 cent each!!!).
    We buy water in Supervalue - 39 cents for the big bottle is just great - cheaper than lidl or aldi, meat in the local butcher - same price as in the supermarket, but fresher and better quality and TRACKABLE.
    Fruits can also be bough cheap at the market stands in front of lidl - I know it seems kind of creepy to go shopping there, but the prices are great and if you look at the fruit/veg before you buy, you can get good quality!

My boyfriend and I spend 50 EUR per week on shopping. I budget now as wel since I have been ending up without any money in the week before pay date - it is crazy to see that you actually end up with a budget of 50 EUR a week after covering all bills but still ahving to buy food...but you better now how much you can realistically spend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

About €35 and thats for myself only. I do have some baking ingredients included with my weekly shop, as I tend to spend my Sundays baking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Always over €100 - would love to find the time to go to a few different places for bargains etc but just dont have the friggin time..
    Go to Tescos and that it.

Advertisement