Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does your weekly shop cost?

Options
  • 23-04-2009 6:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭

With the way the economy is at the moment, I haven't been spending too much money doing the weekly shop; maybe €50 or so.

But lately, for some reason or another, money has been getting extra tight for me. I added up how much I have to live for the week, after ESB & Eircom bills, I'll have a pretty heafty sum of €17 to my name for the aul' shopping.

Question is, how much money do ye find yourselves spending on the weekly essentials?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

About $110 (about €60) a week between two of us. Cost of living is a lot cheaper over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

€100 - €130 for two adults & one three year old. hard to get it lower (was €150 - €170)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭jaffa20

50euro / week on 2 adults. It's easily done. LIDL ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

jaffa20 wrote: »
    50euro / week on 2 adults. It's easily done. LIDL ftw!

Really? Lidl isn't that cheap. I perfer to take advantage of the half price branded products in Super Valu and Spar.

For me it's €60 for household bills a week and food around €50, just for one person. I've seen people posting here about a €20 food shop. I wish I could reduce my food costs too but I like nice food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

sunnyside wrote: »
    I've seen people posting here about a €20 food shop. I wish I could reduce my food costs too but I like nice food.

I know how you feel. I do enjoy brand name food.

I hate having to live off of cheap noodles and tinned food. Seems like I'll have to for the foreseeable future though.

• Advertisement

Adiboo wrote: »
    But lately, for some reason or another, money has been getting extra tight for me. I added up how much I have to live for the week, after ESB & Eircom bills, I'll have a pretty heafty sum of €17 to my name for the aul' shopping.

Is this €17 before or after food shopping?
    I know how you feel. I do enjoy brand name food.

I hate having to live off of cheap noodles and tinned food. Seems like I'll have to for the foreseeable future though.

The "no money to buy food" diet is one of the most effective ever:)

I have had to cut back on coffee shops and lunches out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

About €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

About €120 - €160. 2 Adults and a five year old child. Bought in SuperQuinn for the most part with Fruit and Veg bought in a proper fruit and veg shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I wish I could reduce my food costs too but I like nice food.

Can you give examples?

It is recommended that you buy from the out line of the shop to eat healthily. The basics of this being veg, fruit, dairy, meats, grains. And these arent hugely expensive.

I spend aprox €80 on a weekly shop this way, but there would be the likes of washing powder, shampoo, tooth paste etc. included in there too.

Is this €17 before or after food shopping?

Before the shopping unfortunately :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I spend roughly 60 euro p/w on shopping

That's just for 1 person

Gonna have to cut back a bit too now with less work on

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭bicardi19

used to spend about 300 euro a week in supervalue every week. thats for 2 adults and 4 kids. Now spend £150 in enniskillen. Thats including alcohol and all the stuff you need for the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

about 125 a week for two.

tend to hit supervalu a good bit just cos it's local even tho we know it's a bit of a rip.

going to have to wisen up a bit and just get a bi-weekly shop or something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

there's two of us, it costs about €130 for 2-3 weeks. a big freezer helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I have had to cut back on coffee shops

This statement put shivers up my spine :( I really hope I never have to do this...

*invites sunnyside out for a day of coffee shop enjoyment - all at my expense maybe*

Abigayle wrote: »
    Can you give examples?

I don't understand:confused:Examples of what. I buy the Spar eurosaver offers and a lot of the weekly half price offers from SuperValu.
    Before the shopping unfortunately :(

Oh dear, pasta, pasta sauce, tins of beans, loaf of bread, milk, cereal, Tesco own brand biscuits or chocolate. Can you cut back on anything else? Do you drink/smoke? That is very little to be living on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

It costs me around 50 euros just for myself.

But I bring in my own lunches and coffee so that money covers all food for the week.

I might eat out once or twice during the week too.. But nowhere expensive.

kingtut wrote: »
    This statement put shivers up my spine :( I really hope I never have to do this...

*invites sunnyside out for a day of coffee shop enjoyment - all at my expense maybe*

Don't worry, I still have my coffee, just not every day:)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

200 to 250 euro for 2 adults and 4 kids under 7 . LIDL and ASDA ftw

Eat out most Sunday's which costs anything from 50 to 150
    euro depending on how extravagant I feel.!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Last Angry Man

Since I got into cooking a bit and have started making (almost) every meal from scratch our weekly shopping bill is probably around €120 on average for 2 adults and a 1 year old. I am a bit of a Nazi when it comes to not using sauces from jars or eating anything pre-packaged (with the exception of oven chips - can't be dealing with a fryer) and as a result we have practically no waste and we are eating better than ever. We shop in both Lidl and Tesco for the day to day stuff and most meat comes from the butcher. I'd say it's harder to do this if you are single though. Easer to put the effort in when you are cooking for a few people but I'm starting to make batches of stuff to freeze and re-heat to take away the danger of take-away ordering due to lazyness. Going to get the garden sorted out soon and start growing some veg too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

I take €200 out for the housekeeping each week, Some weeks I'm left with €50 or so, others less. 3 adults.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

For myself the GF and her sister and the odd day her boyfriend comes over, Not sure about per week as we usually do a pretty big shop once a month in dunnes/tesco which can be expensive say 150 but then we would do say2/3 weekly shops on lidl/aldi altogether say 300 per month for 3 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I don't understand:confused:Examples of what. I buy the Spar eurosaver offers and a lot of the weekly half price offers from SuperValu.

You said you enjoy 'nice food'. I was enquiring as to what that actually included.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

About €60ish. I dont eat alot of meat and as a chef know how to make food last and how to use up leftovers. No drinking and dont smoke. Eat out about once a week with work - usually Thrsday night. Tidy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

€30 - €40

Oh dear, pasta, pasta sauce, tins of beans, loaf of bread, milk, cereal, Tesco own brand biscuits or chocolate. Can you cut back on anything else? Do you drink/smoke? That is very little to be living on.

Just got in from Dunnes. 2 loafs of bread, pasta + sauces, chicken fillets, sausages, 29c lemonade and a pack of Dunnes 99c ice lollies for a treat. All for a grand total of €16.46.

Think I did well enough :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I'm ridiculous. I kind of wing it one day to the next.

Have to start doing a weekly shop.

Insurgent wrote: »
    I'm ridiculous. I kind of wing it one day to the next.

Have to start doing a weekly shop.

I was doing that up until recently myself. I've gotta try to keep to a shopping routine from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I was doing that up until recently myself. I've gotta try to keep to a shopping routine from now on.

I'm going to start this weekend. Head in on Saturday and do a weekly shop.

I'd say €40 to €50 will be sufficient.

• Advertisement

Insurgent wrote: »
    I'm going to start this weekend. Head in on Saturday and do a weekly shop.

I'd say €40 to €50 will be sufficient.

Back when I wasn't budgeting like now, picking up whatever looked nice. I'd say I averaged around €55-60.

Advertisement