Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does your weekly shop cost?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

In our house we've a bad habit of doing a daily shop which costs more in the end, usually about €40 a pop but that includes three packs of fags a day so the food comes to about €17 a day. So €280 a week in total or €119 on actual shopping each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Adiboo wrote: »
    Back when I wasn't budgeting like now, picking up whatever looked nice. I'd say I averaged around €55-60.

Balls, that's the way I shop!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Just realised I forgot the shagging dog food! I'll have to scrape some pennies together and head to the Tesco self service machine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

iMax wrote: »
    €100 - €130 for two adults & one three year old. hard to get it lower (was €150 - €170)

What the hell do you buy? There is no way you need to spend that much.

Clothes are not food btw ;)

about 60 quid a week tops for two adults. That's when we splash out. We even get some luxury foods too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

About $40.
    Eat out most days.

My fridge is pretty much empty.

• Advertisement

I can get away with around 25 to 30euro(maybe less an odd time) on average per week but I'm home at weekends so I really only need food for dinner and lunches from monday to thursday. I spend about 50 to 60euro a week on petrol though and more than half of that is for traveling to/from home at weekends so that easily makes up for what I save by eating food at home during the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Darkbloom

Usually about £30 a week - and a lot of that's not even food. (That's for two of us).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Im fairly bad myself, kinda winging it from day to day, either grabbing something in the local shop which isnt cheap or eating out with friends or making something out of whats in the cupboard.
    Got loads in Lidl there during the week, brown bread,milk,ham,a plant!smoked salmon,pesto,toilet roll,vegetables,pizza etc and came in around 20 euro! Il def be going back there again! You would never get all that in dunnes for that price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭magconn

Family of 5, that is 2 adults, 3 kids (all out of nappies), 150 euro does veg meat etc, the lot. Tried Lidl & aldi but found i was picking up crap i didnt need. So i use tesco online home delivery for everything except meat and veg (supervalu have greatdeals on chicken etc and local veg man for well. veg . From tesco i get exactly what i want, delivered and most weeks i have free delivery, so no un-necessary crap in trolley and no kids throwing in sweets and junk either.
    Hubby extremely happy! used to be round 250 mark

Recently got our own hens for eggs and some broilers chickens that will be our raw chicken very soon, so that will eliminate the super valu stop (apart from any vino trips that is)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Freezers are a god send. Buy in bulk if you can. We do a monthly shop and spend about €100 for 2 people. I don't make huge dinners though in fairness, just light meals. Bread & milk and perishables aren't included.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

Insurgent wrote: »
    I'm ridiculous. I kind of wing it one day to the next.

Have to start doing a weekly shop.

I used to do a big weekly shop, but what with fussy eater old parents, and my bad back affecting whether I'm able to cook or not, I had to start ad libbing and buying day to day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

About 75 euro a week. Two kids two adults. Get everything in lisburn once a month and have a big huge feck off freezer. That includes vegetables in the local grocer once a week. Refuse to shop down here again until the supermarkets stop ripping us off. (That includes Aldi and Lidl) You want to see how much cheaper aldi is in the UK than here.:mad:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Household stuff, toiletries, washing power, shower gel, Pasta, noodles, sauces and alcohol are bought up north every 2 months at about £100 -£140.
    Meat is bought monthly from butchers (meat for dinners and for lunches) about €50 a month.
    Veg, fruit and bread bought in local supermarket at about €30 a week.
    So all in all under €80 a week for 2 adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

About 80 a week for myself and the bird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭dontcallmecrazy

im so glad to see this thread, this is something i have been thinking about alot over the last few weeks, i just cant seem to get my food bill down but at the same time i never seem to have anything to eat in the house..

could somebody please post a quick example of what their 'cheapened' weekly shopping list would consist of because i seem to always be picking up the wrong stuff or something and never make it out of the shop with anything but enough for maybe one or two dinners but still manage to spend a small fortune, im so broke at the minute and this is really stressing me out!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Ok!,hang on while I work this out.Shopping essentials.....eh?.
    Beer.....€30.00
    Curries assorted(shop brand) frozen x 7.......€17.50
    Toilet roll pack of 6...€3.00(like the soft ones for mopping up the curry)
    More beer....€30.00
    Cereals(shop brand).....€2.00
    Milk.............€2.00
    Condoms(pack of 3).....€5.00(Always buy good ones,so you can washout and reuse)
    Beer......€30.00

Jayus!!.... I just added this up Its €119.50 per week.How do families manage on €130.00 per week?.I feel really guilty,I think I will have to cut back.Maybe I could manage on 5 curries per week?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

We normally do a monthly shop, have it down to a fine art at this stage. We're both paid monthly so the monthly shop is now viewed as another bill that has to be paid...

We spend between €200 & €300 on the monthly shop which will include the basics...

Pasta
    Rice
    Potatoes
    Meat (chicken breasts / mince / steak / chicken kievs) etc. *
    Tea
    Coffee
    Biscuits
    Toiletries
    Cleaning Stuff

Other things like fruit & veg and bread are bought more often throughout the month.

* We'd buy enough meat for meals for the month and then freeze most of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Abigayle wrote: »
    You said you enjoy 'nice food'. I was enquiring as to what that actually included.

:)Things like olives, sun dried tomatoes, fresh pesto, smoked salmon, ben+jerrys or hagen daz ice cream, Barry's teabags, nespresso capsules for my coffee machine. Not very healthy I know but I do also buy the usual meat, vegetables. I prefer not to get the shops own brand for most things. That sounds expensive but something on that list always seems to be half price somewhere.
    Adiboo wrote: »
    Just got in from Dunnes. 2 loafs of bread, pasta + sauces, chicken fillets, sausages, 29c lemonade and a pack of Dunnes 99c ice lollies for a treat. All for a grand total of €16.46.

Think I did well enough :p

Impressive. Can you cut back on anything else to allow yourself a bit more money for food?
    Insurgent wrote: »
    I'm ridiculous. I kind of wing it one day to the next.

Have to start doing a weekly shop.

I used to do that but I got so tired of the daily trips to the supermarket. It's so inefficient.
    could somebody please post a quick example of what their 'cheapened' weekly shopping list would consist of because i seem to always be picking up the wrong stuff or something and never make it out of the shop with anything but enough for maybe one or two dinners but still manage to spend a small fortune, im so broke at the minute and this is really stressing me out!!!!

I don't have a specific list for you but I would suggest you get the weekly special offers leaflets from all the supermarkets especially SuperValu and buy whatever you can use from the half price/Buy one get one free offers. The Spar eurosavers are also excellent.
    . We're both paid monthly so the monthly shop is now viewed as another bill that has to be paid...

It's really strange but before this recession when people did out a budget they never seemed to include food. It was always just Esb, gas, phone, etc but you are so right, food is a bill. I think we need somebody to start a cheap meals thread as a continuation of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭JuJuBean

im so glad to see this thread, this is something i have been thinking about alot over the last few weeks, i just cant seem to get my food bill down but at the same time i never seem to have anything to eat in the house..

I'm just back from Tesco, where I spent €127 and hopefully that will last the two of us for 1.5 to 2 weeks. I bought:
    Meat and fish
    1/2 price bag of frozen Aya fantail prawns (could use for stir fry or curry)
    Round steak minced (shepherds pie or home made burgers)
    2 chicken quarters (roast them on a bed of veg)
    2 chicken breasts (serve in pitta bread with salad/ stir fry/ in a bap)
    1 fillet steak
    I pack sausages
    1/2 price 4 salmon fillets
    2 fresh cod fillets breaded
    2 fresh haddock fillets breaded
    Rashers (tesco finest)
    2 x mussels in white wine sauce (going to have mussels and oven chips tonight :) )
    Sliced turkey (for sandwiches)

Vegetables
    Special offer on a pack with carrot/ parsnip/ turnip/ onion - 2 for two euros
    2 kg new potatoes
    2.5 kg kerr pink potatoes
    fresh herbs (coriander and mint)
    2 limes
    2 lemons
    Cabbage
    Brocolli
    Sugar snap peas
    Red onion
    Avocado
    Cherry tomatoe/ lettuce/ half cucumber special offer
    Plums
    Scallions
    Bananas
    Strawberrys
    Pak Choi
    Turnip
    3 x tomatoes
    Oven chips

and I got a few other things like tin of beans, crisps, soy sauce, hoummous, yoghurt, honey etc.
    Also bought dove shampoo and conditioner, Cif, cotton wool, toothpaste and toothbrush, comfort fabric conditioner, toilet roll.

There are plenty of ingredients above to make lots of different combinations of dinners. What's key for me is always having a supply of those pesky ingredients you always see in cookbooks and magazines so you can use what you have to whip up something impressive. I keep a good stock of dried herbs and spices, tomatoe puree, soy sauce, fish sauce, worscestershire sauce, garlic etc, and buy lemons, limes, avocados etc with every shop. I hate looking through a cook book and not being able to make anything because I don't have the basics.

By the way I have a 50/ 50 refrigerator/ freezer and I tend to freeze most of that meat/ fish and take it out the night before. Its also a great idea to buy a few bags of frozen veg so you are never stuck.

Hope this helps. I did actually get a lot of good healthy stuff for €127! I always count whether I have enough by going on how many meat/ fish I am getting by number of days I want it to cover, and then just tons of veg to accompany it. Simple!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I'm sick of shopping AND cooking for 2 adults and 4 kids. Actually kids are nearly as big as adults. I spend 200 plus a week on food/toiletries. Aldi is great and I keep an eye out for the specials in the local Superquinn and SuperValu. Fed up of Tesco.

I'm another one who'd like to see a few tips on making nutritious meals for the family.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭JuJuBean

Lizzykins have you ever bought that Essentials magazine? Loads of really handy recipes every month that are simple to cook, reasonably priced and nutritious. Its very much aimed at busy Mums.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

€200 - €270, depends what we are short of, 2 adults, 2 kids. Depends on what Wines we buy.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

about twenty five a week for two of us maybe less

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

about twenty five a week for two of us maybe less

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=610

try this forum for receipes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Careful pink fluffy bunny, the'll double your Tax for double posting.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Lilyblue

Used to cost 220e per week for 2 adults and 1 child. Now we spend 100e max for 2 adults and 2 children.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Lizzykins wrote: »
    I'm another one who'd like to see a few tips on making nutritious meals for the family.

There was this woman who fed hersalf and her hubbie for €50 a week http://www.lidltreats.com/tag/e50-challenge/ She specifies where she shopped, the recipes she used and how they all felt about it. They seemed to eat pretty well but it was time consuming preparing dinners, planning ahead etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I buy salads(2.79 per pack) and i get 5 a wk for work, youghurts etc. I probably spend 50 a week on food. Starting from Sun i will keep a record, good calling OP-thread has made me re think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

sunnyside wrote: »
    Impressive. Can you cut back on anything else to allow yourself a bit more money for food?

Unfortunately not. I have some bills that need paying, and some drunken shíte kicked in my front door window and upstairs landing window last week. So have to get those fixed.

Looks like I'llbe shopping with very little money for the time being!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

An arm and a leg (fortunately someone else). Sharpens blade.

Advertisement