Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the Luas Red Line be closed?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 3House

How do you confuse a Daily Mail reader?

Tell them scumbags eat paedophiles.

Ill get my coat

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I don't get the Red Luas as often as I could because of what I've witnessed on it and the fact that late at night, buses are more frequent than it and infinitely safer.

As heavy bus user and that of the Tallaght and Aston Quay routes, no violent incidents on any buses I've been on in the last 10 years, indeed the most dangerous part of getting the 77/51s/78A buses are the waits on the quays/College Green on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Liveline is one of the few serious investigative programmes on RTE

I thought it was a phone show. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 bearded1

dfx- wrote: »
    As heavy bus user and that of the Tallaght and Aston Quay routes, no violent incidents on any buses I've been on in the last 10 years, indeed the most dangerous part of getting the 77/51s/78A buses are the waits on the quays/College Green on the bus.
    Ah but do you go upstairs? On these routes it segregates divides the passengers quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

I was on the red line few months back for the first time, seriously could'nt believe the dirt of the thing compared to the Stephens green line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

withdrawing services in response to criminal behaviour is such a limp wristed admission of gutlessness, .

withdrawing services is what the services are sometimes forced to do due to the level of aggression faced by those services, the community has to be forced to accept responsibility for the behavior tolerated in their community/area, withdrawing the services is often a last act of desperation after people, fireman, bus drivers have been mindlessly attacked and injured.
    Part of the problem of anti -social behavior is the tolerance of it by so many

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

bearded1 wrote: »
    Ah but do you go upstairs? On these routes it segregates divides the passengers quite well.

I do indeed especially if I want to get away from the mad people downstairs. The main and constant danger I have upstairs is hitting my head off the roof, so if Mr Duffy could have a show about that, it'd be much appreciated. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I thought it was a phone show. :confused:

Yeah Ok - an investigative phone show if you want to be pedantic! :rolleyes:

Slice wrote: »
    Wow, I've never seen so many Irish Daily Mail readers congregate in one place as I have on this thread

Care to expand on this? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Wow, I've never seen so many Irish Daily Mail readers congregate in one place as I have on this thread
    Care to expand on this?

It`s ok,it`s ok Judgement Day......probably just a passing Sociology Graduate theorising aloud :):):)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

I've seen far worse acts of thuggery on the Dart going southside than I have on the Red Line.
    Going southside from the northside...or coming from bogie areas covered by the dart on the southside such as bray and shank.
    i actually think there would be chaos if the red and green luas lines were linked...the armies of Mordor flooding into the Shire - it would be absolute carnage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Yeah Ok - an investigative phone show if you want to be pedantic! :rolleyes:

Hardly being pedantic.

Would you call those crappy phone-in shows to 98FM + 104FM investigative? And not much difference in them and the drivel on Duffy's show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I find people harassing me on public transport to be far more intrusive than elsewhere simply because it is often difficult to easily leave their presence. This doesn't just mean begging but scammers, chuggers, religious pamphlet distributors and the like. Willingly putting yourself in close proximity to others is stressful, I think it's an animal response we still have, and the last thing we need is any further stress on top of that. That's why I think it's important for security to be treated MORE seriously on PubTrans than most other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I have to say, journeys on the green line are a pleasure, reminds one of the Orient Express actually, though the odd time you do get milfs discussing getting their nails done rather loudly, but at least their nice to look at.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Hardly being pedantic.

Would you call those crappy phone-in shows to 98FM + 104FM investigative? And not much difference in them and the drivel on Duffy's show.

Well the 'crappy' Joe Duffy show seems to have drawn enough attention to the Luas Red Line security problems to get something done about it ! Today a Luas spokesman was on the show and announced that a major new security initiative was being undertaken with dedicated security patrolling of Red Line trams from this evening. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 slx

There's an obsession with cash fares in Ireland. I don't understand why we can't simply get on with rolling out a Smart Card system across our major cities, not just Dublin, but also Cork, Limerick, Galway etc.

The Luas ticket machines are like an invitation to be pick pocketed, and they regularly cause people to miss trams. It's incrediably frustrating to be stuck behind someone who doesn't quite know how to use the machine, or who decides to pay in 10 cent coins.

Likewise, busses in all of our cities cause traffic jams as queues of people file past the driver counting change.

Why not simply force the roll out of the smart cards?

Then make the cash fare about €4 single vs about €1 by Smart Card.

It'd solve quite a few problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭walzer

Our politicians have been talking about integrated ticketing (which would reduce cash transactions greatly) for donkeys years now. Other countries have had it for decades, while we talk about it. It's the single issue that has caused me to lose all confidence in Irish politics.

Regarding the OP, suggesting to remove the red line would be like suggesting to close down certain streets just because there's undesirable behaviour there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Ah you're all wimps, I get the 78a ffs.

I've never had any problems on the Red Line, and I'm an 18 year old girl who regularly gets on it alone. Every time I'm on the Green Line though, there's some little brats playing music on their phones. Maybe we should remove their service until they buy earphones? I'm ringing Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭trellheim

please don't open integrated ticketing argument again !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

phasers wrote: »
    Ah you're all wimps, I get the 78a ffs.

Me too, respect :cool:

The red luas line is no comparison to the 78A.
    If it's not the roughest bus route in Dublin I'd like to know what is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

The coming of Christ will sort out the anti social behaviour.

Meanwhile the cops can do nothing, (of course) can't expect them to do anything, and yes lets dig up the piece of the cake that is to the crumb of our public transport system. Why not. sure lets dig up the Dart,cus they have chewing gums under the seats.. yuck...

Just dig up the luas worry about the rest when Jesus calls into the Dublin planning office to sort out our public transport system. Hopefully he will sort the anti social behaviour too

We are very Irish.......... we don't understand bow to come up with a solution!

Go to the pub drink like a fish and pray to jesus that you don't have to face tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Good to see a somewhat belated but still welcome "Oficial" response to the continuing problems on the Luas element of our public transport.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gardai-to-patrol-luas-at-night-1803827.html

So we now have a muted admission of a public order "situation" on both DART/Suburban Rail and Luas .
    In the DART/Rail case credit must go to Irish Rail for recognising the obvious and acting at a far earlier stage to address it with their private security presence.

The Luas situation is very interesting as it is the first time I have seen the Gardai become involved in a General sense on Public Transport policing.
    Heretofore they tended to only take an interest subsequent to a major incident and focus their attention on a very specific Route/Zone.

Veolia/RPA have obviously become worried at just how far and fast their flagship system ahs plummeted in the Public Eye.

Indeed I recently met some visitors heading for a major hotel in Clondalkin who came forewarned and decided to take the Bus instead (!!)
    That type of publicity rapidly becomes the stuff of folk-myth and can,if left unaddressed,reduce any public service to a smoking shell.

We collectively (ie: The Taxpaying Public) have far too much of OUR hard earned income invested in Public Services such as Luas to simply sit idly by and watch as a collection of disturbed and destructive creatures decide to wreak havoc on OUR Public Transport System.

However,as I see Veolia have included the,by now,obligatory community interface with local schools and groups in an attempt to act as surrogate parents to wild children,I remain dubious that they will actually take the staps necessary to rid Luas and it`s customers of the pestilence which afflicts it.

However...today`s news IS a start so here`s to a bit of pro-active Policing on the Luas ...Next Stop the 78A.....hip-hip........ :D:D:D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

sdonn wrote: »
    Areas where public property is vandalised to the point of it being an ordeal to use it should be rewarded with the withdrawal of said services.

So because I live in Rialto and am one of the majority of ethical citizens in the area, and a few scumbags go around kicking things, I should have my transport removed? FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Tattoo Stan

The clue is in the name of the routes

:D

:mad:

Advertisement