Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Fishing on the Dodder

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Whens the AGM for the Dodder anglers.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

When does the Dodder open again?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bonzer79

jack01986 wrote: »
    When does the Dodder open again?

Fishing season for the dodder starts on the 17th March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Theriverdodder

There is a new dedicated site for the River Dodder www.freewebs.com/clonskeaghfishing/

There is a new dedicated site for the River Dodder www.freewebs.com/clonskeaghfishing/

Nice little site you got there. I do most of my fishing in the clonskeagh area might see you around.

• Advertisement

Im sure we willl see each other around Clonskeagh !!!!!Please all Dodder anglers join the site !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Evac105

Can anyone enlighten me as to the date and location for this year's AGM? We usually receive a letter from DAA with the details in January but no sign of it yet this year. If anyone in the know can let me know I'd appreciate it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bonzer79

Evac105 wrote: »
    Can anyone enlighten me as to the date and location for this year's AGM? We usually receive a letter from DAA with the details in January but no sign of it yet this year. If anyone in the know can let me know I'd appreciate it ;)

Letter arrived today meeting is in De La Salle on the 28th Feb @ 19:30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 corkagh park fishery

peter74 wrote: »
    It seems that for some people there is no closed season on Dodder. Today l noticed two irish lads fishing worms in Ballsbridge. Anyone can give me phone number for bailiffs?

01 2787022 or 087 2584174 Inland fisheries Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 corkagh park fishery

Evac105 wrote: »

Monday 29th Feb, 7.30pm @ DeLaSALLE CHURCHTOWN.

• Advertisement

Thanks folks - got my own copies of the letter about two days after posting. Looking forward to getting more involved in helping maintain the Dodder - enjoyed fishing it for about 8 years now, time for some payback ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Monday 29th Feb, 7.30pm @ DeLaSALLE CHURCHTOWN.

Just in case of possible confusion:
    AGM for Dodder Anglers Assoc is tonight Monday 28th time and location as above.

Had a walk along up the Dodder yesterday from the Herberton Park Hotel to near Milltown at which point my phone ran out of juice so I couldn't take any more photos. Which was unfortunate as it was then that I spotted three Irish blokes fishing the river. When I approached them saying that the season didn't begin until the 17th I was told that it was all right, they had their licenses so it was okay they were fishing. After this had been repeated at me a few times like some sort of magic charm (along with "tell that to the other 200 people on the river today") I gave up and left. No power on the phone so no call to the IFI number :(

In any case - for those interested I've loaded the pictures of the river which I captured before the power went onto photobucket:

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb85/Gadai/Dodder%202011/?albumview=slideshow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

Thanks for uploading pics, twas nice to get to see the character of the river, for I'm not familar with the Dodder at all, I must give it a whirl sometime, looks sweet.

I seen them also unfortunately i had no phone. We all need to be vigilant around this time, there is no closed season for poachers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I wasn't able to make the AGM unfortunately, did anything of interest happen?

I'd a few nice hours out on the river yesterday evening. Didn't catch anything and I heard the same from lots of others, I think it was a bit cold still. Apparantly there was 800 fish in the 2-3lb rang put in and it sounds like there wasn't too many caught in the opening day slaughter so hopefully they'll get a chance to naturalise a bit and there'll be some very nice fishing there for the summer.

Was out yesterday myself - was quite disappointed at the river to be honest. There seems not to have been any floods recently (that's my guess) as there's a layer of heavy silt covering everything, saw less then a dozen fish between Templeogue and Miltown when I would have expected based on previous experience to see small fish darting around more or less the length of the river. Hoping that I was just being un-observant but didn't make me very excited regarding the Dodder this year (or at least the lower reaches).

As a suggestion to the club itself can I recommend taking a more active role in the river. At the moment they see to be focused on being stewards rather managing the development of the Dodder as a resource going into the future. I'm not a fisheries manager and I wouldn't claim to be but groups like the Wye Valley associations in the UK have shown that good development of rivers is essential to their long term viability over there as the more effort put in obvious yields greater rewards but also gives the river a higher profile and greater influence/protection/funding for the future. It would be wonderful if we could work together to begin a similar effort for the Dodder which has to potential to be so much more then it is currently in terms of it's fishing but also in terms of tourism, community development and as a public resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

anyone been fising the river over the weekend? Any reports on how its fishing?

Was out today plenty of people fishing but I got nothing was on the fly. Spent about 2 hrs at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

jack01986 wrote: »
    Was out today plenty of people fishing but I got nothing was on the fly. Spent about 2 hrs at it.

Likewise, couple of bites on Saturday but couldn't land any

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Was the Staunton juvenile cup won on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

Was out again yesterday - still nothing, was a lovely day though. It's now my lifes mission to get one of those trout on the fly :)

BTW - thanks for the tips to whoever I was talking to on Sunday (I think it was someone from this board)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭fourmations

hi

i was out too on dodder park area

it was gin clear and very very low
    fish were clearly visible and scattered once you walked towards them
    i had one rise, that was it

im doing a rain dance here, it needs some!

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 32 peter74

Today I had two brownies and I missed few more. One came on dry and second on goldhead. Fished with whole family, so l was focused more on my daughter not falling to river

• Registered Users Posts: 27 love to fly fish

Whats best fly or nymph to use on the dodder now any suggestions. Going to try get out at wkd for spot of fly fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

walked both sides of the Dodder today from irishtown to the dropping well from 4.30 to 7.30 and saw dozens of small fish feeding both sub surface and on the surface.
    met a foreign fly fisherman as he was releasing a 6 incher caught on a dry fly. he wasn't a member of the dodder anglers but after he found out its only a tenner for the year he said he would join.

this is my last month or two in the area so i have to get in there one more time.

i was talking to another angler in ballsbridge when there was a big splash. he said it was a sea trout. i would have thought it was a bit early?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭fourmations

Whats best fly or nymph to use on the dodder now any suggestions. Going to try get out at wkd for spot of fly fishing.

it still quite early and surface activity aint great
    (well its last thursday since i was there)

for wets... try pheasant tail nymph preferably gold head
    and spiders (snipe and purple or partridge and orange)
    and tiny tiny dries (small midges or dusters)

cheers

it still quite early and surface activity aint great
    (well its last thursday since i was there)

for wets... try pheasant tail nymph preferably gold head
    and spiders (snipe and purple or partridge and orange)
    and tiny tiny dries (small midges or dusters)

cheers

Thanks for the info much appreciated. I was out on saturday and caught a small brownie on a small gold head nymph.

Anybody out on the dodder lately any luck. The water is very low.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I was out on Sunday. No luck other than a few bites I missed. I could see plenty in there moving around and some action on the surface so they're definitely there. The water is quite low, but I've seen it far lower and it's fished fine so I wouldn't be too concerned about that, between the water being low and clear and the great sun we're having the fish have excellent visibility, I saw a few come up, look and then shrug at my fly and go back down, so you need to be extra sneaky.

Advertisement