Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Fishing on the Dodder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 peter74

Would a dry adams or grey duster fly work this time of year i have a few of both paterns in small sizes and what size be best for dodder i also have few black midges. Going to get out on the dodder soon but what fly would i be best giving a shot at and would i get away with using the grey duster fly through out the coming months any suggestions please.

Grey duster is my favourite fly in the late evenings on Dodder. There were great hatches of midges on monday and tuesday. plus small hatch of olives. But trouts did not seem to be preoccupied by any of them. Those few rising fish were really small 4-6 inches long, so it was better not to fish for them. Nymphing was more succesfull method.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

New PB again on the Dodder, closer to two pounds this time I think was a very chunky fish. Stockie?
    IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0106.jpg

Sorry for putting it on the stones had no grass to set it down or net with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

Lovely fish.Whereabouts did you get him?

Cheers man, managed to get it around clonskeagh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭katy39

I'm sure I have seen a Mayfly on the Dodder, has any 1 else ?( about 1 1/2 long Yellow body )

Out on the dodder yesterday for a few hours managed a few nice fish on the fly, hooked something fairly sizeable that took off like a train couldn't stop him before getting into the branches in the water and breaking off the line.
    photo-6.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭owelfisherman

jack01986 wrote: »
    New PB again on the Dodder, closer to two pounds this time I think was a very chunky fish. Stockie?
    IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0106.jpg

thats a whopper fish

• Registered Users Posts: 27 love to fly fish

Good going jack,what fly did you us

HI lads,

What flies work on the dodder this time of year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭ba

i've gotten a few rises using a small Adams, not too disimilar from this guy...
    dry-palewaterydun.jpg

Was gonna say a small adams fly, have been getting a lot of rises to small sedge patterns deer hair sedge etc. I managed to get that big trout on a pattern i tied myself was on a size 20 hook white hackle with a thin olive body, kind of a one4all fly.

Hi Jack, what setup do you use like rod, line etc
    Cheers.

Hi Jack, what setup do you use like rod, line etc
    Cheers.

I've a Greys GRXi 7ft6 4 weight, generally use a floating line with a tapered leader about the length of the rod. The leader is usually has a 6x tippet so about three pounds weight. I generally fish a single dry fly and mix it up a bit with regards to the fly itself but it also depends on whats hatching at the time. Have had some success fishing New Zealand style, with a suspended nymph below a dry fly.

The river has been fairly low the past few days but has fished very well. I managed 7 fish in two hours on Saturday and had 4 yesterday.

Got out myself saturday and caught two on a nymph, great fight on a 4wt fly rod. Where have the months gone not long till close of season:mad:

ibZYil.jpg?1

Nice fish Jack, What you catch him on you got a fair few this season.:)

Got him on a small elk hair sedge. Seems to be the fly that worked the best for me this season. Ive got a good few fish out of the river this season was very happy with it.

Must be hard trying to tie a size 20 fly as thats tiny how do you see that on the river i dont tie my own flies as i would not know where to start pity there are no fly tying classes around as i think would get great interest certainly id give it a shot if i knew were to start. Must also must be a great buzz catching a trout on a fly tied by yourself.:)

• Advertisement

Must be hard trying to tie a size 20 fly as thats tiny how do you see that on the river i dont tie my own flies as i would not know where to start pity there are no fly tying classes around as i think would get great interest certainly id give it a shot if i knew were to start. Must also must be a great buzz catching a trout on a fly tied by yourself.:)

They are a bit tricky to tie all right cant get to complicated with them. With regards to fishing them its not that you can see them the whole time but if there is movement in the general area of the fly you should strike. You should give them a go there are starter kits out there and plenty of tuition online. Its all the more satisfying when you do get a fish on one of your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Eriesniper

Where could i buy a permit for fishing in the river dodder? (not from dublin im based in galway) thanks any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

Any of the fishing shops in Dublin.
    Southside angling cork street probably the handiest and the lads are alright for giving info.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭murdog!

Well folks, just reading through this old thread As I plan to fish the dodder for the first time this season. Would love to know how it's been fishing for the last few years?

It been fishing fairly well. I had some great fishing on it the last few seasons. The end of last season was not great for me as they were doing some work up towards Rathfarnham which really coloured the river for the last few weeks.
    Zg0PyoO.jpg?1
    1ePc3ae.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭okedoke

nice trout

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

trout season on the dodder opens on the 17th march for those not sure of dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Did anyone go along to the AGM this year? Or has it happened as of yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭murdog!

Looking forward to opening day! Few questions:

Are waders essential or is there sufficient bank to fish from?

Any decent stretches of the river to start out on? Milltown/dropping well areas are handiest for me but I will travel!

• Advertisement

murdog! wrote: »
    Looking forward to opening day! Few questions:

Are waders essential or is there sufficient bank to fish from?

Any decent stretches of the river to start out on? Milltown/dropping well areas are handiest for me but I will travel!

Waders are not essential there is plenty of space to fish without them. Milltown area is a good place to start.

Advertisement