Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Fishing on the Dodder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 b.w.ollie

katy39 wrote: »
    Hello all , I was with my boyfriend while he was fishing the Dodder along the Dodder road section, when a woman threw her dog in where he was fishing , he protested at this but she dismissed his protest because she said she was a resident and perfectly entitled to let her dog swim in the river ,does anyone know what is the Law, rules , etiquette is in this regard ?
    Thanks.
    the dog is in a public place and therefore should be kept on a lead, being a resident gives her no special rights to the river.when it has happened to me I usually point out that I pay to fish the river and when they pay to swim their fido then I'll give way. Also you could helpfully point out that there are a lot of rats on the river and you hope their dog has had its annual shot for leptospiral jaundice (a horrible disease for a dog to die from) got from rat's urine in the water. (there is a very, very slight chance of this but hopefully she wont know this and most dog owners have heard of it).. still as an old guy I used knew used to say ''there's not much use in being ignorant unless you can show it''

• Registered Users Posts: 27 love to fly fish

jack01986 wrote: »
    Another little brownie from the Dodder. Hooked four fish in the same spot only landed this guy. They were all jumping like mad and gave a lively fight.
    Photo0226.jpg
    Nice trout what fly did you hook him on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

not a good idea to put a trout on rocks like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

shblob wrote: »
    not a good idea to put a trout on rocks like that.

Cool I'll remember that for next time (need to get a net). It swam away no problem just held him in the current and he went off like a rocket.

Im not sure of the name of the fly but it was a size 18 deer hair dry fly with an olive green body and silver rib. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

wet grass is fine, but best to release in the water. Also, wet your hand before touching fish. (Unless you intend to keep it then it doesn't matter :P )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

youll get a cheap catch and release net (like a macenroe tennis racket...) on ebay for peanuts....

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

b.w.ollie wrote: »
    the dog is in a public place and therefore should be kept on a lead, being a resident gives her no special rights to the river.when it has happened to me I usually point out that I pay to fish the river and when they pay to swim their fido then I'll give way. Also you could helpfully point out that there are a lot of rats on the river and you hope their dog has had its annual shot for leptospiral jaundice (a horrible disease for a dog to die from) got from rat's urine in the water. (there is a very, very slight chance of this but hopefully she wont know this and most dog owners have heard of it).. still as an old guy I used knew used to say ''there's not much use in being ignorant unless you can show it''

i went through a phase early season of getting into arguments with dog walkers.if its fishing season people should have respect that there is a chance of people fishing the river during this time.and to have a bit of respect.
    you wouldnt go into krufts show waving your fly rod around!!!!
    well thats a bit far fetched ,,,,you get it fetch!!!!! :rolleyes:

anyway as pointed out above,you pay your licence and they are essentially breaking a bye law without a leash.
    ive had to walk away from a pool as every fish in it had been spooked by a tennis ball and a golden labrador.i like dogs as much as the next person,but they aint all that nice swimming across my fishing outing i have waited all week for.

ok rant over cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 32 peter74

Had a nice late evening on Dodder yesterday. Caught 6 brownies and salmon parr after 9.30pm. All on dries.

Thats a nice evenings fishing. Did you see anyone fishing in the competition yesterday? I thought about entering but couldnt get off work.

I think it was competition for juveniles. And l am a bit older.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

peter74 wrote: »
    Had a nice late evening on Dodder yesterday. Caught 6 brownies and salmon parr after 9.30pm. All on dries.
    Nice fishing, great to hear of Salmon parr in the Dodder.

wgsten

http://www.irishflyfisher.ie/

Ah I see Im no juvenile either:). Nice fishing all the same, nice to see the salmon parr showing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Was looking at the fishing permit card and the miami cup and o conner cup were both on wednesday night.

Does anyone know how many fish were caught for the competitions?

Couldnt get down to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

The river is full of salmon parr at lower levels.....I,ve seen spent salmon after spawn floating down to the dart bridge and lingering in the tides for days before an otter gets to it, or the rats....

two competitions are fished the same night the Miami cup is an open fly-only for all. and the O'Conner cup is for fly only for juniors .
    also I hear there is a river 'clean up' on wednesday next meeting at dropping well car park.??

good lot of work done on wednesday.Another clean up being held on monday(weather permitting)5th july,meeting at Orwell bridge.about 7.00pm c'mon lads give something back to the river..also as I said on another thread it is a great opportunity for you new to fly fishing to pick up some hints and advice as after the work is done most hang around for a chat, and there ar guys there who have fished the Dodder for decades and are only too willing to advise you .So come along and pick up some rubbish (from the river)and some tips (from the lads).

Pulled a wheelie bin and its rubbish out of the river in clonskeagh. Someone had set it on fire and threw it into the river. Fish didnt seem to mind. The amount of rises I missed was crazy I think the hooks were too big size 18. Ordered size 20 and 22's to tie up. Gonna need a microscope.

Popped out for an hour this evening had tied up some elk hair sedges and wanted to try them out. The colour matched what was hatching pretty well so was a bit hopeful. Got two little ones just up from the dropping well had a few more throw the hook as well. Size 16 still to big I think.
    IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0076-1.jpg

IMG_0077-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27 love to fly fish

Could anyone tell me what is the best wet fly and nymph to use on the dodder and the size. I was out fly fishing the dodder today in the rain no rising fish but enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bonzer79

Well had my first visit to The Dodder this evening and glad to report that the weather held up and after an hour of blanking and chopping and changing flies I decided on a move to near The Dropping Well and BANG success, bites galore but it being the first time out for 3 years I was out smarted by the cunning trout! Its getting dark and I revert to old faithful olive fly and finally into a Monster! well all 5 inches of angry Dodder trout:D
    Within 10 minutes the second was landed and was just under 9 inches :eek: I'm thinking please keep em coming before I have to hit the road, Well that was the end of my night but I did have a chat with a fellow sadist who had been out earlier and was just walking the dogs(Well trained I might add! The didnt enter the water)
    So I guess if the weather hold I might bump into a few of you fellow Dodder anglers soon and hopefully the odd trout too!!

• Advertisement

Got two nice trout in Clonskeagh area. First time I was able to get some trout out of the river in bright sunny conditions. Took size 24 elk hair sedge with an 8x tippet. Was difficult to tie flies ive gotta tell ya. I think the fish in the first pic is a stockie cus its more golden in colour compared to the usual silvery colour of the dodder trout. Tried up at the dropping well for a bit there was a few other peolpe fishing missed a few rises and had my tippet snapped by a fish. Wasnt exactly a giant as the leader is only 1.8lbs.

CIMG0083-1.jpg
    CIMG0080-1.jpg

just thought i'd let all you Dodder lads know there is another clean up planned for next wednesday (14th july) meeting at rathfarnham bridge @7.00. weather permitting . you can check if its on by ringing the hon sec (number on back of permit).

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

b.w.ollie wrote: »
    just thought i'd let all you Dodder lads know there is another clean up planned for next wednesday (14th july) meeting at rathfarnham bridge @7.00. weather permitting . you can check if its on by ringing the hon sec (number on back of permit).

Clean up cancelled due to weather. New date will be posted later.
    wgsten
    http://www.irishflyfisher.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

thinkin of headin up today, what are the chances of getting anything on a size 12/14 fly? Lookin here people seem to be saying size 18 is too big!

Should be ok with the size 14 try fish it in the faster water. Ive got fish there on size 12's. Good luck.

Had a couple of nice evenings on Dodder recently. Usually l start with black midge. Later in the evening l switch to grey duster to see the fly in the dark. That combination is pretty succesful. But is there anything else working for you in the dark?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Evac105

Between Templeogue and Rathfarnham Bridge last night - lots of nice water but need to be wading to access a lot of it.

d36f4740.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bonzer79

Thinking of heading out for an hour this evening seeing as the season ends tomorrow anyone else going today or tomorrow?

bonzer79 wrote: »
    Thinking of heading out for an hour this evening seeing as the season ends tomorrow anyone else going today or tomorrow?

Gonna head out for an hour or two tomorrow see if i can get anything before march!:mad:

• Advertisement

It seems that for some people there is no closed season on Dodder. Today l noticed two irish lads fishing worms in Ballsbridge. Anyone can give me phone number for bailiffs?

Advertisement