Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Fishing on the Dodder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

I like the area up in Tallaght, upstream from the 'new' Red Iron Bridge. Relatively unfished, though it's also un-stocked, meaning the majority of the fish are small. Doesn't really bother me as I'm 100% catch and release on the Dodder at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭murdog!

I was also wondering how I can tell the difference between a stocked fish and a wild fish?

Has anyone been up to bohernabreena yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭MWforumfisher

Anyone caught any nice fish this season? I'm getting my first fly rod soon and I'm looking for a good spot that I can Learn to fly fish

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

I've had some wild fish up to a pound this season.

jack01986 wrote: »

Sounds lovely. Can't wait to get out and hopefully catch my dinner. Leave all the smallies back of course

• Advertisement

DO you mind me asking where?

DO you mind me asking where?
    I'd rather not share the locations.

Sorry that seemed a bit rude. There are plenty of places along the river that hold decent sized fish. Trying to catch them is the difficult part.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Sounds lovely. Can't wait to get out and hopefully catch my dinner. Leave all the smallies back of course

Please don't be keeping the wild trout no matter what size. They're the breeding source of the river. Keep the stockies. Rivers in a bad enough state without the wildies it'll be notching.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

personally i don't mind taking a fish the very odd time where there's a good stock of fish, But the dodder needs all the help it can, Especially if the ifi close the fish farms..

• Advertisement

Please don't be keeping the wild trout no matter what size. They're the breeding source of the river. Keep the stockies. Rivers in a bad enough state without the wildies it'll be notching.

Didn't realise that. Where can I catch some stockies? Are they all over the river? Thanks for telling me that I don't want to be taking the sport away for others

Sorry that seemed a bit rude. There are plenty of places along the river that hold decent sized fish. Trying to catch them is the difficult part.

NO bother. If I found a good spot I wouldn't give it away to easily too. Thanks for the help anyway!

Caught this fish on the Dodder yesterday. At first I thought it was a salmon smolt but it could also easily be a sea trout. Does anyone know what this little fella is?

http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/marcchinos/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160819_173803_zpsgfmah7by.jpg.html

Looks like a sea trout to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I'd say seatrout too.

SeaFields wrote: »
    I'd say seatrout too.

Thanks Jack and SeaFields. My first sea-trout and I didn't even know it!

Most defiantly looks like a sea trout alright, congrats there hard to come by especially in day time!

Most defiantly looks like a sea trout alright, congrats there hard to come by especially in day time!

Hooked into another fish in the same pool, and it felt a fair bit bigger. All of a sudden it started jumping out of the water, a silvery fella of about 2-3lb which I presume was a seatrout. On the second jump the fly came out and away he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Hooked into another fish in the same pool, and it felt a fair bit bigger. All of a sudden it started jumping out of the water, a silvery fella of about 2-3lb which I presume was a seatrout. On the second jump the fly came out and away he was.

Keep that pool to yourself ;)

Very good! I have had some brown trout jumping out of the air, probably a sea trout and nice one at that too!

Tight lines.

• Advertisement

Very good! I have had some brown trout jumping out of the air, probably a sea trout and nice one at that too!

Tight lines.

Have you had much success with brownies this season? Thinking of heading up to Milltown tommorow or the next day to wet a fly after the Muddy floodwater clears ;)

Have you had much success with brownies this season? Thinking of heading up to Milltown tommorow or the next day to wet a fly after the Muddy floodwater clears ;)

Yes and no,

I've been focusing on salmon fishing this year but with little floods in the west. I've been fishing for trout I got a 5lb (which was a great fight and jumped twice out of the air ! ) fish this year on a size 16 klinkhammer returned because it's a spawning trout from the corrib ( Big trout from the corrib come to the tributary's like the cong etc, Most caught are killed :( ! ) It's probably a bit to colored but Wednesday just mebey! Tell me how you get on through a Pm.

I've a fair idea where you hooked that fish well done.

I've been out the last few days with some good success on the dry flies. Some tiny midge patterns doing the damage size 22. The river should be in perfect condition tomorrow.
    7YIb8S6.jpg

Haha keep the area hush hush then ;) .
    Got a little catch and release net there on Saturday, I've been itching to try it out on a couple brownies. I checked out your Facebook page there Jack, love those pictures of the dodder trout. Do you mind me asking what hooks you use to tie up your flies? Love the look of them, and I'm sure the trout do to. I've only tied on barbed hooks up until now, but I feel I need to tie a couple barbless flies for the dodder trout, I deep hooked a poor little fella one day, his mouth was full of blood and he sank to the bottom when I tried to get him swimming. Don't want that happening ever again. Here's a pic of a fat little fish I picked up on a size 14 wet fly during the flood, him and a couple other fish were lying quite deep and happily took any smallish fly they saw. Tight lines.

20160818_191518_zps6epgbzjx.jpg

Haha keep the area hush hush then ;) .
    Got a little catch and release net there on Saturday, I've been itching to try it out on a couple brownies. I checked out your Facebook page there Jack, love those pictures of the dodder trout. Do you mind me asking what hooks you use to tie up your flies? Love the look of them, and I'm sure the trout do to. I've only tied on barbed hooks up until now, but I feel I need to tie a couple barbless flies for the dodder trout, I deep hooked a poor little fella one day, his mouth was full of blood and he sank to the bottom when I tried to get him swimming. Don't want that happening ever again. Here's a pic of a fat little fish I picked up on a size 14 wet fly during the flood, him and a couple other fish were lying quite deep and happily took any smallish fly they saw. Tight lines.

Thanks man! I use a couple of different hooks for the dry flies but most of them are tied on Partridge Patriot Barbless Hooks (http://www.partridge-of-redditch.co.uk/products/barbless-0) I also like Dohiku hooks for dry flies and wet flies as well. They can be tricky to get hold of but are a really strong and sharp hook. (http://dohiku.eu/)

Thanks man! I use a couple of different hooks for the dry flies but most of them are tied on Partridge Patriot Barbless Hooks (http://www.partridge-of-redditch.co.uk/products/barbless-0) I also like Dohiku hooks for dry flies and wet flies as well. They can be tricky to get hold of but are a really strong and sharp hook. (http://dohiku.eu/)

Thanks a million for the links. I'm sure a lot of people(including myself) would love if you did a couple fly tying videos, those elk hair sedges and klinkhammers look better than most you buy in the shops. You could probably get them shown on the dodder anglers Facebook page as well. Anyway, it's just an idea. Tight lines and goodnight :)

Thanks a million for the links. I'm sure a lot of people(including myself) would love if you did a couple fly tying videos, those elk hair sedges and klinkhammers look better than most you buy in the shops. You could probably get them shown on the dodder anglers Facebook page as well. Anyway, it's just an idea. Tight lines and goodnight :)

Thanks for that something to look into for sure.

Well, I'm just back from Milltown. The river was quite high but there were tons of feeding fish. After trying out a few wets and nymphs with no luck I switched to a grey duster dry, which looked a lot like what they were feeding on. There was also a couple of small white caenis about. Hooked into the lad below in a fast moving pool in between some shallow ripples and a fallen tree. Small but gave a great fight.

20160823_191157_zps6cgiupjo.jpg

Here is a small one from the Dodder.
    E5gZ1Pt.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

I love the colours, Jack!

Advertisement