Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards AC Bi-weekly speed sessions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

robinph wrote: »
    Just off to do that myself, but for some reason I was thinking it was 2.5k so was just going to do it and the "LeCheille" Cooper test as one in the same. I knew I shouldn't have been reading here first before going out. Guess I'll have to do an extra couple of laps then to get the miles in as well now. :(

Still do them in the same run just set up a session to lap at 12 mins and 2.5 miles, thats what I'll be doing tomorrow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Hmm, not figured out how to do that on the 405 yet. I've found where I can set it to either distance or time limit though and have set that to be 2.5 miles now in the "simple" workout.

You do it in training centre,so open that first and then click on workouts and then click on running, double click any of those sessions to open it up then delete whatever steps are already made, then make your own and upload it from TC to your watch, shouldn't take long

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Ahh, so Training Center is useful for something then.

Do the two steps combine, so if I'm saying go for 12 minutes followed by go for 4km (mines stuck in metric at the moment for some reason) is that 12 mins and then a completely seperate 4km or does it measure the total from the start?

robinph wrote: »
    Ahh, so Training Center is useful for something then.

Do the two steps combine, so if I'm saying go for 12 minutes followed by go for 4km (mines stuck in metric at the moment for some reason) is that 12 mins and then a completely seperate 4km or does it measure the total from the start?

I'm just realising that point also :confused: I think I'll program it for a warm up until I press the lap button, then step 2 I'll do by time for 12 mins and then step 3 again until I press the lap button. The key here I think is to note how far you've ran after the warm up and add the 2.5 miles in the head.

So what should happen is
    step1 - warm up- go until I press the lap button (just before you press lap button check how far you've ran and add 2.5 miles), lets say warm up is 1 mile
    Step 2 - go by time - 12 mins
    Step 3 - go until I press lap button - which should be after 3.5 miles, warm up + tt

So when you get home you'll have your distance for your 12 mins and your 2.5 mile tt will be lap 2+ lap 3.
    I hope that makes sense

Also I think sportstrack allow you to create laps also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

belcarra wrote: »
    Should recovery time allowed between reps have been less??
    According to http://www.runningforfitness.org rec time should be limited to equivalent of 400m time or half the rep,
    eg 3min per 800km, therefore 1:30min rec?

This would have made the session even much tougher no doubt!
    Sounds reasonable, but coach Woddle said do 600m recovery so I did 600. I figured it was OK for 600m slow to take longer than 800m fast. After a couple of the reps my recovery consisted of 30 seconds of staggering and the balance jogging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Well I'm back from my time trial. I didn't manage to do the Cooper test though as i was past 14min when I thought of it, d'Oh!

Anyways, my distance was 2.41miles and time was 18:23. This, I'm reliably informed by my Garminn 305 is a pace of 7:37min/mile.
    (Reason for 2.41miles was I had to pick up my car at that distance! I'll be sure to copy this route though in 6 weeks time for the update.)

I reckon I'd have been able to get close to breaking 18mins on this route if it wasn't for the fact I misjudged how warm it was and so ran with a long sleeve t-shirt and an Aldi running jacket....I was regretting it after 300m!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

jlang wrote: »
    Sounds reasonable, but coach Woddle said do 600m recovery so I did 600. I figured it was OK for 600m slow to take longer than 800m fast. After a couple of the reps my recovery consisted of 30 seconds of staggering and the balance jogging.

*Hand up* Please teacher, is there any guideline on what pace the recovery run should be jogged at??

jlang...sounds like you put the effort in anyways!!

Well done Belcarra and it'll be great to compare in 6 weeks time. If you have sportstrack you maybe able to create a lap, so you might be able to create a lap after 12 mins to give you your cooper test.

belcarra wrote: »
    *Hand up* Please teacher, is there any guideline on what pace the recovery run should be jogged at??

jlang...sounds like you put the effort in anyways!!

For now being that its the start of the 12 weeks I would be more concerned about people getting all the reps done. I mentioned already that Salazar does the recoveries by distance and Pfitzinger does it by time 50-90% of the time it took you to do the rep.
    For the reason of getting all reps done is why I chose Salazars way and I would imagine as you get fitter your recovery over the set distance will get closer to one another. By the sounds of jlang and I could be wrong but if he did not take a longer recovery over the set distance after rep 5, he may not have got the 6th in, hence why distance over time for now.

The pace for the recovery is up to you and walk if needed as its only the start of the program so your not expected to be hammering out these reps with little recovery, it will take away from the enjoyment and satisfaction of the session. As we start to build our tollerance for the sessions the recovery will play more of a part.

• Advertisement

Just back now and trying to extract the relavent data from one bit of software or another. It happened to be a mile to where I planned on doing my laps anyway so I just used that as the warm up and then just used the "simple" workout of 2.5 miles. Only I didn't realise what the watch was doing at the end, played some tune at me, and I ended up pressing the start button again in my confusion so that has messed up trying to find the correct numbers from SportTracks a bit ... anyway ...

My 2.5 mile time is 15:02 and the LeCheill test 12min distance is 2miles, although the numbers don't quite add up between the splits on the first two miles and then where it has the track point for the 12minute mark so I think I'll give myself the extra couple of meters and call it 3220meters/ 12minutes.

Well done Robinph, I should have warned you about the beeps :D
    15:02 very impressive, you don't seem to have lost any fitness with all that cross training in the snow. Your putting it up to me for mine tomorrow. I might do my tt downhill :D I won't really, I hope marley is opened early in the morning though as I want to get back for the marathon.

Will be watching the marathon tomorrow myself, and then the Grand Prix as I've missed them all so far this year, so wanted to get it out of the way today. It is very scary to think that they are going to be plodding around over a minute quicker than me per mile and for an extra 24 of them tomorrow morning though.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

ok, because of the good weather i cant justify not going for a run.

i cant stomach doing laps so i've found a 2.5 mile stretch of my usual route with landmarks at both ends. its pretty hilly but if i do my final time trial on the same route it wont really matter.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/ireland/stillorgan/707124067686158297

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

...well at least i have plenty of room to improve!

18:34 in total.

Did 1.6 miles in the first 12 minutes.

thats 7:26 per mile. not bad, thats a bit better than my marathon pace, but it was tough! im amazed at how much my fitness has gone down in the month since connemara.

Name|How many sessions completed|
    Woddle|0|
    Belcarra |1|
    Robinph |1|
    Showry |0|
    911sc |0|
    Rainbow Kirby |0|
    Figs |1|
    ecoli |0|
    Jlang |1|
    Amadeus |0|
    MCOS |0|
    christeb |0|
    New2triathlon |0|
    Nerraw1111|0|
    Uglyjohn |1|
    St Mochtas |0|
    Seres |0|
    Runforrest |0|

Ok I put this table together and to show you its not a competition I have those who have done the most sessions in last place :D, feel free to take yourself of the list if you feel its too much like a competition but its not, its for me to check on who is falling behind and that could be important for setting some sessions and also for those after the 12 weeks who are racing well and setting pb's, it will be nice for me and them to see that it was through consistant hard work. Also feel free to join the program and add yourself to the list at any time. One other thing, if you have a race on a certain week be sensible with your sessions and you might have to drop a session in favour of the race but count the race as a session and add it to the list.Any suggestions for the list let me know and its up to you when you complete a session to update the table.

Just to clarify the pace the intervals are to be done at, its current 5k race pace. If you have not done a 5k race, put in your most recent race into mcmillan calculator and read across to the 5k on the table. http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Woddle wrote: »
    Name|How many sessions completed|
    Woddle|0|
    Belcarra |1|
    Robinph |1|
    Showry |0|
    911sc |0|
    Rainbow Kirby |0|
    Figs |1|
    ecoli |0|
    Jlang |1|
    Amadeus |0|
    MCOS |0|
    christeb |0|
    New2triathlon |0|
    Nerraw1111|0|
    Uglyjohn |1|
    St Mochtas |0|
    Seres |0|
    Runforrest |0|
    BeepBeep67 |1|

quote]

6 x 400m @ 1 mile pace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

hey woddle
    do we need to do a 2.5mile time trial before we start these sessions ?

Seres wrote: »
    hey woddle
    do we need to do a 2.5mile time trial before we start these sessions ?

Hi Seres, I just had a look at your log, 4x1400 solid session. No you don't need to do the time trial before we start, it's just 1 option out of 3 for session 1, check here for full details http://boardsac.blogspot.com/
    I don't think your too far away from where you where when you did the Donadea 10k (I think it was), so I would say a few speed sessions would be ideal for you before your goal race.

• Advertisement

Hi Seres, I just had a look at your log, 4x1400 solid session. No you don't need to do the time trial before we start, it's just 1 option out of 3 for session 1, check here for full details http://boardsac.blogspot.com/
    I don't think your too far away from where you where when you did the Donadea 10k (I think it was), so I would say a few speed sessions would be ideal for you before your goal race.
    have a 10k race monday week , havent raced in months , opportunities kept slipping away , what time do you think i should go for ? i am struggling to know what pace i should go out cause i havent raced in so long

have a 10k race monday week , havent raced in months , opportunities kept slipping away , what time do you think i should go for ? i am struggling to know what pace i should go out cause i havent raced in so long

Have a look here for what you should do for the week, I found racing flats post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055544597&page=4

I'm not that familiar with your training yet and I would only be guessing, if its not your goal race just use it for the expeience and start the race on the side of caution and ease into it and at least you'll take sth out of the race and you'll know what pace to go out at in the next race.

Name|How many sessions completed|Last session
    Woddle|1|2.5 mile tt
    Belcarra |1|2.5 mile tt
    Robinph |1|2.5 mile tt
    Showry |0|
    911sc |0|
    Rainbow Kirby |0|
    Figs |1|6x800m @ 5k race pace
    ecoli |0|
    Jlang |1|6x800m @ 5k race pace
    Amadeus |0|
    MCOS |0|
    christeb |0|
    New2triathlon |0|
    Nerraw1111|0|
    Uglyjohn |1|2.5 mile tt
    St Mochtas |0|
    Seres |0|
    Runforrest |0|
    BeepBeep67 |1|6 x 400m @ 1 mile pace

Did my 2.5 mile time trial this morning in 16:34, found it tough, it was 4 laps and a bit of a 1000 meter lap in Marley park, lovely conditions for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Woddle|1|2.5 mile tt
    Belcarra |1|2.5 mile tt
    Robinph |1|2.5 mile tt
    Showry |0|
    Rainbow Kirby |0|
    ecoli |0|
    Amadeus |0|
    MCOS |0|
    christeb |0|
    New2triathlon |0|
    Nerraw1111|0|
    Uglyjohn |1|2.5 mile tt
    St Mochtas |0|
    Seres |0|
    Runforrest |0|

No offence, I am taking myself off the list as i decided to focus on my OW swimming and cycling for the next couple of months. I am still going to run for sure, but combined with either swim or cycle, triathlon obliged. Speed will not be the issue, finishing will be, HIM being the target for August.
    Best of luck in your training.

Woddle|1|2.5 mile tt
    Belcarra |1|2.5 mile tt
    Robinph |1|2.5 mile tt
    Showry |0|
    Rainbow Kirby |0|
    ecoli |0|
    Amadeus |0|
    MCOS |0|
    christeb |0|
    New2triathlon |0|
    Nerraw1111|0|
    Uglyjohn |1|2.5 mile tt
    St Mochtas |0|
    Seres |0|
    Runforrest |0|

None taken :)

hey woddle , had meant to do the 800m reps session last night but had to opt for an easy run cause it was too dark when i got out , will get at them tonight , posting this is to put pressure on me to commit ,:)

had meant to do the 800m reps session last night but had to opt for an easy run cause it was too dark when i got out , will get at them tonight , posting this is to put pressure on me to commit ,:)

Exactly what the thread is for :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Exactly what the thread is for :D

I'll join in mid may, my sessions are going to be close to them maybe just a little differnet then..

http://dublinathletics.com/dynamic/pdf/Graded%20Meeting%20No%20209.xls
    May the 6th at 20:35 in the 1500m D race. After been told that I won't make a show of myself, I've decided to give this a lash, just wondering if anyone else is interested in joining me and the race will obviously replace one of your sessions next week. I would urge everyone to try the track, after running in Santry last week, I think I'm hooked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

http://dublinathletics.com/dynamic/pdf/Graded%20Meeting%20No%20209.xls
    May the 6th at 20:35 in the 1500m D race. After been told that I won't make a show of myself, I've decided to give this a lash, just wondering if anyone else is interested in joining me and the race will obviously replace one of your sessions next week. I would urge everyone to try the track, after running in Santry last week, I think I'm hooked.
    I would love to but I dont think i'll be in any fit state that night, will defo be running some of them next month , Might need to make sure were registered ;)

Advertisement