Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsatified with my test?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

The main reason that instructors and testers are exempt from the seatbelt law is in case they need to take control of the steering to avoid a collision/accident. If they are wearing the seatbelt it may prevent them from reaching the wheel in a hurry!

That being said testers are recommended to wear their seatbelts and most instructors will also wear them except perhaps for the very first lesson with a total beginner where some steering assistance may be needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Adam Selene

If the tester was really big enough to be blocking controls, and I see this as a perfectly valid complaint, it should have been said when test began. I'd write a letter to the RSA anyway complaining so they are aware of the issue, if a number of people complain they'll have to do something about it, even if it means saying tester is medical unfit for the job.
    He wasnt particularly large, but he was slouching to one side in the seat.

I reckon he was just having an bad day and I cant hold it against him, but I paid my 38 euro for a service and I dont feel that service was provided.

There is a appeals process through the courts with regard to an unfair test that treats the RSA as a govenrnment body, but, they charged a fee which means that they are also subject to consumer protection legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 brian.bkenny

In fairness, 75 quid means nothing in the grand scheme of things. The test went a bit pear shaped because of the instructor, fair enough.

I bet once you resit your test and pass it, your not going to really care about the instructor at all.

My advice would be, but the test behind you, start thinking positivity about the next one and pass your test. You'll be over the moon once you do!

75 euro isnt much in the grand scheme of things but 20 weeks is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 brian.bkenny

Better than messing around in court, either way you want your full license and the only way your going to get it is by resitting your test.

Don't make life harder on yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Simon Jester

ztoical wrote: »
    They can't refund the test, this has been said a number of times and you don't seem to be listening. All the courts can do is give you a free test. If you've already passed your test by then won't be worth much to you or if your in such a rush for another test you'll be waiting a bloody long time going via the courts.

I think it is you who misunderstands the system, The driving test has a nominal value of 75 euro. If you were awarded a test you could simply cancel it outside of the 11 days for your "fee".

Indeed, that might not even be necessary as the judge is unkikely to see any practical difference between a free test in the future or a test in the past which could be made free. It is effectively the same thing.

And

The judge would most likely refund the previous test had it been passed as any judicial review would likely inform the RSA to, as the OP eloquently stated "go masticate a donkeys testicles".

In the meantime, I would recommend writing an angry letter to the Irish Times. It is a very theraputic to express your discontent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I think it is you who misunderstands the system, The driving test has a nominal value of 75 euro. If you were awarded a test you could simply cancel it outside of the 11 days for your "fee".

Indeed, that might not even be necessary as the judge is unkikely to see any practical difference between a free test in the future or a test in the past which could be made free. It is effectively the same thing.

And

The judge would most likely refund the previous test had it been passed as any judicial review would likely inform the RSA to, as the OP eloquently stated "go masticate a donkeys testicles".

The Judge cannot overturn the earlier tests results all they can do is give the OP another test - you can't then cancel that test and get a refund, the test is free, no fee was paid.

I think the assumption is that the OP had passed a test in the meantime, which is plausible given the average waiting list for district court cases.

This is the key point you seem to be missing, there is no practical difference and the judge would we well tithin his rights to consider the test already taken as the free test awarded for a sucessful appeal and ask for a refund to be given, the RSA would be unlikely to decline as they would not want the bad press.

I wonder why we are discussing technicalities of the appeals process in the future tense given that the OP has only talked about it in the conditional, I reckon that he/she is hoping for the RSA to recognise the mistakes made, they cant all be useless Westminster Bankers, Walter Anchors or even Oil Tankers

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sunjammer

the RSA would be unlikely to decline as they would not want the bad press.

The RSA are not like a private company therefore have nothing to loose from bad press it's not going to be a case of nobody will apply to take a driving test over this.. In fact an RSA tester and probably his supervisor or chief tester would love their day out in court at the OP's expense.

My feeling is then the OP would not be giving any real favours in a future test they would do every thing by the book and would not be rushing to give a test date, A judge will look at this as a public road safety issue and will take the testers word, so I'd say forget about it and just concentrate on your next test, it's not worth getting worked up about

I would have to concur with Sunjammer. By all means complain to the RSA over this, They cant give you a test any slower for voicing your discontent but dont expect the world.

I would call the RSA tomorrow and instruct their complaints manager to talk to the tester involved, hopefully they will hear (down the phone line) that he has a chest infection and there is a chance you might be offered another test or a fast track with a new fee.

Incidentally, If you cant drive you probably take the bus right? So you must have plenty of free time in which to make phone calls. I would get a phone plan with free 1890 calls (vodafone does one) and indulge in a little light harrassment, best way to get anything you want. Pay another fee and call them every day and ask if they have a cancellation slot for tomorrow.

• Advertisement

He didn't test me on secondary controls or hand signals, isnt that compulsory?

As for light harrasment, im presuming a govt. agency cant get a restraining order, it would be rather difficult to take a test when I am not allowed within 200m of any RSA employee.

****EDIT****

He definately did not test me on hand signals or secondary controls, the driving test website seems to imply that the secondary control test is compulsory. Does anyone know about this. I think I have the RSA by the Davina McCalls, Niagra falls, Market Stalls or even Cobblers Awls (out cockneyd Simon Jester)

I think you are clutching at straws! The facts are you have 50% more grade 2 faults than the maximum pass mark and you now seem to be looking for someone else to blame. There may have been contributory factors but you will find those in normal driving also - screaming kids, road rage from other drivers, poor weather and visibility, coughing passengers :D - you need to be able to cope with all of them. Take the responsibility that your driving at that particular time was not up to standard, learn from it and move on - you will gain very little from chasing the RSA. It still comes down to your word against the tester and no matter what you think the only appeal process is in the District Court.

Testers have a certain amount of discretion during the test - for example if its raining you wont be asked to open the bonnet. Also they are supposed to ask 18 questions but you will hear from most people here that they were asked less. At the end of the day whether you were asked the hand signals or the secondary controls or not would not have impacted the test result except perhaps by adding more grade 2 faults to it.

If you get so caught up in fighting the RSA instead of focussing on improving your driving I think there is a good chance you may fail again next time. Apart from the late instruction you havent mentioned the other faults - what does your driving instructor think of your driving ? Was he/she surprised you failed and what are they advising ?

Both of my driving insrtuctors were confident I would pass. One of them is an ex SGS tester who gave me a mock test, which I passed. Another person who took a test on wednesday and was unhappy with the tester and is thinking of pursuing a similar complaint (but might not as she has no problems with flouting the law and driving about alone and as a woman she is unlikey to be arrested for driving so).

I would reject the assertion that I am clutching at straws. You would be rather pissed off if you had paid 38 euro and waited 12 weeks before getting a test. Which was then conducted in a sloppy and unprofessional manner. And then told you will have to pay 75 euro and wait another 20 weeks.

I am fully aware that ommitting the secondary controls and hand signals from the test could not have lowered my mark, however it does indicate a sloppy attitude by the tester and if I paid to have my hand signals and heater operation skills tested I will complain that the test was not carried out in full and I would be entitled to a refund under consumer protection legislation that, as a fee charging entity the RSA is subject to (Directive 2005/29/EC the Unfair Commercial Practices Directive).

Testers (like judges incidentally) have a certain amount of discretion but I highly doubt that that extends to the omission a section of the test.

There is no way the RSA can make me wait longer than anyone else for a test and since I am looking at graduating to the Dole Queue soon I will have plenty of time to bitch at the RSA.

Well I think we've come to an impasse on this thread and we will have to agree to disagree.

There is a well known reaction when people come out of a driving test, its either :

I passed

or

He/she failed me

When people pass the driver takes all the credit for being a great driver and no credit to the tester for maybe being a little lenient or considerate etc. When people fail its usually all the testers fault, marking hard etc - I'm generalising of course but you get what I mean - many people dont take responsibility or accept that it was primarily their own mistakes or failures that caused them to fail.

If you can honestly say that even if you had passed on Wed you would still be asking for a retest because of the 'sloppy and unprofessional manner' in which the test was conducted then fair play to you and I wish you well. However, if you wouldnt want a retest in the case of a pass then I stand by my assumption that you are clutching at straws and looking for someone else to blame instead of just accepting it an moving on.

Best of luck with however you decide to proceed and please do let us know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

DriveSkill wrote: »
    When people pass the driver takes all the credit for being a great driver and no credit to the tester for maybe being a little lenient or considerate etc.

Agreed!

I had previously taken a test and I failed that one, The tester was the consumate professional, he examined the whole driving sylabus, not just the bits he felt like, he marked the green faults so I could adjust my driving accordingly. He gave clear directions in good time and when I failed it was my own fault.

The test I took on wednesday was conducted by a tester who was too ill to be working (and I sincerly hope that whatever he had is not conatagious), was slouching in the seat and thus blocking my gearstick and handbrake, couldnt be bothered marking the Green faults AND I now fint that he didnt administer the whold driving test as I am sure his contract states he must.

I think you would be rather pissed off too.

And no, if I passed I would not ask for a retest, I would however lodge a compalint as the tester was unfit to provide directions and could have caused an accident if he was testing a less experienced or more nervous candidate, and if an accident had happened he would have likely killed anyone in the car through his refusal to wear a seatbelt (sheer hypocracy when you consider the millions spent on those buckle- up ads) and if the RSA wanted to dispute the test and take away my certificate of competency they could take me to court and see how it turns out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

the test I took on wednesday was conducted by a tester who was too ill to be working (and I sincerly hope that whatever he had is not conatagious), was slouching in the seat and thus blocking my gearstick and handbrake, couldnt be bothered marking the Green faults AND I now fint that he didnt administer the whold driving test as I am sure his contract states he must.

Did you say anything to the tester on the day? Did you tell him you couldn't understand/hear him or that he was giving you directions to late? Did you mention that you were having difficulty operating the controls due to his obstruction of them? If this was your first test you could claim you didn't know any better but you've said this isn't your first test so you should know how the test runs and can't claim nerves for not saying this to the tester. Did you say anything to him during the test regarding his conduct or after the test? Did you contact the RSA straight away? If you take this to court these questions will be brought up and it can be argued that because you didn't bring any of this the tester attention before, during or straight after the test and that you sat the whole test, that there's nothing to be done about it now. It would be like getting a meal that was burnt, eating the whole meal, leaving and coming back the next day and wanting a refund because your meal was burnt.

Rewritten to improve clarity:

If they give me the impression that they are not following the complaints procedure I will remind them that all of the paperwork produced and decisions made are subject to review, by me, under the freedom of information act.
    Did you say anything to the tester on the day? Did you tell him you couldn't understand/hear him or that he was giving you directions to late? Did you mention that you were having difficulty operating the controls due to his obstruction of them? If this was your first test you could claim you didn't know any better but you've said this isn't your first test so you should know how the test runs and can't claim nerves for not saying this to the tester. Did you say anything to him during the test regarding his conduct or after the test? Did you contact the RSA straight away? If you take this to court these questions will be brought up and it can be argued that because you didn't bring any of this the tester attention before, during or straight after the test and that you sat the whole test, that there's nothing to be done about it now. It would be like getting a meal that was burnt, eating the whole meal, leaving and coming back the next day and wanting a refund because your meal was burnt.

I did not specifically mention my grievances to the tester as I was unsure if I could maintain my composure (best not to go rushing into and argument on an adrenaline high). My displeasure however was evident and a complaint was lodged with the RSA on the same day. I dont think having a shouting match with the tester would have been beneficial to anyone, especially the next candidate.

I think before making a complaint it is wise to take a couple of hours to calm down, I did, and after that time I was still resolute in my perception the test had been unfairly conducted.

Thanks for all of your advice, bouncing ideas has been very productive and I think I have a few good points to make to the complaints manager. I still, 72 hours later, feel that the test was unfairly conducted and I am going to pursue it, though not to the point of quixotic stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭greyc

Thanks for all of your advice, bouncing ideas has been very productive and I think I have a few good points to make to the complaints manager.

It's the RSA, what on earth would make you think they have a "Complaints Manager". I'd have to say fair play to you for sticking to your guns but like most other posters here I'd have little hope that you'd be successful either with the RSA or thru the courts, but best of luck anyway.

• Advertisement

I asked to to be put through to whoever was in charge of complaints and I was, so I assume they do.

Even if I dont get a retest but I get a logical, well written and fair reply to my complaint I will let it go. But if they tell me to Vincent Van Gough I will do my upmost to make life very difficult for them.

I do think the threat of a FOIA will be enough to light a fire under their collective Hargen Daas.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

I do think the threat of a FOIA will be enough to light a fire under their collective Hargen Daas.

God bless your innocence

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This thread has been going round in circles for the last 2 pages.
    If anyone has a valid reason for me to keep this thread open they can PM me, otherwise.
    Thread Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement