Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runner's Trots

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Wednesday: Cycle-20k easy

Run-8k easy

Thursday- Run 11km fartlek, 55 mins. Morning run. Hard!
    did you enjoy the fartlek ? i thinks its such a fun session , especially with a group .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Hi Seres. I usually enjoy it alright- it's a tough enough session, but you get a grand buzz after. Today was a bit too early for me though!

Friday- cycle 58km; about 1hr 50 and a bit. Nice morning for it

Saturday-rest

Sunday- long run 24km mostly off road, a few good hills on this, about 350m total height gained. 2hrs 15mins.

Monday: Cycle 20km
    Swim 1250m total- 200m warm up, then 750m straight, 3x100m

Tuesday: 14km run, tempo, 1hr3mins, nice hilly loop mostly offroad.

Last week summary:
    Swim-0
    Cycle x 2: 20/58
    Run x 5 8/14/8/11/24k

Run to work- 8km flat + easy, 38 min. Such a humid morning, I was soaked. Still, better than this evening...

• Advertisement

Today: run 14.5km, Fartlek, 1hr05. Enormous breakfast, then a run within 20 minutes. Not the best preparation but I felt surprisingly good. Run was 2.5 warm-up, 1km warm-down and then 11km fartlek. The rain had passed through, all nice and washed, no cars on the road section, deer in the park- great stuff!

you got a good bit of running in this week already , do you feel its improving ? what sessions do you get in the week ?

Hey Seres, Trying to ramp up the running now alright for dingle and dublin. I'm not noticing much change in pace, but that's alright as I need to work on the endurance. I find this slowly improving.

I try to do one long slow run at the weekend and get this up to 32km before dublin, 1 tempo run and 1 or 2 fartlek. Then one or two shorter sessions to make 5 in total. I'll stay off the sprint work for now, we'll see how DCM goes.

I don't want to drop the cycling and swimming fully either so hopefully one of each a week will keep things ticking over...not enough time!

Run this morning- 8km, 37.30min

Saturday: Cycle 60km, 2hrs. Found this really hard. I'd nothing in the legs on the very first hill, and it didn't get any easier. I had to go 1 or 2 gears easier than normal the whole way around. After reading MCOS's log I was sure my brake pads would be rubbing as well. Unfortunately not. A nice varied spin though- just wasn't able to really enjoy it.

Sunday- Long run 27km, flat. 2hrs 10mins. Waited until the rain stopped! Nice run, forgot to bring water/some cash to buy some. The puddles were looking very tempting on the last few km. Felt a lot easier than last week though.

Last week summary:
    Swim x 1 1250m
    Cycle x 2 20/60 km
    Run x 5 14.5/8/14/8/27 km

Easy day today...

• Advertisement

Saturday: Cycle 60km, 2hrs. Found this really hard. I'd nothing in the legs on the very first hill, and it didn't get any easier. I had to go 1 or 2 gears easier than normal the whole way around. After reading MCOS's log I was sure my brake pads would be rubbing as well. Unfortunately not. A nice varied spin though- just wasn't able to really enjoy it.

Sunday- Long run 27km, flat. 2hrs 10mins. Waited until the rain stopped! Nice run, forgot to bring water/some cash to buy some. The puddles were looking very tempting on the last few km. Felt a lot easier than last week though.

Last week summary:
    Swim x 1 1250m
    Cycle x 2 20/60 km

Easy day today...

very solid week there , well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

The puddles were looking very tempting on the last few km......

Last week summary:
    Swim x 1 1250m
    Cycle x 2 20/60 km

Easy day today...

Good week there... running going well. What is your DM target?

Cheers guys! Running going okay alright- I'm a bit paranoid about increasing it too quickly though. DCM target is 3:30, it's my first and I especially want to enjoy the day. I've the Dingle half in a couple of weeks- hoping for sub 90 on that, it depends on the wind as it's goingto be 21k straight into the westerly!

Monday- 20km cycle; easy

Tuesday- run 15km, 15min warm up, then 45min tempo hilly off-road, then 10min warmdown, total 1hr10. Chased by a few dogs, but threw a few rocks at them. That'll learn 'em!

Tuesday- sneaked in 32km on the bike in the evening.

Wednesday- run 9km, 45mins, "easy" run- was actually fairly hard going. The day before took a little more out of me than I expected. Hadn't much in the legs for this one. I hadn't planned to taper much for the Fermoy tri, but I will ease up from today or I'll suffer on Sunday.

Good luck in Fermoy, I might come down and watch.

Friday- 12km run, 60mins. Easy run

Saturday-nothing. Not so good

Sunday- Blackwater sprint tri. Very nice day out, will lash up a report once the times are out

Today: cycle 20km

Blackwater tri:

A very enjoyable day! Well run event and great atmosphere. I hadn't done a sprint tri for some time and never swam in a river like this. I think it suited weaker swimmers like me though.

Got down to Fermoy about half nine, registered quickly and then sheltered from the rain for a while. It was pretty bleak at this stage, but cleared up about an hour or so before the start. Read the Sindo-what a rag! Went down racked up the bike and met a few friends. The transition was right by the bridge. We got a briefing- shouting was more effective than the loudspeaker and all walked down to the start, about 10mins muddy walk. I went barefoot but it made no difference. Into the water then- a bit too early because it was bloody cold! My hands were going numb before the start. When we had all drifted down to the start the gun went.

The swim went fine- very little bumpy stuff at the start and I got into a good position in the middle of the river. Water was cold enough as mentioned but seemed to be fairly clean. Out at a pontoon and then a long run over the bridge into transition. My swim time was 12 mins and T1 of 2.56. Transition was getting a little slippy at this stage but nothing too bad.

Off on the cycle then- a decent enough hill to start (which we'd have on the run as well) on good roads and with no major wind and only a little drizzle. Overtook a few and got overtaken by a few in the early kms. Around halfway a big bunch came past me. Now I'm pretty mild-mannered but the drafting going on by these guys was ridiculous, and pissed me off a little. I went up alongside the last guy, tried to get his number (no such luck) and gave him a little about the 7m. It's hard for the draftbusters and these guys were just taking the piss. They were pretty poor on the hills and I'd get past. One stage over the top there was a long flat bit I look around and there's three guys sitting on my wheel. Brazen! Eventually they got a bit of a lead and were about 100m or so ahead coming back into Fermoy. One took a spill dismounting-pretty slippy conditions.

Out on the run- I found this pretty hard. The first k was a good uphill, then a long uphill drag to the turnaround which looked flat but wasn't! I was a good minute and a half quicker coming back. Not much to say about this- I got past the last drafter at about 2km, got overtaken by only one guy who was really motoring. Nearly caught a guy in the last km but couldn't quite bridge the gap. But I beat my friend! That's the most important thing.

Time for the cycle 34.44, t2-1.18 and run-21.41, so 1.12.34 in total. There were 2 waves so I wasn't sure of overall position but it was 18th with one relay team ahead, which I was happy with.

The goody bag was a rehydration powder, a keyring and a nice t-shirt at the finish- I nearly forgot to pick this up! Free of fliers/ads/10% off stuff which was good.

Hard to believe that's the last tri of the summer! Looking forward to the DCM now. The crowds at Fermoy gave a little taster- real good atmosphere. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone for next year.

Last week summary:
    Swim x1- 750m
    Cycle x3- 20/32/20
    Runx 4 -15/9/12/5

Back running tomorrow.

Today- run fartlek, 15km trail. 1hr 10mins. Lovely day for a run.

Nice performance there to complete Tri season. Good luck with the Marathon prep now. I think you will cruise to sub 3'30 if yuo get your taper right :)

• Advertisement

Yesterday- 8km easy run, 42mins
    Today- 14.5km 2k warm-up then tempo run; 1hr5mins
    Good few other runners out today. Must be marathon season!

just catchin up on the log , good race report , sure you got some pleasure in passing the darfters on the run :D

Away for a few days but got my long run in yesterday

Thursday evening- cycle 20km
    Friday- run 9km, 40mins
    Saturday-off
    Sunday- 28km hilly run, mostly trail. 2hrs 12. It was so wet! Got completely soaked. Good training though if the day is like that in Dublin. I learned a few things about chafing spots!

Last week summary:

Swim x 0- probably only one of these every 2 weeks for now
    Cycle x 2- 20/20
    Run x 5- 15/8/14.5/9/28

Busy week this week. Not for training though.

Monday- easy 7km run- 37mins
    Tuesday- nothing. Didn't feel the best today
    Wednesday- 14km hilly fartlek run- 400m ascent, 1hr10mins
    Thursday- 5km in 20mins

Dingle half is on Saturday so a relatively light week. Looking forward to the run now, the weather is looking sweet. Forecast for an easterly tailwind and sunny which doesn't happen too much round Slea Head way. Happy days!
    Timewise I'll be hoping for sub-90 all going well, and if the hill around Slea head isn't as steep as I remember.

Friday- did a quick 2.5k run early on.

Saturday- Dingle Half marathon. Great day for this! We headed back early enough, no probs with parking etc in town. There was a good crowd already gathering around the start, and it was starting to warm up already.
    The run went from Dingle, through Ventry and around Slea head to finish in Dunquin. The full marathoners had a tougher second half back around to Dingle. For us a bit of rolling hills before Ventry, then a gradual ascent to Slea head before descending to dunquin. Not too hilly but not flat either.

We got away just after nine. I was just back from the front and got into a group moving along fairly nicely. The markers were in miles only, so I had to do a bit of working out for my target time. As it was we were going a bit too fast for me, went through 2 miles in just over 12 minutes and 4 miles in 25, so I eased back a little and the little group went off ahead. 6 miles was in 39 minutes. From Ventry on it got tougher but the views made up for it- out to the blaskets and the skelligs. The climb up to Slea head is never steep but drags on a little. I ran this bit with one other guy who was aiming for sub-90 as well and it looked like we had it in the bag by now. Took a gel at nine miles, felt pretty good and we pushed on overtaking a few people dropped from the little bunch.

Around Slea Head and down into Dunquin- there was one extra hill I'd forgotten about on this stretch which took it out of the old legs a bit. The last 2 miles were tough, but crossed the line in just over 1:26 which I was happy with. I've not done a HM for a few years so this is 7 minutes better than previous best.

Stuck around the finish waitig for a few people to arrive, we got the buses back in and watched the marathoners struggle in the heat on the way. Bit of time in Dingle and then a swim in Inch on the way home. Perfect!

Overall a very well run event. Pretty expensive and we got lucky with the weather, but the closed roads were fantastic and things like the buses went very smoothly, and plenty of water stops etc

Took a rest day yesterday, and back into it today.

Monday- unplanned rest day. Had hoped to get in a shortish run but didn't happen.

Today- 16km steady run, 1hr 10, 3k warm up and then held a steady pace for the rest. Flat. Felt good to get back into it again.

1'26! for a hilly half marathon :eek: Forget about 3'30 at DM that puts you on more like 3'05 I reckon.

Thanks MCOS! I've had a bit of time to take in the HM result and consider the target for the DCM. The half in Dingle wasn't too hilly though! 3:30 is a bit conservative alright so if the training goes okay the next few weeks I'll revise that down to 3:15 or lower.

Main aim now is to get in a few good long runs- longest has been 29km so far, and to stay injury free. Working on marathon pace will be another thing to target. I went out too fast in Dingle but at least I was able to recognise that.

Yesterday- 10km slow run, 50mins
    Today- 14.5km, fartlek, 1hr8mins. Lovely crisp morning, sun rising, great stuff.

Cycle yesterday- 20km, easy
    Run today- 8km, 38mins

I'd love to go on a nice long cycle tomorrow but with a long run planned for Sunday this mightn't be the best idea. A couple of weeks off the bike and the cycling fitness is gone!

• Advertisement

Saturday- didn't feel the best. Took it easy with just a very gentle 15k untimed cycle.

Sunday- Long run. Off at 8am after a big breakfast. Total 32-33km in 2hrs40. Took nothing to eat on the run and only one drink break (a stream!). Nice run with a couple of good hills- both were 200m ascent. This was the first of hopefully 3 20milers before the marathon. Tired enough afterwards and a small bit of pain in the big toe but otherwise not too bad.

Plan for this week is a couple of tough fartleks, and an easier week from next weekend.

Summary of last week:

Swim-0
    Cyclex1- 20km
    Runx5 16/10/14.5/8/32

Advertisement