Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runner's Trots

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Swim: 100/150/200/250/300/250/200/150/100/50- total:1750m
    Swam like a brick.

Run- 9.5km; 45 mins, 1km warm-up, then 90% for 8k, then warm down.

Last weeks summary:
    Swimx0 :rolleyes:
    Runx3 14k/8k/5k
    Cycle x2 MTB 60mins/180km :D

Checked out that 5k run from last week, it was 5km alright according to mapmyrun so happy enough with the time from that.

Neglegting the log- have an excuse though!

Friday- 12.5km run, 1hr2, junk miles basically
    Saturday-nothing
    Sunday- 1000m OW swim- very choppy but nice swim; followed with a 10km run in 46 mins
    Monday-nothing
    Tuesday- 8km run- 40.30min

Basically a vomiting plague swept the house on Saturday (everybody else) and Sunday/Monday(me). Oh the humanity! Feeling better now- yesterday's run was a little much at the time, but couldn't swim and bike is still at the shop.

Only 3 weeks now until the Kenmare Tri so better get back into it.

Last week summary:
    Swim x2- 1750/1000 (OW)
    Cycle x 1- 55km
    Run x 3- 9.5/12.5/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

euch.. those bugs go as quick as they come but still... euch. Hate when my son gets it though, feels worse than having it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

I was wondering where you were, thought you were slackin' off! Hope that bleedin' bug is well gone

• Advertisement

I have been slacking off! It's a month since my last proper long run- I still have the DCM as a main goal, so this will have to change.

Yesterday- nothing :D. No energy at all. The bike is fixed though and I'm back to normal today.

Yesterday- cycle 25km, over one hour but on the mountain bike

Run- warm up and down and then 3min fast/1min slow intervals. total 7.5km 30:30. Nice run, felt pretty good until the last set.

Tried to get up for a swim this morning- bed was too comfortable though.

Friday- 20km cycle

Saturday- nice 17km run in 1:35 with the brother.

Sunday- Cycle 1:45, will check the distance. Bonked something awful after an hour and a half. Then I saw a shop, like an oasis in the desert. 5 minutes, 2 moros, 1 bounty and a bottle of coke later I was feeling better. Pity because I was near enough to the end of the cycle as well.
    Cycle was 57 km, good roads though and not actually out and back so I had the wind behind me for about 3/4 of it...

yummmmm, morro

Lovely day here yesterday. Cycle 20km and a 5km run off the bike in 21 mins.

Last week summary:
    Swim x 0
    Cycle x 3 25/20/57
    Run x 3 8/7.5/17

• Advertisement

Yesterday swim; 100/150/200/250/300/250/200/100x3/50= 1800m.
    Today- 9.5km in 46mins, early morning run- not too fond of these.

Yesterday: cycle 25km

Today: swim- 250/1000/5x100; total 1750m
    Now to see if I can get a run in later today...

Yesterday pm

Run- short warm-up, tempo 8km and short warm-down; total 9km; 38mins. Went out a little too fast on the 8k and found the last few k very tough.

Today- up early; cycle 42km, flat, no wind, 1:17. Very nice spin this morning, nothing on the roads. And Kerry road surface have improved in tha last few years...

Sunday- run 21km approx, nice rolling run, about a third of it on trails. 1hr 50

Summary for the week:

Swimx2- 1800/1750
    Cycle x3- 20/25/42
    Run x4- 5/9.5/9/21

Two weeks now until the next tri in Kenmare. Hopefully get another good week in this week and ease off from Monday.

Yesterday- cycle 20k

Today- run 15km; 1hr10; had planned a shorter fartlek, but went for a steady 15km flat run. Was raining pretty heavily too, and I got showered by a car in a mixture of puddle and horse crap towards the end, but a nice run all the same. Bloody jarveys though- they need to get those nappies on the horses, the town and national park are a disgrace if it rains. You can spot all the tourists that have been cycling from the filthy slick up their backs.

Anyway enough ranting for one day.

Wednesday: swim 1900m- 200m warm up; then 6x200, 3x100 and 200m warm down

Thursday- cycle 54km, flat, no wind, about 1hr45

Friday- Run 11km flat, fartlek, 50mins. Nice run- felt okay for early in the morning.

Saturday nothing

Sunday- I heard on Saturday about a 10k on in Kenmare, so we headed down for this. Didn't know much about the course, but it was a very enjoyable run. Preparation wasn't ideal with a fairly hard run on Friday, but I was still hoping to have a crack off my 10k time of 39:43 from last year. It was probably better not to know because there was a big old hill halfway around.

Anyway it lashed rain from start to finish, but no wind and the roads were nice and quiet. Not too many singlets on show so I came in 5th. 2 young lads in cotton t-shirts and football shorts shot off at the start. I was thinking it wouldn't be long before we caught them up again, but that was the last I saw of them- they did 36 or so on a pretty tough (and slightly long) 10k. The hill went well, probably took it too hard, descent was tough and steep. I got overtaken by TFBubendorfer of Boards fame at about 7k, and came in 25s after him in 39:39. The finish was up a long drag which was pure purgatory.

So a new PB of 4s! Woohoo. Wasn't expecting that while suffering on the hill. Total for the day-13km

The other interesting thing was all the tri bikes and tri club gear around Kenmare. Most not doing the run, but seemed to be down for a training weekend. I suppose for the half ironman next month.

Plan for the week now is a cycle tomorrow, swim and run Tuesday and ease up from there. And hope it dries out just a little for next week

Weeks summary:

Swimx1- 1900m
    Cyclex2 20/54
    Runx3 15/11/13

Cycle- 46km, about 1hr30. Nice cycle. At one point got on a great straight, good surface, slightly downhill for 4k, and with the wind behind me. Happy days :D.
    Surprisingly few cars out too, and lots of cyclists.

Well done on the 10k pb in tough conditions on a tough course! Imagine what the improvement would have been ona flat 10k.

You entered the DM yeah?

Cheers MCOS. Was happy enough with the run alright. Could have shaved another 10-20s off if I took the hill at a better pace, but it was a bit longer than expected! Had shocking DOMS yesterday evening, which I'm blaming on the descent. Sorry to hear about your knee btw. You never know- if tendons/ligaments are ok, the skin might heal up sooner than you expect.

I've entered Dublin- just before the price went up. All set up now with babysitters and a place to stay. Just need to do the training :pac:

And what better training for a marathon than a swim?
    Today:1250m swim, 50-250-50 pyramid, took it nice and easy.

• Advertisement

Today: Cycle-20km
    Run- 8km, no times for these. Took it easy.

Run-8km, 40mins

That's about it until Saturday now. Might get in a couple of km tomorrow to stay loose. The forecast has changed for saturday morning though- it's looking wet now...

Cycle-16km, mostly easy, a couple of short bursts.

Kenmare tri tomorrow. won't make too many predictions for it. Most important thing is to finish this one. 2 DNFs in a row would be a bad trend! Timewise it depends on weather and how tough those hills are, but hopefully under 2:30 overall. And to enjoy it!

Good luck tomorrow, hopefully after your Kilkee mishap you get through this one as reward for your efforts this year.

Bit of a report from the Tri on saturday.

Headed down early on Saturday morning for registration, and got a chance to check out the swim and start of the run. Weather was not too bad at this stage- wet enough but no wind and the swim looked pretty flat. I registered before 8 and the swim started at 10 so there was a little hanging around. I got a bit o food in before the start. No red bull this time round. Goody bag had 2 giant cookies, t-shirt and flyers. The biscuits were fantastic!

The swim started just after ten- a triangular course, very sheltered. The water was murky enough but with no buoys for the first 400m or so there was less barging than usual. I managed to get on some feet which made a difference. Back in to the slipway in the lashing rain then- I saw everybody ahead gingerly climbing up. A slipway in the truest sense of the word. Through the mat in 23 minutes, and then 1 minute for T1. The transition are was right by the end of the swim which made for quick (for me) times. I'd estimate the swim at around 1200-1250m, very flat with only the tiniest bit of chop around the second buoy.

Off on the cycle then- this is a great part of the country. It was flat for about 5k, then a long easy enough climb to about200m, a fast descent to Lauragh, and along the coast road to T2. The climb went ok, I found the coast road rough enough and very windy. It was hard to get into a decent rhythm on this part, but it made for an interesting cycle. The sun came out and the scenery is just the best, especially in around Lauragh. Part of the cycle is on the half ironman course- that would be a fantastic cycle.
    Back to the main road then, got around a couple of guys driving a herd of cattle along the road which was a new one for me, and into transition in 1:08. The last 10k were very fast, mainly downhill, good road surface and a light wind behind. I think the cycle came in at about 37.5-38km.

I felt good on the start of the run, got past a few people quickly, then up a steep old climb, bit of a plateau, and right back down to the turn-around. Round the mat, straight back up again (this was the worst bit) and then cruise along to the finish. Every km was marked which was very helpful. I overtook a few more along this stretch, but got passed by 2 on the final km. Came in the run in 39:37 which I was happy with, total then was 2:12:20 for 14th overall. The run was tough but didn't look as bad as Kilkee, although I didn't get to run that of course. The winner was in in 1:58

Overall a grand day out- well run, great weather and well marshalled. The marshalling was important because I'd say it could be a dodgy enough spot with the traffic etc. Didn't see much drafting myself, and the atmosphere was great really.

Took a day off yesterday and watched some rallying up in Clonmel. Terrifying stuff!

Wow-Thats an amazing result! Well Done! What next??

Super result MrCreosote.. well deserved! Nice splits the whole way through, sounds like a fast triathlon!!

Thanks guys! It was a fast enough one- swim was short which was no harm for me, cycle a couple of km short. The run was honest enough though!

Plan from now is to increase the running for the DCM. I've the Fermoy triathlon in 3 weeks. A sprint distance so will probably train through that. Then Dingle half and the DCM.

And have to start thinking about next year too! Depends how the marathon goes, but a half ironman might be in the mix at some stage.

Monday- run 8km easy

Today- 14km run, 1hr05; 15min warm-up, then 40mins at about 4:30min/km, then warm-down 10mins.
    Summer is back!

Last week summary:

Swimx2 1250m/1250m approx OW
    Cyclex4 46/20/16/38
    Run x3 8/8/10

• Advertisement

Wednesday: Cycle-20k easy

Run-8k easy

Thursday- Run 11km fartlek, 55 mins. Morning run. Hard!

Advertisement