Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runner's Trots

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Yesterday- nothing; rest day. Watched the ITU women's race from Madrid last night. Another exciting race!

Today- cycle 20km,
    Swim- 33m pool; pyramid 2/4/6/8/10/12/10/8/6/4/2 lengths; total 2400m; have noticed I'm pulling a bit to the left so must check that out. Annoying enough in the pool, but a bit of a disaster on the openwater swims

Felt good so did a run after- 1k warm up, then a 5k as hard as possible, 1k warm down. 5k in 18.55, first time under 19mins but must say I've never raced one, and rarely timed it.

Summary for last week:
    1 swim: 1900m
    3 cycle: 45/33/50k
    3 runs: 12/15.5/23k

Hot dog- onto the third page!

Yesterday 9.3km, 48mins, gentle enough run

Today: Cycle- 32km
    Swim- 100 warm-up, 1250m straight (24:30 timed- slower than I expected, no excuses!), 3x100 fast, then 150m warm down; Total-1800m

Long run today, bit early this week- weekend is a write off more or less.
    20.5km, 1:44, Lovely day but stomach cramps from 12k on. Was hoping to do 24k or so but finished a little early.

Packed up the road bike too-lots of bubble wrap, cardboard and going to cross every finger and toe that it will makes it in one piece...

Yesterday-felt a bit unwell, quiet day, 10k cycle only

Today- Swim- 100/200/300/400/500/400/300/200/100 pyramid
    total-2500m, still a bit washed out but almost back to normal.

Yesterday: 20km cycle
    Today- 10km tempo run, last one here, about 10k pace+10%
    Felt good; 43mins even

Last week summary:
    3 run: 7/9.3/20.5
    3 cycle: 20/32/20
    3 swim: 2400/1800/2500

Getting on the plane tomorrow morning so that could be it for this week too. Hope to get at least a couple of runs in though.

• Advertisement

Woohoo- back in the homeland. Long week of travel. Didn't get much training in at all
    Thursday- 11km run; 52mins
    Friday- 9km
    Today- 90mins mountain biking; hard enough going
    Still getting over the jet lag, but getting pumped for HOTW. Just put together the bike today after the trip. Was looking good at the start but then I found a poxing crack in the frame just by the seatpost. Grr! I'll get it down to bike shop tomorrow to see if it's redeemable. Could do without this. I've got it insured at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

Welcome home Mr Creosote!
    Hope the damage to the bike isn't too painful both financially and physically:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Welcome Home. Good that the Bike is insured... HOTW just 12 days away:D

Arrrgh! Frame is a write-off.
    Going to be able to borrow a bike for a few weeks though so hopefully that will work.
    And aren't the long days fantastic! It's warm and sunny :D

Cycle- 60 mins on the mountain bike
    Followed by run- about 4.5km, 21mins
    Lovely evening.
    Have got the loan of a bike for HOTW! Frame's a little small but otherwise looks pretty sweet. Will get it out later in the week for a spin.

• Advertisement

Took the borrowed bike out for a spin. 42km approx, 1hr32
    Nice day. Bike is too small, basically be like riding a brompton, but will do fine for Kilkee with a little tinkering. I'll just mutter "Tri spec frame" if people ask :pac:

Was great to get out on some country roads again!

Yesterday-rest
    Today- swim: 100/200/300/400/500/400/300/200/100 pyramid.
    First swim in about nearly 2 weeks. Felt quite rusty.

Run- 50 minutes, about 10.5k forest tracks.
    Took it fairly easy, small bit of pain in L shin, otherwise lovely evening!

Cycle- 60km, 1hr 56; lovely morning
    Popped the tribars on the loaned bike which worked well enough. Always seemed to have the wind in my face despite cycling a triangle. Had half planned a short run off the bike but was too hungry by the end. Probably better to be starting to take it easier with Kilkee next Saturday.

Yesterday:
    Moderately hilly 12.5km, 1hr02. Very hot
    Today- Cycle, 36km approx. About 1hr10. Hill at the start and end and then 32km in 58mins in the middle. Happy enough with that. Won't be breaking any records at Kilkee obviously.

Yesterday- 5km run
    Today- 1500m swim, took it fairly easy.
    3 more sleeps until HOTW!

Nothing on Thursday and Friday. Back early from Kilkee so I'll beat the rush and lash up a report on the tri today.

Got up yesterday evening, had a look round the beach. First time in Kilkee in many years, but it was a cracker of an evening. The water was flat and very warm. Swim was already marked out which was a bonus. Drove the run-very scenic. I didn't check the cycle which was a bit of a mistake considering how the day went in the end. Registration was smooth and after having a quick look at some bike bling I headed off. The pack had a nice t-shirt, rehydration powder and some hair gel (I think that's what it is anyway).

Lovely and warm today so I headed down early, got a park nice and near, racked the bike- very nice to have marked areas for everybody. I had a bit of a warm-up run just soaked up the atmosphere. Serious amounts of bike wares present! The swim went off on time from the North end of the beach. What a great swim- the bay was flat! I think it was an easterly wind with just the slightest chop out at the outer buoys. And the water was crystal clear really- there are a couple of reefs on the way out and back, and you'd get distracted looking at the fish and jellyfish hanging around there. I started out to the right and didn't find the jostling too bad at all, just around the third buoy maybe it got a little physical. I looked at my watch just at the wading part-28:30mins, but it took until over 30 to get up to transition- started wading too early obviously! Overall a fairly average time for me.

T1 took about 90s I'd say- had a bit of a struggle getting out of the wetsuit but off away with 32 on the clock. There's a decent enough hill coming out of Kilkee with a nice long downhill on the otherside. There was the usual overtaking/being overtaken after the swim, but from then until then end of my cycle I seemed to be around the same few. The weather was hotting up, and there was a gentle crosswind but overall a smashing cycle. I'd no speedometer but every 5k was marked clearly. Overall very well marshalled too. The only near miss was in Doonbeg village- there was this dog strolling across the road without a care in the world. I managed to swerve past, but the guy behind me had to slam on the brakes. I don't think anyone crashed though. It reminded me of this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0dzMp61G5w without the crash, but with the same ambling dog.

There were a few gentle inclines out this part but I found the road surface pretty good and really enjoyed it. I didn't see much drafting- there were a few groups on the first hill but after that not much at all. One guy behind me got warned alright, and the motorcycle were up and down all day. At this stage it was nearly 40km, just the last hill to go, I was on 1:38 and hoping for a 1:20 cycle+T2, when I heard crack snap behind- my derailleur had jumped ship into the rear wheel- snapped a good few spokes and that was pretty much it for me. A real shame, but at least no injuries. I thought if I got the derailleue off I might hobble into town on one gear, but the wheel was wrecked. I walked a bit up the hill but got a lift from a passer-by (never asked their name but thanks), strolled through town and handed in my chip. A weird feeling walking down Kilkee in my gear! A bit of an anticlimax too seeing everybody off on the run, but c'est la vie. I had to be off early so missed all the meal and so on. MCOS- I was just a few bikes down from you in transition! Kept an eye out for you but you've a self-racking bike by the looks of it. You were well gone before me after the swim too.

Overall I still had a great day. At least I got to do most of the cycle, and I was well impressed with the organisation of the event. One little gripe was the amount of gel wrappers thrown on the cycle- this really gets on my nerves, it's not the Tour De France ffs. Also rubs in how many people are ahead :pac:

Next up is Kenmare olympic, must get the bike fixed- that two I've smashed in two weeks now. Anybody got one to lend?? I'll be careful this time :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Nice report MrCreosote, bummer about the derailleur not playing ball today :/

Cheers kingQuez! There will be other days. At least I didn't get thrown!

6km run today- took it nice and easy.

That really is bad luck MrCreosote! Hope you get sorted with a new bike soon...was your own bike covered by insurance?

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear about the bike MrCreosote, thats unlucky indeed. Nice report there. Hopefully you will be back next year.

Thanks guys! My original bike is covered but have to get a load of paperwork into the insurers first.

Nice day today- 14km run, 1hr10, a few gentle hills

Run today- 8k and a bit; 39 mins; threw in a few faster intervals today. Was a little worried with some shin pain from last week but seems to have improved the last few days

Last week summary:
    Swim x2- 1500/1500
    Cycle x2 36km/39 km
    Run x 2 5km/6km

Mountain bike- 60 mins
    Got an offer of a bike for the ROK on Saturday, not sure whether to take or not...

take it!

Yeah take it... or drop by my place and look after my son so I can do it :p

Thanks for the advice guys! I did the ROK and had a great day.

Thursday- 8.5km run; 38 mins
    Friday- there was a 5km funrun in Killarney which I did. A very nice course in the National Park. Probably 400m or so short of 5k. There was a crowd of about 200 doing it on a nice evening. Came in in 19mins. I'm not sure what the winner did, but there were a few serious looking runners there.
    Saturday- Ring of Kerry. I borrowed another bike which remained intact this time! I wasn't sure what to expect with this- I had imagined a mass start and lots of bunches but people go from 6am on. I cycled into town against the stream, set off at 8. Pretty slow going until Killorglin and then it opened up. It was like different stages between each town really which kept it interesting. I was doing it with a friend of my brother's, and we got into a bunch as far as Caherciveen, then cycled on our own until Sneem. Just stunning views out around by Waterville and Caherdaniel- hard to watch the road! After Sneem I got into a bunch of 6 or so working fairly hard, took a bit much out of me for Moll's Gap, but from there we cruised into Killarney. Molls isn't a hard climb normally but any incline is tough at the end of a long day. Timed at 7hrs 26 including stops- great food and drink along the way so we took full advantage. The weather was fantastic apart from a shower at the start and very end- I'd forgotten just how scenic the ring is, and we had the wind behind us when it counted heading back to Kenmare.
    All in all a fantastic event. The numbers of cyclists out was just great to see, and the whole atmosphere was very encouraging. The traffic gave us plenty of room, and the volunteers were great.

Bit sore today so might take a wee rest!

Total-180km (170 on ROK)

Well done on the ROK.. I'm jealous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

well done on ROK , seems to have been a good day !

• Advertisement

Thanks guys- Ring of Kerry was some experience alright. I'd recommend it to anyone really. Plenty of people on mountain bikes, although 170km is a long way on big tyres! Great atmosphere too.

Took Sunday and Monday off afterwards. Today did a 55km run over Gap of Dunloe and Moll's, lovely scenery. 2hrs 10 mins.
    No swims since Kilkee :eek:- must remedy that tomorrow.

Advertisement