Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beggers On the street

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Anyone see the one on Henry St today? Girl, gypsy I'd say, her legs are bent the wrong way, she's on her knees basically, with her shin and foot sticking out in front of her, parallel with the ground, she has crutches too. I'm not going to mince my words, it's disgusting. She needs to be taken off the street and given proper care.

My jaw actually dropped when I seen her. Still can't get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

There's a young fella on Henry St, Dublin most days without shoes or socks, shivering away. Poor chap, right?
    Only thing is, if you're in town at the right time, you see him walk up to his spot, take off his socks and trainers and give them to a companion who toddles off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭Archeron

If people look genuinely in need, I would give money or food. I cant imagine what it would be like to spend the night on the streets and I really hope I never find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

i might put 2 euro in the cup an odd time. i just hate when people lie and say it is for food or something i rather them just say it for can's, heroin ect you get 196 euro a week you could eat like a king for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

nope, never

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

tut i thought the title was "boggers" major disappointment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Nor a bob or a shilling do i give.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭baldbear

podge018 wrote: »
    Anyone see the one on Henry St today? Girl, gypsy I'd say, her legs are bent the wrong way, she's on her knees basically, with her shin and foot sticking out in front of her, parallel with the ground, she has crutches too.

I'v seen a few Romas like that. I reckon they are double jointed and its a trick of the trade. Theres a lad goes around the country called Johnny wrong legs who is at that. He's able to bend his legs at a mad angle, but then you see him walking around normally. Con job maybe?
    That could be his sister Mary wrong legs at Henry St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Kormeera X

would never give them money...sure who knows they could have hundreds in their pockets from passer byers giving them money from days before hand. Another thing i cant stand is them roma gypseys i hate the sight of them! going around with their kids i sick of seeing them all over o connell street. anyone agree with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Never. They are cons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 norica

those romanians rent babies for the day. theres a woman in newbridge that begs in the middle of the road, she takes off her prostetic leg and hides it and then hops around on her 1 leg with a money bucket. theres another guy here who has a bandy leg, he twists it somehow and then puts on an exagerated 'funny' walk to get sympathy. he makes money because people always want to feel good about themselves

oh boy, here we go again! those people were not Romanian but Roma, which is not the same. I've never seen a Romanian dress like that or force his kids to beg on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

norica wrote: »
    oh boy, here we go again! those people were not Romanian but Roma, which is not the same. I've never seen a Romanian dress like that or force his kids to beg on the street.

Very true, the Romanians are lovely and they don't like the Roma either, they must get so sick of being tarred with the same brush.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

No, never. I sometimes give a cigarette to homeless people if I'm drunk enough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Used to give them a couple of quid if I had it but since pay cuts and mortgage increase sure I barely have enough to live on myself, sorry bud.

As for the Roma, wouldn't p1ss on them if they were burning tbh, I don't see the logic in them being here, if begging is their culture then how does it add to or benefit Irish society? Sorry to be brutish about it but don't we have enough spongers of our own to worry about without importing more?

Apologies if I dragged the thread off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

I don't like giving money, because I don't like encouraging begging and you can't tell who spends it on drugs or drink.
    I do occasionally go to mcdonalds or similar to buy something off the euro saver menu like a hamburger and give it to someone. especially in the winter when a warm coffee would be especially appreciated. Makes me feel nice to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

gave some fella 70 cent today and then half way up the road i got thirsty and figured out i needed it more then he did :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Sorry bud would you have
    spare 90cent

for me bus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

SIX PACK wrote: »
    Sorry bud would you have
    spare 90cent

for me bus

its for the bus i swear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

spider_pig wrote: »
    its for the bus i swear

The best are the ones with massive skanger accents saying they need to get the bus home to Portlaoise, or Galway, or Sligo. I'm sure they've got cows aplenty to milk...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Better off to just give them nothing coz if they remember your face. They wil be begging for more, Especially in small towns

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Few months ago I saw a guy begging. I was pretty drunk and was getting cash for a taxi anyway, so I bought him a sandwich... way better IMO than giving cash.

Advertisement