Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beggers On the street

Options
  • 07-04-2009 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

Do you give them change? or keep walking?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I give them pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Depends on my mood but I usually give them >50c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

Usually a couple of Euro in change give or take.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Nope havnt yet. Mainly because im from a town and don't see them much unless im in a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

nope never

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Not a shilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I give it to people performing.I wont give it to people sitting down not bothering their arse.Ireland is a great country and we offer wonderful help to poor people so people sitting down with cups in their hand looking for money really get on my nerves.I know some of them have problems but although I dont know much about the situation im sure they offer counselling of some sort to these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

There are Romanian beggars on the streets of Dundalk all the time. What's the story with them I wonder, do they get social welfare at all or are they depending on charity?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

God no, I never give them anything but a dirty look. Homeless (and not so homeless) people begging do so because it's very lucrative. If they wanted a leg up, a way of getting off the street, there's plenty of charitable organisations who'd be only too happy to help.

But instead, they'd rather prey on people's good nature and/or guilt. If you feel any sympathy for someone begging, the best thing you could do for them is walk on by. If you drop a few pennies, you and other charitable people make living on the street worthwhile. If no-one gave anything, the beggars would have to sort themselves out.

I'll put it another way; who do you think is more capable of administering charitable donations to those that need it - a charity or that woman that walks up and down the same street every day, trying to look frantic?

If you want to help those that need it, donate to those who know who needs it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

Giving to them encourages it, particularly with the romano gypsy crowd, who are pretty much vermin. Three times in the last 12 months ive caught them trying to lift my wallet in Q's for ATM, always just as you get to the machine, one tries to distract you and the others behind you. I don't have any time for these people and they don't contribte anything. gather them up and free flights home for all of them. the whole country is riddled with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

give them money no i have thrown in a sly kick every now and then :p

i lie i lie. Please no high horses galloping in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Ann22 wrote: »
    There are Romanian beggars on the streets of Dundalk all the time. What's the story with them I wonder, do they get social welfare at all or are they depending on charity?

Yeah, the aul one at the post office is awful annoying, if ya dont give her change she gives ya an awful dirty look. Boot in the jaw is what she needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I cut out the middle man and give them heroin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

If you really want to help beggers get off the streets / those in poverty then helping the St Vincent De Paul or other orgs. Dropping an euro into a cup doesn't solve any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Dont really give to beggars,
    I'd give to a busker or street performer if they were good.
    But I do support single moms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

I give them money if they ask and I have it. There's a surprising amount of well-spoken, clean-looking homeless people in Dublin.

To everyone who think they do it on purpose... seriously? You think they sleep out in the streets in the puke/piss-filled, rainy nights intentionally?

You can tell a long-term junkie a mile off, I don't give them money. But it's horrible to tar everyone who needs some change off strangers as junkies or frauds. Some of those charitable organisations have religious angles or criteria that would keep certain people from going, so they like to pay for a hostel, which they do through asking for change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

they can get the dole, if you register as homeless u can get a temp address so u can receive a social welfare payment. if ur alcohol and drug free u can get alot of help to get u back on ur feet. i never give them anything, and the romanians are here to make money, its a racket. then when their time is up they get a free flight back to their country.

alot on the street have substance abuse or mental problems which will cause problems for them if they wanna get into a hostel. they dont know how to look after themselves or budget their money.

ever notice when someone needs a euro for the bus and they get it they are down the street looking for another euro for a bus. if u want some money earn it or get of your ass and sort your self out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

they can get the dole, if you register as homeless u can get a temp address so u can receive a social welfare payment. if ur alcohol and drug free u can get alot of help to get u back on ur feet. i never give them anything, and the romanians are here to make money, its a racket. then when their time is up they get a free flight back to their country.

alot on the street have substance abuse or mental problems which will cause problems for them if they wanna get into a hostel. they dont know how to look after themselves or budget their money.

+1

sometimes i give them change if i can afford to, but as kumate_champ07 says many of them have mental problems and can't look after themselves. It's not widely know, but I have it on good authority, that there is a surplus of beds for the homeless in Dublin.

The problem, from a beggars point of view, the choice is, go into a hostel before 22:00, and maybe you'll lose out on 100Euro on a friday nights begging. It's a downward spiral in many cases.

The one question i alwasy ask myself when i see some young bloke/girl homeless, and kipping in doorways, is, "Don't they have any family?" If I had a brother or sister homeless, i'd do what ever i had to to keep them off the streets, and get them into care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Suzannem

One time I gave this old irish man €10 he was selling Issue magazines in town.
    It was an absolutley freezing cold day and he was wiping his nose with a raggy piece of tissue, you could tell the way he that he stood that he was freezing out there on the street.
    Without thinking twice i gave him a tenner. This was on grafton st and when i walked back down the way i was coming from, i seen him coming out of a shop with a bottle of 7up, i cant tell you how happy i was to do somthing so small, that meant so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭speaktofrank

Suzannem wrote: »
    i seen him coming out of a shop with a bottle of 7up, i cant tell you how happy i was to do somthing so small, that meant so much.

Yeah I wanted a mixer for my nagon of vodka, cheers. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Id normally give buskers a couple of coins. Not the beggers though. They're annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I have them fill out an extensive questionnaire before I give.

I have them fill out an extensive questionnaire before I give.
    do they get to keep the pen? I'd leave em keep it. Nothing worse than a smelly pen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

I give them abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Donkathon

only if they look irish :D

seanybiker wrote: »
    Nothing worse than a smelly pen.

What about a smelly homeless person?

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    I give them abuse.
    I feed them bits of bread. They are like pigeons. I had 5 of them in front of me one day. Not fun when they crap on your shoulder though

What about a smelly homeless person?
    But ya dont put them in your pocket or chew on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

The homeless/beggars in Ireland are terrible beggars.
    You can break them down into 2 groups, those homeless with mental illness and those without.
    The ones without are confusing, as there are always free beds for the homeless in the dry-hostels.
    I've had some turn down fresh, clean, packaged food offered discretely in Dublin.
    The beggars where I live now really, really try hard to get your coins.
    The biggest value coin here is worth about 16 euro cents, and they will do almost anything for it.

I never give money to non-physically disabled beggers, but I will always buy any some food if I see them outside a shop that I'm going into.
    Giving them money, you never know if they will just buy H with it, or where its going.
    Giving them food, you can be pretty sure you know whats going to happen to it.

A heartbreaking example is the kids who beg on the streets. You can never be sure if they're being watched and are part of a gang. You can never be sure that they will give the money to their parents to buy food. You could just be making the whole thing worse.
    When I see kids begging, I try to buy them something like a few Donuts, or something that they will like and definetly eat right on the spot.

If you really care, give up a saturday a month discretely handing out nice food from a closed bag. If you don't have time or if money alone can settle your conscience, please donate money directly to a homeless charity.

• Advertisement

seanybiker wrote: »
    But ya dont put them in your pocket or chew on them.

I dont put them in my pocket, but I do chew on them...

Advertisement