Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beggers On the street

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I dont put them in my pocket, but I do chew on them...
    ha ha ha. Class film.

It doesnt bother me if the person is physically disabled or not. There is some mad yoke here in waterford who wears his fake legs in some mad way. Sometimes they are going straight out in front of him. Kinda walking on his knees with legs bent at knee if ya know what I mean. I think he has overdone it a tad. I think he sometimes has his legs dragging along behind him. Bloody hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Well, once I saw one of them sitting in the rain and felt bad so I bought him a sandwich and tea and what'd he say.

He asked if I could take the sandwich back and just give him the 5 euro for it....never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Back when subway was doing their stamp cards (if you eat 10 times you get 10 stamps on a card and the 11th is free) I would fill up a card and have it in my wallet. Then when I saw a beggar I'd give that instead of money.
    Must say now with the Romas I kinda stopped altogether as I heard they are shipped in to beg for their bosses, not sure if it's true or not but there you go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ever notice when someone needs a euro for the bus and they get it they are down the street looking for another euro for a bus. if u want some money earn it or get of your ass and sort your self out
    people with clean runners asking for a euro for the bus while smoking :mad:

money to charities not beggers

pity we aren't doing anything to help the mentally ill who used to stay in government institutions , the ones who litterly can't manage by themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭Homer

pity we aren't doing anything to help the mentally ill who used to stay in government institutions , the ones who litterly can't manage by themselves

Eh Brian Cowen and his cronies? I presume that's who you are on about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭boardinwork

This has been asked a few times before:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Mary D

I hate beggars, I never give them anything. One day I was walking down Abbey Street, I was talking to mys sister on the phone when this romanian girl with a baby came right up to me and kept saying pleease pleease, I said no and continued walking, she followed me down the street for 5 mins and kept saying pleease pleease, I lost it with her., I couldn't hear what my sister was trying to say.. I ended up sreaming f*ck off, this did the trick. Talk about hasselling ya. Most of them don't speak english so why did they come here, surely they knew they wouldn't be able to work. I HATE THEM ALL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

There are more beggers on the street than usual these days. I used to think it was a case of getting permission from the begging-comission to use a particular street during peak hours, but now appears now that you can just set-up shop where=ever you like and go into business. It's total madness!

On the plus-side it does give me the consumer greater choice and improved beggar competition for my spare change.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭dollybird09

I usually give them a dirty look for thinking they can talk to me and then stroll on by...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Karlusss wrote: »
    I give them money if they ask and I have it. There's a surprising amount of well-spoken, clean-looking homeless people in Dublin.

To everyone who think they do it on purpose... seriously? You think they sleep out in the streets in the puke/piss-filled, rainy nights intentionally?

How do you know that well dressed person asking you for change at 12pm in the day is going to be sleeping rough that night? Some of them will be but most are just fraudsters. Beggars tend to fall into two categories: the professional fraudsters who will make several hundred euro a day by tugging on the gullibles' heartstrings and the homeless who will probably make a few single euro if they're lucky. Do everyone a favour and give your money to a homeless charity instead of whatever randomer comes up to you in the street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

There’s a guy on Henry St. I normally give a quid to. He has something wrong with his legs so he’s on crutches. His beggar shtick is that he has a football which he does keepy-uppys with using the crutches. He knocks the ball way up into the air, kills the momentum with a nice cushioned header then tips it up a few times on the crutches. He’s pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Beggars should be expected to do a nice trick or play an instrument. That way the talented ones get to live.

Ciaran B wrote: »
    There’s a guy on Henry St. I normally give a quid to. He has something wrong with his legs so he’s on crutches. His beggar shtick is that he has a football which he does keepy-uppys with using the crutches. He knocks the ball way up into the air, kills the momentum with a nice cushioned header then tips it up a few times on the crutches. He’s pretty good.

I've seen him, but whats wrong with his legs? He stands fine while he's moving the two crutches at the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Suzannem

Yeah I wanted a mixer for my nagon of vodka, cheers. :D

haha! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭irish_ninja

tie em up and ship em out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭SaintHubbins

I hate Romanian beggars as well. I'm always on my guard when I see them around. Begging should result in instant deportation - might make them think twice about coming over here then. We have enough of our own problems in the country now without have to look after them bastards. I personally recommend giving them a burger or a sandwich laced with a fatal dose of poison!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Duff wrote: »
    Yeah, the aul one at the post office is awful annoying, if ya dont give her change she gives ya an awful dirty look. Boot in the jaw is what she needs.

I know! I hate walking past her, she always stares at you, mumbling under her breath. I started giving her about 50c or so the odd time 'cos I was so embarrassed walking past...I shouldn't have though, 'cos I think she remembers me and expects something every time, she always has a handful of €2s, no way would I give her that much:o. I always give to flag sellers or whoever else is there though so I don't feel so awkward walking past her. Today I put money in the box of a flag seller only to realise I was after buying an Easter lily...something to do with Irish patriots was written on the box. What does that go to? Is it something to do with Ira prisoners or something? Sh*t....I gave to murderers to avoid giving to an old gypsy woman...she probably put the evil eye on me:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Roma beggers? Not a chance

From time to time i will give homeless people money who i know are indeed really homeless i.e people sleeping rough at night time on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

corkhero wrote: »
    Do you give them change? or keep walking?
    Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk,
    I'm a woman's man, no time to talk.(Or give out change)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

I would never ever give to a Romanian Gypsy beggar! As one time, my friend went to his pockets to give this one in Cork a bit of change, realised he only had a fifty, said sorry no change. She started shouting at us, going on about her baby going hungry and followed us for a good 10mins. She was also on a bridge where you had to pass her!!

I would give a homeless Irish person who doesnt smell of drink, or have empty drink cans near them, a bit of change or some food. Using this policy they have always been grateful and it makes you feel good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Suzannem

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk,
    I'm a woman's man, no time to talk.(Or give out change)

so yer not helpin them 'stayin alive'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Cian92 wrote: »

I would give a homeless Irish person who doesnt smell of drink, or have empty drink cans near them, a bit of change or some food. Using this policy they have always been grateful and it makes you feel good.

i think that generally people just want to feel good about themselves rather than help. how many people will actually talk to these people on the street?

those romanians rent babies for the day. theres a woman in newbridge that begs in the middle of the road, she takes off her prostetic leg and hides it and then hops around on her 1 leg with a money bucket. theres another guy here who has a bandy leg, he twists it somehow and then puts on an exagerated 'funny' walk to get sympathy. he makes money because people always want to feel good about themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

nope half of them are on the streets cos their own fault...not all of them of course

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭3 Dollar Bill

Most beggars that I walk by are Eastern Europeans, It is very hard to tell if they are in genuine need of help. For that I reason I don't even bother do look at them anymore, I just plough on by.

If people feel compelled to give beggars a few pound then so be it, but I'd rather give my spare change to a reputable charitable organisation such as Focus Ireland who I know will put the money to good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

The Romanian beggers are unreal. One time my bf bought me a flower from one and before he gave her the money he asked her how much. She said a 5er (which I said was too much but he wanted to be nice) so he gave her a tenner and we were standing there waiting for the change and she just put the money away.

We asked her where's the change and she said what are you talking about? No money no money or some such crap. NEVER again will i buy or give money to them.

Kimia wrote: »
    The Romanian beggers are unreal. One time my bf bought me a flower from one and before he gave her the money he asked her how much. She said a 5er (which I said was too much but he wanted to be nice) so he gave her a tenner and we were standing there waiting for the change and she just put the money away.

We asked her where's the change and she said what are you talking about? No money no money or some such crap. NEVER again will i buy or give money to them.

As yes those Romanians selling flowers in Pubs and outside Nightclubs! They're great for ripping the piss out of them. I'll take two please....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Lynskey

The most annoying "beggars" are the ones wearing Nike Air shoes and an adidas tracksuit.....pretty obvious you're not poor when you're wearing brand clothes and its clear you've just eaten

Lynskey wrote: »
    The most annoying "beggars" are the ones wearing Nike Air shoes and an adidas tracksuit.....pretty obvious you're not poor when you're wearing brand clothes and its clear you've just eaten

They're called junkies :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Lynskey

When people ask me if i have any spare change, i tell them i have it at home in my spare wallet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Kimia wrote: »

Fcuk sake! What a chancer! I especially hate seeing the kids begging:mad:. A few xmas eves ago I remember seeing a wee Romanian boy on his knees trying to sing Jingle Bells (didn't know any of the words) with a cheap little toy keyboard outside the Tsb bank. He wasn't wearing a coat, just a shabby little jumper and it was freezing cold, windy with sleet. I can't imagine how miserable he must've felt. What kind of numbskulls of ass fcukin' holes must his parents be to make him do that??????! I should've called the guards, I heard it on the radio since, that if children are begging in the streets that it should be reported. It's annoyed me ever since that I didn't.

Advertisement