Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random/General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,076 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Apparently some weird noises were heard in the skies in various parts of the City last evening, as mentioned by WLRFM.com

Anyone get strange vibes?

Just watching that GOD video - is this a very amusing parody? It feels like it.

edit - yes Bill is a piss artist. More power to him.

yea i heard it, i suspect it could have been a meteorite exploding over our atmosphere, or possibly a sonic boom from an aircraft

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    yea i heard it, i suspect it could have been a meteorite exploding over our atmosphere, or possibly a sonic boom from an aircraft

after looking back at radar playback, the usual sub sonic aircraft were in our airspace last night, but i suspect it may have been non identified military aircraft

• Registered Users Posts: 38,167 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

this storm deff light up the place (no pun intended) :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

County news but no one goes in that forum really.

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/07/13/man-found-after-getting-lost-in-portlaw-woods/
    Gardaí from the Tramore District responded to a call about a man who went missing while walking in Portlaw woods yesterday.

Four friends were out walking in the woods when one became separated from the group. Concerned for the individual, who is not from the area, the men called the Gardaí. Upon arrival at the location, Gardaí carried out an extensive search.

Thankfully, the individual was found an hour later in good health. It is believed the man had stopped to look at something, got confused and ended up walking in a different direction to his friends.

Rumours that circulated locally of human remains being found in Portlaw Woods were unfounded and incorrect, Gardaí confirmed.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭obi604

I am not a local :) I was at the tesco beside TK maxx yesterday. pulled in to tesco car park and notice its pay parking, checked a couple of the machines and they seemed to be actually taped up. didn't want to get stung so just left.
    Do you have to pay for parking in this tesco car park?

• Advertisement

obi604 wrote: »
    I am not a local :) I was at the tesco beside TK maxx yesterday. pulled in to tesco car park and notice its pay parking, checked a couple of the machines and they seemed to be actually taped up. didn't want to get stung so just left.
    Do you have to pay for parking in this tesco car park?

those machines were put in there a couple of years ago, i use to park in there a lot myself for free prior to the installation, thought they were now active. i now park across the road in millers marsh. the warden use to roam around in tesco a lot, taking car details, i have seen cars clamped in there, but rarely

those machines were put in there a couple of years ago, i use to park in there a lot myself for free prior to the installation, thought they were now active. i now park across the road in millers marsh. the warden use to roam around in tesco a lot, taking car details, i have seen cars clamped in there, but rarely

Is millers marsh equal to the car park nearest tk maxx. Is this a ‘pay’ car park also?

Is millers marsh equal to the car park nearest tk maxx. Is this a ‘pay’ car park also?

yea it is, its only euro an hour, or 3.60 for the day. the private car park under the tk maxx building is suppose to have really good rates to

yea it is, its only euro an hour, or 3.60 for the day. the private car park under the tk maxx building is suppose to have really good rates to

Thanks. Does MillarS March take credit card?

Thanks. Does MillarS March take credit card?

millers marsh is a public car park, as far as im aware, it only takes coins, via a meter, but i could be wrong. id imagine the underground car park probably takes credit cards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,167 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Does Waterford actually have any 5 star hotels ?

millers marsh is a public car park, as far as im aware, it only takes coins, via a meter, but i could be wrong. id imagine the underground car park probably takes credit cards

I can confirm millers marsh takes credit card. So handy.

Had a double check in Tesco, looks like all the machines in there all have the coin slot taped up. They just don’t seem to be operational.

obi604 wrote:
    Had a double check in Tesco, looks like all the machines in there all have the coin slot taped up. They just don’t seem to be operational.

That's very unusual, was sure they were operational, sure there can't be issues with people parking there for free I guess, maybe it's a covid issue or something

• PTH2009 wrote: »
    Does Waterford actually have any 5 star hotels ?

Cliff House in Ardmore.

There's also a 5* B&B down around Dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

There's been no charge for parking in poleberry tesco since March.
    Waterford castle not a 5 star at one point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Had to take a trip down to the hospital from Dungarvan, I noticed that on the outer ring road you can now use the second lane for going straight on, is this new? The reason I ask is because on the way home at several of the roundabouts there were long queues in the left lane and the right lanes was empty.
    Was great for me, went straight through.

On a related topic, there use to be a thread on here about the 60km/hr speed limit. When it was changed to 80 somebody predicted that there would be a dramatic increase in accidents and deaths on this road, did that ever materialise?
    The few times I’ve been on it over the years never even come close to seeing an accident.

Yes, the right lane is now also for "straight ahead" which personally I don't like as I don't trust other drivers to know not to turn/cut across traffic from the left hand lane!

The 60/80 kph change has made no difference to crashes as far as I know.

Yes, the right lane is now also for "straight ahead" which personally I don't like as I don't trust other drivers to know not to turn/cut across traffic from the left hand lane!

The 60/80 kph change has made no difference to crashes as far as I know.

i think it works very well, just take your time moving around people, i was cheekily doing it before the relabeling anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭curmudgeonly

[QUOTE=Harry Palmr;114070705]Yes, the right lane is now also for "straight ahead" which personally I don't like as I don't trust other drivers to know not to turn/cut across traffic from the left hand lane!

The 60/80 kph change has made no difference to crashes as far as I know.[/QUOTE]

Can I add that this is correct but not to stay in the passing lane until the next roundabout,!!!! you must pull into the left lane when leaving the roundabout unless you are passing a slower vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

• Advertisement

And how can they prove it's origins - paperwork? analysis?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

And how can they prove it's origins - paperwork? analysis?

They should have export details for the barley they sent abroad, and paperwork from the malting plant which followed the grain through the processes, back to its export on board for Waterford.

If they cannot show this then the origin is seriously in doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭azimuth17

I understand the issue has been solved although I don't get it. Grain has been imported into Waterford for centuries. What's so different now at a time when we have EU membership. If this was Holland and Germany it would simply cross the border in trucks. Farmers amaze me. they closed down Albatros Fertilisers in New Ross by importing cheaper fertiliser from other countries. Eitehr we have free treade or we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

azimuth17 wrote: »
    I understand the issue has been solved although I don't get it. Grain has been imported into Waterford for centuries. What's so different now at a time when we have EU membership. If this was Holland and Germany it would simply cross the border in trucks. Farmers amaze me. they closed down Albatros Fertilisers in New Ross by importing cheaper fertiliser from other countries. Eitehr we have free treade or we don't.

As I understand it, if you wish to fully designate your product as 'Irish' then the main ingredients need to be Irish, and not from elsewhere.
    There is a huge push to have Irish food (and drink) products fully Irish and thus able to charge a premium price.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭azimuth17

As I understand it, if you wish to fully designate your product as 'Irish' then the main ingredients need to be Irish, and not from elsewhere.
    There is a huge push to have Irish food (and drink) products fully Irish and thus able to charge a premium price.

Thank you, that makes sense.

whats the craic with the fire service in woodies car park today?

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Can I add that this is correct but not to stay in the passing lane until the next roundabout,!!!! you must pull into the left lane when leaving the roundabout unless you are passing a slower vehicle.
    As long as you are traveling at the speed limit you can use any lane,this is a ring road not a motorway.Just out of curiosity do yo hold a full or learner license

As long as you are traveling at the speed limit you can use any lane,this is a ring road not a motorway.Just out of curiosity do yo hold a full or learner license

Yes for all of categories for longer than you are alive probably all of which I did a test for , your contention above is just selfish and ignorant of other road users and incorrect as to the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

The rules of the road state you should only use lane 3 (the overtaking lane)if traffic in lane 1 and 2 is moving in queues and you need to overtake to make room for merging traffic.If you see 3 lanes or merging traffic on the ring road may i suggest specsavers.

• Advertisement

The rules of the road state you should only use lane 3 (the overtaking lane)if traffic in lane 1 and 2 is moving in queues and you need to overtake to make room for merging traffic.If you see 3 lanes or merging traffic on the ring road may i suggest specsavers.

Stop digging Giles, the ORR is a two lane carriageway. see quote from the Irish rules of the road below.

NOTE: According to Irish road traffic legislation, you must move back to the left lane following an overtake. Remaining in the overtake lane on the right will land you with one penalty point and a €60 fine.

I suggest Specsavers is not for you ,its a mindset problem.

Advertisement