Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random/General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Max Powers wrote: »
    Think it was something to do with south Sudan solidarity....serious.

No, my mistake, the south Sudan one was on the mall when I heard it, have to agree with previous posters description of them. Article on wlr site has their demand list as long as your arm

Put them all on a plane and send them back to Sudan to protest! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ah right they've decided to wait until the weather turns cold.

The whole Yellow Vest thing is comical, you know whoever is wearing one which not part of their work (and it'll probably be company branded) is a tosser.

comical, i think not!

https://twitter.com/Bellingdawg/status/1084489303881928710

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭dzilla

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Irish Yellow Vests er, "Waterford Branch" were marching through the city yesterday; not wholly sure why they chose, or were allowed to go through, City Square Shopping Centre!

Chanting and marching through it and then stopped in middle to do a bit more shouting and preaching......

Seen them. Had a good chuckle at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Ah yes cos Syria and Ireland are just the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MsGiggles

So it is February - When will the year get better !!! Happy Tuesday folks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Can you believe the idiotic proposal from councillors recommending the govt provide alcohol tests to public, HARD TO CREDIT but cha O'Neill doubled down on it by saying DUI checks could harm the economy....sure wasn't he stopped on the way to a gaa match....just to confirm we are in February, not early April.

Just reading the roadside art thread on AH, I think we need something striking on Sallypark and maybe a groovy modernist structure on the bypass at Arc Labs exit.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057969238

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Looks like the quite fella has finally gone i wonder who he''ll come back as.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Anyone heard anything about someone moving into the old Chick King/Kebabarama premises? Or Beefy King as it’s still known by some. I see David Flynn shopfitters starting something there this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,167 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

JohnC. wrote: »
    Anyone heard anything about someone moving into the old Chick King/Kebabarama premises? Or Beefy King as it’s still known by some. I see David Flynn shopfitters starting something there this morning.

Not sure rumours a while ago was Hilbillys were moving down there ??

Another discount store or coffee place more than likely

• Advertisement

Helicopter flying low around the area

Hope everything is ok. Unusual for something like that going around this late

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Vladi_

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Helicopter flying low around the area

Hope everything is ok. Unusual for something like that going around this late

Going on for quite a while now. Scary.

Hey Waterford people. I just want to congratulate you on a most excellent county and a most excellent city.

Just back from a few days there- The Viking triangle, the copper coast, the pubs the restaurants the craft shops, the greenway, the old train, the beaches and activities, - my only disappointment is that Waterford Distillery doesn't have a visitors centre and that Henry Downes couldn't give me a bottle of No 9 to take away with me.

It's a fantastic county- you should be proud- I'll be back! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Well lads,

Corkman moved down to Waterford, looking for a game of ball. Working weekends so unfortunately rules out the 11-a-side (unless there's someone plays their matches midweek evenings?).

Six-a-side would do grand, just looking for something to give me a bit of a run and get to know a few people down here. Sound!

The harvest festival takes place this weekend in the city

Always a decent weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Does anyone remember approximately what year the old Arundel Square buildings were demolished to make way for City Square? I don't mean the beginning of building work, as there was a delay in between for archaeology.

1988/89 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I know this is fairly random, but I see some town in Monaghan got one of those reverse vending machines. The first in the country apparently.

What I'm wondering is, what is to stop people hoarding their plastic bottles and then bringing in a trolley load of them to the machine to cash in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I know this is fairly random, but I see some town in Monaghan got one of those reverse vending machines. The first in the country apparently.

What I'm wondering is, what is to stop people hoarding their plastic bottles and then bringing in a trolley load of them to the machine to cash in.

I expect nothing ..... but I was surprised at the amount of credit issued per bottle.
    Also, when using recycle bins from home, the bottle caps have to be removed and the bottles cleaned out ...... but the bottle caps seemed to be present on the bottles inserted into that machine, and presumable the bottles were not cleaned.

Seems odd .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I expect nothing ..... but I was surprised at the amount of credit issued per bottle.
    Also, when using recycle bins from home, the bottle caps have to be removed and the bottles cleaned out ...... but the bottle caps seemed to be present on the bottles inserted into that machine, and presumable the bottles were not cleaned.

Seems odd .....

Yea me too actually, I was thinking something like half a cent or 1 cent, but wow 10 cents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Aceso

Isn't that the whole point though? Encouraging recycling, the more, the better?

At 10c a pop it's never going to be viable, the cost of making a bottle is tiny, probably a couple of cents at most.

At 10c a pop it's never going to be viable, the cost of making a bottle is tiny, probably a couple of cents at most.

the plastics market is a mess, it looks like we only recycle a very small percentage of it, we may need to start considering a slow banning of them, and an introduction of alternatives

Well in the old days soft drinks can mainly in cans now it's pretty rare - but the cans are much easier to recycle with a very ready market. Glass makes little sense as the nature of the product means they are often drunk "on the go" and collectively we now drink far more of the stuff than say 30-40 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Flow Motion

Going slightly off topic but does anyone else think Coke (or indeed any soft drink) tastes better out of can as opposed to a plastic bottle??
    Or maybe its just my rose tinted memories of the an early 80's childhood : can of coke, pack of taytos a skinny dairy milk!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭dzilla

Going slightly off topic but does anyone else think Coke (or indeed any soft drink) tastes better out of can as opposed to a plastic bottle??

Defo

Yes, there's something about the plastic which kills the edge as it absorbs the fizz agent, also it cannot hold the cold like a steel/aluminum can and that's the key to something like Coke or Tab (as we're talking cans!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I see the bishop is at it again, this time, he has an issue with yoga and mindfulness, you would think he would have better things to be worrying about. If I was into religion, id be telling this lad to shut up, he is doing more harm than good and any time he seems to have a public voice he says stuff that drives people further and further away from taking any notice of him or the rest of em.as it happens, I'm not not into religion and its almost entertaining to hear this fella banging nails into its coffin.
    See news and star for more

Max Powers wrote: »
    I see the bishop is at it again, this time, he has an issue with yoga and mindfulness, you would think he would have better things to be worrying about. If I was into religion, id be telling this lad to shut up, he is doing more harm than good and any time he seems to have a public voice he says stuff that drives people further and further away from taking any notice of him or the rest of em.as it happens, I'm not not into religion and its almost entertaining to hear this fella banging nails into its coffin.
    See news and star for more

the church better pull its socks up, if it wants to survive in the modern world, its kinna disturbing to hear some of the comments made by some members of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Ohh holy god ! ye heathens speaking out about poor Fonzy.zc7jiRt.gif

Advertisement