Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De Facto Relationships Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

sj82 wrote: »
    hey guys
    I haven't been on this in a while basically because I couldn't post much info to help anyone .However we just got a letter saying our application was received and finally got approval for a stamp four in the post on monday the 18th ,exactly four months since we got the letter saying application had been received which is similar waiting time to another post on here .its the best christmas present we could have asked for! I didn't think our case was too complicated but apparently applying when we did delayed our application as the immigration department take their annual leave in august which slows down processing. Good news is applications are down 25% on last year also so hopefully quicker processing time for all. anyways if there is any questions, what we sent in etc that I can answer I'll do my best. I pretty much followed the layout of another user on this forum and it seems to work! best of luck to everyone

Cheers for the info! Did ye make any further contact with the INIS after submitting your applicaton, e.g., follow-up letter, extra documentation, etc.? Just coming up on three months ourselves and getting a little anxious now with herself's student visa extension coming to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Riat

Hi all,I want to know wheather INIS will be replying query posted by registered post ,as my sister wrote letter and posted her visa query by registered post,it been one month no reply ,she is trying to call them no response,is anybody posted query and got reply by post,please let me know,thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sj82

I'm very sorry for the delay...we weren't asked for any further documentation while we waited but we did send up some welcome to new house cards we received as we moved house and pictures and plane ticket stubbs from a trip to paris we took and to be fair they sent us another letter saying that they had received all this too.It took exactly four months and 10 days to get a visa granted. We did make an appointment to meet our local politicians who made contact with immigratation on our behalf just asking as to how long we would be waiting as we were starting to feel the strain with my partner not being able to work. We just received the same reply from government agencies saying applications are processed as received and nothing can be done to speed it up but maybe it kept our case in peoples heads because we were sending a good few emails . The biggest thing seemed to be health insurance even when we got granted the visa we still had to show proof again that we had it and hadn't cancelled it since we applied.
    hope this helps best of luck

I'm very sorry for the delay...we weren't asked for any further documentation while we waited but we did send up some welcome to new house cards we received as we moved house and pictures and plane ticket stubbs from a trip to paris we took and to be fair they sent us another letter saying that they had received all this too.It took exactly four months and 10 days to get a visa granted. We did make an appointment to meet our local politicians who made contact with immigratation on our behalf just asking as to how long we would be waiting as we were starting to feel the strain with my partner not being able to work. We just received the same reply from government agencies saying applications are processed as received and nothing can be done to speed it up but maybe it kept our case in peoples heads because we were sending a good few emails . The biggest thing seemed to be health insurance even when we got granted the visa we still had to show proof again that we had it and hadn't cancelled it since we applied.
    hope this helps best of luck

I usually sent a query by email rather than post and always received a reply,however when I did send something by post i did get a response but it could be two months or more depending how detailed the query was. If your sister sent it my registered post she should have a receipt and be able to check if it actually arrived in burgh quay in the first place? I would also try emailing them instead of ringing you will get a quicker response. I'm afraid it often is just a waiting game , frustrating I know.

• Advertisement

I usually sent a query by email rather than post and always received a reply,however when I did send something by post i did get a response but it could be two months or more depending how detailed the query was. If your sister sent it my registered post she should have a receipt and be able to check if it actually arrived in burgh quay in the first place? I would also try emailing them instead of ringing you will get a quicker response. I'm afraid it often is just a waiting game , frustrating I know.

Hi,

My sister send student query related to her visa by registered post and I didn't get reply from them since from two month,is anybody got query reply by post when submitted them,hope to hear from you guys soon.I need to go to garda to do my renewal .

Thankyou

• Registered Users Posts: 9 chelsey2a

Hello! My partner and I are due to renew our de facto visa this Wednesday. Has anyone here renewed their visa? Just curious as to what the protocol is, if any. As far as I know we just both go with our passports and pay the fee.

Hi there
    we had to bring in our original letter when we first got granted the defacto visa and pay 300 euro, we had brought our health insurance as we needed that first time round but we weren't asked for it. Its all very quick and painless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 chelsey2a

Hi there
    we had to bring in our original letter when we first got granted the defacto visa and pay 300 euro, we had brought our health insurance as we needed that first time round but we weren't asked for it. Its all very quick and painless

Ok great! I heard that I would have to bring In proof of address but I receive all my bills online so that presents a bit of a problem. I arranged for my bank to send my bank statement in the mail so I would have something with my address but it has yet to arrive...

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭FalconXV

Hi there

Painless on your wallet though! €300 for a one year stamp is exorbitant. You are supposed to bring proof of address. It's probably more important for student visas. My Gard doesn't ask for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SantaBaby

Hi Y'all,

I know that last person posted that their application took 4 months in 2013. Mailed my application in on Monday and received the letter today, Thursday, with confirmation and my application number, etc. I was wondering if anyone had any more recent feedback on how long processing is taking this year?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 vbIE

SantaBaby wrote: »
    Hi Y'all,

I know that last person posted that their application took 4 months in 2013. Mailed my application in on Monday and received the letter today, Thursday, with confirmation and my application number, etc. I was wondering if anyone had any more recent feedback on how long processing is taking this year?

Thanks!

Hi Guys,

I am from Argentina and I applied to the De facto relationship with an Irish partner in 29th of november 2013 and I have not yet got an answer about my application.

Two weeks ago I called them and they said that they were analyzing the applications of the end of octuber, so, I belive that by the end of april they will be analyzing my application.

So, the application is taking at least 5 months... It is so frustrating.

I also have a question about the fee of 300 euros of the visa. I read that "In recognition of the circumstances of certain categories of person,
    there
    are specific exemptions from paying the registration fee set out in the
    regulations; these are the following: -

· UN Convention Refugees;
    · Family members of such refugees who have been admitted to the State
    in accordance with section 18 of the Refugee Act 1996;
    · Persons who are under 18 years of age at the time of registration;
    · Spouses, civil partners, widows and widowers of Irish citizens;
    · Spouses and Dependants of EU nationals who receive a residence
    permit
    under EU Directive 38/04;
    · Programme Refugees, as defined by section 24 of the Refugee Act,
    1996;
    · Persons subject to arrangements for victims of human trafficking."

Based on this, I believe that we dont have to pay the fee to get the Stamp 4.

A friend of mine also told me that we do not have to pay this fee, but sometimes the staffs in the immigration dont know about this rule and charge us the fee. However, if you question them about it they wont charge you.

Does someone know somethinga about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭perfectblue

vbIE wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I am from Argentina and I applied to the De facto relationship with an Irish partner in 29th of november 2013 and I have not yet got an answer about my application.

Two weeks ago I called them and they said that they were analyzing the applications of the end of octuber, so, I belive that by the end of april they will be analyzing my application.

So, the application is taking at least 5 months... It is so frustrating.

I also have a question about the fee of 300 euros of the visa. I read that "In recognition of the circumstances of certain categories of person,
    there
    are specific exemptions from paying the registration fee set out in the
    regulations; these are the following: -

· UN Convention Refugees;
    · Family members of such refugees who have been admitted to the State
    in accordance with section 18 of the Refugee Act 1996;
    · Persons who are under 18 years of age at the time of registration;
    · Spouses, civil partners, widows and widowers of Irish citizens;
    · Spouses and Dependants of EU nationals who receive a residence
    permit
    under EU Directive 38/04;
    · Programme Refugees, as defined by section 24 of the Refugee Act,
    1996;
    · Persons subject to arrangements for victims of human trafficking."

Based on this, I believe that we dont have to pay the fee to get the Stamp 4.

A friend of mine also told me that we do not have to pay this fee, but sometimes the staffs in the immigration dont know about this rule and charge us the fee. However, if you question them about it they wont charge you.

Does someone know somethinga about it?

The de facto permission doesn't give you civil partner or spousal status - that is a different visa. But, I'm due for my renewal in May (and getting married in August), so will inquire!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 balabala

hi, I have a question , for example this July 2014 I get the stamp 4 for the first time based on the relationship with my Irish partner for 1 year, then July 2015 we are still together then I renew my stamp4 to July 2016, than what happened in July 2016, some people said I will get 3 years stamp 4 until July 2019, what happened if we broken up during 2016-2019? am I losing stamp 4 become no visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kathryn27

Hello, I have a few questions about applying for De Facto status if anyone has the time to answer!

1. My boyfriend and I started seeing each other in January 2012, but we did not move in together until August 2012. Therefore, at this point, we have only lived together for one year and nine months. Do you think this will be okay? Does anyone have experience with cohabitation of less than two years?

2. If anyone who has applied is American, what service did you use to get police clearance? Is an online background check from my state okay? Or do I need to go through the finger printing FBI process?

3. I am currently in Ireland under a student visa. To get that, I had to get finger printed by the Garda. Does this do anything for my police clearance or is it a separate issue?

4. Did anyone deliver the packet in person or should it be by mail?

5. Approximately how long does it take to get your response? I know the website says it can take up to six months but it seems like some people have gotten it back much sooner than that. I am hoping to be working in Ireland starting in September 2014. I am worried about the decision taking six months and then getting denied. This would mean I would not have any time to apply for the Working Holiday Visa. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Thank you very very much!
    Kathryn

Hi all,my Defacto visa is approved thanks all here for help :) after 9 months I receive decision on it finally

• Registered Users Posts: 11 annabanana922

Riat wrote: »
    Hi all,my Defacto visa is approved thanks all here for help :) after 9 months I receive decision on it finally

Hi Riat! Congratulations on getting your visa approved, it must be A big relief! I have been waiting since November, did they ask you for any additional information during the nine months or contact you atal?

Thanks!

Hi Riat! Congratulations on getting your visa approved, it must be A big relief! I have been waiting since November, did they ask you for any additional information during the nine months or contact you atal?

Thanks!

Congrats Riat, I thought I read you received your stamp 4 some months ago, am I wrong?.

Annabanana922, I also applied on november 2013 and I didnt get an answer yet. Its been very stressfull because I am not allowed to work and I had to refuse some job opportunities. However, I believe that now I am close to receive an answer.

I have called the INIS office some thursdays to ask them how long i still have to wait. They use to say that it can take 6 months but they always say the week they are analysing the last week of octuber and the first/second week of november...

If you want you can call them. They just answer on Thursdays, the number is 01- 6167700 , Option 3 then Option 5, they will just answer the 5 after 5 minutes, so be patient.

Good luck to us.

• Advertisement

Congrats Riat, I thought I read you received your stamp 4 some months ago, am I wrong?.

Annabanana922, I also applied on november 2013 and I didnt get an answer yet. Its been very stressfull because I am not allowed to work and I had to refuse some job opportunities. However, I believe that now I am close to receive an answer.

I have called the INIS office some thursdays to ask them how long i still have to wait. They use to say that it can take 6 months but they always say the week they are analysing the last week of octuber and the first/second week of november...

If you want you can call them. They just answer on Thursdays, the number is 01- 6167700 , Option 3 then Option 5, they will just answer the 5 after 5 minutes, so be patient.

Good luck to us.

Thanks so much for your reply! I missed the phone line today, I thought they had shut it down! What week are they saying now when you ring them? It's so annoying how long it take and the possibility that they will just refuse it after six months!!

Thanks!

Yeah big relief,I applied my defacto in October 2013 then I got reply from them after 2 weeks to send additional information and after 6 weeks I got temporary stamp 4 and decision was due by April 20,2014 and final decision I got on 29/04/2014 as decision is approved ,they didn't contact me after November 2013 and I wrote them email last week about process.

Good luck to us.

Yes I receive temporary stamp 4 last year in November 2013 and decision for defacto was due by April 20,2014 and finally got decision from them ,yeah they take 6 months to process whole process,good luck

Riat wrote: »
    Yeah big relief,I applied my defacto in October 2013 then I got reply from them after 2 weeks to send additional information and after 6 weeks I got temporary stamp 4 and decision was due by April 20,2014 and final decision I got on 29/04/2014 as decision is approved ,they didn't contact me after November 2013 and I wrote them email last week about process.

Thanks for your reply! How did you get the temporary stamp? Thanks!

Thanks for your reply! How did you get the temporary stamp? Thanks!

It is stamp 4 but overall process was not completed so I said temporary stamp 4 for 6 months.

Thanks so much for your reply! I missed the phone line today, I thought they had shut it down! What week are they saying now when you ring them? It's so annoying how long it take and the possibility that they will just refuse it after six months!!

If u sent all the correct documents I dont think that they will refuse it after all, but if you are worried or if they do refuse it I have a contact of an INIS expert that used to work there and that can help you in your application. However he will charge a fee and because you already waited 5 months I believe that we should wait at least this last month before go for it.

When I called them 2 weeks ago, they told me that it would take 3 weeks to get an answer from them. I also called them yesterday and they told me that they were looking the applications received in the first and second week of november. They always tell me something different an illogical, it looks like that they are never making any progress. For this reason I think that the person who answere me is not really aware of what is happening there.

kathryn27 wrote: »
    Hello, I have a few questions about applying for De Facto status if anyone has the time to answer!

1. My boyfriend and I started seeing each other in January 2012, but we did not move in together until August 2012. Therefore, at this point, we have only lived together for one year and nine months. Do you think this will be okay? Does anyone have experience with cohabitation of less than two years?

2. If anyone who has applied is American, what service did you use to get police clearance? Is an online background check from my state okay? Or do I need to go through the finger printing FBI process?

3. I am currently in Ireland under a student visa. To get that, I had to get finger printed by the Garda. Does this do anything for my police clearance or is it a separate issue?

4. Did anyone deliver the packet in person or should it be by mail?

5. Approximately how long does it take to get your response? I know the website says it can take up to six months but it seems like some people have gotten it back much sooner than that. I am hoping to be working in Ireland starting in September 2014. I am worried about the decision taking six months and then getting denied. This would mean I would not have any time to apply for the Working Holiday Visa. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Thank you very very much!
    Kathryn

Hi Kathryn,

I am not an expert about it but I i believe that I can say somethings.

1.The INIS says that you can apply just after 2 years of cohabitation, but because the process is taking six months, when they look into your files, you will already have 2 years living together. When you apply give a very good and understandable explaination why you werent living together for the 3 months you need to complete the 2 years.

2. I am not american but I believe that the FBI clearance is the best one because its the represents the hole country but if it take too much time to do you dont have to send it now. Do not forget that while you are waiting their reply you can send more documents. I just sent my Police clearance 4 months after I applied.

3.You dont need police Clearance from Garda and Ireland. Just from the countries you have lived in the last 5 years apart from Ireland.

4.You can deliver by both ways. By registered post, it can cost you about 10 euros and If you go to Garda offices in the City centre they have a box there. In both ways the reply will take no more than 1 week.

5.As I said in other posts, the process is taking too long. I applied in November and I havent got an answer yet. If I knew abaout it I would have sent my doccument much time before we completed the 2 years ccohabitation. So I believe that if you want start in September, you should send them what you have as soon as possible and the documents you dont have you could send later using your personal identification number as they say in the letter you recieve when u apply.

I hope this helped you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kathryn27

Thank you SO MUCH for your reply!

I actually just got back from the post office about an hour ago having sent the application.

I put a few notes into my application saying if they needed more detailed information, a better clearance check etc. they should contact me, so hopefully that is good enough.

I'm sorry you haven't heard back yet... 6 months is so long! I hope you hear back soon and that it's a good result.

I'm thinking I might have to apply for the Holiday Working Visa as well, I don't really want to be waiting around not being able to work =(

Does anyone know if it's a problem if I leave the country for awhile between applying and being approved?

Good luck to everyone!

balabala wrote: »
    hi, I have a question , for example this July 2014 I get the stamp 4 for the first time based on the relationship with my Irish partner for 1 year, then July 2015 we are still together then I renew my stamp4 to July 2016, than what happened in July 2016, some people said I will get 3 years stamp 4 until July 2019, what happened if we broken up during 2016-2019? am I losing stamp 4 become no visa?

Hi balabala,

I Really dont Know if you will get 3 years stamp 4 after renew it for 2 years. Its a good Question. Maybe you should send an Email to INIS asking about it. You dont have to identify yourself and they sometimes reply very fast.

If you broke up with the person you applied for the stamp 4 during these 5 years, you will lose your stamp, however, you will lose it just if you tell them that, they dont check it or send someone to your house to see if you two are together. If you and or partner or ex-partner agree to play as a couple and not tell them they wont be able to know. After you get the citizenship you and your ex will be free. However this is not correct and I am not telling you to do that.

Look what they say in their web site:

"Q- What happens if the relationship ends?
    A- If the relationship ends the permission ends. The permission to be in Ireland is solely based on the committed long term relationship with an Irish National or Irish Resident.

Q- What should I do if the relationship ends?
    A- If the relationship ends you should immediately contact the De Facto Section of INIS. INIS will assess each case on its merits."

I hope this helped you.

• Advertisement

kathryn27 wrote: »
    Thank you SO MUCH for your reply!

I actually just got back from the post office about an hour ago having sent the application.

I put a few notes into my application saying if they needed more detailed information, a better clearance check etc. they should contact me, so hopefully that is good enough.

I'm sorry you haven't heard back yet... 6 months is so long! I hope you hear back soon and that it's a good result.

I'm thinking I might have to apply for the Holiday Working Visa as well, I don't really want to be waiting around not being able to work =(

Does anyone know if it's a problem if I leave the country for awhile between applying and being approved?

Good luck to everyone!

No problem. I am glad you already sent this documents.

I think that if you leave the country for too long is not good but if you have a reason for doing it I cant see a problem. I also dont know how they would be able to check that you left the country if you dont tell them that. Ireland has not ways to check this kind of things like USA have, but if they do you can give them a good reason and they wont be able to say anything. ;-)

Best Luck

Advertisement