Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De Facto Relationships Ireland

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

So my partner was on their last 1G visa and it was set to expire at the end of July. That's why there was such urgency on our part. So he has been in the State for 5 years at this point.

We have our appointment with immigration today but as far as I know it is a stamp 4 that he is being moved over to.

We emailed them once a month from month 7 on.

Is the sponsor in your case Irish? As bad as it sounds, I've heard that non Irish, European passport holder sponsors have to have their case resolved in 6 months or less and so are prioritised. Not sure how true this is but I was in touch with an immigrant council and they confirmed as such. Seems a bit unfair that Europeans are given a better, faster service than Irish nationals.

European law for one and local law for the other I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 user020892

I hope the appointment went well.

My partner is on a Stamp 1 which expires first week of August and I am non-European and on Stamp 1 work permit too. He was recently laid off from work, so he was given six months on his permission to find an alternative. So, he will be changing his status from Stamp 1 to a defacto visa, if it gets approved. We applied in Feb as I mentioned (the same time he was laid off), so we are in a bit of rush to get the dafacto sorted out asap. After the advice from the immigration officer, we decided we will email them by June, to get the status. We emailed them 1 or 2 times in Feb, because the officer also said that we will get our defacto visa in a couple of weeks, but we have stopped since then.

Just an update, we received the decision today and we have been granted the defacto visa. We sent our application on Feb 1, 2023, and received our final decision on 1 Jun 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Good stuff! 1 year or more?

Just until the date my card expires which is less than a year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement