Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De Facto Relationships Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 stonecipher

What happens if you and your partner break up and they are on a defacto visa?

Is there a requirement to notify INIS of the change of circumstances?

What would likely happen to the partner on the defacto then?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Riat

BrianM when u had submitted ur application ,I am submitting again after buying medical insurance ,mean while sorting should I go to renew GNIB

Hi Stonecipher,I think they need to report them about that ,the below link explain your query http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions%20%E2%80%93De%20Facto%20Relationship%20Permission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Tazza_OZ wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

2ND TOPIC: ANYONE WHO HAS GONE TO RENEW / EXTEND THEIR DE FACTO STAMP 4 STATUS - CAN YOU HELP ME WITH WHAT YOU NEEDED TO SHOW DOCUMENTATION WISE TO RENEW PLEASE?

THE APPROVAL LETTER IS VERY VAGUE AS WELL AS THE WEBSITE SAYING "YOUR APPROVAL LETTER GIVES INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO RENEW/EXTEND" WHICH IS BASICALLY A LOOP!!

Thanks!!

We have renewed twice now.

We just needed a copy of the original letter that grants the stamp 4. A proof of address and both person's passports. That's it. (They could also ask for proof of income and health insurance, but we were never asked for this when renewing).

When collecting the GNIB card. I collected my girlfriend's card for her last year, without her, and got her passport stamped. This year we both had to show up to collect it, and she had to give finger prints before receiving the GNIB card and getting passport stamped. Maybe more strict now?

Anyway the price has also gone up from €150 to €300!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mongopat

Regarding De facto visa section have new rult to add police clearance in documents require and seem start at 23th September this year. My g/f entered Ireland on visit visa to visit me 10th Sep.2013 and we do not know before about this, now she need to get police clearance from her country but we need to get fingerprints to submit.

anybody know where can we get fingerprints in Ireland? and anybody apply De facto visa after 23th Sep.2013 have any idea to infrom.

Thank a lot!!!!

• Advertisement

I have done garda vetting here which is equal to police clearance and when I came here police clearance is needed so it is already with me but I didnt submit that as I submitted before 20th September and they asked me to submit some documents with it such as EU1 form and original passports ,I think you can go to her country embassy ask about it so that they may provide police clearance ,hope it may help

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BrainM

Riat wrote: »
    BrianM when u had submitted ur application ,I am submitting again after buying medical insurance ,mean while sorting should I go to renew GNIB

end of May
    :mad: still NOTHING...called today it is the queue!!! looks like i am loosing my job as i am not allowed to work once my current visa will expire

Did you wrote email to this id eutreatyrights@justice.ie,they helped me regarding my application I got back my application information in two weeks time ,it waste of calling last Thursday I called they said me to send email to this id and gave no information,I got email from them my application is send back due to following documents needed and I will submit in next week,did u kept medical insurance in your application,why cant you ask employer work permit if you have chance to ask it,my gnib is expired I am staying based upon this process and I have job offer to take from November dont know still what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mongopat

I have done garda vetting here which is equal to police clearance and when I came here police clearance is needed so it is already with me but I didnt submit that as I submitted before 20th September and they asked me to submit some documents with it such as EU1 form and original passports ,I think you can go to her country embassy ask about it so that they may provide police clearance ,hope it may help

Thanks alot!!!:) Riat for you quick reply, my g/f is Thai and seem have only Thai consulate office in Dublin who have informed when my g/f called that they cannot issue fingerprints have to go to Thai embassy in London that not help as she entered Ireland with single entry and need visa to England which cold not back to Ireland, sound have only back to Thailand just for get police clearance even she just came to Ireland 30 days her visit visa will be expire on about 6th Dec.2013.

We already went to gada office here in our live area but seem not really want to help!!!!!:(:(

My g/f she would like to apply with out police clearance, so we would like to know anybody already apply De facto visa after 23th Sep.2013 with out police clearance and what going on???

Did you wrote email to this id eutreatyrights@justice.ie,they helped me regarding my application I got back my application information in two weeks time ,it waste of calling last Thursday I called they said me to send email to this id and gave no information,I got email from them my application is send back due to following documents needed and I will submit in next week,did u kept medical insurance in your application,why cant you ask employer work permit if you have chance to ask it,my gnib is expired I am staying based upon this process and I have job offer to take from November dont know still what happens

Hi Riat,
    thanks for the email address I will email them straight away. I thought that i will apply for de facto rather then for work permit as you cannot change your job once you got work if company sponsored you. I applied with medical insurance that was provided by my employer
    When did you apply?

• Advertisement

Hi BrainM
    I apply on September 20th this year and I need to reapply again with few documents

• Registered Users Posts: 20 alianoelle

Tazza_OZ wrote: »
    2ND TOPIC: ANYONE WHO HAS GONE TO RENEW / EXTEND THEIR DE FACTO STAMP 4 STATUS - CAN YOU HELP ME WITH WHAT YOU NEEDED TO SHOW DOCUMENTATION WISE TO RENEW PLEASE?

THE APPROVAL LETTER IS VERY VAGUE AS WELL AS THE WEBSITE SAYING "YOUR APPROVAL LETTER GIVES INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO RENEW/EXTEND" WHICH IS BASICALLY A LOOP!!

I'm hoping to not have to go into the GNIB office more than once if we need more documentation to support the renewal/extension which why I'm hoping somebody else out there has gone through the renewal process recently and can share their experience and what was asked documentation wise...?

Thanks!!

I was into Burgh Quay today to collect my Stamp 4. All told, I waited nearly 4 hours. We got there at 7:30 am (they stop giving out tickets for the day around 10am). We waited about an hour to get a ticket, about an hour and a half to have the interview, and nearly 2 hours for fingerprinting and processing. I asked about the renewal process and they said that both of us just need to come back down in a year with passports and official mail to prove that we still live together. They said the minimum time for renewal was 2 weeks before the permit expires. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Quatro24

Hi All,

I have read through most of the posts dated years back however I cannot see anything about applying whilst out of the country - I may be wrong & apologies if I am repeating issues already discussed.

Long story short I am in a same sex relationship (2 females)
    I am an Irish citizen and my girlfriend is Australian.
    We currently reside in Australia but do plan on moving to Ireland to settle.

Is it possible to apply for defacto whilst we are both still in Australia?
    I have previously been told that if we move to Ireland we need enough funds to support my gf for 1 year & that she cannot work for that full year.
    Surely this is not the only way?
    If that is the case we will not be able to return to Ireland for a very long time :-(

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Quatro24 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have read through most of the posts dated years back however I cannot see anything about applying whilst out of the country - I may be wrong & apologies if I am repeating issues already discussed.

I have previously been told that if we move to Ireland we need enough funds to support my gf for 1 year & that she cannot work for that full year.
    If that is the case we will not be able to return to Ireland for a very long time :-(

i am not sure if you can do it outside ireland. i believe at least one of you have to be here. but you better call them and ask directly.
    also there is no information how much money you should have of course the more the better.
    but it is not the rule but I believe they want to see that you are not going to be leaching the system and will work
    as they told me that you can wait for the decision outside the country so if for example you are here and she works there then you will need to show her financial statement from over there.
    anyway I'd advise to contact them severs times to gather this info. As funnily enough sometimes dif people there give different information.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 alianoelle

Technically you must be residing in Ireland when you apply. I would agree with the poster above that if you can find someone official to say that it's ok, than go for it, but I don't think that you will. You would still need an Irish address for INIS to pose any follow up questions to. Also, once my stamp 4 was approved, the letter I received said that I needed to go immediately to GNIB for registration, and that any delay might jeopardize my standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 redcliff

Quatro24 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Quatro
    You def need to be both in the country when applying and remain in the state for the duration of the application. Myself (Irish) and my Taiwanese fiance applied last february, In july we received a letter asking for updated bank statements, by that time however we were both working in London for the summer to make an extra bit of cash, (she has a 2-year working visa for U.K) We were honest and told them we were living together in London until the visa gets approved and showed our bank statements from there along with my irish account and her taiwan bank account to prove we had sufficient funds.
    Anyway, they replied (quicker than i ever thought they could) saying our application had been "deemed inactive" because she did not remain in the state for the 12 months process time and that she must return on a 90 day visitor visa, reapply and wait up to a further 12 months for approval. The system here defies logic. Any other country, you apply for a visa before entry.

And yes that is they way Im afraid, You will need to support her or she must have enough funds to support herself. Some people have been approved quickly though so there may be hope.
    Good luck with it :)

Finally again I submitted my defacto application ,first time they send me whole documents with letter stating to send EU 1 form and send original passports with that ,I never read here anyone sending orginal passports and Eu1 form,is anybody asked to send EU1 form and original passports ,this time I got chance to keep medical insurance which I didnt kept before ,hope to hear from you all,thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Finally again I submitted my defacto application ,first time they send me whole documents with letter stating to send EU 1 form and send original passports with that ,I never read here anyone sending orginal passports and Eu1 form,is anybody asked to send EU1 form and original passports ,this time I got chance to keep medical insurance which I didnt kept before ,hope to hear from you all,thank you
    Form EU1 states that you have to submit original documents unless otherwise stated, so that is what you should do. Just make sure you send by registered post.

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Q.3[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica] When can I get my passport / other documents back?

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]A[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica] Documents will normally be returned by Registered Post within one month of receipt, however, it may occasionally be necessary to retain some documents until such time as the application is finalised. Please note that any documents submitted may be subject to verification. If you require a passport or national identity card to be returned for the purpose of travelling, please enclose a written request with your application, or send same to: EU Treaty Rights Section, Irish Naturalisation & Immigration Service, 13-14 Burgh Quay, Dublin 2.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Back to top[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Q.4[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica] [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Can I get permission to remain while my application is being processed?[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]A Subject to consideration of your initial application and the documents received, you may be provided with an immigration stamp in your passport which is valid for the period of the application process only, i.e. a maximum of 6 months. Where insufficient documents have been received with the initial application, this temporary permission may not be issued until required documents have been received.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/EU Treaty Rights FAQs#Q.3__When_can_I_get_my_passport_/_other_documents_back?
    [/FONT]

Believe it or not you are in a better position than quite a lot of others as your are exercising EU Treaty Rights. Either way you will just have to submit what they ask you to, so you should submit your original passport & any other documentation that they have asked you for by registered post.

Thank you ,I did registered post and I will wait and see how it works

Thank you ,I did registered post and I will wait and see how it works
    Good, hopefully this won't be for too long.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭FalconXV

I don't have problems with police clearance. The UK and Australia do it for people applying for visas. The difficult thing for the Gards here is the rule that you have to be in the state.
    alianoelle wrote: »
    I was into Burgh Quay today to collect my Stamp 4. All told, I waited nearly 4 hours. We got there at 7:30 am (they stop giving out tickets for the day around 10am). We waited about an hour to get a ticket, about an hour and a half to have the interview, and nearly 2 hours for fingerprinting and processing. I asked about the renewal process and they said that both of us just need to come back down in a year with passports and official mail to prove that we still live together. They said the minimum time for renewal was 2 weeks before the permit expires. Hope that helps.

I have done mine a week before but that's not in Dublin. My immi gard isn't full time and is much more laid back. They have put the wrong dates in my passport stamp before so I asked for a new card so the airports don't pull me over!
    Anyway, they replied (quicker than i ever thought they could) saying our application had been "deemed inactive" because she did not remain in the state for the 12 months process time and that she must return on a 90 day visitor visa, reapply and wait up to a further 12 months for approval. The system here defies logic. Any other country, you apply for a visa before entry.

Technically it's not a visa. It's a leave to remain. To remain you have to be here. When I applied I only handed up passports copies as I don't need a visitor visa. Really they should give out a stamp 3 for longer then 90 days as it can take longer then 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭FalconXV

Got my confirmation letter within a week.
    " If the application is successful the Applicant will receive a permission letter form INIS. Then the Applicant AND the Sponsor will be required to attend at their local Registration Office to register the Applicant as resident in the State on the basis of being the partner of an Irish National or an Irish Resident. Details in respect of registration and renewal of registration will be provided in correspondence issued by the De Facto Section".

- 300 euro on a bank card or a postal order from An Post in case they don't have a chip and pin device.
    - Proof of address. It says that but my Gard knows me well enough and doesn't ask for it.
    - First time go in with your partner. It looks good for the immigration people as you do get to know them if you stay for the long haul. Talk to them as normal as through all the steps of the process it's a personal decision. They won't reject you but there is a good chance they might have to help for other things during your stay. On renewal she didn't have to come.
    - They take your prints. It's not a big deal it just matches the details on the card to cover them and yourself.
    - Passport obviously.

do you know during what period you should come with the letter to get the stamp. my partner travels a lot for business.
    it might be around 10 working days sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭perfectblue

BrainM wrote: »
    do you know during what period you should come with the letter to get the stamp. my partner travels a lot for business.
    it might be around 10 working days sometimes

We took 2 weeks to get to Burgh Quay for my GNIB card. It was fine, but know that the card is dated with the approval date on the letter, not the date you go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭perfectblue

redcliff wrote: »
    The system here defies logic. Any other country, you apply for a visa before entry.

I just want to clarify this - there is technically no such thing in Ireland as a "de fact relationship visa". We use this shorthand here, and I guess it's a bit misleading. INIS is clear (and always has been) that this is "permission to remain in State". Which clearly states, I think, that you have to already be here to apply for and be approved for it.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/De%20Facto%20Relationships

I also want to point out there is a recent change in the application for those who have not yet (or only recently have) applied:

"For applications received on or after Monday 23rd September 2013, in order to assess whether the couple is in a genuine long-term relationship, it will be necessary for the couple to provide dated documentary evidence of cohabitation for at least the preceding 2 years immediately prior to the date of application. Partners who are not living together at the time of the Application will be required to give compelling reasons for this."

They have much more detailed guidelines now since when I applied in April.

We took 2 weeks to get to Burgh Quay for my GNIB card. It was fine, but know that the card is dated with the approval date on the letter, not the date you go in.

thank you!

Hi all,

I finally received confirmation letter from INIS today after 4 weeks of application submitted with EU from and they mentioned the following

"On presentation of the following documents,your local immigration office may provide you with stamp 4 endorsement in your passport that is valid for the period of your application and it is expiring on 20/05/2014.

This stamp will enable you to enter or remain in employment for this period"

still decision is pending hope is approved April 20/04/2014 ,hope it work out later also.

I thank you all of you here for help :)
    Best wishes for all :)

Hi all,

I finally received confirmation letter from INIS today after 4 weeks of application submitted with EU from and they mentioned the following

"On presentation of the following documents,your local immigration office may provide you with stamp 4 endorsement in your passport that is valid for the period of your application and it is expiring on 20/05/2014.

This stamp will enable you to enter or remain in employment for this period"

still decision is pending hope is approved April 20/04/2014 ,hope it work out later also.

I thank you all of you here for help :)
    Best wishes for all :)
    That's great news & a big step in the right direction - congratulations!

Thanks !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 sj82

hey guys
    I haven't been on this in a while basically because I couldn't post much info to help anyone .However we just got a letter saying our application was received and finally got approval for a stamp four in the post on monday the 18th ,exactly four months since we got the letter saying application had been received which is similar waiting time to another post on here .its the best christmas present we could have asked for! I didn't think our case was too complicated but apparently applying when we did delayed our application as the immigration department take their annual leave in august which slows down processing. Good news is applications are down 25% on last year also so hopefully quicker processing time for all. anyways if there is any questions, what we sent in etc that I can answer I'll do my best. I pretty much followed the layout of another user on this forum and it seems to work! best of luck to everyone

Advertisement