Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skanger Culture

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭book smarts

Give the rabble bread and circuses, as the Romans said- or drink and football nowadays. Anyone working class who doesn't aspire to better themselves and their children- and by better themselves I mean educate and refine, not get rich, is a scumbag.

Oh yeah, and scumbags opinions don't really matter either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

The less money someone has, the more they go on holidays. The Irish seem to think it's their God-given right to go on a holiday at least once a year.
    Oh that's right I forgot, only the rich are allowed to broaden the mind. :rolleyes:

Edit: In defence of skangers/scumbags: You know what you're getting. They don't hide behind armani suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I stand corrected.
    Also, Chavs/knackers/skangers are not all scumbags, the same way not all scumbags are Chavs. I've experienced some pretty ****ty things done by so called middle/upper class pillars of the community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I agree with the OP in that the skanger culture is not unique to Ireland. It just has a different style and look in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

LouOB wrote: »
    Scum, skanger, knacker, deviant - interchangable

"Deviant" tends to connote sexual deviancy, you weirdo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Karlusss wrote: »
    "Deviant" tends to connote sexual deviancy, you weirdo.
    Infraction given.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

marcsignal wrote: »
    "Skanger Culture" ???

that's a contradiction in terms surely ??

No, culture means any set of behavioural patterns.

It can mean urban culture, educational culture, tolerant culture, D4 culture, islamic culture, agri culture, western culture, skanger culture, even bacterial culture! ie bacteria that follows a pattern of behaviour distinctive to that type of bacteria!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

No, culture means any set of behavioural patterns.

It can mean urban culture, educational culture, tolerant culture, D4 culture, islamic culture, agri culture, western culture, skanger culture, even bacterial culture! ie bacteria that follows a pattern of behaviour distinctive to that type of bacteria!:)

No, thats incorrect. Culture is very hard if not impossible to define, but is not as reductionist as what you are saying.
    Something along the lines of a set of values, traditions, customs and language etc. common to a certain group of people would be more accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

If we're not willing to put them all on an island, which we're not (I know this for a FACT!!), then why complain...? Either do it or stfu!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Highsider wrote: »
    A skanger to me can come from anywhere and any walk of life. Half the people in Rialto for instance are skangers as are half of the people who work in the banks. It's all about how they respect the law and how they respect other human beings.

Half? What made you arrive at that figure? :rolleyes:

How does one decide good banker / bad banker?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

go to france ule sse scum germany, italy even switzerland and off course england, unfortunatly there like a potato blite that have found there way into every town in ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

There's definitely "skangers" in New Zealand although they are not called that and they don't seem to have a defined term for it. It tends to be people more marginalised by society, both Maori and what they call "europeans" or white boy racers (who tend towards skinheadness, especially in Christchurch).

There are also a lot of gangs here and they really are the scum of the earth. There's lots of gang shootings or gang affiliated voilence. To me, skangers are failry harmless - they're just anti-social and don't contribute to the community or society. Gang members are proper scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Wel laaaaaaaaaaad:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

i hate when scangers judge me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Derek B

Here in Sydney the term bogan is usually used for white trash types, generally mullet donning and typically inbred looking with missing teeth. Lots of the rougher elements are middle eastern, the Lebanese have a pretty bad rep here and from what I've seen it's not overly unjust. I suppose one of the good things about here is that dodgy areas are mostly quite a distance outside the city, so you dont really get gangs of young scum hanging round the city centre causing trouble (with exceptions obviously). Most of the inner city suburbs are decent enough (with a few exceptions like redfern and waterloo), and there aren't really any high rise flat blocks like in europe

pierrot wrote: »
    No, thats incorrect. Culture is very hard if not impossible to define, but is not as reductionist as what you are saying.
    Something along the lines of a set of values, traditions, customs and language etc. common to a certain group of people would be more accurate.

I think you may have misunderstood me, as you basically just reiterated what I said:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

the women folks love the skanger look for some reason ( comfortable clothes... you know... cotton bottoms, some random un-matching jumper, well worn tennis shoes )

no respect for a fella whos shirt alone is worth more then all her get-up...

Grrrrr. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

S.I.R wrote: »
    the women folks love the skanger look for some reason ( comfortable clothes... you know... cotton bottoms, some random un-matching jumper, well worn tennis shoes )

Maybe if you wore something else with the shirt, it might help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Mainly because spending so much on a shirt so its worth more then everything theyre wearing is pretty ghey:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

go to france ule sse scum germany, italy even switzerland and off course england, unfortunatly there like a potato blite that have found there way into every town in ireland...
    Yeah. We should put them all in one town. Some place where all the spongers live together.
    That'll work.

• Advertisement

Yea. Whats that all about girls?

Advertisement