Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skanger Culture

Options
  • 03-04-2009 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭

Or what ever you want to call it - I am sick to death of guys on here harping on about this as if it is an Irish phenomena.

Have these people traveled at all - News flash for the deaf dumb and blind those little ****s are everywhere.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Where else have you seen them TKO?
    Except for chavs and neds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

T-K-O wrote: »
    News flash for the deaf dumb and blind those little ****s are everywhere.

How do they get the money to travel so much ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,634 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The Liverpool version used to be called 'Skallys'. Love that.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Who ? I'm asking the question, do the people who this culture is unique to Ireland - Have they traveled ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Have them here in Munich as well, not as much though. They all seem to be Turkish or wannabe Turkish for some reason.

• Advertisement

Magnus wrote: »
    Where else have you seen them TKO?
    Except for chavs and neds.

Well they are chameleon mother ****ers you gotta watch out for them.

I've seen there cousins all over Europe, South and North America. Not some much in Asia as most people are in the same situation

KTRIC wrote: »
    Have them here in Munich as well, not as much though. They all seem to be Turkish or wannabe Turkish for some reason.

Correct - I would blame the Turks for infecting Holland and Belgium (from what Ive seen).

Not saying those countries do not have home grown talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

The creation of an underclass culture is part of your own culture. Effectively they are the by product of the other parts of the culture. You can't have one without the other as it effects the other. The odds are loaded against you depending on what family you are brought up in.

If all you take from it is your personal opinions are formed by your exposure to influences consider what skangers are exposed to versus what you were.

Correct - I would blame the Turks for infecting Holland and Belgium (from what Ive seen).

Not saying those countries do not have home grown talent.

Racist.

Can we blame the Poles for here so? :p

Our Irish national scum are actually wonderful men & women you see. Have the courtesy to spit at us, inject themselves in public, smell like a meadow, look like young versions of Demi Moore & Mel Gibson and have excellent diction. Us Irish are just perfect aren't we OP?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

To answer the OP, yes there is scum everywhere. I agree, some people on boards and in the wider public seem to think its just an Irish phenomenon, its not. In fact, we get away quite light here.

Someone else mentioned exposure to influences. I can guarantee that most respectable, law abiding and morally aware citizens of this country had equally as harsh a life as any scumbag on the streets. I know I did, and I didnt turn out to be a law-flouting, knife wielding junkie! You choose your own behaviour. I'll say that again, you choose your own behaviour.

• Advertisement

Racist.

Can we blame the Poles for here so? :p

Our Irish national scum are actually wonderful men & women you see. Have the courtesy to spit at us, inject themselves in public, smell like a meadow, look like young versions of Demi Moore & Mel Gibson and have excellent diction. Us Irish are just perfect aren't we OP?

Racist ? My arse !

Racist ? My arse !

;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

the title of this thread is somewhat of an oxymoron, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

We prefer the term "sham". Get with it OP :rolleyes:

Kiera wrote: »
    We prefer the term "sham". Get with it OP :rolleyes:

You and your mates ? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

You and your mates ? :P
    Yes. Have you not seen my location?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭UnderpantsGnome

The less money someone has, the more they go on holidays. The Irish seem to think it's their God-given right to go on a holiday at least once a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

The are all over the French riviera too, in supposedly upscale places like Cannes, Nice and Monaco.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

This highlights a few questions I have been pondering on:

Is there a difference between a chav & a skanger. Is one Irish and other other english. Chav's seem to wear all designer (fake?) stuff, whereas our skangers live in tracksuits & hoodies etc. If they are different, is there an Irish chav, would they be the D4 people. Is chav an across the Irish Sea phenomena?

Anyone any thoughts on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I think they are essentially the same, but the uniforms are different. Chavs, ned's, scallys, shams, skangers, If you compare them, their similarities far outweigh their differences.
    Chav actually stands for "Council House Vermin"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I think they are essentially the same, but the uniforms are different. Chavs, ned's, scallys, shams, skangers, If you compare them, their similarities far outweigh their differences.

thanks for that, so true the uniforms are different, but essentially the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Where's the "A"?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

;):p
    Thin line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

IMO scum is an attitude not a social class
    Though more scum do occupy the lower classes of society
    There are plently of scum that are in higher classes

They all do not have the same uniform

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

LouOB wrote: »

Good point.

Witness the skangery stuff done by middle class students in the Galway and Limerick rag weeks.

The reason they do it is the same for both 'classes' though. ie Society tolerates it.

Trinny. wrote: »
    Thin line.

Ah Terry

You could smell the sarcasm & un-seriousness from that whole post ;)

Kiera wrote: »
    Yes. Have you not seen my location?

I'd be more concerned about the "you are my Larsson" line :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Not that its tolerated - its the fact that their parents didnt know any better either. So they were never taught social graces (or manners as us normal folk say)

Why try to educate people on social graces when they were not brought up with any?

Its like trying to teach a cat to walk on two legs
    Its unatural for them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

KTRIC wrote: »

Belgium and France have them, they seem orientated towards North African origin.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

LouOB wrote: »

Agreed, scumminess is about attitudes and behaviours. But I hate this notion of "class". What if everyone was respectful and earnest, how would you define what "class" you belonged to? I think "class" is just a way to segregate people by money. I'm a culchie and proud!

Advertisement