Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Ah sure at least I have a job"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Cathy666

If you have the dream car and the dream house at 23 years of age, lets hope you manage to keep your dream job, because if your employer decides to piss off to Poland you will add your big mortgage and your big car loan to the already large pile of toxic debt.

I don't have a car loan. I saved up and bought it. As for Poland, I can't see that happening. There's no market for it our work over there. Most countries that would have a market for it, are already well catered for. Thanks for your concern though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Cathy666

Dudess wrote: »
    Ah there's no need to piss on her parade Fred. She seems to have her head screwed on. Fair play to you Cathy! :)

Thanks Dudess :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Senna wrote: »
    During the "celtic tiger":rolleyes: i didn´t go running to the boss every year for a pay rise, i didn´t indebt myself to try and accommodate a swanky lifestyle, i just worked hard. Now that the **** has hit the fan i still have a job and a few other that worked with me are all gone (redundent). They´re on the dole, yes because the economy when down the crapper but also because they were greedy.
    Nearly everyone recently on the dole can say its because of the economy, but plenty could look back at the choices they made. I know a few mates who would leave a job for a slightly better paying job every few years, regardless of how good and stable the current employer was. Last in, first out and all that.
    Bar a miracle, I'll be on the dole in May and I never did anything stupid with my money during the boom - saved, wasn't into expensive cars, clothes, shoes, handbags - all that sh1te... plenty of people who WEREN'T idiots are being punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Currently cold calling what can only be described as british bastards to try and get them to switch from their current telephone company to the biggest telephone provider in the UK isn't anyones idea of the dream job. Used to be just college dropouts here, but the mmount of people i see in their late 30's/40's coming out of what would be deemed "good", well paid jobs, to sit in training and then go on the phones is crazy.

Days I get unbelievably fúcked off talking to difficult people for hours on end and getting nowhere. I feel like packing it in. Then I look around me and realise there's slim to no chance of me getting employment anywhere else.

Am I lukcy? Some days I find it very hard to believe. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

yes

'lucky to have a job'

and

'lucky to still have a job'

are totally different things.

it's the use of the former I get annoyed with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

lol, I apologize for being grateful.
    it really is one of my worst qualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Fcuk off.Redundancy for me :(.And not here long so no redundancy payment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Everyone where I work was put on a 3 day week. Everyone that is except me and other staff like engineers. I was really looking forward to the 3 day week but now I have to take on twice as much work to pick up the slack. Damned skills holding me back from a life of leisure. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

If you have the dream car and the dream house at 23 years of age, lets hope you manage to keep your dream job, because if your employer decides to piss off to Poland you will add your big mortgage and your big car loan to the already large pile of toxic debt.

Dream home/car doesn't mean Big car/home which people cannot really afford.

My dream home is in Carlow, it's a 3 bedroom semi detatched house worth €190,000 hardly excessive. My dream car is an Audi A4 (2-3 year old), also hardly excessive...

O.A.P wrote: »
    So going by that if the firm you work for go under its the employees fault
    Depends on what they do (or not), many a good firm has gone under through external problems, some through bad management decisions and some of course because they (management and staff) got it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Anyone sitting on their jobs, waiting for redundancy because of the increased liklihood of getting it in this climate?

It sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Cathy666 wrote: »
    I don't have a car loan. I saved up and bought it. As for Poland, I can't see that happening. There's no market for it our work over there. Most countries that would have a market for it, are already well catered for. Thanks for your concern though.
    Fair play to you then, apologies if I came accross a bit heavy. People like you have the right attitude and touch wood should be OK. It pisses me off (and I have had a rant about this on another forum) when young people buy thamselves a shoebox for €400k and then feel the need to fill said shoebox with brand new plasma TVs in every room, sky with all the trimmings, brand new furniture and a new A3 to park outside. All of which is funded by a 125% mortgage secured on their parent's property. For some reason, these people now want me to feel sorry for them because they have taken a 10% paycut and have no room left on their credit card to pay for 2 weeks in thailand this year so are having to make do with Spain instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Hookers?

No, no. Hookers and coke :D

weemcd wrote: »
    Currently cold calling what can only be described as british bastards to try and get them to switch from their current telephone company to the biggest telephone provider in the UK isn't anyones idea of the dream job. Used to be just college dropouts here, but the mmount of people i see in their late 30's/40's coming out of what would be deemed "good", well paid jobs, to sit in training and then go on the phones is crazy.

Days I get unbelievably fúcked off talking to difficult people for hours on end and getting nowhere. I feel like packing it in. Then I look around me and realise there's slim to no chance of me getting employment anywhere else.

Did you have to say British Bastards, could you not just say Bastards? How would you feel if they were telling people some Irish bastard had been ringing them up trying to flog them an expensive alternative to our current provider (from a foreign call canter i presume)

Did you have to say British Bastards, could you not just say Bastards?

:rolleyes:

now THAT is PC bullshít at it's finest.

SV wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

now THAT is PC bullshít at it's finest.

Why? because I am offended that someone thinks all British people are bastards?

Why? because I am offended that someone thinks all British people are bastards?

how on earth did they say that all British people are bastards?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

weemcd wrote: »

That's exactly how it is with me here at the moment !

how on earth did they say that all British people are bastards?

then why say it? why not jusyt say Bastards?

It implies the those people are bastards for being Britsh, not because they are simply bastards.

If someone where cold calling in Ireland and got treated like ****e they wouldn't feel the need to say "Irish Bastards" so why use British?

The fact those people are British is completely irrelevant to the point made.

It implies the those people are bastards for being Britsh, not because they are simply bastards.

If someone where cold calling in Ireland and got treated like ****e they wouldn't feel the need to say "Irish Bastards" so why use British?

The fact those people are British is completely irrelevant to the point made.
    because they were british.
    jesus fúcking christ.

Would they not? You know everyone Britain do you? None of them would ever feel the need to further their description of someone?

you're one of those people that refuses to call someone black and will much prefer to struggle describing them, aren't you?

• Advertisement

because they were british.
    jesus fúcking christ.

Would they not? You know everyone Britain do you? None of them would ever feel the need to further their description of someone?

I'm sure there are those that would and i would say exactly the same thing to them.
    you're one of those people that refuses to call someone black and will much prefer to struggle describing them, aren't you?

No, in fact most black people i know prefer to be called black, if that bests suits the colour of their skin. However, if they were a bastard, I wouldn't feel the need to call them a black bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'm sure there are those that would and i would say exactly the same thing to them.

No, in fact most black people i know prefer to be called black, if that bests suits the colour of their skin. However, if they were a bastard, I wouldn't feel the need to call them a black bastard.
    Saying british bastard or Black bastard in no way insinuates that they are a bastard because of being British or Black. They are simply adjectives.

Saying british bastard or Black bastard in no way insinuates that they are a bastard because of being British or Black. They are simply adjectives.

so I can say "What can only be described as a Black Bastard" and that is acceptable to you?

If it is, then from this moment I will use the following if that is ok

Dirty Irish Skanger instead of dirty Skanger
    Stupid Irish Bastard instead of Stupid Bastard
    Thieving Irish **** instead of Thieving ****

Presuming of course there is no limit to how many adjectives we can use in one term.

so I can say "What can only be described as a Black Bastard" and that is acceptable to you?

Presuming of course there is no limit to how many adjectives we can use in one term.

Of course it's ok, why on earth wouldn't it be?

Of course it's ok, why on earth wouldn't it be?

OK, if you are happy with that. I'll try it and see how it goes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

That'd be great if you could Fred. You see, because I'm reading I have to conjure a picture in my head with the words you use, so the more descriptive you are, the better and more accurate the picture I can come up with.

It was probably just mentioned because it sets the scene that bit more.

I agree there are times when someone's nationality, skin colour etc don't need to be brought up because they're not relevant, but I know so many people working in call centres here for British companies that get sh1t for being Irish.

It was probably just mentioned because it sets the scene that bit more.

I agree there are times when someone's nationality, skin colour etc don't need to be brought up because they're not relevant, but I know so many people working in call centres here for British companies that get sh1t for being Irish.

what, you mean for being annoying Irish Bastards who ring you up during the football?;)

Or maybe its because those Irish Bastards took our jaaaaabs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

but I know so many people working in call centres here for British companies that get sh1t for being Irish.

get sh|t from whom?

• Advertisement

what, you mean for being annoying Irish Bastards who ring you up during the football?;)
    Actually, it's more the people who work in incoming call centres who get grief - "I'm sick of being put through to a ****ing Irish person every time I phone here" kinda thing - unaware of the fact that the call centre is actually in Ireland.

Advertisement