Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Ah sure at least I have a job"

Options
  • 02-04-2009 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭

This just dawned on me after reading this exact quote in another thread.

It's become your standard employed person's new catchphrase, myself included. I think I used it three times today alone, making idle chit chat with clients on the phone. It's replaced 'shocking weather, isn't it?' and 'are things as chaotic in there as they are in here?' as the default small talk opener, and frankly, sometimes I wonder if I actually mean it.

My job is a bit **** at the best of times. I work 65+ hours a week barely scraping minimum wage and no overtime, have had 7% shaved off the nothing I already make, plus the likely tax hikes next week mean I'd probably be better off on the dole. And the stress of my job makes me physically sick sometimes.

I'm sure this won't win me any new fans, but there ya have it. Anyone else not afraid to say they're not always that grateful, despite the 'current climate'?

And no, I wouldn't rather join the breadline. I'm just saying...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

beks101 wrote: »
    And the stress of my job makes me physically sick sometimes....
    There's your problem. I'd sort that out if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

have had 7% shaved off the nothing I already make

7% of nothing is not a lot really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

K4t wrote: »
    There's your problem. I'd sort that out if I were you.
    ah sure at least he has a job

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MadgeBadge

Given the current climatic conditions I spent most the day saying 'Ahhh, at least I don't have a job'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

some of my unimaginative* colleagues constantly come out with

'aren't I lucky to still have a job?'

Actually luck has nothing do with it.

We were all hired / retained after probation based on our ability to do the job in hand. Those of us who were promoted into our existing roles were chosen because of past performance with the company.

i.e. luck has f*ckall to do with it.

no company chooses its employees by drawing names out of a hat.

*They've never heard of Kraftwerk, The Wire or Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

At least i don't have any stocks and shares, rentable property or a mistress.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

We were all hired / retained after probation based on our ability to do the job in hand. Those of us who were promoted into our existing roles were chosen because of past performance with the company.

So going by that if the firm you work for go under its the employees fault

galwayrush wrote: »
    At least i don't have a mistress.;)
    Ghey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

...or a mistress.;)

Have mistresses depreciated in value too?

Ghey.

Can't afford it.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I started moaning to my friends the other day about my job. Mixed group of employed and unemployed friends. You'd swear I'd just shit on their Christmas dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napapa

I'm with ya OP on the 'at least I have a job' criac....and that pension levy feels like a kick in the balls, next week they're going take our balls...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

My job is a bit **** at the best of times. I work 65+ hours a week barely scraping minimum wage and no overtime, have had 7% shaved off the nothing I already make, plus the likely tax hikes next week mean I'd probably be better off on the dole. And the stress of my job makes me physically sick sometimes.

I'm sure this won't win me any new fans, but there ya have it. Anyone else not afraid to say they're not always that grateful, despite the 'current climate'?

Yeah, the stress of my job is ludicrous... contract up in May - but I'm just glad to be getting out of there.

Well I suppose they mean more that they're lucky the company hasn't gone under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I work 65+ hours a week barely scraping minimum wage and no overtime, have had 7% shaved off the nothing I already make, plus the likely tax hikes next week mean I'd probably be better off on the dole. And the stress of my job makes me physically sick sometimes.

Why oh why do people do jobs like this for almost no money? My brother's girlfriend has a job like that, but she does make €60k+

On the other hand, I have the world's easiest job and make just above €10 per hour. No stress, I can save half my wages and still have enough to live reasonably. That said, I don't have a mortgage, loans or credit cards (learned my lesson from being €25k in debt) and live at home.

Why make yourself sick for the same money?

Can't afford it.:D
    Things must be bad if you can't afford a Polish Irish mistress.

Things must be bad if you can't afford a Polish Irish mistress.

it's all the Government's fault.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Confab wrote: »
    Why oh why do people do jobs like this for almost no money?

'Experience', 'career ladder' and 'at least I have a job'. Basically I'm a walking cliche

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Most of the 173,000 people who lost their jobs this year "were all/ retained after probation based on their ability to do your job". The reason they have lost is due to a downturn in the economy - not because they were all crap at their jobs. Your chances of joining them depends mainly on which industry your working in.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Last Angry Man

This just dawned on me after reading this exact quote in another thread.

It's become your standard employed person's new catchphrase, myself included. I think I used it three times today alone, making idle chit chat with clients on the phone. It's replaced 'shocking weather, isn't it?' and 'are things as chaotic in there as they are in here?' as the default small talk opener, and frankly, sometimes I wonder if I actually mean it.

Do you work for Enterprise Rent A Car? I ask because I used to and that sounds like my old life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 WhiskeyTangoFox

It is bad out there. As my Dad says, Hold your pants tight to your arse as you don't know what sh1t is coming"

Not sure how to take that as he is old and sh1ts his pants a lot :(

• Advertisement

It is bad out there. As my Dad says, Hold your pants tight to your arse as you don't know what sh1t is coming"

Not sure how to take that as he is old and sh1ts his pants a lot :(
    Maybe he's gay?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Confab wrote: »
    (learned my lesson from being €25k in debt)
    Hookers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Cathy666

At 23 years of age, I have my dream job (which pays very well), my dream car and my own house. I don't consider myself 'lucky' to still have a job though. I worked hard at school and college to get where I am today. Whilst spending 40+ hours weekly in college doing a mechanical engineering degree, I also had a part-time job to pay for my college fees. This was in addition to study and projects that I had to do. My first two 'real' jobs were ok, I worked hard, but never really enjoyed them. Now however, I have the job that I always wanted. The same job that enticed me to study mechanical engineering in the first place. I work hard every day and do, on average, 55 hours per week. This is why I have a job. Not due to luck, but due to hard work and dedication. It is very unfortunate that there are so many people facing job losses every day, and I do symapthise with them. In that respect, I am grateful to still be employed.

I think this post hit the nail on the head:
    nlgbbbblth wrote:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Do you work for Enterprise Rent A Car? I ask because I used to and that sounds like my old life!

Have you read Punching In by Alex Frankel? If by some chance you have, was his experience of working for Rent A Car similiar to yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

oddly someone said this to me today, a waster who works for me.

Shame next week he wont be able to say it, another shame he doesnt know it yet.

odd how that works.

How charming of you.
    Cathy666 wrote: »
    At 23 years of age, I have my dream job (which pays very well), my dream car and my own house. I don't consider myself 'lucky' to still have a job though. I worked hard at school and college to get where I am today. Whilst spending 40+ hours weekly in college doing a mechanical engineering degree, I also had a part-time job to pay for my college fees. This was in addition to study and projects that I had to do. My first two 'real' jobs were ok, I worked hard, but never really enjoyed them. Now however, I have the job that I always wanted. The same job that enticed me to study mechanical engineering in the first place. I work hard every day and do, on average, 55 hours per week. This is why I have a job. Not due to luck, but due to hard work and dedication. It is very unfortunate that there are so many people facing job losses every day, and I do symapthise with them. In that respect, I am grateful to still be employed.

But I think that's a misinterpretation of the phrase. Ok, it's not that you're lucky to have got the job in the first place - that was indeed down to the graft you put in (although to be fair, if it's a really great job and lots of others were going for it, there was a little bit of luck involved too)... what the phrase means is "you're lucky to still have a job", that the company hasn't gone under - which I think is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

During the "celtic tiger":rolleyes: i didn´t go running to the boss every year for a pay rise, i didn´t indebt myself to try and accommodate a swanky lifestyle, i just worked hard. Now that the **** has hit the fan i still have a job and a few other that worked with me are all gone (redundent). They´re on the dole, yes because the economy when down the crapper but also because they were greedy.
    Nearly everyone recently on the dole can say its because of the economy, but plenty could look back at the choices they made. I know a few mates who would leave a job for a slightly better paying job every few years, regardless of how good and stable the current employer was. Last in, first out and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Cathy666

Dudess wrote: »
    But I think that's a misinterpretation of the phrase. Ok, it's not that you're lucky to have got the job in the first place - that was indeed down to the graft you put in (although to be fair, if it's a really great job and lots of others were going for it, there was a little bit of luck involved too)... what the phrase means is "you're lucky to still have a job", that the company hasn't gone under - which I think is true.

I can see where you're coming from. Although the reason that the company that I work for hasn't 'gone under', is that we have expanded into new markets. The company I work for deals mainly with rallying, well we used to. Due to downturn in the construction industry, a lot of our previous customers cannot afford to continue rallying, as was evident in the WRC. We have now started working in other types of motorsport. We also have an engineering workshop, so we can manufacture a huge range of custom parts in-house for engineering and medical applications. These are just some examples, you can see what I mean though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Cathy666 wrote: »

If you have the dream car and the dream house at 23 years of age, lets hope you manage to keep your dream job, because if your employer decides to piss off to Poland you will add your big mortgage and your big car loan to the already large pile of toxic debt.

• Advertisement

Ah there's no need to piss on her parade Fred. She seems to have her head screwed on. Fair play to you Cathy! :)

Advertisement