Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would legalising weed slow the economic downturn?

Options
  • 30-03-2009 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭

There's been alot of talk in the US about how legalizing marijuana may reduce the effects of the recession, by creating jobs and taxation etc. Do you think this is a viable idea that could be adopted in Ireland or is it just stoners trying to get everyone else to chillax about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Your nick says upward spiral but I am inclined to believe that a downward spiral is all we would get if this was done. There is many other prohibited items and services that could be legalised and would bring in much more tax.

Knowing our Government if they did legalise pot they would tax it so high that the liberal left-wing hippy stoners who consume it would not be able to afford it on their dole and would still revert to illegal methods of procuring said substances:rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Neverwhere

I agree with the above poster.

Taxes on ciggies are ridiculous to begin with....don't even want to think about what they would do with weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

No, but people wouldn't be as bothered by all the bullsh!t.
    "Recession, Ya, whatever"

except for the paranoid ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

The alcohol companies/pubs/restaurants would lose their minds over the losses of revenue.

IF anything, they should allow people to grow their own in the privacy of their own homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

You see, it's like this,the fookin stoners would just love to have everyone in a state of so called euphoria.

Fookers forget one thing, if everybody was a stoner who would pay for the stoners upkeep??

Fookers need a balanced populace to support them, as they sure as fcuk can contribute nothing themselves.

Go figure;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

You see, it's like this,the fookin stoners would just love to have everyone in a state of so called euphoria.

Fookers forget one thing, if everybody was a stoner who would pay for the stoners upkeep??

Fookers need a balanced populace to support them, as they sure as fcuk can contribute nothing themselves.

Go figure;)
    Barack Obama seems to be doing alright

I reckon there'd be enough jobs lost in the law enforcement area that it would cancel out any jobs that would be created by legalising it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Neverwhere wrote: »
    I agree with the above poster.

Taxes on ciggies are ridiculous to begin with....don't even want to think about what they would do with weed.

Or the price might actually drop because it's not scummers selling it for mad profits. My guess is that there'd be not noticeable change in the final price for users.
    mumhaabu wrote: »
    Your nick says upward spiral but I am inclined to believe that a downward spiral is all we would get if this was done. There is many other prohibited items and services that could be legalised and would bring in much more tax.

Which of those other substances are as safe and natural as marijuana though?

& not all people that occasionally use it are dole mongering layabouts! As with everything, it can be abused though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Where would they smoke ?
    You can't do it indoors because of the smoking ban. You can't do it driving because that's illegal, the weather here is atrocious most of the time.

Would the number of muggings, handbag snatchings go up because scumbags can see who isn't as alert ?

Where would they smoke ?
    You can't do it indoors because of the smoking ban. You can't do it driving because that's illegal, the weather here is atrocious most of the time.

Would the number of muggings, handbag snatchings go up because scumbags can see who isn't as alert ?

It could be used in private premises which people registered as gathering points, maybe. Or in specially designed smoking gardens, which would incorporate other industries into the process, building, design, security etc. It could create a whole microcosm of employment and industry!

As for the mugging, Dave mentioned that law enforcement would have less to do. Your point negates that somewhat =p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Go figure;)

Right on. Who was shovelling charlie up their hooters by the sackload over the last decade? Although they mostly contributed to the mess we're in right now. I'd rather have a beer with a stoner than a coke fiend. And doesn't almost everyone smoke now and again? 'Cept myself of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

They'd smoke where cigarette smokers smoke I'm guessing! If it was legal, that is...

And not all stoners are on the dole! Stereotype much?!

I think if it was legal, government would rape us in tax. It would take it out of the hands of the scummy kind of dealer, and at least you'd know if it was clean or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

There's a lot of generalisations and steriotypes made in this thread... :( Not everyone that smokes weed is a stoner, the same way that not everyone that drinks is an alcoholic.
    mumhaabu wrote: »

Knowing our Government if they did legalise pot they would tax it so high that the liberal left-wing hippy stoners who consume it would not be able to afford it on their dole and would still revert to illegal methods of procuring said substances:rolleyes:.

WTF are you talking about? Not everyone that smokes weed is a hippy or a left wing liberal. It's a steriotype that has been created by people. You are making a generalisation when you say that, and that people on the dole use their money to buy weed. It is true in a lot of cases but not everyone on social welfare uses their money to buy alcohol or drugs.

Go figure;)

Would they? I am sure you know nothing about it what so ever. Educate yourself a little about it before you make rediculous statements. Makes you look bad. ;)
    Dave! wrote: »

I reckon there'd be enough jobs lost in the law enforcement area that it would cancel out any jobs that would be created by legalising it

This is speculation... :)
    Or the price might actually drop because it's not scummers selling it for mad profits. My guess is that there'd be not noticeable change in the final price for users.

Which of those other substances are as safe and natural as marijuana though?

& not all people that occasionally use it are dole mongering layabouts! As with everything, it can be abused though.

If it was made legal you would see the price drop. It would be more available to the public. Like in holland, I think it is about 4 times cheaper, and that is with taxes and all the rest added.
    Where would they smoke ?

Doubt the number of muggings would go up because of that. People would also smoke where they smoke now, at home, if there were coffee shops there could be a special smoking area for this. It would be illegal to smoke in public and that.

It would be a good idea, but criminals might still control a lot of the drugs trade. People would probably take advantage of it, growing more than what would be allowed and selling it without the tax. It would be extremely hard to impliment. The ministers who would be for this would lose a lot of votes from the older generations who are not as liberal when it comes to drugs. It's not an easy thing to do. You know?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

It would probably make everyone to stupid to realise they are being screwed over on a daily basis. So yeah it would solve the economic downturn because everyone would be busy giggling like idiots at the loss of their jobs.

While we are on topic can we legalise prostitution? That would generate great revenue and create jobs and I enjoy it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

There's a lot of generalisations and steriotypes made in this thread... :( Not everyone that smokes weed is a stoner, the same way that not everyone that drinks is an alcoholic.

WTF are you talking about? Not everyone that smokes weed is a hippy or a left wing liberal. It's a steriotype that has been created by people. You are making a generalisation when you say that, and that people on the dole use their money to buy weed. It is true in a lot of cases but not everyone on social welfare uses their money to buy alcohol or drugs.

Would they? I am sure you know nothing about it what so ever. Educate yourself a little about it before you make rediculous statements. Makes you look bad. ;)

This is speculation... :)

If it was made legal you would see the price drop. It would be more available to the public. Like in holland, I think it is about 4 times cheaper, and that is with taxes and all the rest added.

Doubt the number of muggings would go up because of that. People would also smoke where they smoke now, at home, if there were coffee shops there could be a special smoking area for this. It would be illegal to smoke in public and that.

It would be a good idea, but criminals might still control a lot of the drugs trade. People would probably take advantage of it, growing more than what would be allowed and selling it without the tax. It would be extremely hard to impliment. The ministers who would be for this would lose a lot of votes from the older generations who are not as liberal when it comes to drugs. It's not an easy thing to do. You know?

:D No kiddin'!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

how much is an ounce of hash now anyway?

i was led to believe the prices rocketed because no one was bringing it in due to cocaine

can any of my current hemp smoking friends clear this up?

how much is an ounce of hash now anyway?

i was led to believe the prices rocketed because no one was bringing it in due to cocaine

can any of my current hemp smoking friends clear this up?

It a tarp!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭sub-x

Dave! wrote: »

Not at all they could just have them investigate real crime/criminals instead.Theres a money saver right there for the US,releasing non violent drug offenders estimating of over a million plus.

Stereotyping is hilarious in this thread,ever heard of Reefer Madness ??? if not,it was like the 30s version of "When you buy weed your funding the Terrorists",propaganda's still working. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭bandybanter

I totally agree with Tamxavier! It's about time the people of this country got over their uneducated ignorant stereotypes! I am not just referring to general opinions on dope smokers but to other areas of society too.

I for one am not your "stereotypical stoner". I would smoke more than 3or4 times a week yet i am fairly well educated and hold down a very solid respectable job. I do have an active lifestyle aswell! The key is to enjoy in moderation.

I believe that cannabis should be semi-legalised like california. Available to people who are ill and would benefit from the medicinal uses of cannabis! I also believe that it should be available to the general populace but with a card system that allows you limited amounts over a 1 year period.

The cannabis should be taxed with VAT and an extra 5% cannabis Tax! The money raised from this tax would be extremely helpful as regards the current economic situation. It would also take money away from criminals. It would also take normal citizens away from situations involving dangerous drug dealers and the so called route of gateway access to other hard drugs.

The semi legalisation of marijuana would free up valuable resources within the Gardai and the courts. Thus leaving more resources out there to tackle the real drug problems of heroin and cocaine, aswell as tackle the scum drug dealing cartels/gangs who are ruining this country.

Many jobs could be created with the legalisation. Jobs in the healthcare sector with regarding cannabis distribution to patients. Admin jobs regarding the behind the scenes work. A new product for farmers to grow! Hemp is also a very very durable product that can be used in many industrial sectors and aslo has the potential to be used as a green bio renewable fuel.

Compare cannabis to alcohol! no direct deaths from overdose ever recorded! No drunk fuelled brawls on the streets etc. (oh by the way check out "THE STREETS - THE IRONY OF IT ALL" on utube.

People in this country have just been misguided with the education they have received about marijuana.

Enjoy, but in moderation!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Moderation is not what the Irish are known for though, we can't really handle binge drinking so how will we handle hash too?

edit: this doesn't mean I'm against leagising it, we just need to grow up a little first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭bandybanter

I totally agree! It's time we Irish did grow up!

But it doesn't help by using the irish stereotype of "oh sure we are irish how could we possibly control ourselves on drink or any drug for that matter!" Thats just an easy way out for alot of people! Its just sidestepping your individual responsibility to yourself and your society! This current society has got the too much of a detatched attitude regarding a whole lot of things! Its about time we took resonsibility for ourselves and our society and stopped f***in about about!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

The alcohol companies/pubs/restaurants would lose their minds over the losses of revenue.

IF anything, they should allow people to grow their own in the privacy of their own homes.

actually restaurants might do better business, ever heard of the munchies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Ever hear of Carl Sagan?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

i think it would slow just about everything down, except pizza delivery motorbikes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭MisterMonkey

[QUOTE=

QUOTE]

this is untrue, weed in holland is on a par with weed here generally...pricewise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

in holland its about 20 euro for what we call a 50 bag, so less than half the price, of course if you went for different types it could be on par if you get the super strong weed which will cost you more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

As a stoner, I feel that if we could...wait, hold on....what? Is this the thread for....oh man, everybody's looking at me (sound of quickening footsteps, sound of car door slamming, tyres screeching, and plane taking off).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

[QUOTE=

QUOTE]

this is untrue, weed in holland is on a par with weed here generally...pricewise

Hahaha, WTF are you talking about? It is a lot more expensive here, approximately 4 times more expensive. I am also referring to the cheapest indoor weed they sell too. The more expensive stuff over there is a lot more expensive... a LOT.

You obviously don't have a clue...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Yeah, but how would that help the economy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

I totally agree with Tamxavier! It's about time the people of this country got over their uneducated ignorant stereotypes! I am not just referring to general opinions on dope smokers but to other areas of society too.

I for one am not your "stereotypical stoner". I would smoke more than 3or4 times a week yet i am fairly well educated and hold down a very solid respectable job. I do have an active lifestyle aswell! The key is to enjoy in moderation.

I believe that cannabis should be semi-legalised like california. Available to people who are ill and would benefit from the medicinal uses of cannabis! I also believe that it should be available to the general populace but with a card system that allows you limited amounts over a 1 year period.

The cannabis should be taxed with VAT and an extra 5% cannabis Tax! The money raised from this tax would be extremely helpful as regards the current economic situation. It would also take money away from criminals. It would also take normal citizens away from situations involving dangerous drug dealers and the so called route of gateway access to other hard drugs.

The semi legalisation of marijuana would free up valuable resources within the Gardai and the courts. Thus leaving more resources out there to tackle the real drug problems of heroin and cocaine, aswell as tackle the scum drug dealing cartels/gangs who are ruining this country.

Many jobs could be created with the legalisation. Jobs in the healthcare sector with regarding cannabis distribution to patients. Admin jobs regarding the behind the scenes work. A new product for farmers to grow! Hemp is also a very very durable product that can be used in many industrial sectors and aslo has the potential to be used as a green bio renewable fuel.

Compare cannabis to alcohol! no direct deaths from overdose ever recorded! No drunk fuelled brawls on the streets etc. (oh by the way check out "THE STREETS - THE IRONY OF IT ALL" on utube.

People in this country have just been misguided with the education they have received about marijuana.

Naer was there a truer word said. The above post has been pretty much the whole argument FOR Cannabis legalization for the last half a century. And it's still falling on deaf ears.

You can not, ever, neeeeever ever ever ever ever control what people do in the privacy of their own homes. Ever x never³ .

I think for the sake of this thread that it would be useful if people told us whether they are a smoker or not before giving their opinion. We all know the 'ol "don't knock it before you try it" adage.

I am an ex-smoker myself. I smoked cannabis for about 5 years. I quit because of a bad soapbar experience that just sickened me. Literally. The stuff must have been 70% car tyre and 30% horse shit. I still smoke the odd weed jay at parties though, as does EVERYBODY. (When I say "everybody, i don't mean all 6.76Billion people on Earth)

It's funny though, he fact that it's illegal doesn't matter at all regarding the actual sourcing of weed. Does anyone here actually know how easy it is to get cannabis nowadays? Not just soap, but real good weed can be acquired in less than half an hour if you live in a town or city. Even kids can get it. I remember getting it when I was 16. No questions asked. Drug dealers don't ask for ID remember? And it's getting cheaper too. Ain't that neat?

The fact that cannabis has (scientifically proven) medical efficacy and it's still totally illegal in this country is insane. If I was dying of cancer, in pain, hair gone from chemo etc. and I wanted to feel good, I would definately reach for a spliff... if it was legal. Since it's not, in that situation I would squirm in pain and depression until I expire. The only catch is this: smoking it is definately not the way to go if you're trying to cure yourself of something so there'd have to be a few other methods of delivery researched like eating/breathing vapour/injection etc.

It's also insane that hemp production is not embraced here. Environmentally friendly is an understatement.

And I don't need to mention the revenue prospects as we all know that it could would make the country millions. I admit drug tourism would be a problem though.

I think Ireland could do much worse than legalizing cannabis.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement