Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone willing to design company logo for free?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

No doubt the original poster had a number of people approach him already through dm's or similar .. I do believe though a point is being missed and that is that they are just looking to have work done for nothing. Commercial work ... I simply suggested they might offer a barter of their service in return for the logo work.

The point 'looking to have work done for nothing' isn't being missed, I have repeated it in the two posts Ive made in this thread. The thing is there is nothing wrong with it, and the OP isn't screwing anyone out of anything, he's made his proposal, people are free to accept it or not. There was no need for anyone to come on here and bash the OP, just because some of you have a chip on your shoulder because you see someone who was looking to get some work done for free. As I have said, if he wanted to go and pay a graphic designer several hundred quid for a pro job that's up to him, if he wants to get it done by a hobbyist for free that's up to him to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I'm in two minds about it... on the one hand, I know there are penny-pinching chancers out there who just want to take anything and everything they can get for free, whether they can afford to pay or not.
    And on the other hand you have a highly competitive sector, where starting out, you may have to do a lot of thankless and unrewarding work to build experience or a body of work.

Aside from devaluing the industry, I'd be interested in hearing what the pro designers think of doing free commercial work in terms of career progression... the value (or lack of) of having been involved in a real life logo, with a real life client (who, granted, probably doesn't value their brand highly enough to get a pro, so probably aren't going to be fussy about the message)... and the possible referrals/"exposure".

The whole "Think of the exposure!" line is a bit of a running joke at this stage, so I think the negative reaction to free work threads is understandable. Although I don't think the OP was necessarily pitching that particular steamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Pub07 wrote: »
    The point 'looking to have work done for nothing' isn't being missed, I have repeated it in the two posts Ive made in this thread. The thing is there is nothing wrong with it, and the OP isn't screwing anyone out of anything, he's made his proposal, people are free to accept it or not. There was no need for anyone to come on here and bash the OP, just because some of you have a chip on your shoulder because you see someone who was looking to get some work done for free. As I have said, if he wanted to go and pay a graphic designer several hundred quid for a pro job that's up to him, if he wants to get it done by a hobbyist for free that's up to him to.

Looking at this another way

The original poster says they are a sports facility (that to me reads as gym)

A number of us has asked the original poster to give Free Gym membership for a year (or a few months) to the person who creates the logo. I don't see the harm in asking this. Its costing them nothing. Yet the original poster hasn't responded to this ? They want free work but aren't willing to offer free service so to speak ?

Sure its only a student or hobbist and while ye might be happy to do it for free thats great but from someone in business this is a bad business model and generally only leads on to more people saying oh he did it for free sure throw him 2 pints and he'll do you a logo. It can also take a long time to raise yourself up out of this he's cheap scenario ... it leads to taking on too much work to try and get a normal wage.

A logo on the likes of 99 designs will cost 20 quid to throw it on .. and then whatever money on top of that is for the prize (usually 80 - 500 dollars). While I don't fully agree with that type of service at least the winner gets something in return and sure it lets hobbists play and get better and learn with the incentive of being the one that wins the prize. (I know of a school or two that directs their students to these types of competitions)

Here I see someone saying they have no money ... yet having an alternative .. their service which I would value highly and not offering it and just looking for the freebie so it just makes me think that they are lying when they say they have no budget there are alternatives to cold hard cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

forbairt wrote: »
    Here I see someone saying they have no money ... yet having an alternative .. their service which I would value highly and not offering it and just looking for the freebie so it just makes me think that they are lying when they say they have no budget there are alternatives to cold hard cash.

That's the way I see it too.

It's not the same as Jonjoe looking for a logo for a local kids footie club or something (who would have no budget). OP in my opinion, is someone just chancing his arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

and before anyone goes talking about misers ... and not being with the spirit of things ...

I've one charity website I do for free .. which included business cards / flyers .. a content management system. I'm working on another charity organisation website and while I'm taking some money for it they are getting it at a heavily reduced rate.

You'll also see from the majority of my posts that I generally try to help people out whether its on the web forum ... in here .. or over on Irish Webmaster Forum.

I also got into some kinda barter arrangement with a composer before and got the use of his music if I wanted it on my sites ... (he had no budget at the time for his site) and I generally give him a hand with things.

And I'm guessing Baggio... is in the same boat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

So anyway................................

Unfortunately OP I don't have the requisite skills to do anything useable

Perhaps some other kind soul would put something together for you

G'luck

Aside from devaluing the industry, I'd be interested in hearing what the pro designers think of doing free commercial work in terms of career progression... the value (or lack of) of having been involved in a real life logo, with a real life client (who, granted, probably doesn't value their brand highly enough to get a pro, so probably aren't going to be fussy about the message)... and the possible referrals/"exposure".

Hmm.... Interesting point. Personally I would not, and have not worked on any commercial project for free. Although, I'v had plenty of chancers over the years tho'. They were always met with a "sod off". I think a strong portfolio speaks for itself (it's just a matter of working hard on it). As I have said previously, working for your mates or a charity is a totally different kettle of fish.

I have done spec work while I was currently employed by another company (full time employee).

However, now owning a small company (very small:)), I would never do this. It takes up far too much time, and it reminds me of several dogs snapping at the one bone. It's a really great option for a company - all that work to choose from, and they've not even paid a penny. :( Obviously it's a designers choice at the end of the day.

On the other hand, if you are being paid by a company (working full time), and they are trying to land a big client - that's one thing. After all, the designer is getting paid by the company anyway. Plus, you are just following orders.

Dave! wrote: »
    Perhaps some other kind soul would put something together for you

Yeah, and if you have any washing, painting, cooking, decorating, Car fixing, or plumbing that needs to be done don't hesitate to drop us a pm. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭aineolach

I think it's rather cheeky of the OP not to offer anything in return but why bother getting uppity about it? Have a joke or don't post.
    Baggio... wrote: »
    You wouldn't go into a Pizzeria and ask for a free Pizza, why should design or art be any different?

This really doesn't relate to what the OP is doing. To bring it into line it would be like putting up a note on a community notice board requesting somebody cook him a free pizza. What amazes me is all the "pizza chefs" seeing this notice and getting uppity about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

aineolach wrote: »
    This really doesn't relate to what the OP is doing. To bring it into line it would be like putting up a note on a community notice board requesting somebody cook him a free pizza. What amazes me is all the "pizza chefs" seeing this notice and getting uppity about it.

Yep and its more than likely he will get a horrible pizza but thats the sacrifice he has to make if he wants it for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭mountain

If OP gets his design for free, will he then expect his printing for free as well from another supplier?

If i was the designer i would feel "cheated" if my work was given for free, while OP pays the printer..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Anybody else think this thread is a good candidate for a lock?

Advertisement