Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-Season Friendlies - Tuesday and Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

mark made his comeback to the team. its going to cost us the league now i think.

Jesus Ed, go easy on Mark there - it can't all be his fault :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Is this 90 minutes or what? How much will it cost as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Is this 90 minutes or what? How much will it cost as well?

An hour.

it was a tenner a head on tuesday, so a tenner a head again tomorrow

Ah here, why not 90 minutes? Every one would be guaranteed a decent run out then.

because there are other games booked on the pitch.

...also, the people I want to see for a decent amount of time, sixty minutes is enough.

We'll have another friendly next week too.

Just with the effort that's required to get to games for myself, I'd prefer more time for my ten euro. Seeing as I might only play 30 mins or so depending.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Des wrote: »
    it was a tenner a head on tuesday, so a tenner a head again tomorrow

:eek::eek::eek:
    20080405170808.jpg

That Money was just resting in my account.

There's no gear for this, so can everyone please bring a RED TOP to wear, bring extra if you have them too.

I'll be going straight from work and just got the text now so I don't have a red top to wear so if anyone has a spare please bring it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Des wrote: »
    There's no gear for this, so can everyone please bring a RED TOP to wear, bring extra if you have them too.

do we get a discount as we've to bring our own gear:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭thelepo

Jules,
    If I remember to bring one for myself I'll have one for you as well. Livorno jersey.

Just put them in your bag right now.

Go on.

Do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I have a couple of spare red t-shirts that I'll bring along..

Lost (4-3 possibly). Couple of silly defensive errors cost us but have to say, we played great. Every man gave 100%. Bodes well for new season :cool:

but have to say, we played great.

:confused::confused::confused: eh? first half was up there with the microsoft game in terms of playing shocking. we were embarrisingly terrible, worst we have played since that game. we were 4-1 down and lets be honest, it could have been 6 or 7. Daryll got no protection what so ever and we gave away bad goals. fair play to him, i thought that even though he left in 4, that he had his best game yet for boards and he pulled off 4 great saves, one so good even the ref missed it!

made a few changes and it freshened us up and we played alot better in the 2nd half but overall, not a good night at the office. unlucky not to snatch a draw as we pounded them for the latst 15 minutes, but on the balance of play, their first half performance was enough.

Daryll MOM for defo.

Point out a player that didn't play well? I thought that was a superb performance barring a few silly mistakes. Can't believe I'm being the optimistic one here.

Point out a player that didn't play well?

no, don't.

if this turns into another bitch fest, I'll ban the two off this forum for the rest of the season.

You have been warned.

Point out a player that didn't play well? I thought that was a superb performance barring a few silly mistakes. Can't believe I'm being the optimistic one here.

i know, how ironic :)

nobody played well in the first half in all fairness, everybody looked off the pace. 2nd half yes 100% improvement, but we were chasing the game there and some lads woke up and started playing.

positives its an eye opener that if we slack off for even 15 mins we can get distroyed, so not all negaitive and we didnt drop the heads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'll hold my hand up and say that i was shockingly bad :o but again best to get the bad ones out of the way in the friendlies :D

Des I found my wallet so will pay on Tuesday

Quality excuse :D

I'm serious, I left the thing in work behind my computer and I've been searching the office for an hour for the thing!

Think it's somewhere between the two of those view lads - though clearly second half was a big improvement on the first - they were literally under seige for the last 20 though they did look threatening on the counter given the numbers we had pushed forward.

You could focus on the negatives in that once again we were sat too deep in the first half and either didn't spot they were playing it out of defence or didn't adapt to it, or you can say once again we did a good job of adapting to it at half-time. Likewise, you can say we played it around just a little bit much in our own half, or you could say that any playing around in our own half was much nearer the half-way than in the last match and 10 yards further from there is the ideal place to be doing it, so not much wrong there.

You could say that our combinations of midfield 4 weren't gelling fully but that one would be particularly harsh as you could say in Colly and Conor we have added two excellent natural centre-midfielders and they got a chance to get familiar with each other aswell as the wingers and the likes of Martin got a spell in there to get familiar with playing alongside Colly. So I'd say the midfield play was very encouraging and with a bit of time there's a few combinations there that will give us great options. I also thought we struck the right balance between passing movements and a few direct balls to the front - that variety stopped them pushing up second half and made some space.

You could also say we should have been more clinical upfront and you'd be right but you can focus on that or the number of balls we got on the end of and held up to bring runners into it and the generally improved movement dragging defenders to create space for runners.

All in all, I'd look at it as 2 very worthwhile friendlies in which we identified some things that we just need to be conscious of (but are within our control), kept sharpness ticking over, saw (admittedly only) two new likely members play very well, and our bad spells were outweighed by our good spells though we never hit top gear at any point........sounds to me like exactly what a preseason friendly should sound like.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It's strange when you concede four goals, but we should've been more than 4-2 down. Jules, from my perspective, the problem was we pushed up too much - they were bang on target with their through balls down the wings and through the middle where I don't think there was anyone within 20m of the fourth goal. Their threat was in behind and they profited it from a high line - it felt a bit like damage limitation at times.

Though how we didn't score an equaliser is beyond me..