Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

siberian huskys i need a bit of help

Options
  • 25-03-2009 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hey im 18 and i love siberian huskys and just bought my first 1 yesterday. he is pure white and is lovely. the whole family love him and we even want to get another one female black and white with blue eyes. if any1 has a litter and can help me out that would be great.

Also i would love to show my siberian husky but i havent got the first clue about it. im living in dublin and dont know were shows are on, how old the dog needs to be, so if any1 has any information it would be great if you could let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I replied in the other thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 awhyte

I appreciate your love for Sibes but do you understand the amount of attention they need. I've one and he takes alot of time and looking after but 2, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, could be tough. Particularly if it's your first time as an owner. My advice would be to see how you manage with the one and in time if you feel you could cope with another and have necessary room for 2 then go for it. Also trying to train 2 dogs at the same time is frustrating. At least if one is trained the other can learn from him. Just my experience thats all

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Roisinmor

Just a word of warning here, siberian huskies are the greatest escape artists in the world, and when they escape, you just have to wait for them to come back on their own. There is no recall with these dogs, they are well known for it. Before you even consider getting a second one, make sure that you can contain the first one. They can dig and jump. Your fence needs to be very secure.
    They are fabulous dogs, they are intelligent but not obedient. This is why they are so hard to catch when they escape.
    Enjoy your husky but make sure you can keep in contained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Neverwhere

Are you sure he's a siberian?? The pure white huskys are called Samoyed Huskys. My family has one....absoloutely gorgeous dogs, but like another poster said...they get big, and they demand a lot of attention and excercise.

If you have a samoyed...they have one of the best personalitys out there. They are usually very docile, friendly dogs and are good with kids...perfect family pets.

Siberian huskys (the black/grey ones with blue eyes) are a bit different and can be a little more agressive. Do you have pics?
    I'd advise you to do some research on the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Neverwhere wrote: »
    Are you sure he's a siberian?? The pure white huskys are called Samoyed Huskys. My family has one....absoloutely gorgeous dogs, but like another poster said...they get big, and they demand a lot of attention and excercise.

If you have a samoyed...they have one of the best personalitys out there. They are usually very docile, friendly dogs and are good with kids...perfect family pets.

Siberian huskys (the black/grey ones with blue eyes) are a bit different and can be a little more agressive. Do you have pics?

I have a pure white siberian husky, they aren't unknown. In fact some breeders try to sell them as rare, but they're not. Sibes come in all different colours, and with different eye colours, all of which are acceptable in show dogs. I certainly wouldn't say that sibes are more aggressive than samoyeds, they are well known for their placid nature and love of people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Neverwhere

well you learn something new every day so. Didn't know you could get pure white sibs.

In my experience samoyeds have been more placid, but obviously not all dogs will be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 awhyte

I totally agree, Huskies are very placid breed. Always playful and when they feel like it very affectionate. They never stop amusing you even when you are trying to correct their all too often bold behaviour. I have a lab also so my Sibe has the company he needs when I'm at work and keeps him in tow when I leave the 2 of them off the lead. I can only do this however when there are no other distractions which would cause him to run off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Depends on the individual dog, I have met two that were completely bananas. Again the whole purebred thing comes in here, shallow gene pool, inbred = nutty crap dogs.

lightening wrote: »
    Depends on the individual dog, I have met two that were completely bananas. Again the whole purebred thing comes in here, shallow gene pool, inbred = nutty crap dogs.

I certainly don't want to cast aspersions, but how much exercise do those two get? I agree that sibes can be totally up the wall if they're bored, but I've yet to meet an aggressive one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭leelee_m

Neverwhere wrote: »

Ive a siberian husky and she's certainly not aggressive....well her teddys may disagree lol :) any other sibes ive met have also been nothing but friendly and loving. they make awful guard dogs precisely because they are so non agressive.

My sibe is a purebred, yes she has absolute bounds of energy but that comes with the breed. She has an absolutely fantastic personality, i wouldnt call her nutty or crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

ISDW wrote: »
    I certainly don't want to cast aspersions, but how much exercise do those two get?

One got lots and lots, not sure about the other one.
    I agree that sibes can be totally up the wall if they're bored, but I've yet to meet an aggressive one.

The aggressive one was at a dog show. Don't know what the history was, could have been a rescue that didn't get a good start in life.

Do you not think the gene pool is a bit shallow?

There are a few breeders in the country with imports, not just from the UK, but also from Canada, USA and continental Europe. I don't show dogs, so I don't know what the lines are in the top show dogs, but I guess you're probably not talking about them? And of course then you've got the movie factor, so a lot of puppy farmers just pumping out dogs from the same sires and dams all the time for the cute fluffy snow dogs.

I've got 5 sibes of my own, and its amazing the difference in them, one of them is big for a sibe, well he would be big for a show dog, but he's a fantastic worker, so I think it depends what you want from a dog. He came from the UK, in fact 3 out of my 5 did, so maybe I have an unrealistic view of them.

However, I've had a few through the rescue now and there have been a couple that are registered with the IKC that I've wondered whether they are pure breed, or whether there was some crossing in their ancestry. We had a bitch in a couple of months ago that was in pup when she came, she had 11 pups. Speaking with someone that is very, very knowledgeable about the breed, that I highly respect, she was suspicious about that, as sibes don't have such big litters, but all the pups looked like sibes. I obviously told the new owners that they may not be pedigree sibes, but so far they don't look like anything else:D Apparently the KC in the UK are now investigating large litters in sibes. I have a malamute in that has full papers, but I would say she is a husky/mal cross. Sorry, I know thats not really answering your question about the small gene pool. There are a lot of sibe breeders in Ireland, but I don't know how many stud dogs there are, whether there are just a few doing the rounds.

I guess its the same with most breeds, the responsible, good breeders expand the gene pool, but the ones just out to make money don't care where the sire and dam come from, as long as they've got their papers and they can sell the pups for lots of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭aaronsbz

if any1 wants to see my pup i dont no how to upload pic mso heres a link to his pic .....

http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?MemberId=3731106184&PhotoAlbumId=10469537085&PhotoId=10469551442PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?MemberId=3731106184&PhotoAlbumId=10469537085&PhotoId=10469551442

There's alot of responsible breeders out there who are careful about their breeding and gene pools. Puppy farmers would be less concerned with such things and are just churning out pups to make money.

leelee_m wrote: »
    There's alot of responsible breeders out there who are careful about their breeding and gene pools. Puppy farmers would be less concerned with such things and are just churning out pups to make money.

wat do ya mean by gene pool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

He means inbreeding , breeding dogs for money rather than actually caring about the quality of parents and matching them up correctly knowing they are not related as this can lead to illness in the dogs early and late in life and shorten their life span.

Im a girl. :) But yes, you cant breed say a female to its grandfather. they're too closely related and it can result in problems with the pups. Its like incest in humans. You need to breed back a certain amount of generations or to a completely non related dog.

leelee_m wrote: »
    Im a girl. :) But yes, you cant breed say a female to its grandfather. they're too closely related and it can result in problems with the pups. Its like incest in humans. You need to breed back a certain amount of generations or to a completely non related dog.

oh yeah now i get you but would that not show up in the papers that there too closely linked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Fer

That's a samoyed you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Not so sure if it is or not, you can get sibes in pure white, mine is pure white and his father was, the rest of the litter was black and white and fawn and white.

• Advertisement

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Not so sure if it is or not, you can get sibes in pure white, mine is pure white and his father was, the rest of the litter was black and white and fawn and white.

Yes you can

Fer wrote: »
    That's a samoyed you have.

Sibes come in a vast range of colours including pure white!!!!

Yes, sibes do come in pure white, but, having seen the photos, I was thinking it was a samoyed as well. It is very difficult to tell from photos obviously, and I hope it is a sibe. The OP did see the mother, so hopefully they knew enough about the breed (and I don't mean that in a condescending way at all) to know the difference.

Just keep posting pics as the pup grows up, we all love puppy pictures.

Those pics actually do look like a Samoyed which is very different from a siberian Husky.

Hmmm when you compare the pics of his pup to samoyed pups he does look like a samoyed! and i have actually seen people trying to sell samoyeds as huskies!!!
    Whatever the little guy is he is just adorable and im sure the OP will love him all the same! :)

Well the thing is it does matter as he is interested in showing the dog and he will need to know what breed it is first before he starts that.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

Yes, sibes do come in pure white, but, having seen the photos, I was thinking it was a samoyed as well. It is very difficult to tell from photos obviously, and I hope it is a sibe. The OP did see the mother, so hopefully they knew enough about the breed (and I don't mean that in a condescending way at all) to know the difference.

Just keep posting pics as the pup grows up, we all love puppy pictures.

Whose to say the dog the OP seen was actually the biological mother??? And i also think the pup looks like a sammy!

Was the dog you seen as the mother like this???

http://claireshome.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/samoyed.jpg

This is an image for a White Sibe

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images2/SiberianHuskyNorm2.jpg

Big difference between both me thinks!

kassie wrote: »
    Whose to say the dog the OP seen was actually the biological mother??? And i also think the pup looks like a sammy!

Ya see, me being so naive and trusting, I hadn't even thought of that:D

We got our white sibe at 12 weeks, and this was her at that age.

2006missingfotos026.jpg
    Very different look to the op's puppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

Is that sky?

Defo think OP's pup is a sammy, either way if he has the correct paper work he can show! He's hoping the paper works in order! :)

• Advertisement

hey my dog isnt a samoyed i seen the mother and the father and seen the pup twice be4 i got it...

i seen the papers and all its defo a sibe......

ive seen samoyed pups aswell there fur is alot different and more hairy.

Advertisement