Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laws Question? Ask here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭remwhite

Risteard wrote: »
    It's tricky one. I think it should have been allowed but I remember a few years ago when Agen were playing Leinster I think and the ball was chipped, bounced over the Leinster player's head and Caucau running on to it kind of slapped it forwards and caught it before it hit the ground or any other player, but it was ruled a knock on.

I also have a question of myown, can a mark be called from a missed penalty kick?

I remember as a kid(early 90s) my Dad showing me something on tele. Think the rule might have just changed around then or something because he told me you couldn't do that before. But anyway there was a high ball(I'm assuming a kick) in the dead ball zone/on the try line and a couple of lads were waiting for it to drop and a Welsh player(I think) ran on to it at pace, jumped, flicked it on with one hand, landed and caught it and scored the try.

Don't know about the penalty. I read that it can't be called from a "restart kick" but am not sure if a penalty is deemed to be a restart kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Thing is though, if you say what happened in your match is a knock-on, thene where's the limit drawn, can juggling the ball from a bad pass be counted as a knock on?

I suppose like many things it's up the the ref's interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭remwhite

DEFINITION: KNOCK-ON
    A knock-on occurs when a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward, or when a player hits the ball forward with the hand or arm, or when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward, and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Isnt this more to do with the fact that you cant run up and throw the ball over a guy and run past him to collect it before it hits the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭karlitob

remwhite wrote: »
    Was playing a match the other week and one of our players was trying to catch a loose pass. The ball was dropping at his feet and he just managed to get a hand to it and flick it up. He gave it a fairly substantial flick and it went about 2 meters forward an over head height but he caught it. He was away and the ref blew it up and said "ya can't do that". Never touched anything but his hands, no opposition and not the turf. Didn't matter a whole lot but am I right in saying the ref was incorrect.

This is an interesting one. What did they ref give the peno for?

The only two issues I see here are knock-on or forward pass.

It seems he didnt knock it on so I would say it sounds like a forward pass. Why? Well, you said that he gave it a substantial flick. I take that to mean that he intended to flick rather than as a consequence of not being able to catch it. 'Over head height' was that over other players head height.

A recent example was BOD's flick/pass outside a scrum with Leinster. This was a lateral pass but close to being a forward pass.

The other thing I would say about this is that if I was the opposition I would hammer the player that flicked it as he is considered being in control/in possession of the ball. A free hit!!!!! Lots of lovely ribs. Yum!!!!

• Advertisement

It's tricky one. I think it should have been allowed but I remember a few years ago when Agen were playing Leinster I think and the ball was chipped, bounced over the Leinster player's head and Caucau running on to it kind of slapped it forwards and caught it before it hit the ground or any other player, but it was ruled a knock on.

I also have a question of myown, can a mark be called from a missed penalty kick?

You can only mark a ball from open play.

A poor player from Richmond under 14 learned that lesson when he marked my out-halfs restart. I can still see the fear in his eyes as I bore down on him. Free dinner!!!

castie wrote: »
    Isnt this more to do with the fact that you cant run up and throw the ball over a guy and run past him to collect it before it hits the ground?

Exactly

Thing is though, if you say what happened in your match is a knock-on, thene where's the limit drawn, can juggling the ball from a bad pass be counted as a knock on?

I suppose like many things it's up the the ref's interpretation.

Thats not a knock-on. But dont forget to tackle the player anyway. He wont be looking at you1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Yes it can even if it has come off the post

Downtime wrote: »
    Yes it can even if it has come off the post

I looked it up again. I dont think you can. You can mark a ball 'even if it has hit the goal posts or crossbar' but that probably means from open play.

Law 18: a mark cannot be made from a kick-off or restart kick except for a drop out.

A penalty restarts the game. A kick-off restarts the game. A drop out would mean a 22-drop out.

So no - you cant mark from a penalty.

• Advertisement

In sevens, yes.

I don't think thats true. Why would you? The in-goal area is not in the field of play. The conversion must be in the field of play as the 'kick is taken on a line through the place where the try was scored'. If the try was scored on the touch-in-goal this is not a score and thus the conversion cant be taken.

No you cant score from behind the goalposts.

Goose81 wrote: »
    Like this

I think this was the first time it was done on a large scale ,I think clarification was made after that made it illegal.There was lots of debate over whether it was legal or not at the time.

14th second. The Ulster player is unable to tackle O Driscoll. Crossing and obstruction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

karlitob wrote: »
    I looked it up again. I dont think you can. You can mark a ball 'even if it has hit the goal posts or crossbar' but that probably means from open play.

Law 18: a mark cannot be made from a kick-off or restart kick except for a drop out.

A penalty restarts the game. A kick-off restarts the game. A drop out would mean a 22-drop out.

So no - you cant mark from a penalty.

A penalty is not a kick- off or restart kick and therefore can be marked. It does not restart the game as the game is still live during a penalty kick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Just thought I'd post this up with regards to the Ireland v Wales game and the quick throw in issue.
    19.2 QUICK THROW-IN

(a) A player may take a quick throw-in without waiting for a lineout to form.
    (b) For a quick throw-in, the player may be anywhere outside the field of play between the place where the ball went into touch and the player’s goal line.
    (c) A player must not take a quick throw-in after the lineout has formed. If the player does, the quick throw-in is disallowed. The same team throws in at the lineout.

(d) For a quick throw-in, the player must use the ball that went into touch. A quick throw-in is not permitted if another person has touched the ball apart from the player throwing it in and an opponent who carried it into touch. The same team throws into the lineout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Just to aadd that the excuse being offered on RTE that it wasn't a quick lineout and was in fact a proper lineout just taken quickly (if you get me) doesn't stack up as I'm sure there has to be a minimum 2 players form each team for a lineout.

Also there's the fact that Kaplan asked if it was the same ball suggests that he didn't view it as a lineout.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Just to aadd that the excuse being offered on RTE that it wasn't a quick lineout and was in fact a proper lineout just taken quickly (if you get me) doesn't stack up as I'm sure there has to be a minimum 2 players form each team for a lineout.

Also there's the fact that Kaplan asked if it was the same ball suggests that he didn't view it as a lineout.
    I'll youtube it and see what you all think. I'm slightly very biased and i could be very wrong but appears to be a shocking noncall to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭davidpfitz

From the law definitions: "Players taking part in the lineout known as participating players. Players taking part in the lineout are the player who throws-in and an immediate opponent, the two players waiting to receive the ball from the lineout and the lineout players."

So, 2 players from each side. 4 in all receiving, one throwing.

Not sure about this but Phillips also joined the lineout as it was being taken which is surely illegal given the distance he traveled to recieve it.

A penalty is not a kick- off or restart kick and therefore can be marked. It does not restart the game as the game is still live during a penalty kick

Thanks Downtime. On reflection, well done, I think you're correct. Thanks for that again.

castie wrote: »
    Not sure about this but Phillips also joined the lineout as it was being taken which is surely illegal given the distance he traveled to recieve it.

This incident was bound to happen at some stage because ref's are not being pedantic about it.

Castie - Not sure what you mean on this.

Its a clear breach of the law.

Different ball

Different person threw it in (by definition if its a different ball)

The line-out had not formed. You need two from both sides. I'd go so far as to say that this has to clearly be a lineout. You often see from time to time teams have not quite formed a lineout and a player throws it in quickly - the ref brings it back for a set lineout.

All Phillips needed to do was be five metres back from where he receives it and the ball not to be thrown forward.

If you look at where Kaplan stands he should clearly see that its not the same ball. Very poor call.

Also, the Touch Judge brought the line-out back cos it went out of the full. He was standing in front of the ball boy who gave the hooker a new ball.

The touch judge had plenty of time to think about what happened as he ran down the line. It wasnt an on the spot decision. The ref must have thought something was up when he asked his touch judge. He had three options: accept the touch judges decision, refuse his decision and bring the lineout back or TMO. Whats the point having a TMO if this happens. As far as I know, the TMO is appropriate in this instance.

Lastly, its Ireland's fault. You get back, get set and heads up. You should never be caught on a quick lineout or quick tap. Its inexcusable.

Now as for Paddy Wallace - am I the only one who is unsure why he is an Irish international?

• Advertisement

RuggieBear wrote: »
    I'll youtube it and see what you all think. I'm slightly very biased and i could be very wrong but appears to be a shocking noncall to me.
    posted it here
    I understand officials make mistakes but this was such a simple one it is mind blowing how Peter Allan got it so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭defadman

im confused with one rule! it is how come a ref will give a penalty when a team is pushing the other team back in the scrum or maul?

defadman wrote: »
    im confused with one rule! it is how come a ref will give a penalty when a team is pushing the other team back in the scrum or maul?

Usually due to the pressure the retreating team will pop up or the scrum will fall apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

I'll ask for some patience with this question.

now i understand the basics of the offside rules of rugby however i have a question about the offside rule from kicks.

When a player kicks the ball he has to chase to get everyone else onside? but sometimes say ROG kicks and someone else chases? both kicks are from play but two different chasers

if anything needs to be clarified about my question feel free to tear the post apart and ill happily answer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The kicker doesn't need to chase. Anyone behind him, when he kicks, can chase the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

newby.204 wrote: »
    When a player kicks the ball he has to chase to get everyone else onside? but sometimes say ROG kicks and someone else chases? both kicks are from play but two different chasers

Law 11.2 c) refers to 'Action by the kicker or other onside player'. So basically anyone who was behind (or level with) the kicker can chase forward and put players on the same team onside.

There is another thing they have to consider though. The offside players have to actively retreat 10 metres from any player on the opposing side who might try catch the ball after it's been kicked. They altered this Law to stop people just idly standing in the field and waiting to be put onside.

This is where the Law is, if you want to look at it in more detail. http://www.irblaws.com/downloads/EN/Law_11_EN.pdf

lologram wrote: »
    Law 11.2 c) refers to 'Action by the kicker or other onside player'. So basically anyone who was behind (or level with) the kicker can chase forward and put players on the same team onside.

There is another thing they have to consider though. The offside players have to actively retreat 10 metres from any player on the opposing side who might try catch the ball after it's been kicked. They altered this Law to stop people just idly standing in the field and waiting to be put onside.

This is where the Law is, if you want to look at it in more detail. http://www.irblaws.com/downloads/EN/Law_11_EN.pdf

Is that retreat 10m from the player towards your own line or could you move 10m laterally away from the player (but not moving towards your own line)? players appear to do and amalgamation of the two..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I was just wondering when the Rugby leagues start and finish?

Ive only started playing (3 months) J3 and never asked the manager,

Wont be at training for a few weeks so wont get to ask either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Hardly a laws question. Junior leagues will finish up in the next couple of weeks or so and then the cup competitions start, when it's up to ye to determine how much longer you play!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Hardly a laws question. Junior leagues will finish up in the next couple of weeks or so and then the cup competitions start, when it's up to ye to determine how much longer you play!

Thanks

I thought better to ask here than start a whole new thread for a simple
    question that I would only expect 2-3 replies if even that

Advertisement