Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

A Wexford A and E doctor was on the radio earlier. He said he was seeing a lot of runners and triathletes coming in with heat issues, dehydration and so on.

He seemed to suggest they are the largest group of people coming in suffering from
    the weather. After that, ironically, it was drinkers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    A Wexford A and E doctor was on the radio earlier. He said he was seeing a lot of runners and triathletes coming in with heat issues, dehydration and so on.

He seemed to suggest they are the largest group of people coming in suffering from

When's the next beer mile??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

A lot of people from wexford must have ran in Killarney so on saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭opus

Not sure if this has been posted already so apologies if so. It was mentioned on a recent marathon talk episode & is very good. His description of getting a drink from a vending machine when he was almost finished from dehydration cracked me up :)
    It tasted like the souls of ten thousand unborn panda bears.
    It tasted like someone stole the balls of a pegasus and blended them into a smoothie.
    It tasted like sugar, water and absolution.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Makes me want to run down some deer in the Phoenix Park (no idea what I'd do then though :) ) :

"the desire to pursue the deer, to face the challenge of the chase. I can see that the deer is getting ready to run. As I have been shaped by my hunter ancestors, he has been shaped by his ancestors—the hunted"

http://blog.talkingphilosophy.com/?p=7408

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So there has now been 20 years of Runners World apparently:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/20thanniversary/pastcovers

How many runners, as opposed to models, have they had appear on the cover in that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

robinph wrote: »
    So there has now been 20 years of Runners World apparently:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/20thanniversary/pastcovers

How many runners, as opposed to models, have they had appear on the cover in that time?

Less than 20 I'd say :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

http://www.flotrack.org/coverage/250603-Outdoor-Track-and-Field-on-Flotrack-2013/video/720141-Ironman-Brazil-This-is-what-happens-when-you-gloat

Triathlete starts to celebrate a bit too early.

I don't understand the whole high fiving the crowd. Interestingly, some people have criticised the other athlete for not waiting 10 seconds for the bloke to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Looks like he threw out his arm to slow the guy in the belly top too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Interestingly, some people have criticised the other athlete for not waiting 10 seconds for the bloke to finish.

Yep, don't get that myself. The finish line is the... well finish line. First one over it wins and you just have to get there as fast as you can. Races are really quite simple, just don't impede anyone else deliberately on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Why is everyone in this country discounting Austria? Ireland's record in competitive games against them is lost 5, drawn 1!

Told you so. Suckers. :D

Oh, we all thought you were on about Australia! Are they not the same thing??:P

belcarra wrote: »
    Oh, we all thought you were on about Australia! Are they not the same thing??:P

I'm not talking to you because of what you said before the Dublin Kerry match

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm not talking to you because of what you said before the Dublin Kerry match

Don't worry. We'll beat Mayo too. Just to get him back for whatever it was he said. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

They should have won in the Aviva too in fairness:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Who's gonna replace Trap though? McCarthy or O'Neill for me.

Both used to working with type of players we have available at the moment

pistol_75 wrote: »
    McCarthy

Thick Mick? :confused::confused:

Don't worry. We'll beat Mayo too. Just to get him back for whatever it was he said. :cool:

Like last year's semi final or like 2006??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Thick Mick? :confused::confused:

McDermott ha

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    McDermott ha

Beggars can't be choosers.

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    Like last year's semi final or like 2006??

Stop living in the past John...all about the future :P

Stop living in the past John...all about the future :P

You talking about our Minor team? Victory on the Dubble!:D

Watched the all-Ireland last Sun in the Dubliner pub in Copenhagen and got charged over €10 for a pint of cider :eek: I know Denmark is an expensive place but that's really taking the p*ss!

As a friend of mine lives there, I'm eyeing up the Copenhagen marathon as a potential run at some stage, anyone every done it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

opus wrote: »

As a friend of mine lives there, I'm eyeing up the Copenhagen marathon as a potential run at some stage, anyone every done it?

Careful now, you don't want to be bringing this thread on topic. :D

BTH wrote: »
    Careful now, you don't want to be bringing this thread on topic. :D

Oops sorry :p

opus wrote: »
    Watched the all-Ireland last Sun in the Dubliner pub in Copenhagen and got charged over €10 for a pint of cider :eek: I know Denmark is an expensive place but that's really taking the p*ss!

At least one poster here has done it.
    http://www.mountain-runner.com/2012/05/races-copenhagen-marathon.html

Cheers for that & apologies again for dragging the thread 'on topic' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Anyone watch that show lastnight on TV about Donegal, Jimmy's Winning Matches? Found it pretty interesting from the point of view of the psychology side of things. I do think thought there was a fair bit of luck about how things fell together for them, I'm not sure if McGuinness is the fitness and conditioning genius that he really seemed, all the programme really showed in that regard was the players running possibly something like a 600 metre interval session, and talk on how the sessions were brutal all year round. If they were as punishing on the body as people were trying to make out, there'd have been an awful lot more running related injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Anyone watch that show lastnight on TV about Donegal, Jimmy's Winning Matches? Found it pretty interesting from the point of view of the psychology side of things. I do think thought there was a fair bit of luck about how things fell together for them, I'm not sure if McGuinness is the fitness and conditioning genius that he really seemed, all the programme really showed in that regard was the players running possibly something like a 600 metre interval session, and talk on how the sessions were brutal all year round. If they were as punishing on the body as people were trying to make out, there'd have been an awful lot more running related injuries.

The majority of the team were carrying injuries into this season, I'd imagine because of the sustained brutal sessions and lack of recovery. With any luck and a bit of rest since getting knocked out this year they'll be back in form next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Yes, that's true regarding this year. So, how clever really is that of the backroom team? I suppose I still can't see what the fuss is about the supposed genius of the training regime. As you say, recovery is as important as pushing the fitness boundaries. You'd have to worry about some of the guys who've been around the team a long time, it'd be very hard to keep up that level of commitment in the long-term. Saying that, if my beloved Monaghan could do something similar, putting a year or two together of Ulster/All-Ireland glory, you'd forego the longterm in a heartbeat.

I wonder how much influence Jimmy really has over at Celtic in terms of the performance coaching? Be hard to get prima donna soccer players to buy into it the way the Donegal GAA lads did.

Advertisement