Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

robinph wrote: »
    Should be disqualified for that as a lot of the comments on the video were saying. No need for it at all.

Looks like he would of ran in to the post otherwise.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Looks like he would of ran in to the post otherwise.
    Looked to me as if there was loads of room for him to run straight through next to the other guy. Although there did seem to be far too many people and things immediately after the line and they would have crashed into something regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭rom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Not sure if Rom is setting a trap so we can kick off the annual sexisim in womens sport thread again but I thanked it anyway as both end results are as enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Not sure if Rom is setting a trap so we can kick off the annual sexisim in womens sport thread again but I thanked it anyway as either way as the both end results are enjoyable.

You've got to love the onesy fleece pjs the guy is wearing while eating his pancakes with a nunchuck :) athlete's costume gets an honourable mention also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There is someone who is sitting behind me at meals in this hotel in Austria who I'm sure sounds like Krusty Clown. Has he recently had a face lift to knock 20 years off his age, and grown a dodgy mustache?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

There is someone who is sitting behind me at meals in this hotel in Austria who I'm sure sounds like Krusty Clown. Has he recently had a face lift to knock 20 years off his age, and grown a dodgy mustache?

?

young20krustybl3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Boards is just mocking me when I log in - make them stop :p
    8394388463_afbc8f131b_z.jpg

A bit of a pub quiz question for you. Flicking through the stations as there isn't a thing on at the moment and I got as far as channel 209, Africa Channel and there's a film called The Athlete just started. It's about Abebe Bikila and it's mixing archive footage with acting. It showed the Rome marathon from way back, I didn't get the year but there was a bunch of Irish lads mixing it up at the start with one in particular gets a few mentions as one of the leaders. Anyone know who he is ?

A bit of a pub quiz question for you. Flicking through the stations as there isn't a thing on at the moment and I got as far as channel 209, Africa Channel and there's a film called The Athlete just started. It's about Abebe Bikila and it's mixing archive footage with acting. It showed the Rome marathon from way back, I didn't get the year but there was a bunch of Irish lads mixing it up at the start with one in particular gets a few mentions as one of the leaders. Anyone know who he is ?

Bertie Messit maybe

• Advertisement

That's the one ! I had to rewind several times and still couldn't figure out what the commentator was calling him, my best guess was something like Messop as I never heard of him, was he successful? The other Irish guys were right at the front at the start and in the lead group for a while.

That's the one ! I had to rewind several times and still couldn't figure out what the commentator was calling him, my best guess was something like Messop as I never heard of him, was he successful? The other Irish guys were right at the front at the start and in the lead group for a while.

Very well known around Bray, Shankill and his club Donore. Bronze medal in the European 10k in 58 but probably never fulfilled his international potential. Cleaned up on the Irish circuit, genuine real nice guy, have a signed copy of his book somewhere. Passed away recently I was at the funeral in Shankill a real who's who of Irish athletics was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

A rather lovely story about a 70-year-old and 80-year-old who find love through running.

A bit soppy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/27/fashion/the-race-grows-sweeter-near-its-final-lap-modern-love.html?_r=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Excellent stuff, just spent the last 30 mins watching similar stuff afterwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    My family laughed a little too hard at that one!

Anyone else's plan for an evening run ruined by the fact they went overboard on the pancakes, jam and maple syrup when they got home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Had to have a lie down instead

Anyone else's plan for an evening run ruined by the fact they went overboard on the pancakes, jam and maple syrup when they got home?

Nope, rewards come afterwards, not before :p

Well that was my plan too, but my daughter didn't see things like that ! Making pancakes was used as a bribe to get her home from an epic play dough session in the creche and she held me to that promise so what kind of father would I be letting her eat alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well that was my plan too, but my daughter didn't see things like that ! Making pancakes was used as a bribe to get her home from an epic play dough session in the creche and she held me to that promise so what kind of father would I be letting her eat alone.

That's my story too - I couldn't let my wee lad eat pancakes on his own so pigged out on a few he made me! Golden syrup, lemon, strawberries and jam pancakes followed by a run is not a good idea!!

Cone Of Shame Win! – Gif

1bbGamx.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

My family laughed a little too hard at that one!

That's too close to home for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Designed to help develop your running form :D

http://www.foddy.net/Athletics.html

2.5 meters so far. :(

Can't figure out how to move properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

2.5 meters so far. :(

Can't figure out how to move properly.

I'm getting further going backwards, hope its not a reflection on real life

• Advertisement

Just hitting random buttons and I at least made it over the line before falling over. Trying to figure out the order to hit the buttons in and I just fall over backwards straight away and get a negative number. :mad:

Advertisement