Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most difficult game(s)?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Soviet Strike was a total bastard alright. But then I never was much good at that series. It seemed like you absolutely needed a strategy guide to know what was going on.

Yeah all the strike games were a lot of flying about doing nothing... but were pretty good for the time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I thought it was brilliant when the angry videogame nerd was slagging the power glove off while playing top gun. He was there surding and swearing about how much of a piece of **** it was and then managed to land the plane while not even trying, his expression was priceless :)

Haha yeah was wetting myself the first time i seen it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,451 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

vangoz wrote: »
    Yeah all the strike games were a lot of flying about doing nothing... but were pretty good for the time!!

Anyone else notice that Jungle strike started off in a city and Urban Strike started off in a Jungle?

Always wondered about that...

Really loved those games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

o1s1n wrote: »
    Anyone else notice that Jungle strike started off in a city and Urban Strike started off in a Jungle?

Always wondered about that...

Really loved those games.

Desert Strike initially starts off on a ship in the sea. Soviet Strike came out 1996/1997? The Soviet Union had collapsed in 1990 or 1991? Sorry, I'm just being pedantic now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭ro1798

gemini wing, its the toughest game invented, started in wexford arcade still trying to this day to get past second level

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Gn'G toughest game I've ever played, never got very far, still coming back for more though, even now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It just takes a lot of dedication. It's very manageable. You need to learn how to take out the red armourers without taking a hit though and that takes time and patience. The game gets tricky at level 4 especially the boss but level 5 is a complete bastard and took me weeks to figure out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

The arcade conversion of Green Beret for the C64 was an absolute nightmare. I never did get to complete it. Many a joystick were flung against the wall because of that game. I may take an evening and fire it up on C64S and use the save state function to see what happens when you do finally clock the f*cker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I just thought of another one. Double Dragon on the 2600. I played it for a year solid and I got to the last boss once. It damn near killed me. Even the guy on youtube does the walkthrough says its nearly impossible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHeARfSReT0

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It has to be terminator 2: judgement day on the Commodore, Amiga and NES. That game was damned hard,. Second level on the bike is the most frustrating thing ever, but it just continues to get harder. still have my copy, never been finished.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Ignoring the R-Types/Gradius and another tedious sidescrollers

On PC: X-Com: Enemy Unknown on the harder difficulty levels is absolutely sick. The Fools Errand (Apple II, Amiga, 386) was unbelievable but incredibly tricky. More recently, skirmishing on the hardest setting against the computer in in Homeworld 2.

Final boss in Megaman64. Megaman 9.

Super G'n'G... Worrying

Wipeout 2097 on Speed Demon Setting doing TTs. You're operating purely on muscle memory. Can't believe some people prefer F-Zero to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭fugazied

Without a soubt Gauntlet. I dropped a lot of coin into that game hehe x.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

jimi_t wrote: »
    Ignoring the R-Types/Gradius and another tedious sidescrollers

How dare you!
    jimi_t wrote: »
    Wipeout 2097 on Speed Demon Setting doing TTs. You're operating purely on muscle memory. Can't believe some people prefer F-Zero to this.

Give me F-zero GX any day over Wipeout. Wiepout relies an awful lot on weapons. F-zero is about 5 times fast, relies purely on racing skill, is a bigger adrenaline rush imo and the AI never cheats.

Just remebered Terminator on the Mega-Drive. The game until the last level is a breeze, but in the final level you have to fight the Terminator in the factory. After destroying one form, he's left as this crawling machine. I could never clear it. You can't jump over him, despite the fact that your jump clearly is high enough, or shoot him away, and if you move up the wrong ladder, you'll get trapped. Grrrr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

I'm not sure if it has been said but the original Teenage mutant hero/ninja turtles by Konami/Ultra. is up there with Ghouls n ghosts

Tmnt-box.jpg

Oh god I used to love that game. It was an absolute bastard though and designed to eat quarters. I got it on xbox live arcade recently and it really hasn't aged well.

Your getting mistaken with Tmnt:II the arcade game for nes/aracde/xbox360

The one i'm talking about is
    Tmnt-2.png

your talking about is
    tmnt2box_front.jpg

The nes game was horrible and an absolute bastard.

Its a good game!. just so hard the seaweed that seaweed was controller throwing frustration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭crxsi

anyone remember this? this is the hardest game ever... have it on emulator, still cant get very far in it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Just remebered Terminator on the Mega-Drive. The game until the last level is a breeze, but in the final level you have to fight the Terminator in the factory. After destroying one form, he's left as this crawling machine. I could never clear it. You can't jump over him, despite the fact that your jump clearly is high enough, or shoot him away, and if you move up the wrong ladder, you'll get trapped. Grrrr!

It's a cakewalk compared to Terminator 2: Judgement Day (not The Arcade Game). I just looked it up on Youtube and was surprised to see how incredibly long and hard it is. I'd only scratched the surface and gave up because it was so frustrating.. well that and that it was a pretty **** game.

It's a cakewalk compared to Terminator 2: Judgement Day (not The Arcade Game). I just looked it up on Youtube and was surprised to see how incredibly long and hard it is. I'd only scratched the surface and gave up because it was so frustrating.. well that and that it was a pretty **** game.

Yeah, I only played T2 on an emulator and it was just fecking annoying, I gave up. I didn't like it at all.

Retro, TMNT II the arcade game was a excellent game, I use to try play it whenever I could during a holiday one summer in Mosney. The graphics at the time looked very good I remeber. I have the NES version, which obviously doesn't have great graphics but they did a decent job, if only the collision detection is a bit gammy and your just jumping back and forth trying to kick people.

I would now like to announce that I have FINALLY gotten an new TV.

Sony11.JPG

It's 27 inches! Haha I love it, it only cost 35 euro and can display both in 50 & 60hz! It's ancient, they really don't make them like they used to. Atleast with it being CRT I can still play lightgun games. It's so old it still has MADE IN WEST GERMANY on the front :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I'll wager that that telly is older than some posters on this board.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,451 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

On the subject of difficult games...I've recently gotten back into Nethack. Hard as nails.

Tis a great game to play in work windowed as to everyone else it just looks like a load of random ASCII characters. :D

Oh and CCCP^ - Congrats! Welcome to the 60hz club. Maybe in another 20 years you can finally get a nice big LCD ;)

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Yeah, I only played T2 on an emulator and it was just fecking annoying, I gave up. I didn't like it at all.

Retro, TMNT II the arcade game was a excellent game, I use to try play it whenever I could during a holiday one summer in Mosney. The graphics at the time looked very good I remeber. I have the NES version, which obviously doesn't have great graphics but they did a decent job, if only the collision detection is a bit gammy and your just jumping back and forth trying to kick people.

I would now like to announce that I have FINALLY gotten an new TV.

Sony11.JPG

It's 27 inches! Haha I love it, it only cost 35 euro and can display both in 50 & 60hz! It's ancient, they really don't make them like they used to. Atleast with it being CRT I can still play lightgun games. It's so old it still has MADE IN WEST GERMANY on the front :D

west Germany, classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

I found Comix Zone on the Sega Mega Drive to be quite difficult when I was younger. Then I played it on the Sega Mega Drive Collection on the PSP and found that it still was.

In Cold Blood on the PS1 was very difficult. An intriguing and atmospherica game that it was, I found that difficulty to be overwhelming. I never even got past the first stage. For shame...

Tekken 2 is my favourite beat 'em up of all time. It's also quite difficult. It will punish any and all mistakes, even on Easy. Kazuya is a real challenge, moreso than Devil due to his more varied moveset, especially with a less mobile charachter, like Jack-2, or Ganryu.

Strangely enough, I always found Alex Kidd to be more difficult than any of the NES and SNES Mario platformers, or any of Sonic's first three games.

Tyranax wrote: »
    I found Comix Zone on the Sega Mega Drive to be quite difficult when I was younger. Then I played it on the Sega Mega Drive Collection on the PSP and found that it still was.

In Cold Blood on the PS1 was very difficult. An intriguing and atmospherica game that it was, I found that difficulty to be overwhelming. I never even got past the first stage. For shame...

Tekken 2 is my favourite beat 'em up of all time. It's also quite difficult. It will punish any and all mistakes, even on Easy. Kazuya is a real challenge, moreso than Devil due to his more varied moveset, especially with a less mobile charachter, like Jack-2, or Ganryu.

Strangely enough, I always found Alex Kidd to be more difficult than any of the NES and SNES Mario platformers, or any of Sonic's first three games.

Alex the kidd has always been a hard game, i mean comparing sonic games as hard is like comparing ice as hard water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

i thought final fantasy tactics was too easy. It gets easier as your progress too thanksto a hugely overpowered character joining your party. Ceases to be a challenge at all after that point in fact.
    I found timecrisis games easy too.

If you like nethack you should try adom, which is the best roguelike game imo, and also omega. Roguelike games are usually pretty hard alright. Finished a few of them, but I would always cheat by returning to saves after dying.

pwd wrote: »
    i thought final fantasy tactics was too easy. It gets easier as your progress too thanksto a hugely overpowered character joining your party. Ceases to be a challenge at all after that point in fact.

The original PS1 version has some really nasty difficulty spikes which the PSP version ironed out and reduced the overall difficulty of. The PS1 game is a lot harder but it's true that 3/4 of the way through the game you get a very overpowered character that makes things way too easy. Up until then, it's as hard as nails.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

This is kind of humerous but I remember years ago I rented out Flashback for the Mega Drive, and wasn't able to jump over the first pit in the game. So, that was a waste of a few pounds or whatever it cost to rent out games back then.

... ...I then completed the game as a ROM on the PC many years later.

Advertisement