Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most difficult game(s)?

Options
  • 23-03-2009 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭

Sorry if a similar thread exists!!!!

Parodius Da! (Arcade) - I'm still playing this since i was 12 and havent completed it..... although I wont set it to anything but the hardest difficulty :)

Golden Axe (Arcade) - Dam that final boss!!!!!

Super Mario lost worlds

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've played and beaten far tougher than that. The parodius games aren't really that tough compared to other games in the genre, although I've never attempted the hardest difficulty or tried to 1 credit it. R-type 1 and even more so 2 are tougher. I've credit fed both games on the PS1 version and never managed to beat the last bosses of either.

The two most difficult games I've ever beat are the PS1 version of FF Tactics and Contra Hard Corps on the Mega drive.

Final Fantasy Tactics is notoriously tough and has some really tough difficulty spikes and a few bugs that make it very difficult to beat.

Contra HC/Probotector is just brutal. It's just extremely tough boss followed by extremely tough boss yet it is utterly brilliant. Took me a few weeks of dedicated play to get through this.

I'm of course discounting games that are impossible to finish like Jet Set Willy.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

Any coin-op game where you had to restart from a previous checkpoint is tough. Ghosts and Goblins was a good example of this. Great game but very difficult.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jesus forgot about that. Ghosts n' Goblins was too tough for me but Ghouls n' Ghosts I managed to 1 credit after months of practice on the megadrive (very clsoe conversion I must say). Fantastic game but my god it's tough.

I managed to complete Super Ghouls and Ghosts (great port on the psp). But get this, you had to complete the game TWICE before you were finished!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

The obvious one is Battletoads on the snes. Could only get as far as the third level (the bike race)! Also the final boss in Secret of Mana (snes) was a ridiculous spike in difficulty. Managed to kill him in the end though

• Advertisement

Dexterm99 wrote: »
    I managed to complete Super Ghouls and Ghosts (great port on the psp). But get this, you had to complete the game TWICE before you were finished!

It's the same in all the Gn'G games. Didn't like the PSP port though. It relied far too much on cheap hits to increase the difficulty rather than clever level design. Also hunting for the rings was a pain to get to the last boss. I just gave up, the game was frustrating enough as is.

Battletoads on the NES was nasty. It's actually a really easy and great game. Except for those speed bike and other speed challenges. It was just pure evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've played and beaten far tougher than that. The parodius games aren't really that tough compared to other games in the genre, although I've never attempted the hardest difficulty or tried to 1 credit it. R-type 1 and even more so 2 are tougher. I've credit fed both games on the PS1 version and never managed to beat the last bosses of either.

Agreed the other's are tougher but i played them on consoles first and not on arcade so they "seemed" easier:)

The thing is, once you die once its game over because its near to impossible to build your power ups again, so even pumping extra credits in wont help.

Sunset Riders (arcade) I found took a while to crack on 1 credit..... the fire arrow indians hiding behind rocks where motherf*ckers :D

It's the same in all the Gn'G games. Didn't like the PSP port though. It relied far too much on cheap hits to increase the difficulty rather than clever level design. Also hunting for the rings was a pain to get to the last boss. I just gave up, the game was frustrating enough as is.

Never having completed it in the arcades I was determined to finish it:) I thought the ability to double jump made it slightly easier. I can't remember searching for rings just a special sword?

If there is a poll for best music in a video game then the GNG games should be right up there. The music when you die in Ghost n Goblins is just fantastic and brings back fond memories of a misspent youth. Damn. I want to play it now!

If there is a poll for best music in a video game then the GNG games should be right up there. The music when you die in Ghost n Goblins is just fantastic and brings back fond memories of a misspent youth. Damn. I want to play it now!

The original streets of rage music gives me the goose bumps!

Never having completed it in the arcades I was determined to finish it:) I thought the ability to double jump made it slightly easier. I can't remember searching for rings just a special sword?

You must be on about the GBA version? The PSP Ultimate Ghosts n' Goblins had you searching for rings. Super Gn'G and the GBA version with the excellent remix mode is brilliant, as good as the original.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Warren3

Bought Samarai Spirit 3 for the neo geo recently and it is soooo hard even on normal levels of difficulty

• Registered Users Posts: 34,448 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The Splatterhouse games.

Although that was just because the controls were absolute bollocks

Master of the Universe

Warren3 wrote: »
    Bought Samarai Spirit 3 for the neo geo recently and it is soooo hard even on normal levels of difficulty

God damn. You just reminded me I bought that & SSH 2 just before the PSU in my cab blew.

Excuse me while I go cry for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

all The Arcade Time Crisis games..Also..Resident Evil 3 Nemesis

Master of the Universe

Ah Time Crisis games aren't hard at all! You just need to work on your ducking ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I'm going to opt for Ghosts N' Goblins as well. If anything the only reason it's harder than Ghouls N' Ghosts is due to cheapness and slightly iffy collision detection.

There was a list done up by people who hold records in arcade games. I can't remember where I found it. Sinistar was number 1 anyway. Defender was in there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

Both Zelda Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy 7 were f'n difficult to beat first time with the water temple making me break at least 3 pads and stealing four long months of my life.

Both Zelda Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy 7 were f'n difficult to beat first time with the water temple making me break at least 3 pads and stealing four long months of my life.

Thats a different kind of difficulty, I was more talking this kind of difficulty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvnRBywkUZ0&feature=channel_page :D

You must be on about the GBA version? The PSP Ultimate Ghosts n' Goblins had you searching for rings. Super Gn'G and the GBA version with the excellent remix mode is brilliant, as good as the original.

It was definitely the psp version so it must have been rings.

o1s1n wrote: »
    The Splatterhouse games.

Although that was just because the controls were absolute bollocks

That was easy! I completed Splatterhouse with 3 lives (I believe you got an additional life after 100,000 points).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

It was definitely the psp version so it must have been rings.

Im absolutely love all the GnG games! I thought the PSP version was excellent. Play it in Ultimate mode and you'll be tearing your hair out just like in the originals. I thought the addition of magic and the new weapons/armours/shields and secret areas added greatly to the game. I've completed it about four times now and still go back! Other difficult games from the arcade for me would be Rainbow Islands, Defender, PacLand then on the C64 Wizball along with MANY others. Project X on the Amiga along with Wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The Simpsons arcade game.

My god that machine could swallow money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭djsim

ET on the 2600:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

djsim wrote: »
    ET on the 2600:D:D

Didn't that have a bug making it impossible to complete ?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Darr3nG

Wonderboy on the C64. There was one level where you had to time your jumps... Damn! Never did manage it.

The Ninja on the Master System... Only game I didn't finish on that console. It had terrible graphics, sound and gameplay. But oh, so addictive because I couldn't finish it!

Dont know about that jhegarty, but that was one game that I could never get. I remebered being suckered in by the adverts and I bought the game, what a load of crock:D

Oh, what about Top Gun on the NES, trying to land that god damn plane:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofM11nPzFo0

djsim wrote: »
    Oh, what about Top Gun on the NES, trying to land that god damn plane:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofM11nPzFo0

I thought it was brilliant when the angry videogame nerd was slagging the power glove off while playing top gun. He was there surding and swearing about how much of a piece of **** it was and then managed to land the plane while not even trying, his expression was priceless :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Advance Wars DS
    Soviet Strike - you have to cheat to finish the last level ffs.
    Super Mario 3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Soviet Strike was a total bastard alright. But then I never was much good at that series. It seemed like you absolutely needed a strategy guide to know what was going on.

Advertisement