Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheeky Beggers!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 shifon9

I get so angry at the beggers in Dublin, I walk 40 mins to work from the north to the south side, and i pass on average of 10 - 12 people begging. It feels like they are on every street along the route. Its not fair they can be so intimidating for a girl on her own, they just surround you in some parts. I will never give to them.. I recently was queuing to get into a gig at Vicar St, and there was literaly a gang begging. This one woman was roaring at the top of her voice "spare change" etc and everyone in the queue was just ignoring her - when it came to my turn to go past - she starting screaming at me "are you f**king mute" and i just couldnt help it out of sheer nervousness i said nothing and must have smiled cos i didnt know where to look - at which point i got a torrid of abuse - and for what! (Dont get me started on the luas stops). I been up to Belfast quite a bit in the last couple of years and I have yet to see a begger in the immediate city centre. Maybe they are there and Im not seeing them. So much so i was talking to a cabbie about it - he joked and said we have no beggers cos we knee cap them...now Im not suggesting I approve of this - of course I dont - but how can it be so different 100 miles up the road. Then you get off the Belfast train at Connolly - down to Luas - straight away the harrasment begins....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

shifon9 wrote: »
    I been up to Belfast quite a bit in the last couple of years and I have yet to see a begger in the immediate city centre. Maybe they are there and Im not seeing them. So much so i was talking to a cabbie about it - he joked and said we have no beggers cos we knee cap them - <nothing was said here> - but how can it be so different 100 miles up the road. Then you get off the Belfast train at Connolly - down to Luas - straight away the harrasment begins....
    You heard her everyone. Knee-cap the beggars:D

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

shifon9 wrote: »
    I get so angry at the beggers in Dublin, I walk 40 mins to work from the north to the south side, and i pass on average of 10 - 12 people begging. It feels like they are on every street along the route. Its not fair they can be so intimidating for a girl on her own, they just surround you in some parts. I will never give to them.. I recently was queuing to get into a gig at Vicar St, and there was literaly a gang begging. This one woman was roaring at the top of her voice "spare change" etc and everyone in the queue was just ignoring her - when it came to my turn to go past - she starting screaming at me "are you f**king mute" and i just couldnt help it out of sheer nervousness i said nothing and must have smiled cos i didnt know where to look - at which point i got a torrid of abuse - and for what! (Dont get me started on the luas stops). I been up to Belfast quite a bit in the last couple of years and I have yet to see a begger in the immediate city centre. Maybe they are there and Im not seeing them. So much so i was talking to a cabbie about it - he joked and said we have no beggers cos we knee cap them...now Im not suggesting I approve of this - of course I dont - but how can it be so different 100 miles up the road. Then you get off the Belfast train at Connolly - down to Luas - straight away the harrasment begins....

They pray on people being intimidated and shy and nervous. Especially women it seems. With everyone standing in the que for the gig you think someone would have politely told the knacker to shut her mouth or they'd devour them, this is what I mean by people not standing up for themselves and letting people ruin and spoil their night and being made to feel inferior by a piece of ****. Most Irish people are so fickle..
    and if I owned a business or premises and I had a crowd of knackers outside everyday then id pay the local heavies to get rid of them. exactly what happens in the north and rightly so..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

to be honest i find that the irish beggers usually leave me alone, it's the roma gypsies that annoy me.there's one woman who literally follows you halfway down the street shouting at you. just headwrecking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

This seems to be a good a place to ask as any but how do beggars acquire their location of work each day? Is it agreed between them or is it a matter of turf warfare? I see this one auld fella each morning who has a kick-ass spot on O'Connell Bridge right in the centre and it makes we wonder how long he was climbing the bum-ladder to get to such a great position.

The fella is there each day like clockwork, but one morning I recently I was going over the bridge and some Roma gypsie had taken his place. He was back the next day however to my relief. But the thing is,I wonder was she just warming his spot on a day-off or did he have to come back and fight her for it?

So if anyone here knows, could you tell me what is the politics of being a bum setting up their stall? I could ask the fella I suppose but most of these beggars are born liars and it'd probably be a waste of time.

• Advertisement

I wreckon they just put in the time of keeping the spot they have..

Like their hardly gonna go 'home' after a days work of begging seen as the streets is home for most of them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

i usually just walk ahead then take a big wad of 50s out and laugh at them.

In a recession ?, your one of those "bankers" are'nt you.
    Or else your a Civil servant?.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Try talking to them sometimes. Just because they're homeless, doesn't make them automatic liars. Some of them have really interesting stories!

I think there is some sort of hierarchy (like monkeys possibly), but I do know they seriously don't like Roma Gypsies, they give the beggars a bad name!

Some of them are dead sound. Then again, some are just w@nkers. Bit like everyone else really.

Try chatting to them, give them a can of cider or something, but do be careful, as some are robbing scumbags!

Advertisement