Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Bloggjoe wrote: »
    Hi all, heading to London in November for the first time to see a west end show. Can you tell me which is the best airport to fly into? Also, what would be the best area to stay in if main focus of weekend is the west end show? Thanks

Find a hotel in Zone 1 or 2. London has such great transport that nowhere is too far away. It depends on your budget. If you can afford it, then find somewhere around Green Park, Leicester Square, Hyde Park but they might be pricey. If you find a reasonable place anywhere in zone 1 or 2, then go for it. Tubes run until 12.30am at the weekend.

Use this site to check the distance from your show to your choice of hotel.

Alternatively, you could go Air BnB.

Regarding airport, Heathrow is closest (apart from City Airport but that's usually pricey). Gatwick (£20ish return) and Stansted (£33 return) are both accessible via 45 minute trains.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 FlickBean

Hey Bloggjoe, I'm heading over to the UK soon myself. Do you have any tips on converting euros to sterling? ie. the cheapest way to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Well, geographically, Heathrow is the "best", in that it's on the Piccadilly Line and many West End shows are near Piccadilly Line stations.

BUT <--this is a big 'but'! - you're probably better off using flights that are more convenient for you and working around those. You might even find that staying in Brixton or Wood Green works just as well.

It all really depends on your budget, how much time you have and what sorts of areas you feel comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I go to London regularly and my airport of choice having experience all of them and the commute in and out of London is Gatwick actually. Compared to the other London airports its inexpensive and the journey not too long. Unless you are prepared to bus it from the other airports you will be ripped off ie. the Heathrow Express and Stansted Express. You can take the tube from Heathrow but it's a 50 minute trip on the tube. I hate Stansted with a passion, stuffy overly warm place with rude staff, plenty of Essex attitude shall we say. Gatwick is the most value for money commute and stress free option in my experience using the non express train.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Strumms wrote: »
    I hate Stansted with a passion
    +1, and I feel almost as much hatred for Luton. There's something about airports which almost exclusively handle low cost airlines that breeds absolute pig ignorance.

If you must do Stansted, try and book the train 30 days in advance because the fare will be £15 return then. Failing that, get the coach to Stratford and use the tube/DLR/national rail from there.

My pick of the airports is in general London City, but it can be very expensive. Zone 4 on the DLR though and as quick as Shannon to travel through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Thankfully the Heathrow Express now offers cheaper advance fares if you book far in advance. £35 walk up fare is madness for a 15 min trip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

For the very cheap fares yes but they are even offering a £17.50 return if booked 30 days out. That's reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

For the very cheap fares yes but they are even offering a £17.50 return if booked 30 days out. That's reasonable.

Are there cheap Gatwick Express fares for advance booking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Are there cheap Gatwick Express fares for advance booking?
    The local Southern train takes 5-10 minutes longer if you get one of the fast ones and it's half the price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

athtrasna wrote: »
    The local Southern train takes 5-10 minutes longer if you get one of the fast ones and it's half the price

That'll do nicely for a leisure family weekend break. Thanks.

That'll do nicely for a leisure family weekend break. Thanks.

Just keep an eye out..try and get one that doesn't stop everywhere. Think every second one is short with two or three stops before Victoria. You can also get better deals on this train by booking early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Hi,

Looking for a hotel close to Terminal 2 (one that offers shuttle if possible). Any suggestions?

There's loads including Premier Inns have a look on booking.com for whatever price you can afford for your dates. None at T2 but some at T4 and T5 (both accessible by free train from T123 station), and the rest are on the perimeter, access by hotelhoppa shuttle buses. There is a charge though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Also good to know that any of the Hotels along Bath Road within the perimeter can be accessed for free on the normal double decker buses from the central bus station - walkable from T1-3 - Park Inn, Holiday Inn, Radisson, Rennaisance, Etc
    Think bus number 111 is the most regular.

https://www.londontoolkit.com/lhr/heathrow_local_buses.htm

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Also good to know that any of the Hotels along Bath Road within the perimeter can be accessed for free on the normal double decker buses from the central bus station - walkable from T1-3 - Park Inn, Holiday Inn, Radisson, Rennaisance, Etc
    Think bus number 111 is the most regular.

https://www.londontoolkit.com/lhr/heathrow_local_buses.htm

This ^

I've stayed several times in the Radisson on Bath Road and really really good. Bus stop as suggested above is 1 minute walk from the front door. Also stayed in the Jury's Inn closer to Hatton Cross which has a bus stop outside also and is in walking distance to Hatton Cross tube station

This ^

I've stayed several times in the Radisson on Bath Road and really really good. Bus stop as suggested above is 1 minute walk from the front door. Also stayed in the Jury's Inn closer to Hatton Cross which has a bus stop outside also and is in walking distance to Hatton Cross tube station

Yes, I stay in the Radisson all the time and they have great rates. I often stay there as a base for central London weekend visit if I'm feeling frugal and in the mood to handle the 50 min tube ride in and out. Being on the Piccadilly line to and from Heathrow means you can get back even after a late finish in central London and of course using an Oyster card with capped daily limits makes it cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hi all,

I'm travelling over on Sunday and stopping very close to Victoria Station in London.

I'm just wondering if anyone would know the quickest/cheapest way to get from Gatwick to Victoria (and back the next day)? From doing a bit of research it seems my 2 main options are:

1) Gatwick Express (train) - travelling every 30 minutes (due to engineering works on the line) - journey time takes around 30 minutes. Price for a next day return is around €43.

2) National Express (bus) - travelling ~ every 15 minutes. Journey takes an average of 90 minutes. Price for a return ticket is around €20.

Any others I have missed or any advice?

Thanks all. :)

Not sure what effect the engineering works are having but when I fly into Gatwick I take the non express train to Victoria. It's about 10 minutes longer as in journey time from the express train but significantly cheaper. You can get your ticket from one of the many machines at Gatwick Airport train station.

Not sure what effect the engineering works are having but when I fly into Gatwick I take the non express train to Victoria. It's about 10 minutes longer as in journey time from the express train but significantly cheaper. You can get your ticket from one of the many machines at Gatwick Airport train station.

This. The train company is Southern and you can often get discounts by prebooking online. I never take the Gatwick express.

• Advertisement

Same here, take the Southern train (provided it's not affected by the engineering works).

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

^Thirded, Gatwick Express is basically a scam to fleece the tourists. Leave plenty of time for the ticket machines at the airport though, a ridiculous number of people seem to lose around 50 IQ points when standing in front of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Thanks all. I'll go for the Southern Rail option and just get my ticket on the day as I'm unsure exactly what time I'll be there at. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

athtrasna wrote: »
    This. The train company is Southern and you can often get discounts by prebooking online. I never take the Gatwick express.
    Poochie05 wrote: »
    Same here, take the Southern train (provided it's not affected by the engineering works).

Since 2008, GAtwick Express has effectively been a sub brand of Southern and has no priority in the event of engineering works or disuption. Personally, I would only use it if travelling at peak times with a lot of luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tcooley

Hi all,

I'm going into Gatwick next week from Shannon. Southern rail UK is quoting me £22 for a return ticket to Victoria Station. The express is $31. Would I get tickets any cheaper at the airport or should I just buy now?

Cheers.

As far as I know it will always be more expensive to buy tickets on the day of travel, so if you know when you're travelling it's better to buy in advance in terms of price.

For me the disadvantage of buying in advance is you have to pick a specific train time, so if you're not sure how long it will take you to get off plane, collect bags and get to station so you need to allow some leeway on time, which is a waste if you get out in jig time and could have been on your way earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Where in London are you going to?

Thameslink are cheapest, followed by Southern

Avoid Gatwick Express unless you are travelling with much luggage, as the Southern services take only 2-4 minutes longer.

Thameslink will take you to Blackfriars, City Thameslink, Farringdon and St Pancras.

There is advance single on Southern for £11 single, but if you are going on a day trip the normal cheap day return fares are cheaper. The normal anytime single fare is £15.30.

There are no advance tickets on Thameslink, but an anytime single (available on the day) to Blackfriars is only £10.20, and an anytime return is £19.40. If travelling at the weekend they have a super off-peak single for £7.90.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There's also the easybus option, if you're not in any rush and on a budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

lxflyer wrote: »
    Where in London are you going to?

Thameslink are cheapest, followed by Southern

Avoid Gatwick Express unless you are travelling with much luggage, as the Southern services take only 2-4 minutes longer.

Thameslink will take you to Blackfriars, City Thameslink, Farringdon and St Pancras.

There are no advance tickets on that route on Southern or Thameslink. Best to just buy on the day.

Not true I got a one way ticket with southern for 5 pounds one way advance purchase that was 2 years ago i looked up for a month from now and you can get an advanced ticket on southern for £11.00

• Advertisement

OP. mentions they have a quote of £22 return for advance purchase with Southern

Advertisement