Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,899 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

This work was completed in April 2015, so they are not "at this moment are spending literally millions of pounds upgrading their airside facilities for passengers".

I have been to Stansted since this work has been completed, have you?

The work on phase 2 yes. However it's on ongoing project with phase 3.. well you can google that yourself. I am at a loss from several posts of your back as to why you are posting or what you are trying to say on the subject aside from arguing and trying to provoke others into a pissing contest... :rolleyes: but I am sure you are a hell of a guy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,577 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Where did I imply that I consider basic standards to be too much?!

Of course I expect service to be professional, staff to be polite and facilities to be adequate.

I have been to Heathrow, Gatwick & Stanstead many times and each one has been perfectly fine, with everything I needed for my visit.

Stanstead is being made out to be some shed in the middle of nowhere with angry staff who hate the passengers. This is simply not true.

That's a somewhat different response to your earlier post:

Having "expectations", especially these days when travel is no longer a luxury is, IMO, naive.

which was a response to a post stating:

Strumms wrote: »
    To expect a level of comfort, service, politeness and decent amenities is not asking for much exactly.

Apologies if I got the wrong impression from that, but it did suggest to me that you seemed to think that what Strumms was suggesting was asking for too much.

Anyhow, getting back specifically to London airports, I can't comment upon Stansted as I've not used it in some time, but as before I would suggest that the choice of airport really is down to where in London someone is travelling to - people really need to think more about where they are travelling to rather than simply looking at the cost of flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

The work on phase 2 yes. However it's on ongoing project with phase 3.. well you can google that yourself. I am at a loss from several posts of your back as to why you are posting or what you are trying to say on the subject aside from arguing and trying to provoke others into a pissing contest... :rolleyes: but I am sure you are a hell of a guy ;)

Phase 2 is the final phase of the improvements

http://www.dfnionline.com/latest-news/retail/stansted-unveils-brand-line-final-phase-transformation-21-09-2015/

And now you attack the poster rather than the post?! :rolleyes:

Uneducated?! Indeed... :o

Phase 2 is the final phase of the improvements

http://www.dfnionline.com/latest-news/retail/stansted-unveils-brand-line-final-phase-transformation-21-09-2015/

And now you attack the poster rather than the post?! :rolleyes:

Uneducated?! Indeed... :o

The wording on that 'media article' is slightly misleading. Go to the Stansted airport site. In fact look at the timeline for the completion of the project . Actually they were still doing some work on it 6 days ago when I was there. ;) . If you are just going to get involved again in a pissing contest via some spurious google links ? good man, well played sir, well played. :pac:

The wording on that 'media article' is slightly misleading. Go to the Stansted airport site. In fact look at the timeline for the completion of the project . Actually they were still doing some work on it 6 days ago when I was there. ;) . If you are just going to get involved again in a pissing contest via some spurious google links ? good man, well played sir, well played. :pac:

FFS you linked the article that states the project is completed. You linked it.

You said there was a Phase 3. There isn't.

You said Stansted was "awful". It isn't.

It's obvious you don't know what you are talking about.

• Advertisement

FFS you linked the article that states the project is completed. You linked it.

You said there was a Phase 3. There isn't.

You said Stansted was "awful". It isn't.

It's obvious you don't know what you are talking about.

I linked it as you questioned the fact that Stansted was undergoing investment and you couldn't bother googling it and that was the first link I saw referencing the completion of phase 2.. it is still an ongoing project... if you are interested in finding out more contact them yourself.

Stansted is awful in my view, others have agreed and set out their reasoning, if you hold a different opinion that's fine :)

If I don't know what I am talking about I don't know where that leaves you ;)

If I don't know what I am talking about I don't know where that leaves you ;)

What age are you? 5?!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭JimboJones99

Hi,

Myself and my wife are heading to London for 2 nights in April. Whilst we have been there before, this is the first time on a leisure break.

We are staying just off Oxford street. Has anyone any recommendations for things that we should definitely see/do?

Also where should we head to sample the nightlife? Not looking for a mad session but we still want to get a taste of the atmosphere.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Sorry to Hi-Jack your thread but I'm interested in some advice myself as me and the wife heading this weekend.

I'll let you know how I get on but I wanted some advice if anyone else can help.

Herself wanted to go see Les Mis but didn't realise how hard tickets are to get online. Only a couple left for the weekend and they are very expensive. She said that we would just book another show but I was wondering beofre I did this if anyone knew if we went to the theatre would there be tickets on sale at a reasonable price?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bridgetown1

Thanks for the hotel suggestions!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Hi folks...would love to bring my 14 year old daughter. She has always wanted to go. Just her and I. The flights are cheap enough but the accommodation is astronomical!! Any recommendations?? pretty central, nothing too fancy but obviously not a knocking shop!! cheers folks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

There's a London megathread at the top of this forum that might help.

When I go over to London for work I stay at the Z Hotel Soho. It's a pod hotel, but it's pretty cool. Rooms are tiny, but they're okay for a night or two. As a base to explore London, it's ideal. Leicester Sq., Oxford St., Picadilly Circus are all within a couple of minutes walk. Easy to get there from either Heathrow or City Airports too (actually City is perfect!)

Perfect...thanks a mill:pac:

https://www.airbnb.ie/s/London?checkin=18-04-2016&checkout=20-04-2016&guests=2&room_types%5B%5D=Private+room&ss_id=g2r46qts#

Folks, anyone have any experience of the above? Looks like private rentals in London...cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

If it's just you and your daughter maybe one of the Youth Hostels would be the way to go?
    They've a sale on at the moment
    With up to 33% off beds and rooms at a huge range of hostels between March and September, get ready to explore more! Book your brilliant break before 31st January using the promo code below to bag up to a third off in our best ever January Sale.
    NY2016-001
    http://www.yha.org.uk/special-offer/january-sale?utm_campaign=6630739_January%20Sale%20-%2006.01.16&utm_medium=email&utm_source=YHA%20%28England%20and%20Wales%29&dm_i=1N6K,3Y4B7,K1JAIM,E8OK9,1

They have a number of decently located London Hostels with private rooms.

EDIT: APOLOGIES, this offer is only for certain hostels, none of which are in London! Still Hostels are a decent option in London even without this 33% off!

Thanks schemeing...I'm a bit way of hostels with my daughter..would have no problem on my own mind you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

well there's good availability for family rooms in Oxford Street in March, and good value too.

http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/london-oxford-street

• Registered Users Posts: 28,906 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If you've no particular dates in mind try University Rooms.

We got a fantastic deal in Imperial College in S Kensington a few years back but you need to be flexible with your timing.

Also stayed in universities in Oxford and Cambridge, they're great value if the timing suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Hi folks...would love to bring my 14 year old daughter. She has always wanted to go. Just her and I. The flights are cheap enough but the accommodation is astronomical!! Any recommendations?? pretty central, nothing too fancy but obviously not a knocking shop!! cheers folks

Tune Hotel group have a few central locations.
    Reasonably priced but you pay extra for virtually everything except the beds!! (TV, wifi, towels, etc) Small rooms but decent reviews on Tripadvisor. Considering them myself for a quick trip over next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Sorry to Hi-Jack your thread but I'm interested in some advice myself as me and the wife heading this weekend.

I'll let you know how I get on but I wanted some advice if anyone else can help.

Herself wanted to go see Les Mis but didn't realise how hard tickets are to get online. Only a couple left for the weekend and they are very expensive. She said that we would just book another show but I was wondering beofre I did this if anyone knew if we went to the theatre would there be tickets on sale at a reasonable price?

Its well worth going to see but it seems to sell out every saturday.
    I went to see it a few weeks ago on a friday night and it was sold out that night and sold out the saturday night as well. If I could have gone and saw it again I would have too. To rub salt into the wound i bought it that morning for 45 pounds :P
    The matinee sells out as well.

Theatre tickets at discounted rates can be got at leicester square on the day, so you can see something cheap, but les mis doesn't seem to feature to often as its just so popular.

however you could get her tickets to the show for valentines day and bring her in march.
    Gives you enough time to save and shows you put some thought into it/listened. Isn't that what women give out to us for all the time, not listening enough :pac:

• Advertisement

Forgive my ignorance folks...believe it or not, have never been to London!! My daughter wants to go in May, just her and I. I was looking at a travel lodge in Kingscross. Would that be handy for Madame Tussauds, the London Eye, Oxford Street...these are the main interests for her!! We would just like to wander around, rather than tubing it, if you know what I mean!! Cheers folks x

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You can walk very easily to Madame Tussauds from there - straight shot down the Euston road! Bit further to Oxford Street but still very doable.

It's very handy for transport links given that so many tube and national rail lines pass through there, but probably not ideal for being walking distance to some of the more central attractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Contactless/Oyster is now accepted on the train from Gatwick into London and vice versa. Big incentive to pick up an Oyster card in advance if you're coming over as it'll save a lot of time (queues to even collect train tickets at Gatwick is the one thing I hate about that airport) and money (£14 peak/£8 offpeak - that's nearly half what i currently pay to Cricklewood).

Doesn't work with Gatwick Express though, so don't get caught out thinking it does.

Going through Gatwick next week, will update on how contactless goes for me.

Forgive my ignorance folks...believe it or not, have never been to London!! My daughter wants to go in May, just her and I. I was looking at a travel lodge in Kingscross. Would that be handy for Madame Tussauds, the London Eye, Oxford Street...these are the main interests for her!! We would just like to wander around, rather than tubing it, if you know what I mean!! Cheers folks x

As the previous poster said its a great spot, very central and excellent connections transport wise. To be honest if you haven't been to London before you might be better off re appraising the idea of just walking everywhere. it's a very big city and in my own experience if you are doing the tourist thing maybe not as walk-able as in from attraction to attraction as other places like even Paris in terms of time, distance and also energy. Definitely look at getting an Oyster card.

It is a nice city to walk around don't get me wrong but just a very big city to rely on your feet to get you everywhere imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,577 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Well worth playing around with google maps, searching for the hotel and then using the directions facility for the various places you want to go to - it gives walking times and public transport options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Buses are so frequent and plentiful in that part of London, you could just randomly leap on one (with your Oyster of course!) and off again while walking around. Buses are a great way to get the feel of a city. Try to get front seats on the top deck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Contactless/Oyster is now accepted on the train from Gatwick into London and vice versa. Big incentive to pick up an Oyster card in advance if you're coming over as it'll save a lot of time (queues to even collect train tickets at Gatwick is the one thing I hate about that airport) and money (£14 peak/£8 offpeak - that's nearly half what i currently pay to Cricklewood).

Doesn't work with Gatwick Express though, so don't get caught out thinking it does.

Going through Gatwick next week, will update on how contactless goes for me.

It does work for GAtwick Express but obviously ends up with the higher price!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Hi,

Myself and my wife are heading to London for 2 nights in April. Whilst we have been there before, this is the first time on a leisure break.

We are staying just off Oxford street. Has anyone any recommendations for things that we should definitely see/do?

Also where should we head to sample the nightlife? Not looking for a mad session but we still want to get a taste of the atmosphere.

Thanks

Just an update as the wife and I returned from a great trip to London.
    Things we did that we enjoyed was Madam Tussards, Oxford Street shops, Walk around Harrods, Les Mis show and Coveant Garden.

Things that we weren’t too fussed on Bus tour (bit cold and slow if your hopping on & off), nightlife (but don’t think we picked correct places)
    I would recommend getting the oyster card/travel card and taking the tube around any attractions as its quick and you pick which ones you want to go to and just go.

One particular tale of woe we had was on Friday night in Leicester Square. We had tried to get somewhere to have a few cocktails in a bar and had looked up a place online and realised that it had good reviews so went to it. Wasn’t much of a queue and the wife and I had just arrived after 1 or 2 drinks elsewhere. We had to line up at barriers where we were stared at up and down I presume to see if we were sober enough for entry (fair enough). Got past this check then I was frisked and wifes handbag was searched (fair enough). At this stage I thought we were good to go and got to door where we were going to have to pay £10 each in and I asked the doorman if it was a nightclub because we didn’t really want that and he informed me that it was a bar downstairs and nightclub upstairs but you had to pay for both. Wasn’t really in the mood to pay in to a bar but I was willing to give it a go. He then asked for ID and at this stage I’m getting severely pissed off at the whole thing but I thought fair enough if they need to verify our age.

So I take out my wallet and show him my license and then he said take it out I need to scan it – At this stage I asked him what he was scanning it for and he told me he needed it for their database. At this stage I told him I wasn’t comfortable with someone I didn’t know scanning my license for their database. I thought possibly we could have had some sort of agreement to just let my wife and I in. But he laughed and said whats wrong with you are you convicted criminal or what and his friends found this hilarious so as they were looking for £20 for the pleasure of our company I decided to walked away only be grabbed by what looked like the manager outside the door pleading with me to come back in. So we went spent our money elsewhere.

Maybe this is typical of London but I didn’t like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Heading to London in a few weeks, and just realised my Permanent TSB debit card is contactless. Anyone had experience of using their contactless cards on the tube? I have an Oyster card with a few quid on it, but if I can use my debit card when that runs out, it'd be preferable to topping it up.

ETA: Actually, just noticed the small print on my PTSB card
    Also, as a security measure, you can only make a maximum of 3 Contactless transactions in a row or spend up to €45.
    The would imply to me that after using my card for 3 journeys, I'd be stuck, as there's no way of entering a PIN on the card reader. Shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭JimboJones99

Just an update as the wife and I returned from a great trip to London.
    Things we did that we enjoyed was Madam Tussards, Oxford Street shops, Walk around Harrods, Les Mis show and Coveant Garden.

Things that we weren’t too fussed on Bus tour (bit cold and slow if your hopping on & off), nightlife (but don’t think we picked correct places)
    I would recommend getting the oyster card/travel card and taking the tube around any attractions as its quick and you pick which ones you want to go to and just go.

One particular tale of woe we had was on Friday night in Leicester Square. We had tried to get somewhere to have a few cocktails in a bar and had looked up a place online and realised that it had good reviews so went to it. Wasn’t much of a queue and the wife and I had just arrived after 1 or 2 drinks elsewhere. We had to line up at barriers where we were stared at up and down I presume to see if we were sober enough for entry (fair enough). Got past this check then I was frisked and wifes handbag was searched (fair enough). At this stage I thought we were good to go and got to door where we were going to have to pay £10 each in and I asked the doorman if it was a nightclub because we didn’t really want that and he informed me that it was a bar downstairs and nightclub upstairs but you had to pay for both. Wasn’t really in the mood to pay in to a bar but I was willing to give it a go. He then asked for ID and at this stage I’m getting severely pissed off at the whole thing but I thought fair enough if they need to verify our age.

So I take out my wallet and show him my license and then he said take it out I need to scan it – At this stage I asked him what he was scanning it for and he told me he needed it for their database. At this stage I told him I wasn’t comfortable with someone I didn’t know scanning my license for their database. I thought possibly we could have had some sort of agreement to just let my wife and I in. But he laughed and said whats wrong with you are you convicted criminal or what and his friends found this hilarious so as they were looking for £20 for the pleasure of our company I decided to walked away only be grabbed by what looked like the manager outside the door pleading with me to come back in. So we went spent our money elsewhere.

Maybe this is typical of London but I didn’t like it!

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I'd say we will probably end up visiting most of those sights.

Sorry to hear about your Friday night, you were dead right not to bother going in there in the end. I will definitely try and avoid any of that nonsense!

Advertisement