Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭tom_k

Hi all,

I'm hoping for some driving advice - we need to drive from Stansted Airport to Wimbledon. The trip will be undertaken midweek at approx 2pm. Google maps is suggesting using the M11 into London and crossing the Thames at Tower Bridge. We'd prefer to avoid central London and traffic congestion and congestion charge if possible. I can drag the route on Google maps for an alternative e.g. using the M25 or Dartford Tunnel but would like a recommendation on the most hassle free route.

Fuel costs are not really an issue for us, we'd like the quickest route if possible.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Any advise on where to stay near Soho? Reasonable hotel prices and a short walk from Leicester Square area.

It can be somewhere else just to have easy access to bars/clubs etc

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

If it's for no more than a couple of nights, I strongly recommend the Z hotel in Soho. Relatively cheap for where it is, although rooms are tiny - hence my saying if only for a couple of nights.

When I travel to London for work, this is where I stay.

Added bonus, free cheese and wine in the evening. Nice way to kick of a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stuboy01

HI
    I'm heading to London's west end in September and looking for a recommendation for cheap accommodation in the area of the lyceum theatre.
    If anyone can suggest based on personal experience I'd appreciate. if anyone has an alternative that is convenient to a rail line I'd look at that too.

Cheers in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Hi all,

I'll be staying at a hotel at Battersea in London the following weekend with the girlfriend.

Any suggestions for what to do in the area? I've thought about the Army Museum, the park, maybe the art gallery. Can you go punting here? What are prices like?

I've also said we can get the 137 bus to Piccadilly to broaden our options.

Thanks,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Hi,

Flying into Stansted for 4 days with a friend on September 24th, finding it a nightmare to find any reasonable accommodation with the World cup being on.

Any recommendations? I'd be looking for something on a tight budget, I've been to Camden before and loved the buzz. Would like shops restaurants pubs clubs and the Tube within walking distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hi, whats the cheapest way to do this these days? I remember there was a Skyscanner style website for bus and rail that was very good but that was years ago now, want to get out there tomorrow week around 6pm from central London for as cheap as possible, bus or train...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Thargor wrote: »
    Hi, whats the cheapest way to do this these days? I remember there was a Skyscanner style website for bus and rail that was very good but that was years ago now, want to get out there tomorrow week around 6pm from central London for as cheap as possible, bus or train...

Is this the same trip as your sail/rail thread? If yes then specify Gatwick as final rail destination.

Otherwise, my recommendation would be either Sputhern from Victoria or Thameslink from Blackfriars or London Bridge. The bus/coach option is very hit and miss. At that time of day you will hit crap traffic in South London and the m23 can either be completely clear or backed up for an hour. I'd avoid that at all costs if you're heading for a plane. Trains are far from perfect but generally have more predictable patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

No sorting out travel for 3 different people today actually, more threads possibly to follow! :D

Thameslink looks perfect thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭clare82

Hi,
    Off to London soon, travelling with a child so am looking for the best way to get from Heathrow to city centre area. Friends recommend the Heathrow express but Internet says avoid like the plague....The tube is cheapest but apparently can take forever...then there's the Heathrow connect which I've only just had am look at and it looks pricey
    So do any of ye wise boardsies have any advice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

OP I always use the tube. Runs straight from Heathrow through Leicester Square.
    Depends on the age of the child though - a buggy and bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Tube takes about 45 minutes normal & 25 minutes express. Not worth paying the difference for IMO. Same track, same route.

If you get a prepay oyster card you'll pay approx 30% less (but could have funds left on card) You can also tag on and off with a contactless ATB card

Piccadilly line goes straight from the airport to Leicester Square. It will be busy and depending on the time of day it could be very busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

If you want an easy life, get on the tube in Heathrow, get off in Leicester Square.

If you want hassle, dragging suitcases, children, etc . . . around then get either Heathrow Express or Connect, get off at Paddington, drag child, suitcases, etc . . . through the station, change to another line, wait for the next train, get to another station, change train again, get to Leicester Square . . . probably an hour after the tube train that you could have got direct.

I know which one I would choose.

z

[edit] there *might* be a case for getting the Heathrow Express/Connect if you could get easily from Paddington to Leicester Square, but you can't - it will involve at least 2 tube lines. That rules it out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Yes, a whole lot easier to get the Tube. Also, Piccadilly Line trains have a bit more luggage space by the doors than other Tube lines if you need to park a large bag or buggy.

Ok the tube it is ! Thanks ppl. I have am oyster card so ill top that up at airport and ill be laughing

Thanks again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,342 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

As already stated by Zagmund above, the fact that the transfer from Paddington to Leicester Sq will involve two tube journeys (no common line joining the two stations) with the associated transfers up & down escalators with bags and a child makes it a total no-brainer - get the tube. Most of the journey is above ground so the child will be able to look out the window at west London, you go underground after Baron's Court.

I'm not sure what horror stories you read about the Heathrow Express, I've gotten it a few times and it's fine but it's expensive. You got positive recommendations for the express from friends but instead you're prepared to believe negative stuff you read from anonymous people on the internet :confused:

BTW: I think Leicester Sq is one of those tube stations with multiple exits like Oxford Circus so know which street you're heading for in order that you can take the correct exit from the station and won't have to cross busy streets with a kid and luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

clare82 wrote: »
    Ok the tube it is ! Thanks ppl. I have am oyster card so ill top that up at airport and ill be laughing

Thanks again :D

You didn't answer the earlier question about luggage and/or buggy?

Leicester Square is a deep level station and you will have to use an escalator and about 60 steps to get to street level.

No luggage really and a light stroller type thing.
    It was more the difference between the options I was confused about. I'd read nothing but negative stuff about Heathrow express so had my mind made up but then 2 friends recommended it so said I'd ask you ppl to see what ye say :) all good
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

clare82 wrote: »
    No luggage really and a light stroller type thing.
    It was more the difference between the options I was confused about. I'd read nothing but negative stuff about Heathrow express so had my mind made up but then 2 friends recommended it so said I'd ask you ppl to see what ye say :) all good
    Cheers

As long as you are okay with getting yourself and belongings up the stairs than Picadilly direct to Leicester Square is the simplest option. People struggling with luggage, buggys, babies is a big issue with stations on many of the deep tube lines, but mainly the piccadilly line with tourists who are not warned that most zone 1 stations are not suitable to lug large cases around. Particularly in rush hour when the regular commuters are less than patient with them.

I would say the main complaints about Heathrow Express are the price and Paddington not being very central, the service itself is very good. Heathrow Connect runs along the same route with intermediate stops so it is a bit slower and cheaper, unless someone else was paying I would go for that over the Express.

Getting to Heathrow is due to be transformed in 2018 when Crossrail replaces the Connect service with a much more frequent service directly through central London.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Going over to London to see U2 Monday 26th October with 3 mates,aged 38 to 40. Looking for ideas on arranging accomodation and info on late bars. We'll prob just stay in a cheap,handy hostel somewere near a few late bars. The plan would be to have a nice,few late drinks in late bars after the gig......and by late I mean 5am or thereabouts if theres any on a Monday night? We're all into decent music,indie/rock/alternative so no hardcore dance bars! Were would be the best location to stay in? Camden,Soho,Shoreditch??We dont know London at all so any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

O'Neills is your spot. Always had a good night there. Near Leicester Square or Picadilly Tube Stations.
    http://www.oneillswardourstreet.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi all,

I'm planning a family weekend break to London in March next for 2 adults and two kids aged 11 and 15. I can get cheap flights for less than €250 return for all 4 of us but I'm struggling to find a hotel. I'm looking for something like a Jury's Inn family room which has good basic facilities somewhere cental like Victoria (for access to Gatwick and as a good hub for getting around the city) but all I'm finding on Trivago and Hotels.com etc are glorified hostel/guest houses or higher end Hiltons charging €300 a night.

Found two options so far:-

1. The Premier Inn http://www.premierinn.com/en/checkHotel/LKEBAR/london-victoria which is coming in at €485 for a family room.

2. Travelodge (lot's of them) such as https://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/421/London-Central-Waterloo-hotel which is coming in at €283 for the three nights and looks like a serious bargain. I know the facilities are basic (not poor quality just no frills) but I've stayed in one before and it's a tick below the Premier Inn/Jury's/Bewley's type hotels but a €200 saving over three nights basically pays for (or goes a good bit towards) dinner in an Indian/Chinese/Greek/Italian each night we're there.

Does anyone here have a recommendation for anything other than Premier Inn or Travelodge? Perhaps something independent or part of a chain which don't share their rooms on the aggregation sites like Trivago and Hotels.com? I already checked Airbnb but flats/apartments are out of my budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Haven't stayed there myself but a Youth Hostel might be what you're looking for, have a look at this one.

http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/london-central

Gets very good reviews on Tripadvisor.

Haven't stayed there myself but a Youth Hostel might be what you're looking for, have a look at this one.

http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/london-central

Gets very good reviews on Tripadvisor.

Thanks, it looks great and if I was travelling alone or with my wife I'd be happy with it but with kids we'd want a family room which they have but it comes out more expensive than the Travelodge in Covent Garden - https://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/318/London-Central-Covent-Garden-hotel. Three nights for the four of us in a family room with free WiFi and early check-in came to £221 with Travelodge whereas a four person family room in the hostel was coming in at £352.

Thanks to this and other threads on here I got flights over and back plus accommodation in Covent Garden for two adults and two kids for €639 which is only €160 a head for four days in London. Very happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Stayed in the Travelodge in Covent Garden twice in the last few years and its grand. Excellent location too.

Gorgeous Indian restaurant just down the road and nice bar around the corner.

Stojkovic wrote: »
    Stayed in the Travelodge in Covent Garden twice in the last few years and its grand. Excellent location too.

Gorgeous Indian restaurant just down the road and nice bar around the corner.

Two absolutely must haves on any trip to London. Lived there for a few years in the 1990's and got a taste for both "Ale" (Lived near Young's Brewery in Wandsworth), Indian Restaurants and greasy spoons for brekkie :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bloggjoe

Hi all, heading to London in November for the first time to see a west end show. Can you tell me which is the best airport to fly into? Also, what would be the best area to stay in if main focus of weekend is the west end show? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

It all depends on budget. You could stay in the west end but it would be very expensive.

But the great thing about London is the tube so you don't really need to stay in the west end just because you are seeing a show. I usually to go London once or twice a year to see a show and typically stay in the Earl's court area. It is on the District and Piccadilly lines (which has stations in the west end) and a journey will take about 15-20 mins. I usually stay here www.thenadler.com (Kensington) which offer good discount for advance bookings. It is a 5 minute walk from Earl's Court station.

In terms of airport, either Stansted (Ryanair) or Heathrow (Air Lingus). Heathrow has the advantage of being on the same line (Piccadilly) as the hotel/area I mentioned above which is very convenient. For Stansted, you'll have to get the tube to Liverpool St station and than a train to Stansted (about 50-60 mins).
    If there isn't much price difference, I'd recommend Heathrow over Stansted if only for that convenience

Advertisement