Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭DoctorDre

Has anyone got the London Pass before? Is it worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Daisy03

A friend of mine stayed in the Collingham Serviced Apartments.

http://www.collinghamapartments.co.uk/

Not sure what there are like price wise but she said they were lovely and spacious.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭jt_dublin

Have you checked AirBnb? I just did some random dates in July for 4 people for an entire apartment up to €127 per night to see what comes up, and there seem to be plenty to choose from. You can also zoom out to see properties further out of the city. Hope this helps!

https://www.airbnb.ie/s/London--United-Kingdom?checkin=04-07-2014&checkout=08-07-2014&guests=4&room_types[]=Entire+home%2Fapt&price_max=127&sw_lat=51.46239118678287&sw_lng=-0.22330160968067503&ne_lat=51.57060040733077&ne_lng=-0.03928061358692503&zoom=12&search_by_map=true

JT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Longford Lass

As above folks, what are my cheapest travel options?
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Well, if I was going to Reading I wouldn't start at Gatwick - Heathrow would be a lot simpler.

Your best bet might be a bus to Heathrow and then another bus to Reading. I think they're pretty regular.

• Advertisement

Ideally I'd have flown into Heathrow, price of flight just too expensive though.
    Anymore constructive advise would be welcome folks.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

I can't find your question, but if you're looking to get from Gatwick to Reading there's a direct train. Takes about an hour I think. Check out NationalRail.co.uk and stick it into their journey planner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Anne Other

I know this is an old thread but I am looking into booking a trip to Legoland and would love all advice and tips offered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Travelling to London for 2 days soon and from what i'm reading the oyster card will work out cheaper (because of the caps) than a travelcard??

Will be traveling to Watford Junction too one day and it seems the oyster card can be used for this too?!

Any practical advice would be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Anne Other wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread but I am looking into booking a trip to Legoland and would love all advice and tips offered!

Get there early, make sure you see the main show.

How old are your kids? Are you planning on staying in the legoland hotel?

• Advertisement

I can't find your question, but if you're looking to get from Gatwick to Reading there's a direct train. Takes about an hour I think. Check out NationalRail.co.uk and stick it into their journey planner

Cheers Exiledelbows!
    Can I ask you from your experience is it cheaper to buy your ticket online or can I just buy it when I get there for same price?

I've checked and it doesn't look like it gets much cheaper than 17 pounds one-way. So it's not cheaper but it is handier. When you buy in advance you know exactly how much you're paying and you can collect a ticket from one of the machines in two minutes. You also don't need to be on a specific train if it's an off-peak ticket.

When you don't, the queues to buy a ticket in Gatwick are always lengthy, and the machines are nearly designed to make you buy a more expensive ticket than you need, especially when your next train leaves in three minutes and you've to make a split-second decision.

Pacifico wrote: »
    Travelling to London for 2 days soon and from what i'm reading the oyster card will work out cheaper (because of the caps) than a travelcard??

Will be traveling to Watford Junction too one day and it seems the oyster card can be used for this too?!

Any practical advice would be great!

Get an Oyster. The Travelcard and Oyster Cap prices are the same but with the Oyster you might save some money by not hitting the cap. Take for example your trip to Watford Junction. If you travel off-peak (after 9am and not 5-7pm on weekdays) then the trip there and back will only set you back 12 quid, while the off-peak cap is 16.40. As a trip to Harry Potter (which is brilliant btw) takes up most of your day, you may not hit the cap that day, therefore saving money.
    Of course, it only saves you money if you have time to return it and get your deposit back at the end of your trip (or keep it for next time).

On Watford Junction, there's a fast train (15-20 minutes) or slower Overground service from Euston. Both accept Oyster.

When we go they will be 8, 6, 4 and 3.

I don't know if we should stay at that hotel or not, it seems very expensive, but then again it could be worth it.

I know absolutely nothing about the place, which airport to travel from, the distance from airport to Windsor, if it would be better to sail or fly.......I am open to all opinions.

I am hoping to travel on a Saturday afternoon and return Mon / Tues in May.

I've checked and it doesn't look like it gets much cheaper than 17 pounds one-way. So it's not cheaper but it is handier. When you buy in advance you know exactly how much you're paying and you can collect a ticket from one of the machines in two minutes. You also don't need to be on a specific train if it's an off-peak ticket.

When you don't, the queues to buy a ticket in Gatwick are always lengthy, and the machines are nearly designed to make you buy a more expensive ticket than you need, especially when your next train leaves in three minutes and you've to make a split-second decision.

Thanks a million for taking the time to respond in such detail...very much appreciated.
    Great to know that I can book ticket online and then collect at one of the ticket machines. I'm going to do just that!
    Was a little nervous as they look for the specific train you intend taking. I'm sure this is just to figure whether its a peak or off peak ticket though and charge accordingly?
    Anyway, thanks again!

Thanks a million for taking the time to respond in such detail...very much appreciated.
    Great to know that I can book ticket online and then collect at one of the ticket machines. I'm going to do just that!
    Was a little nervous as they look for the specific train you intend taking. I'm sure this is just to figure whether its a peak or off peak ticket though and charge accordingly?
    Anyway, thanks again!

It's a bit of a plodder of a service and it gets busy, but it is handy. The trains don't run that often though, so sometimes it can be quicker to go in to Waterloo, up to Paddington and out to Reading, but it's a lot more hassle.

When we go they will be 8, 6, 4 and 3.

I don't know if we should stay at that hotel or not, it seems very expensive, but then again it could be worth it.

I know absolutely nothing about the place, which airport to travel from, the distance from airport to Windsor, if it would be better to sail or fly.......I am open to all opinions.

I am hoping to travel on a Saturday afternoon and return Mon / Tues in May.

The hotel looks good, but it is expensive.

Personally I would fly in to Heathrow and stay at the Travelodge in Windsor. That also gives you the option to see Windsor castle as well. Windsor is a real tourist trap and there's plenty to do in the evenings.

Your kids are the perfect age for legoland, they will have a great time. There are rides for each of those ages.

Look for offers, you can often get 2 for 1 deals and free kids places which will save a few quid. I used to find Sunday a good day to go as it gets quieter in the afternoons as the coach trippers head home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The hotel looks good, but it is expensive.

Personally I would fly in to Heathrow and stay at the Travelodge in Windsor. That also gives you the option to see Windsor castle as well. Windsor is a real tourist trap and there's plenty to do in the evenings.

Your kids are the perfect age for legoland, they will have a great time. There are rides for each of those ages.

Look for offers, you can often get 2 for 1 deals and free kids places which will save a few quid. I used to find Sunday a good day to go as it gets quieter in the afternoons as the coach trippers head home.

Any more tips Fred?

Wife declared today that we are going this year...was going to take in a couple of days in London too...maybe an airbnb?

mfceiling wrote: »
    Any more tips Fred?

Wife declared today that we are going this year...was going to take in a couple of days in London too...maybe an airbnb?

The reason I suggested the Travelodge is that it is 200m from one Windsor station and 400 from the other. They are both at the end of lines though, so no train noise.

It is 50 minutes to Waterloo or 40 to Paddington by train, so quite handy if you want to head in to the big shmoke for the day. I believe there is a shuttle bus to Lego land.

There are nicer hotels in Windsor, but nice comes at a price!

I should add, I've never stayed at that particular hotel, but I know Windsor like the back of my hand and the location is perfect. Trip advisor has comments about noise and I can believe that, it is right in the heart of the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 dkelly

I have visited Legoland Windsor numerous times and have went by boat and plane my advice would be

I think you need a car to get there, there are transport options but not as easy, the car is handy to pop out to for fresh clothes if needed
    If you fly then rent a car, flight price normally dictates airport, most are easy enough to get to legoland, M25 rush hours to be avoided.
    Heathrow is closest but Luton is not that far a drive and can be much cheaper.. Difference can cover the car rental
    I have never stayed in legoland hotel... does not look worth it, most hotels close are more expensive but not worth it, last visit I stayed in Slough
    The last few visits I have booked via http://www.budgetfamilybreaks.co.uk/ was cheapest at the time and you normally get a hotel with breakfast
    Book Priority parking only a few pound more but you will appreciate it at end of day and be there early, park 30 mins before park opens.
    The park main entrance will open early and they keep people in holding pattern just outside Star Wars miniland so be there about 10-15 mins before park opens.
    Walk down and go past all the rides on way down to main area and head to the popular rides first to avoid queues.
    If your going in summer, bring swimming gear, changing rooms are there and duplo valley great fun for all ages, there's lots of rides you will get wet on.
    Leave the minilands to end so when people are tired it keeps them amused.
    Don't forget for all the kids to get a driving license, there is a photo package which might work out cheaper for all the kids.
    They also have drinks option, you buy a legoland bottle and get free refills all day, can be great for hot days to get a fresh cool drink.

Visit London...madame tussauds/aquarium/london eye to name but a few

Enjoy.. a great place for kids of all ages and the adults.

If you do go for a car, Thorpe Park is only a 30min drive as well.

I am beginning to think my idea of going Saturday until Tuesday isn't leaving us enough time at all!!!!

I am beginning to think my idea of going Saturday until Tuesday isn't leaving us enough time at all!!!!

It all depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend.

You could spend a week there if you wanted. If you hire a car then Chessington and the Harry Potter parks are within reach as well.

Of you want to do a quick visit to Lego land and London, then you have plenty of time.

Gatwick is also within easy reach by the way, Heathrow is a 20 drive and Luton and Gatwick about an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

We're just looking at a similar type trip in early July.
    Thinking of possibly staying at the Lego resort hotel for 2 nights, then moving to another part of London so we can just go do the museums, Eye, Aquarium etc.

All in all a 5 day trip we're looking at.
    Anyone have any advice on a nice (cheap) hotel in the vastness of London that might suit? 2 adults, 2 kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Looking for general advice here from anyone in the know.
    Starting researching a trip for family in July....kids looking to take in Harry Potter studios and the Legoworld park in Windsor. Will probably base around Windsor for a night or 2 and get 2 full days in the park. Any recommendations on travelling from one to the other, places to stay etc would be appreciated....Please and thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I am moving to London very soon and was hoping to get as much as possible set up before I go.
    Is it possible to buy an oyster card before I go (I'm assuming that's the best option for travel around the city)? Is there a monthly travel card or am I better off using the oyster card as a pay as you go type of card
    What will I need to set up a bank account? Will I need proof of address?
    How often do you pay council tax, is it different from area to area or is there a flat fee?

Thanks for any help

For general moving to London advice you should probably check this thread on the London forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056947002

For Oyster Cards, pretty sure you can order them in advance here: https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/link/0005.do

You can start with Pay As You Go, then load a Travelcard onto it when you get a job/house and know what zones you'll be using regularly.
    Council Tax is monthly (but generally paid over 10 months - April to January) and amount varies depending on borough and the property you're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Their is one very helpful linkie right here from Bargain Alerts.

I've added it into the opening post in this thread also as this post may get lost in time :)

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 ColmColmColm

Hi,

I am looking for advice regarding the best rail/tube tickets to buy for an upcoming trip to London.

I am arriving on a Sunday morning and looking to get the train from Gatwick to London (Waterloo Station area). I will also do a few tube journeys (All in Zone 1) on Sunday.

On Monday I will also do a few tube journeys (All in Zone 1, starting after 9:30am) and then return to Gatwick from the Waterloo Station area.

Gatwick Express looks too expensive.

The above is for 1 Adult and 1Child (8 years old).

Many thanks!

Advertisement