Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Marcusm wrote: »
    It'd take you a lot longer than 15 minutes on the (inaptly named) Circle line as they'd have to go the long way around - the Circle from Paddington clockwise now terminates at Edgeware Road (ie there is no circle route). The Hammersmith and City is a possibility but that service is so hit and miss the Circle anticlock would be as likely to get you there!

I haven't done it for a year or so, but the journey to euston used to be pretty quick, but yes, it was the H&C not the circle.

Don't they both go from the same platform now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I haven't done it for a year or so, but the journey to euston used to be pretty quick, but yes, it was the H&C not the circle.

Don't they both go from the same platform now?

True it is the same platform (as it shares track) but at best H&C is a 6 per hour service which in LUL terms is pretty infrequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Arriving into Stansted on a Friday about 11.00am. We want to get into the city centre (London Bridge area) and am looking for recommendations as to the best (cheap and convenient) method of travel. From what I can see the bus would cost approx £15 each and takes 1 hr 15 mins while the train would be £24 (web duo offer) and takes 47 mins to Liverpool St. For the sake of an extra £9 would the train be better? Also consider that we may be a bit “delicate” on Sunday for the journey home. Do Ryanair sell train tickets on the flights or would the web duo offer be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

easybus takes 1hr 15mins to baker street and is between £5-8

http://www.easybus.co.uk/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Easybus is handy and good value compared to the Stansted Express train which is a bit of a rip off to be honest.

A jubilee line tube from Baker St will take you direct to London Bridge (6 stops).

Just a note on that - You're saying that you want to get to the city centre and mentioned London Bridge. Just making sure you're not making the classic mistake of confusing it with Tower Bridge. Many people do.

London doesn't have any single location that could be described as the City Centre.

Central London is commonly regarded as anywhere within zone 1 on the tube map, and it streches from the City across to Kensington about 4 miles away.

http://www.epok.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Tube-map-large.jpg

• Advertisement

easybus takes 1hr 15mins to baker street and is between £5-8

http://www.easybus.co.uk/

Those fares are each way.
    For my times it worked out a £16.49 return.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

cocoman wrote: »
    Those fares are each way.
    For my times it worked out a £16.49 return.

Terravision bus costs £11 return from stansted to Stratford, add a couple of quid on top for Liverpool street, takes about 10 mins longer than the train - at least it does to Stratford, I'd normally just hop the central line there

Lapin wrote: »
    Easybus is handy and good value compared to the Stansted Express train which is a bit of a rip off to be honest.

A jubilee line tube from Baker St will take you direct to London Bridge (6 stops).

Just a note on that - You're saying that you want to get to the city centre and mentioned London Bridge. Just making sure you're not making the classic mistake of confusing it with Tower Bridge. Many people do.

London doesn't have any single location that could be described as the City Centre.

Central London is commonly regarded as anywhere within zone 1 on the tube map, and it streches from the City across to Kensington about 4 miles away.

http://www.epok.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Tube-map-large.jpg

Going to London Bridge.
    Heading to Zone 1 which I would consider city centre.

Checked out easybus and it only works out £7.50 more for the train.
    Train is probably a rip off if you're travelling alone (£32.50 return :eek:) but not too bad for web duo.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

used the terravision on 2 occasions and found it pretty good... took bout 55 mins from stansted to liverpool st station, them bought 6 pound day tickets for the tube which where super, going to London in a few weeks time and this time using the nation express from stansted as they do a special offer of 2 for the price on 1 on a lot of the attractions in london that I want to go to ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Hi would anyone know of any decent pubs (Irish or otherwise) around the Paddington/Sussex Gardens/Edgware Rd area, or nearest to, that shows Ireland football games on TV? I'm in London on Friday night and I really don't want to miss the Ireland v Sweden game.

• Advertisement

check out the sherlock holmes bar in baker street... ..I think it's only one stop from edgeware road... a lovely bar...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

A 5 - 10 minute taxi trip from Paddington will take you to Kilburn.

While its not quite the 33rd county of Ireland like it used to be, there are still plenty of pubs there that will have the match.

I'd opt for The Coopers Arms.

Another few minutes up the road is Cricklewood.

The Crown there will have it.

The Number 16 bus from Edgware Road also passes both places. Sit on the right and you can't miss them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Waxy O'Connors can be decent for matches. It is a bit of a walk from Paddington though.

gebbel wrote: »
    Coming over for the weekend shortly with a few mates to take in a match at the Emirates. It's been left to me to find out about a couple of good pubs. Preferably late opening. Doesn't really matter where, we will be staying in Russell Square. Can I get a recommendation please? Thanks.

I know its a year ago but do you have any rcommendations for a group of friends heading over on Friday for a similar weekend?
    We'll be staying near London Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

Hi all,

Im attempting to find a nightclub for a Sunday night in London.

Our plan is out at 12 - 4 for the church in Clapham and then on to the slug in Wimbledon. I found the last time I done this in Sheperds bush the place started to die around 9/10.

Im pretty certain out of the 15 of us going some will last longer than this so can someone sort me out with a good late night spot on the Sunday that would suit a group of Irish lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭brookers

Hi, just wondering would any of you know of a really nice boutique style hotel that myself and two friends could stay in, central london, south ken, that kind of thing. we are three ladies in the 50ish age group but still a bit lively. a triple room that kind of thing, no more than 60 or 70 euros a night, for two nights. its just a pre christmas shop thing so dont want to spend loads. thanks very much for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

brookers wrote: »
    no more than 60 or 70 euros a night

Is that per head or per room? If it's per room then you can forget about Sth Ken.

per head thanks, so say for the the two nights it would be about 150 per person.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭josip

Per head you can probably also forget about a lot of South Kensington. London Hotels are ridiculously expensive from my experience.

This place is excellent, you didn't say when you plan to travel so I can't check their rates. The hotel is literally two minutes walk from Earls Court tube station which is on the Piccadilly and District Lines so you can get there direct from Heathrow and you can get the tube straight to the west end (Leicester Sq.) with no changes. I've stayed there every June for the past 4-5 years with a family group and we keep going back.

The rooms are small but it's absolutely spotless and the staff are excellent. The breakfast buffet is top class and they have free Wi-Fi and Irish newspapers. They don't overtly sell themselves to any specific nationality but through repeat business they seem to get a lot of Irish and German guests. Not cheap but well worth it. There's heaps of good pubs and restaurants in the area but the hotel itself is on a quiet street.

http://www.kkhotels.com/en/hotels/london/k-k-hotel-george/welcome/

• Advertisement

Thanks so much,that is exactly the type of hotel we are interested in. Will give them a call and see what kind of rate they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

coylemj wrote: »
    This place is excellent, you didn't say when you plan to travel so I can't check their rates. The hotel is literally two minutes walk from Earls Court tube station which is on the Piccadilly and District Lines so you can get there direct from Heathrow and you can get the tube straight to the west end (Leicester Sq.) with no changes. I've stayed there every June for the past 4-5 years with a family group and we keep going back.

The rooms are small but it's absolutely spotless and the staff are excellent. The breakfast buffet is top class and they have free Wi-Fi and Irish newspapers. They don't overtly sell themselves to any specific nationality but through repeat business they seem to get a lot of Irish and German guests. Not cheap but well worth it. There's heaps of good pubs and restaurants in the area but the hotel itself is on a quiet street.

http://www.kkhotels.com/en/hotels/london/k-k-hotel-george/welcome/

What kinda money you pay for a family room?

vicwatson wrote: »
    What kinda money you pay for a family room?

In London it all depends on timing i.e. which events are on in town, check their website for rates. I don't think that hotel does 'family' rooms.

Hi there, checked rates, they do a triple room for around 510 euros. I will give them a ring they might reduce it a bit. thanks again for recommendation, it looks really nice.

check out the premier inns... stayed in one two weeks ago, spotless, friendly staff, good food and very cheap....

Hi Anne, stayed in premier inn in belfast during summer and it was outstanding, unfortunately for the dates i wish to be in london they are booked out. By the way the room rate was 25 sterling in belfast, it was a massive room and fantastic beds......!!

Thanks again Coylemj, booked KK George this am, my friends are delighted. Got it for 500 euros for a triple for two nights, not bad for such a nice place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Just to add to accomodation on this thread The Strand Palace great location walking distance from Trafalgar, Covent Garden, The Mall, theatreland etc and great deals if you book.a room.with scaffolding outside ( they're currently cleaning the brick work) very friendly staff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MissCC

Hi,
    Have just booked Stansted Express return tickets via Ryanair website ... does anyone know where I get the actual tickets from? Should Ryanair email me a voucher, etc.?

Thanks a mill,
    CC

• Advertisement

Hi, this was sent to me a few days ago from the stansted express website, perhaps you should give them a call.
    The way Stansted Express customers travelling with Ryanair can buy train tickets is changing. From Saturday 5th October 2013 it will no longer be possible to book Stansted Express train tickets via the Ryanair website ryanair.com*. However, the full range of tickets are available online via the Stansted Express website stanstedexpress.com.

Advertisement