Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I was going to a concert in Wembley last year and stayed in the Premier Inn there for the whole weekend. Great location - five minute walk to the stadium and directly beside the tube station. Get either an oyster card or buy a full day ticket for the tube each day and you can easily get in and out of the city. There's not a whole lot in Wembley itself but with the tube it really doesn't make a difference.

What sort of rates was the premier inn like?
    And thanks everyone for the tips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Adamocovic wrote: »
    What sort of rates was the premier inn like?
    And thanks everyone for the tips

There's a London megathread on here with all the info you need

Thanks Ill give it a look

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Wembley Premier Inn worked out at around £300 for 4 nights for 2 people. This was December. It's a grand hotel, staff are nice. Sure what more could you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 modmo

Hi,
    We are thinking of going to London for the August bank holiday and was wondering can anyone recommend cheap accommodation.
    I've been searching the price comparison websites and it's working out very expensive.
    I know London is expensive anyway.
    I was even looking to rent an apartment but anything in our price range is booked up.
    Anybody got any ideas about staying in London on a budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Airbnb

Or look in the "london megathread" on the front of the travel forum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

yep, that's what I was about to suggest. My friends and OH have used Airbnb for many big cities, like NY, so I presume may be great for London too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Any one been down the East End, down around what would have been the Krays stomping ground for instance, is it worth going down there? Thanks in advance.

Also guys any views on the Premier Inn premium saver deal? No amendments, no cancellations etc. Price seems great but the amendments and cancellations thing sounds a bit scary ha, there shouldn't be any of us cancelling. People who have used the premium saver before it's worth it yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Also guys any views on the Premier Inn premium saver deal? No amendments, no cancellations etc. Price seems great but the amendments and cancellations thing sounds a bit scarer ha, there shouldn't be any of us cancelling. People who have used the premium saver before it's worth it yes?

Bit of a gamble as you say but sometimes the price is so low it's worth it. Got 2 nights @ Stansted Premier Inn a few months ago for £58

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Also guys any views on the Premier Inn premium saver deal? No amendments, no cancellations etc. Price seems great but the amendments and cancellations thing sounds a bit scary ha, there shouldn't be any of us cancelling. People who have used the premium saver before it's worth it yes?
    what could possibly be bad about it (edit: or scary)?
    You do know how good premier inn are? And how good (i.e. nice and friendly) the staff are? Its just a pity theres not more of them in Ireland and that they arent to be found on the continent at all.

They are more an inn or motel than a hotel. I.e. its nothing much more than a room for the night (and normally co-located with a gastro pub nearby so youre not even stuck for a bit to eat or breakfast). But seriously, what more do people want or need if on a short city break?

if you want to pay top dollar (pound!) and have a cancellable reservation then go do that.
    but its perfectly normal that for the best deals you have to make a committment to travelling.
    And that goes even for full service hotels like the Hilton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Booking a single hotel room(Park Grand London Kensington) for myself, for two nights in October(24th->26th) for 382.42, am I getting ripped off?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Booking a single hotel room(Park Grand London Kensington) for myself, for two nights in October(24th->26th) for 382.42, am I getting ripped off?

Which currency? And what room type? Breakfast?

enda1 wrote: »
    Which currency? And what room type? Breakfast?

€, sorry, 'Superior Double Room', don't know about breakfast.

I thought it was crazy, but I couldn't really see anything much cheaper that had similar quality. Was looking at the Ryanair white-labelled booking.com thingy when booking a flight- they are all at least €190 per night it seems. I assumed this is just how much 'proper' hotels in London cost? I would also be coming back to the hotel around 9pm at the latest anyway, so I would like a nicer place where I can relax properly a bit.

• Advertisement

I don't understand the Rigsby comment. Yes, I looked at TripAdvisor, seems legit to me.

It's in a fairly uninspiring location for such an inflated price I think. Also the non-room facilities are, at best, lacking. Bar looks uninteresting, no apparent lobby. No gym, pool, roof terrace or anything interesting. Seems like it's just a room and wifi job. But then the higher-end London hotel scene is diabolically expensive so what can ye do!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Mightn't be handy for you but I've stayed at the Apex Temple Court and it was fantastic, it's coming in at €160 a night for your dates

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g186338-d2539103-Reviews-Apex_Temple_Court_Hotel-London_England.html

And also here which is very handy for tube and just off high street kensington

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g186338-d193138-Reviews-Copthorne_Tara_Hotel_London_Kensington-London_England.html

Not as nice but pretty good still, same price.

Now I wouldn't particularly either (that said I've stayed in a couple of 5 stars in London for a steal) but a travelodge doesn't sound like what the OP wants. I'd be more inclined to take a nice AirBnB myslf and stay in zone 1. Also if here for a short weekend, it's an awful effort to have to trek out to Wembley every time you wanna go back to your hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Check out the Top Secret hotels on somewhere like lastminute.com too. Then at least you'll get location and a reputable hotel, but will pay a little less for it.

He already said he'd wanna be back for 9pm so wants a nice place :confused:

Personally when i visit a city I like to go back to the hotel for around 3/4pm for a bit of relaxing - drop bags etc. and shopping and have a shower and drink in the bar maybe or even a siesta before going out for dinner.

There is clearly a market for nice hotels - live and let live!

• Advertisement

Mightn't be handy for you but I've stayed at the Apex Temple Court and it was fantastic, it's coming in at €160 a night for your dates

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g186338-d2539103-Reviews-Apex_Temple_Court_Hotel-London_England.html

And also here which is very handy for tube and just off high street kensington

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g186338-d193138-Reviews-Copthorne_Tara_Hotel_London_Kensington-London_England.html

Not as nice but pretty good still, same price.

Many thanks, I will look into these. Actually, should point out, my main reason for going to London is to attend an all day event on the Saturday at Tobacco Dock. I considered a hotel closer to that(Indigo Hotel Tower Hill), but thought somewhere closer to the touristy/shopping area would be better off.

Advertisement