Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Where in London are you heading?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 patb

Sorted- have booked to Luton
    Thanks
    PB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

That would probably have been last on my list!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If time etc isn't so important Luton is fine. Not "best" by any means.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

biko wrote: »
    If time etc isn't so important Luton is fine. Not "best" by any means.

If you're not in a rush, and you book a bus in advance and get it cheaply it can be okay. Otherwise I don't think Luton is worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Luton airport is about 40-50 minutes on a train into London St. Pancreas, a coach would take longer I think.

For London city, there is London City airport, Gatwick and Heathrow, all of which would be easier than Luton.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Looking for the cheapest time for London hotels, am flexible between Sept and End of year, when is the best time to grab a bargain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

vicwatson wrote: »
    Looking for the cheapest time for London hotels, am flexible between Sept and End of year, when is the best time to grab a bargain?

Try Trivago for the best prices.- I thought that days inn hotel waterloo was the best price and best location - approx 100e per night for a double and looks to be in a good location as well.

Tune hotels are advertising as budget hotels - approx 70e per night I think but without a breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 barnabybear

vicwatson wrote: »
    Premier Inn has bargain rooms during the autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Luton airport is about 40-50 minutes on a train into London St. Pancreas, a coach would take longer I think.

For London city, there is London City airport, Gatwick and Heathrow, all of which would be easier than Luton.

Luton is really easy. The bus thing from the station is no hassle really, it's quick and easy to find. Similarly if you go by East Midlands trains it's no where near 40 minutes. I've been on a longer route on the same stretch of track from Bedford to St Pancras which is a lot further and it only took 35 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The train from Luton is a lot handier now since Parkway station opened and ideal if you're not lugging heavy baggage around. (Which most Ryanair passengers won't be doing anyway).

Flying into Luton with Ryanair is generally cheaper than Heathrow with Aer Lingus, BA or BMI and nearly always cheaper than London City Airport with Citijet.

Train fares from Luton are also cheaper than the rip off prices charged on the Stansted and Gatwick Express services. (Although there are other rail services from Gatwick offering much better value).

West Hampstead Station between Luton and Central London also offers connections to many parts of north, east and west London.

As a small airport, Luton is also a lot less hassle to move through than Heathrow and Gatwick.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Lapin wrote: »
    The train from Luton is a lot handier now since Parkway station opened and ideal if you're not lugging heavy baggage around. (Which most Ryanair passengers won't be doing anyway).

Flying into Luton with Ryanair is generally cheaper than Heathrow with Aer Lingus, BA or BMI and nearly always cheaper than London City Airport with Citijet.

Train fares from Luton are also cheaper than the rip off prices charged on the Stansted and Gatwick Express services. (Although there are other rail services from Gatwick offering much better value).

West Hampstead Station between Luton and Central London also offers connections to many parts of north, east and west London.

As a small airport, Luton is also a lot less hassle to move through than Heathrow and Gatwick.

Which train company is that from Luton airport? and is it far from the terminal to the station?

EDIT - Sorry found the info, for anyone that's interested -

Regular rail services to central London take as little as 21 minutes with East Midlands Trains and 25 minutes with First Capital Connect

Other destinations include the south coast, the Midlands and northern England.

A shuttle bus service operates to and from Luton Airport Parkway Station, this is normally a 10 minute trip from the airport terminal building. The service runs every ten minutes between 05:00 and midnight and also connects with all trains calling at Luton Airport Parkway overnight, please check train times for details.

Rail passengers will be able to purchase through tickets to London Luton Airport. Those passengers arriving at Luton Airport Parkway station without a through ticket to the Airport and who wish to use the shuttle bus will pay an Excess Charge of £1.60 each way if they arrive at the station by train.

Passengers arriving at the airport or at the station without purchasing a rail ticket will pay a bus fare of £1.60 single, £2.70 Standard Open Return (children pay half price), cash only, no credit/debit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Can anyone recommend cheap accommodation for 4 thirty something lads travelling on the weekend of Sept 13th ( Fri and Sat nights).
    Had a look at St Christophers Inn (hostel) which would be ideal but not available for all 4 of us.
    Is there anything else similar nearby or any other areas that people can recommend.
    We won't be attending too many art galleries or musicals.
    Footie and beers will be the priority :D
    Looking at a budget of approx €40 pppn.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Kayly

Just back from premier Inn, Leicester Square. Basic hotel but could not beat it for location. After looking at various forms of transport, and getting some advice here last week, we got the tube (Picadilly line) from Heathrow to Leicester Sq for £5.50 pp and no changes etc- cheap and straightforward. For west end shows and general sightseeing we found it a great location. The only tourist spot too far to walk to was the Tower of London. it was £75 pp per night- but the location saves money on tube/bus fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Looking for suggestions for a reasonable hotel in London for a couple.

Also, what to do while there besides big Ben and London eye and the obvious things. will prob be there Monday to Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

Hi, just wondering if anyone can recommend the best way to get from Gatwick Airport to the Premier Inn Tower Hill this Sunday? 2 Adults and a child. Looking for a balance between time and cost!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 barnabybear

Sound Bite wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if anyone can recommend the best way to get from Gatwick Airport to the Premier Inn Tower Hill this Sunday? 2 Adults and a child. Looking for a balance between time and cost!
    Train (not Gatwick express) from Gatwick to Victoria. District or Circle line from Victoria to Tower Hill. Very straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Train (not Gatwick express) from Gatwick to Victoria. District or Circle line from Victoria to Tower Hill. Very straightforward.

Easier would be FCC to London Bridge followed by either a short scenic walk or a £10 cab ride.

Or stay on the train for one more stop and get off at Blackfriars. Only 4 stops from there on the District Or Cricle to Tower Hill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

plenty to do in london.... check out the national express website... they have a special of 2 for 1 offers on a good few things to do there.... only down side you have to use the national express from airport...

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Tweej

Any suggestions for a good student hostel in central London, not too expensive, close to attractions, etc, for 2 days.

Thanks in advanced!

The Smart Hostel off Russell Square is fairly central and good value for the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

Marcusm wrote: »
    Easier would be FCC to London Bridge followed by either a short scenic walk or a £10 cab ride.

Did exactly this - very handy. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ssba91

Hi, I'm looking for some travel advice.
    I'm travelling to London In November, the hotel's situated in Camden.
    It's located near the King's Cross and Euston rail stations, so I was wondering if anyone knew which airport and travel route would be the best to take?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

ssba91 wrote: »
    It's located near the King's Cross and Euston rail stations, so I was wondering if anyone knew which airport and travel route would be the best to take?

Gatwick or Luton have direct Thameslink/First Capital Connect Trains to Kings Cross. go to nationalrail.co.uk and search for trains from Luton Airport Parkway or gatwick Airport to Kings Cross/St Pancras. For Luton, allow yourself a bit more time as train station is short bus ride from the terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Tweej wrote: »
    Any suggestions for a good student hostel in central London, not too expensive, close to attractions, etc, for 2 days.

Thanks in advanced!

Just booked this place

http://www.st-christophers.co.uk/london-hostels/london-bridge-inn

They are a chain and have a few places. Good reviews on Trip Advisor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Gatwick or Luton have direct Thameslink/First Capital Connect Trains to Kings Cross. go to nationalrail.co.uk and search for trains from Luton Airport Parkway or gatwick Airport to Kings Cross/St Pancras. For Luton, allow yourself a bit more time as train station is short bus ride from the terminal.

Or from Heathrow, train to Paddington and then Kings cross is only 15 minutes on the circle line.
    Or 10 minutes from Liverpool street if you fly in to Stansted or Southend. It is a very easy location to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Or from Heathrow, train to Paddington and then Kings cross is only 15 minutes on the circle line.

It'd take you a lot longer than 15 minutes on the (inaptly named) Circle line as they'd have to go the long way around - the Circle from Paddington clockwise now terminates at Edgeware Road (ie there is no circle route). The Hammersmith and City is a possibility but that service is so hit and miss the Circle anticlock would be as likely to get you there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

ssba91 wrote: »

Or from Heathrow, take the Piccadilly tube straight to King's Cross (no changes needed).

Advertisement