Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I'm shocked to hear the Abbey is £18.

I remember when it was free and its not all that long ago. The 90s at least.

Its well worth visiting given the amount of history attached to it but I don't think I'd pay that much.

London really has got very expensive in recent years. :(

The Shard is £25 when booked in advance, but again I think thats a bit too much to pay to look out a window, especially given the unpredictable nature of London's weather. The view from the Eiffel Tower in Paris is higher up and costs half the price.

I did the cable car a couple of months ago and for £3.20 with an Oyster it isn't bad value although the trip only lasts a few minutes. There are great views of Canary Wharf and the East End from it though.

Walking along the roof of the Millennium Dome doesn't appeal to me at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The walk over tower bridge is still one of the best views of London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Three of us will be in London for a Tuesday in a couple of weeks. Two of the lads have never been so wanted to catch a few of the sights before going to a Premier league game that evening.

I'm thinking of the following:

Arrive in Victoria about 2pm
    Walk to Buckingham Palace for a look
    Walk/Bus to Westminster Bridge
    Walk up Whitehall to Trafalgar Sq
    Pass by St Martins in The Field Church
    Onto Covent Garden for drinks and a look at street performers

Just wondering if anyone would recommend any pubs (outdoor especially), eateries or anything else along the way?

Or is there anything else of note that we could catch along the way?

Also, I always forget how the Oyster Cards work - do they work work for tubes and buses, almost hop-on-hop-off? Are they worth it or is a day pass better?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Myself, wife and three kids (15, 6 and 3) are planning a trip to London for a week in mid-July. We'd prefer to stay in an apartment rather than a hotel as we did this last year in Barcelona and it worked out well. Only thing is London apartments seem to be very expensive. I'm getting prices starting at around 1,000 euro a week for anywhere even half decent. Just wondering is this the norm for London or is it just the fact that it's high peak season or what?

We got a nice apartment in Barcelona for 600 a week and I'm aware that accommodation there would be cheaper than London but I still thought I would get something decent for under a grand. Any tips/recommendations appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jocelynel

have you tried housetrip or airbnb or perhaps holiday lettings

july / august is peak, but you might get somewhere on a tube route a little bit outside london a bit cheaper. we pay £700 every august for a house in bristol, same house is £300 in october!

• Advertisement

kcb wrote: »
    Three of us will be in London for a Tuesday in a couple of weeks. Two of the lads have never been so wanted to catch a few of the sights before going to a Premier league game that evening.

I'm thinking of the following:

Arrive in Victoria about 2pm
    Walk to Buckingham Palace for a look
    Walk/Bus to Westminster Bridge
    Walk up Whitehall to Trafalgar Sq
    Pass by St Martins in The Field Church
    Onto Covent Garden for drinks and a look at street performers

Just wondering if anyone would recommend any pubs (outdoor especially), eateries or anything else along the way?

Or is there anything else of note that we could catch along the way?

Also, I always forget how the Oyster Cards work - do they work work for tubes and buses, almost hop-on-hop-off? Are they worth it or is a day pass better?

That sounds like a perfect way to kill a few pre-match hours. No need for a bus from Buckingham Palace to Westminster. A short and leisurely walk through St James's Park will take you out at Horse Guards Road at the back of Downing Street and just around the corner from Parliament Square.

The Red Lion pub in Whitehall is one of my favourite pit stops in the area. Its a nice place to enjoy pint outside and being the Prime Minister's local, you never know who might pass by!

When you get to Covent Garden there are no shortage of places to eat and even more in the neighbouring Soho and Leicester Square areas. I reckon people are better off deciding on the day what they want rather than trying to plan weeks ahead when it comes to food, but there is something to suit every taste in this part of town.

If you're only visiting London for a day, a one day Travelcard is handier than an Oyster as it doesn't require a deposit. An off peak travelcard for zones 1 and 2 costs £7.30 and is valid on all tubes, buses, Docklands rail and British Rail services within those zones after 09.30.

Although if the match is in Upton Park or White Hart Lane you'll need a travelcard for zones 1-4 (£8), as both grounds are further out from Central London.

Enjoy the match !

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

Hey all need advice regards luggage! I'm heading to london on Thursday with my mother but I am unsure whether to bring to mini suitcases as carry on luggage or book in a suitcase? It's 40 return for the suitcase which is quiet a bit but we do plan in shopping so I'm not sure what to do? Any advice from anyone who has been through this before? Thanks in advance

QueenBee1 wrote: »
    Hey all need advice regards luggage! I'm heading to london on Thursday with my mother but I am unsure whether to bring to mini suitcases as carry on luggage or book in a suitcase? It's 40 return for the suitcase which is quiet a bit but we do plan in shopping so I'm not sure what to do? Any advice from anyone who has been through this before? Thanks in advance
    If it was me, I would check in a suitcase, especially if you are doing some shopping. To me it is worth it, just to avoid all the hassle of trying to get everything to fit in the case, worrying about the weight. And it means that you don't have to worry about your liquids being under 100ml , just put all your toiletries in the checked bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Muffinman1

Any recommendations for a guy going over on his own to start job hunting. Looking at going for maybe 10 days and trying to save as much as possible so what is the cheapest accomodation etc and recruitment agencies and how can I make this work :p

Muffinman1 wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a guy going over on his own to start job hunting. Looking at going for maybe 10 days and trying to save as much as possible so what is the cheapest accomodation etc and recruitment agencies and how can I make this work :p

You'll probably find the Moving to London thread more useful for that Muffinman.

Lots of useful links there to recruitment agencies and plenty of good advice.

• Advertisement

wextext wrote: »
    If it was me, I would check in a suitcase, especially if you are doing some shopping. To me it is worth it, just to avoid all the hassle of trying to get everything to fit in the case, worrying about the weight. And it means that you don't have to worry about your liquids being under 100ml , just put all your toiletries in the checked bag.

Thank you I am going to do this to save hassle! I tried packing the small case last night and it was nearly full as it is so for convenience I think I will!

Hi. I am flying into gatwick airport tomorrow at lunch and staying until Sunday. Can anyone please recommend the best way of getting into central london preferably victoria? Is there any other way than the gatwick express and is it cheaper book online or much the same to book at the airport? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Gatwick express goes to Victoria but is a bit pricey (£31 return), you can get a non express train from the airport to London Bridge station for £10 return.

Not sure if it's cheaper to book online or not, but book here

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Ziboo

There is a ticket desk at Gatwick where you can buy a ticket to Victoria on the non express trains. (I think it can be about £12 return for the cheaper tickets) The time is not much different to the express.

Or you can buy online
    http://tickets.southernrailway.com/sn/en/JourneyPlanning/MixingDeck

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

Do not get the Express - it's a rip off - get the "normal" train straight into London Bridge - it's a fraction of the price and only takes a few minutes more. From there there's a Tube station which will get you anywhere - think it's about 15 minutes to Victoria

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭davidlynchis

Heading to London in May for a concert in the O2 and out in London for the night. Flying into London City and out of Luton.

Were a couple in our mid twenties so looking for something relatively close to the nightlife. I know very little of London....

All the hotels seem the same price(ish) €140-€200 for a 4* but I have heard the quality can vary greatly.

Any advice much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

3*, we strolled home from night out. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81525589

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

paddyh117 wrote: »
    Do not get the Express - it's a rip off - get the "normal" train straight into London Bridge - it's a fraction of the price and only takes a few minutes more. From there there's a Tube station which will get you anywhere - think it's about 15 minutes to Victoria

Another reason not to get the Gatwick Express: at some times of the day they are full of commuters (ever since they extended it to Brighton) so you can no longer be sure of getting a seat.

Lapin wrote: »
    The Red Lion pub in Whitehall is one of my favourite pit stops in the area. Its a nice place to enjoy pint outside and being the Prime Minister's local, you never know who might pass by!

If you're only visiting London for a day, a one day Travelcard is handier than an Oyster as it doesn't require a deposit.
    Enjoy the match !

Cheers for that!

Match is The Emirates so ok for zones I believe.

I'll keep an eye out for the Red Lion. Should be thirsty enough by then!

Also, debating whether to buy (cheaper) Southern Railway tickets from Gatwick into London now - but you have to choose a particular train - or wait until the day. Do you know how much a train ticket to/from Gatwick is on the day?

They can be got for £10 return for certain trains if I buy now.

QueenBee1 wrote: »
    Hi. I am flying into gatwick airport tomorrow at lunch and staying until Sunday. Can anyone please recommend the best way of getting into central london preferably victoria? Is there any other way than the gatwick express and is it cheaper book online or much the same to book at the airport? Thanks in advance

Just seeing this now.

Southern Railway is definitely cheaper. £10 return if you pick the cheapest train. Problem is you need to choose a train in advance. If plane is delayed then you lose out.

I'm not sure how for a ticket on the day.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Cheers for that!

Match is The Emirates so ok for zones I believe.

I'll keep an eye out for the Red Lion. Should be thirsty enough by then!

Also, debating whether to buy (cheaper) Southern Railway tickets from Gatwick into London now - but you have to choose a particular train - or wait until the day. Do you know how much a train ticket to/from Gatwick is on the day?

They can be got for £10 return for certain trains if I buy now.

Arsenal vs Everton in the Emirates? I'm going to that one too. Did you spot West Ham vs ManUtd is on the night after and is on general sale now?

I often take that train to London Bridge. It's £8.90 for the Southern and £10 for First Capital Connect for the single. FCC is 5 mins faster but just get whichever one is first.

I wouldnt book an advance ticket, the ticket machines are always busy and its close to impossible to predict how long it takes from train to plane.

Arsenal vs Everton in the Emirates? I'm going to that one too. Did you spot West Ham vs ManUtd is on the night after and is on general sale now?

I often take that train to London Bridge. It's £8.90 for the Southern and £10 for First Capital Connect for the single. FCC is 5 mins faster but just get whichever one is first.

I wouldnt book an advance ticket, the ticket machines are always busy and its close to impossible to predict how long it takes from train to plane.

That's the match! I'm going with an Everton fan - where do away fans go around the ground do you know?

£8.90 so if you roll up and get a ticket at the kiosk on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

That's the match! I'm going with an Everton fan - where do away fans go around the ground do you know?

£8.90 so if you roll up and get a ticket at the kiosk on the day?

Small world, would you believe i'm going with my bro who is an Everton fan and i'm in the away end too.

Away fans are in the clock end corner lower tier. If you're coming from the Holloway Road side its up the big stairs and go to your right. Check the gate number on your ticket, the gates are named A to Z around the ground.

Check the departure boards when you get into the Gatwick train station. See if the next train to London Bridge is a Southern or a First Capital Connect service. Southern is £8.90 single and FCC is £10 single that you get from the machines to your left. There is an option to pay in euro but the exchange rate is horrendous (something like .7/1)

Away fans are in the clock end corner lower tier. If you're coming from the Holloway Road side its up the big stairs and go to your right. Check the gate number on your ticket, the gates are named A to Z around the ground.
    Oh sorry I had pubs in mind!
    Check the departure boards when you get into the Gatwick train station. See if the next train to London Bridge is a Southern or a First Capital Connect service. Southern is £8.90 single and FCC is £10 single that you get from the machines to your left. There is an option to pay in euro but the exchange rate is horrendous (something like .7/1)
    Cheers! Good advise.

This is a great website for fans going to games over yonder.

Its full of handy tips for away fans, such as where to go for a jar and a bite to eat and gives good directions for getting to the ground as well as reviews of the stadium from supporters of other clubs.

Its my first port of call when I go over for a game, even if I've been to the ground before as its regularly updated. A printout is always a useful thing to bring along.

A word on Gatwick station. Allow yourself time to get a ticket as the place is always busy and there will more than likely be queues for the machines and at the desk at any time of the day. But don't panic about making the next train due as you won't have to wait too long for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Anyone got any recomdations for a hotel in London that is not pricey? Want it fairly central.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dropinthocean

jjbrien wrote: »
    Anyone got any recomdations for a hotel in London that is not pricey? Want it fairly central.

Dunno if you tried these already but its hard to find cheaper. You can also refine your search by distance from city centre to suit.

http://www.hotels.com/

http://www.trivago.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭finbarrk

jjbrien wrote: »
    Anyone got any recomdations for a hotel in London that is not pricey? Want it fairly central.[/QUOTE
    I usually stay in any of the Premier Inns. The rooms are nice and a good breakfast is assured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I seen the Tune Hotel neat Kings Cross the reviews look good. Is Kings Cross safe? I know in the past it had a bit of a reputation.

• Advertisement

Kings Cross is grand.

The areas around major railway stations in all big cities usually attract their share of undesirable characters and with two huge stations side by side in King's Cross this seedy element was inevitable in years gone by.

However both railway stations there have undergone massive facelifts recently and this regeneration has spilled over into the surrounding area resulting in a general tidying up of the streets. Eurostar trains from the continent now arrive at St Pancras so a lot has been done to give a good first impression to visitors arriving in London here.

Gone are the days of open drug dealing and prostitution as the area is now well policed and smartened up. New office buildings have gone up in recent years with some big name companies moving in including the Guardian Newspaper. The British Library's move to the area a few years ago has also added some respectability to the place and the worst you're likely to encounter around King's Cross nowadays is the odd street beggar. Just observe the usual cautions regarding pickpockets and keep to well lit areas as you would anywhere else.

The area is now one of the up and coming neighbourhoods in London in which to live and with lots of new hotels opening up (including Tune, converted from a former bank), the tourists are coming back, visiting places in the area like Platform 9 3/4 of Harry Potter fame, the British Library and the new Kings Place arts centre. St Pancras Station even has its own music festival running till the 9th of May.

Tune Hotel is a 5 minute walk from King's Cross along the tree lined Grays Inn Road and nextdoor to the excellent Water Rats bar.

Advertisement